Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Being able to macro ZL+Y into ZR would be great too yeah. There's so many unused buttons in this control scheme and they still decided to use the worst "button" of all, shaking

My hot take is that the game has great movement but terrible controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So I just found out about the things with Peach & Mario amiibo.

My son is going to love abusing that.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably the biggest highlight of the Wii U for me is that they hosed off with motion controls for most of their first party games

Odyssey more than makes up for its wack controls, but it shouldn't have to

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Being able to macro ZL+Y into ZR would be great too yeah. There's so many unused buttons in this control scheme and they still decided to use the worst "button" of all, shaking

Yeah I gotta agree with that. If I could play this game without the motion control nonsense it would be perfect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup.that and I'd also like to have a little more freedom with the camera angles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's pretty astounding how infrequently motion controls are actually needed in this game and how often it's brought up in this thread.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Yup.that and I'd also like to have a little more freedom with the camera angles.

One of the very first areas in the cascade kingdom doesn't let you control the camera AT ALL (when you're in the pool near the start) and it really weirded me out

Cobalt Viper posted:

It's pretty astounding of infrequently motion controls are actually needed in this game and how often it's brought up in this thread.

It's not a huge deal but it's valid in the same way not wanting to be forced to go see a movie in 3D is valid

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cobalt Viper posted:

It's pretty astounding how infrequently motion controls are actually needed in this game and how often it's brought up in this thread.

I've died a bunch of times because I wanted to butt stomp and I moved my hand and got a dive instead

I've been moving my hands excitedly during tense moments since I was a child, this is like if Nintendo made controls that punished you for leaning when you wanted to turn in Mario Kart

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cobalt Viper posted:

You need them so rarely that when you do it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's just lame having that handheld session and you run into that one moon that requires something you do with motion controls.

I don't mind them at all when playing docked though.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

There's also a trending frontpage reddit post going around today where some dude with Parkinson's on a fixed income scrimped and saved for months to afford this game and broke down crying because mandatory motion controls prevent him from being able to play

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It's not a huge deal but it's valid in the same way not wanting to be forced to go see a movie in 3D is valid

I can't think of a single movie that has been released only in 3D.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's also a trending frontpage reddit post going around today where some dude with Parkinson's on a fixed income scrimped and saved for months to afford this game and broke down crying because mandatory motion controls prevent him from being able to play

I wouldn’t put it past NOJ to neglect playtesting with the disabled in mind.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The biggest reason I don't like motion controls honestly is that I love the hat spin move and would do it constantly just for the hell of it if I could (I like it's area coverage, I like the dumb little rainbow color trail it makes, it's just cool and fun) but I either have to flick the controller around like a retard, or twirl the thumb stick around like an even bigger and somehow even less accurate or reliable retard to do it.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't think of a single movie that has been released only in 3D.

Exactly

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you guys know that you have to flick in a slow and smooth and easy in the right way to accurately use it right? throwing the controller around like a wiimote might be the problem you are having.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vikar Jerome posted:

you guys know that you have to flick in a slow and smooth and easy in the right way to accurately use it right? throwing the controller around like a wiimote might be the problem you are having.

Getting them to come out when I want them isn't a problem, the problem is it coming out when I don't want it

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Getting them to come out when I want them isn't a problem, the problem is it coming out when I don't want it

Boners and motion controls shouldn't have this much in common

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's not about necessity. it's that the moves are fun but they get bogged down by the motion controls and it makes me feel like I'll never be one of the awesome parkour guys you see online. It's just a small annoyance in a great game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How do you get to the menu to change tracks once you unlock the music player? I don't see a menu option anywhere.

Edit: Nevermind, found it! It's just all the way to the end of the list page, which makes a lot of sense.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 3, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

it's not about necessity. it's that the moves are fun but they get bogged down by the motion controls and it makes me feel like I'll never be one of the awesome parkour guys you see online. It's just a small annoyance in a great game.

its a small forward and to the side flick, either side, for the roundabout cap move. i did it on the cascade kingdom moon tunnel with all the cap cloud things and felt like a parkour master. and that was the cons in the grip.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
How in the poo poo do I get the (last non post game world) ufo by the chapel? I read online that you're supposed to let it fly away, pan around in first person mode then grab it when it respawns next to you but even when I'm riiiiiight next to it it dashes away when I move or throw my hat. Landing on it from above as a frog doesn't work either.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

That had a happy ending though. People were offering to buy him one of the third party controllers that have no gyro controls in them. Then not even that was needed because the dude realised that he could use the Gamecube controller + adapter he already had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

garfield hentai posted:

How in the poo poo do I get the (last non post game world) ufo by the chapel? I read online that you're supposed to let it fly away, pan around in first person mode then grab it when it respawns next to you but even when I'm riiiiiight next to it it dashes away when I move or throw my hat. Landing on it from above as a frog doesn't work either.

