Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sort of related since I live in Amish country...a guy was sentenced taking out an Amish buggy a few weeks ago and killed a bunch of kids. Can't find the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:negative:

I let him get reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally far ahead of me before I went. Those tiles are 10+ lbs each.

Okay, so they're pretty heavy. No need to secure them...

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, because loving morons like that exist, road makers really should put emergency stopping lanes on both sides of multilane freeways.

All that does is give cops a place to run speed traps and encourage people in shitheaps to camp in the left lane so they can be next to a breakdown lane.

The dude in the white SUV doesn't react at all until he's within a car length. That's a reckless level of inattention on his part.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The stopped car's fourways are definitely on. It's hard to see the passenger-side flash but it's there.

SUV's driver was probably nose deep in their phone. Some people have to learn their lessons the hard and expensive way.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
No shoulder you say?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=536_1509698823

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I would be stunned if that passenger who took the unscheduled flight did not have a broken neck. Also wouldn't shock me horribly if neither of them survived.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The shoulder gets used in this one...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f76_1509747954

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

I would be stunned if that passenger who took the unscheduled flight did not have a broken neck. Also wouldn't shock me horribly if neither of them survived.

Prepare to be stunned.

DailyMail.co.uk posted:

The rider smashes into the rear of the car as his passenger is sent flying over the roof before landing at least 20 metres (65 feet) further along the motorway.

Emergency services were called and police attended the scene.

The 24-year-old motorcyclist and the 21-year-old pillion rider were taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. Both had leg injuries and are believed to still be under hospital care.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uhh.... how does that driver choose to nail all the squishy bits instead of just hitting some cars or other trucks?

Well, it appears that they survived anyway, but it doesn't rule out a broken neck.. just doesn't mention it! Fairly amazing regardless.

From that same article you linked:

quote:

'The 24-year-old male motorcyclist and his 21-year-old male pillion rider were unconscious when conveyed to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital.

I would think more than just leg injuries if they were both still unconscious when transported, but who knows.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Locator posted:

Uhh.... how does that driver choose to nail all the squishy bits instead of just hitting some cars or other trucks?
Just a guess, but the driver wasn't paying attention, didn't want to stop for the traffic in the actual lanes, decided to take the shoulder instead, and whoops there's people on the shoulder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

The cars and trucks probably cost more to claim on insurance.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Here's a video about flying cars. No, not that sort, the other kind.

There're probably many people getting all kinds of hosed up, but there's no gore in the video.

This one at 30 seconds probably set a record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv-pKZ_rCcc&t=32s

Also, a massive jump scare at 1:10.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shame they missed this one.

https://i.imgur.com/k2MChNx.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Shame they missed this one.

https://i.imgur.com/k2MChNx.gifv

I'm that white truck stopping, clearly going "... what the gently caress"

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Saw a numpty travelling down the road yesterday, with their rear (and probably front I didn't see) indicators and not only tinted, but tinted to the point I could hardly make out the light when they indicated, I wish I could watch the cops nick them for it as I'm sure it's a decent sized fine and road worthy status revoked.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Taken on the NJ Turnpike outside of Newark. Has Pennsylvania plates, no front end damage to suggest roadkill special, and yes that is blood dripping off the trunk. :stonk:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
It's about the right time for deer season, that might be a legally killed deer.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

dee eight posted:

Yeah, the gaping abdominal hole says that deer was field dressed and is probably on its way to a butcher. A quick google says its permit bow season, restricted to antlerless without an extra permit in NJ.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I did a double take as I was in a Lyft and went under that bridge like 2 weeks ago. I didn’t even know that I was in the same city as it. I just thought “hey that looked familiar!” and had to frantically Google where that bridge is located to confirm. My girlfriend didn’t understand the excitement but the Lyft driver did.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 6, 2017

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

dee eight posted:

zharmad posted:

Yeah, the gaping abdominal hole says that deer was field dressed and is probably on its way to a butcher. A quick google says its permit bow season, restricted to antlerless without an extra permit in NJ.

I get that much. The real question is where exactly they're coming from and where exactly they're going. This is about where we were going southbound.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...4.1187145?hl=en

Almost everyone on the road is either coming from NYC or the immediate area and that region of NJ going up to the NY state line has no public dear hunting land. You can go further west in NJ to hunt dear but by that point I-287 or the Garden State Parkway is a more viable route. I suppose they could be coming from upstate NY but that seems like an awful far way to carry a dear carcass even if they're preferred butcher is in the Newark area.

There's also the wisdom of strapping a dear carcass on the trunk of a '90 S-Class and allowing it to bleed all over it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

dee eight posted:

zharmad posted:

I've thrown one in the trunk with a tarp... If I didn't have one, I might prefer to get blood on the paint rather than the carpet and spare tire and whatever else is in the trunk. Let the waterproofing do its job and keep the nasty stuff where it's easier to hose off.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Didn't like the way the person behind me was driving so I changed lanes as we came to a red light. Less than 20 seconds later they'd crashed into the back of the car in front. Don't know what the damage was but their car wore the tow bar of the car to the radiator

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

As someone who drives a PT Cruiser (yeah, yeah, it's cheap, it's reliable, and I'm too poor to get a new car) I have an intense dislike for trucks that like to park their high-beams in my giant rear window. Especially since I work night shifts and I come back from work at 6 AM.

That hate intensifies when I get someone with automatic high-beams that turn off when it gets too bright...such as when they ride my bumper. Had some giant pickup using his high beams to gauge safe following distance from me until I got out of the fast lane and let him zoom ahead to bug the next guy. Of course the "safe following distance" his high beams gave him as they blinked on and off again for the five miles he was behind me was better suited for 30 MPH instead of the 75-80 I was cruising at.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alkydere posted:

That hate intensifies when I get someone with automatic high-beams that turn off when it gets too bright...such as when they ride my bumper. Had some giant pickup using his high beams to gauge safe following distance from me until I got out of the fast lane and let him zoom ahead to bug the next guy. Of course the "safe following distance" his high beams gave him as they blinked on and off again for the five miles he was behind me was better suited for 30 MPH instead of the 75-80 I was cruising at.
Highlighted your problem for you.

The passing lane is for passing. It is not the "I'm driving fast enough" lane. If someone else wants to go faster than you in the passing lane, you get over and let them.

I guarantee those weren't automatic high beams, but the driver behind you flashing their high beams trying to get that across to you.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah there have been a surprising number of times where I've been steaming along at 90+ and still had to move over for faster traffic. If fast enough for me isn't fast enough for someone else then I see no reason to hold them up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tarantula posted:

Saw a numpty travelling down the road yesterday, with their rear (and probably front I didn't see) indicators and not only tinted, but tinted to the point I could hardly make out the light when they indicated, I wish I could watch the cops nick them for it as I'm sure it's a decent sized fine and road worthy status revoked.

On the other side of stupid light modifications, the other day I was in front a Suburban or something fuckoff huge like that who had replaced their amber indicator lights with blue ones. It clearly wasn't a police car, wouldn't something like that be illegal?

(At least they were actually using their indicator, though.)

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah there have been a surprising number of times where I've been steaming along at 90+ and still had to move over for faster traffic. If fast enough for me isn't fast enough for someone else then I see no reason to hold them up.

Even if I'm barreling past traffic I'll get over if someone comes up to my rear end on the highway. They'll find the cops before I do, if nothing else.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Protocol7 posted:

On the other side of stupid light modifications, the other day I was in front a Suburban or something fuckoff huge like that who had replaced their amber indicator lights with blue ones. It clearly wasn't a police car, wouldn't something like that be illegal?

You already know the answer to that, don't you?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

It (typically) is, but it's not going to be enforced unless a cop on traffic detail A) sees it and B) cares enough to do something about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dave Inc. posted:

Depends. If I'm in the middle of passing someone, I'm not pulling in earlier than is a reasonable gap in front of them. Unfortunately, the kind of person who lacks situational awareness to the point they come barrelling up behind you when in that scenario is also the kind of person who'll cut up the inside of you just before you do so.

Sitting in the outside lane unnecessarily is bad. Trying to bully people out the outside lane when they're overtaking is bad. The issue is that there's plenty of people who have the attitude of either "I can sit in whatever lane I want", or "I want to go faster and everyone should get out my way".

The thing is, these interactions of flowing in and out the outside lane to allow faster traffic to flow while the "middle" speed traffic still overtakes people actually go pretty smoothly if the drivers involved are halfway competent and observant. The problem comes from the fact that the world is full of people who are thick as pigshit.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

InitialDave posted:

Depends. If I'm in the middle of passing someone, I'm not pulling in earlier than is a reasonable gap in front of them. Unfortunately, the kind of person who lacks situational awareness to the point they come barrelling up behind you when in that scenario is also the kind of person who'll cut up the inside of you just before you do so.