Get loving lucky with timing a homing Cappy shot, in my experience.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

cheetah7071 posted:

My hot take is that you can do lots of cool moves without any need to use motion controls, so while yeah it would be cool if they patch it so that you can just hit a button to do it, it's really not so big a deal that you need to make a million posts about it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Darker Side: I'm at the section where you have to cross the lava on the fork jumps. Kind of bullshit that touching the lava once is pretty much a death sentence seeing as I went into that section with 6 hearts and still couldn't make it to land bouncing. How far through am i?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Darker Side: I'm at the section where you have to cross the lava on the fork jumps. Kind of bullshit that touching the lava once is pretty much a death sentence seeing as I went into that section with 6 hearts and still couldn't make it to land bouncing. How far through am i?

Like halfway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

You can hat throw out of a lava bounce, I think, which can save a run. After that you have 3 more sections of varying lengths iirc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My only problem with the motion controls is that some moons seem designed around getting that extra height or speed from captured enemies with the waggle, and I don't really feel like that extra boost should be a necessary factor for collectibles. The motion controls for advanced cap moves don't really bother me too much, half because most aren't actually all that useful and even the ones that are never feel necessary, and half that the last like 4 mario games have used the system's gimmicks and these honestly feel less bad than stuff like blowing into the gamepad's mic or using tilt controls for orb rolling.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nephzinho posted:

Probably 70% of the way done if you get through the forks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My only problem with the motion controls is that some moons seem designed around getting that extra height or speed from captured enemies with the waggle, and I don't really feel like that extra boost should be a necessary factor for collectibles. The motion controls for advanced cap moves don't really bother me too much, half because most aren't actually all that useful and even the ones that are never feel necessary, and half that the last like 4 mario games have used the system's gimmicks and these honestly feel less bad than stuff like blowing into the gamepad's mic or using tilt controls for orb rolling.
There's like 4 moons out of 700 that absolutely require motion controls to get.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Mostly done but one of the sections to come is what i'd consider the only consistently difficult part of the level, so it might take a bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cobalt Viper posted:

There's like 4 moons out of 700 that absolutely require motion controls to get.

Yeah I know it's not much but when I collect those moons it feels weird that these did require motion controls when everything else didn't. Just feels like a designer forgot to adjust something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The motion controls work great when I want to have them but come out at random times just because I'm moving my hands for non-gameplay-related reasons and it sucks

e: It really isn't that big a deal though yeah

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

This was almost comically easy? I didn't even really think it was possible to fail, unless you just stood stationary on a falling floor piece for an extended period of time. You're talking about the escape right after the chapel fight, correct?

Did you just not get the whole after you destroy 2 or 3 of the pillars, most of the blocks immediately turn gold and rapidly fall away? It took me that long to get a stable route to the last one.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

You can hat throw out of a lava bounce, I think, which can save a run. After that you have 3 more sections of varying lengths iirc.

You can't, lava without nearby ground is functionally a pit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I definitely landed on the lava once but still got a capture off. I think what might be happening is that if you throw cappy right before you hit lava, he can still attach to something and pull you out of what would be a death trap.

Speaking of which, I beat Darker Side last night. Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, only taking an hour or so. I've never played the other challenge levels in recent Mario games but I've watched them and they look much nastier than Darker Side was. The only part I felt was really cruel was the wood pecker jumps, but I found a way to cheese it after failing twice.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nephzinho posted:

You can't, lava without nearby ground is functionally a pit.
You can definitely throw your hat on the forks to save you there. Although there are no I-frames to speak of, the lava still takes 1hp every time you touch it and isn't instakill like the purp poison.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cobalt Viper posted:

You can definitely throw your hat on the forks to save you there. Although there are no I-frames to speak of, the lava still takes 1hp every time you touch it and isn't instakill like the purp poison.

I had it happen to me and was spamming throw and never even got a throw off, letalone hit something.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

garfield hentai posted:

My strategy for this was to walk up slowly then pause whenever it jumps. It took a bit of experimentation to figure out how to even get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The last moon I need to get is the 100 jump rope one and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible and everyone claiming they got it is lying to me :sigh:

I've been trying this thing for over a week and I still haven't gotten past 60. Mario just always lands on the rope or springs to high, or I just wind up getting way to focused and beef it.

• Locked thread