This is why I try to put my turn signal on when I am level with the car I am overtaking. Lets the impatient person behind me know that I am getting over for them shortly. Lets the car I am passing know I will be pulling in front of them when there is space (they might even slow down and give you the room faster!). Once there is space for me and I've checked for bikes one more time, I can get over and the impatient gets to fly ahead!

This hasn't prevented the impatient from squeezing into the gap the moment it exists every time, but it has cut down on the people shooting for that gap considerably.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dave Inc. posted:

Well hell yes. If someone else wants to overtake me at that speed you bet your sweet bippy I'll get over for them to take the reigns. Means easier sailing ahead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
People faster than me are just cop detectors. It works out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got blitzed pretty good the other night by someone in mercedes. I had cruise control set to 70 and they whizzed by at well north of 100. Not sure how to accurately estimate someone else's speed but I'd want to say he was going twice the speed I was, I didn't even have time to check the badge on the rear bumper.

Only reason it annoyed me is because my exit was a mile up the road and couldn't make use of a stretch of highway that was certified cop free.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

I got blitzed pretty good the other night by someone in mercedes. I had cruise control set to 70 and they whizzed by at well north of 100. Not sure how to accurately estimate someone else's speed but I'd want to say he was going twice the speed I was, I didn't even have time to check the badge on the rear bumper.

Only reason it annoyed me is because my exit was a mile up the road and couldn't make use of a stretch of highway that was certified cop free.

Sorry.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

People faster than me are just cop detectors. It works out.

Exactly. I've never been able to understand why anyone wouldn't want to let a faster driver in front of them. I love having a rabbit about 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead, preferably a bright colored sports car.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkVJvMQ3ns

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The thing that really gets me is when I'm cruising in the left lane (because the middle lane is full) and someone slowly creeps up behind me until they're riding my rear end. I move over to let them pass, and they sit there in my blind spot until I'm approaching the car in front of me, then slowly pass me so I'm forced to slow down. Then when I move over behind them THEY slow down, so we're going slower than when they were behind me. This happens so god damned often. Once someone pulls that poo poo on me, if I get back in front of them I don't give them the opportunity to try it again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wonder if the various anti-collision sensors in a lot of modern cars could be used to tell the driver "hey, you're being a lane hog, speed up or move over", and preferably paired with any auto-drive features to get out of the way automatically.

I'd say these seem like reasonable criteria:

1. Multi-lane road. (no point on a single lane road, though maybe similar logic could be applied when a turnout is identified).
2. No vehicles detected ahead. (It'd be stupid for this to go off while you're in traffic and letting someone by would only help them by the length of your car)
3a. No traffic detected to the slow side.
-OR-
3b. Speed differential with the traffic to the slow side <5 MPH. (5 MPH difference gets you past a semi truck in a bit over 10 seconds, any slower is more pacing than passing)
4. Vehicle detected close behind or approaching quickly.

I think that would make it ignore rear end in a top hat tailgaters but let you know when you're the one being the rear end in a top hat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I will never get over someone trying to brake check a loving truck.

How could you ever possibly think it would end well for you :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

wolrah posted:

I wonder if the various anti-collision sensors in a lot of modern cars could be used to tell the driver "hey, you're being a lane hog, speed up or move over", and preferably paired with any auto-drive features to get out of the way automatically.

I'd say these seem like reasonable criteria:

1. Multi-lane road. (no point on a single lane road, though maybe similar logic could be applied when a turnout is identified).
2. No vehicles detected ahead. (It'd be stupid for this to go off while you're in traffic and letting someone by would only help them by the length of your car)
3a. No traffic detected to the slow side.
-OR-
3b. Speed differential with the traffic to the slow side <5 MPH. (5 MPH difference gets you past a semi truck in a bit over 10 seconds, any slower is more pacing than passing)
4. Vehicle detected close behind or approaching quickly.

I think that would make it ignore rear end in a top hat tailgaters but let you know when you're the one being the rear end in a top hat.
Option 4 leaves room for a BMW rear end in a top hat executive mode to abuse the AI in other cars.

In other news, I got to listen to my boss brag about the anti-laser coating in her Range Rover's windshield so that she is immune to speeding tickets. It's just a laser based HUD. I was satisfied when the next thing she said was complaining about the maintenance like $200 for an oil change ("it's got an advanced filter, but it's just a Ford motor") or $780 to do the front brakes.