Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

He ran an ad about how much he hates superpredators and wants to execute them all
https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/926297680455888896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he's literally responding to every made up attack ad gillespie airs it's just sad

and it's not even the gillespie campaign; every dem candidate in the state has had the same ms-13 and sexual predator poo poo thrown at them

in other words

https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/926306615975927808

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

He ran an ad about how much he hates superpredators and wants to execute them all
https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/926297680455888896

That ad says he advocated for life sentences for violent sexual predators and longer sentences for gang members but don't let reality get in the way of smearing a democrat 3 days before a critical election.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
we have to embrace Trumpian rhetoric about the criminality of the lesser races in order to defeat rhetoric about the criminality of the lesser races

looking forward to 2018 democratic candidates running on their willingness to hold public debate on the Jewish Question

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Okay, so this is the "Northam and the Dems playing on the Gop's turf" thing. Not new, horrifically stupid, borderline hate-enabling cessation of moral ground in the name of courting light red voters

Yeah we just saw this fail last year, and Gillespie it's going to win. Also holy gently caress that predator video, Northam can get hosed. If I had to canvas for him to keep the Holocaust 2.0 from happening, that's one area I'd make sure to be able to divert away from if it came up. Probably focus down ticket, introducing people to closer, more local issues and offices is p successful

Obama was so good at this, how can the entire loving party have lost literally every shred of experience from his two campaigns

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ze Pollack posted:

we have to embrace Trumpian rhetoric about the criminality of the lesser races in order to defeat rhetoric about the criminality of the lesser races

looking forward to 2018 democratic candidates running on their willingness to hold public debate on the Jewish Question

Or you could find other issues that get voters riled, up, you could also run a campaign that actually inspires people. Which Northam has not. Northam and the Virginia Democrats acted like they were owed votes in this election, and decided to play with kid gloves. They're losing because of that. Oh also, don't push right like Northam did on Sanctuary cities issue, because that does piss off your own base.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah we just saw this fail last year, and Gillespie it's going to win. Also holy gently caress that predator video, Northam can get hosed. If I had to canvas for him to keep the Holocaust 2.0 from happening, that's one area I'd make sure to be able to divert away from if it came up. Probably focus down ticket, introducing people to closer, more local issues and offices is p successful

Now is not the time to be saying this. If you have comments about racist videos, the only time you should be saying them is during the primaries.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in totally undeserved fairness, while Northam's certainly shooting himself in the foot he's got a decent chance of dragging himself over the finish line regardless

he sure as hell ain't helping his cause, though. it's the question that always gets me: who the gently caress do they think they are picking up with this poo poo? there are places in the Midwest where I can see this being a defensible if disgusting strategy realpolitik-wise. no immigrants to piss off, plenty of people terrified of the Brown Menace coming to take their jobs who are predisposed to dislike Republicans... there are places you run Ossof and not Quist, is what I am getting at, here.

who the gently caress is the Virginian demographic Northam thinks is on the fence about him, and just need to be reminded he'll crush the untermenschen?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

who the gently caress is the Virginian demographic Northam thinks is on the fence about him, and just need to be reminded he'll crush the untermenschen?

Jim Webb?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

in totally undeserved fairness, while Northam's certainly shooting himself in the foot he's got a decent chance of dragging himself over the finish line regardless

he sure as hell ain't helping his cause, though. it's the question that always gets me: who the gently caress do they think they are picking up with this poo poo? there are places in the Midwest where I can see this being a defensible if disgusting strategy realpolitik-wise. no immigrants to piss off, plenty of people terrified of the Brown Menace coming to take their jobs who are predisposed to dislike Republicans... there are places you run Ossof and not Quist, is what I am getting at, here.

The Panera Breads of Raytheon Acres, Virginia love him.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ze Pollack posted:

defense contractor sociopaths in nova, probably

the problem with that strategy is gillespie isn't campaigning on ending the dc gravy train like trump was

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I for one am glad to see northram take up the anti-superpredators banner, they've been off the hook since the 90s and that is shameful

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, so this is the "Northam and the Dems playing on the Gop's turf" thing. Not new, horrifically stupid, borderline hate-enabling cessation of moral ground in the name of courting light red voters

Obama was so good at this, how can the entire loving party have lost literally every shred of experience from his two campaigns

I don't think this is the sort of thing that will outright cost Northam the election, as horrible and insanely stupid as it is. That said, ads like that and so many more are among the reasons why people brought up the fact the campaign went along with assigning their marketing to Team Mothership - the same Team Mothership responsible for the Ossof ads that were so terrible you could make a convincing argument they were consciously designed to harm his chances.

Sneaky edit: obviously you can't blame totally blame the grifters here since Northam starred in these ads and I suppose never once went 'nope, this all works out, I think this'll go swimmingly'.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 3, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

some say he's still out there, killing that vietnamese man to this very day

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fyi ossoff's ads went over well with actual 06 voters, which should tell you just a little bit about the challenges of knocking on doors in hyper ultra educated and rich East Cobb County and proximal Fulton

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Now is not the time to be saying this. If you have comments about racist videos, the only time you should be saying them is during the primaries.
Don't dictate when people are allowed to speak their mind.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mormon Star Wars posted:

No, the time to say this and tip the party just a little more toward a progressive chair is all the goddamn time.

Kilroy posted:

I keep reading a blend of your av's second and third lines as "Fragilité" and it fits

this is an intentionally content free attack

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 3, 2017

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kilroy posted:

I'm just going by their own standards that you should keep your mouth shut during an election and endorse whoever is running against the Republican no matter what. I'm personally in favor of constant criticism as a way to push candidates towards better positions, no matter what year it is.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

That ad says he advocated for life sentences for violent sexual predators and longer sentences for gang members but don't let reality get in the way of smearing a democrat 3 days before a critical election.

It's called dog whistling

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm just going by their own standards that you should keep your mouth shut during an election and endorse whoever is running against the Republican no matter what. I'm personally in favor of constant criticism as a way to push candidates towards better positions, no matter what year it is.

The Dems need some formalized struggle sessions.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

It's called JeffersonClay posting, don't bother engaging because he is the target demo for these ads and Ossof's

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

American activists for Palestine didn't move Bernie's position by holding their criticism until 2017, they stayed on him for three years and didn't stop making a big deal out of it. Not advocating for your position during elections is shooting yourself in the foot.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Creigh Deeds melting in the face of Republican attacks got the Hampton Roads area a 50-year toll arrangement that guarantees profits to a foreign holding company that is currently in the process of choking what life was left in Portsmouth.

God I hope Northam gets over the finish line.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he's literally responding to every made up attack ad gillespie airs it's just sad

He's been doing this the entire campaign.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

American activists for Palestine didn't move Bernie's position by holding their criticism until 2017, they stayed on him for three years and didn't stop making a big deal out of it. Not advocating for your position during elections is shooting yourself in the foot.

Bernie is still against BDS so looks like that didn't work

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I'm late to the whole Northam controversy/vote your conscience discussion and while I'm sympathetic to the argument that voting for the lesser evil only enables it, I bet if Gillespie wins, VA will pass voter ID laws that would make electing a better candidate than Northam in 2021 much, much, much harder.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

this is an intentionally content free attack
I would expect nothing less.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

shrike82 posted:

Bernie is still against BDS so looks like that didn't work

Compare his views on Palestine between 2014 and 2017. The work's never over, that doesn't mean you give up.

(It also doesn't mean you take off-years.)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

MooselanderII posted:

I'm late to the whole Northam controversy/vote your conscience discussion and while I'm sympathetic to the argument that voting for the lesser evil only enables it, I bet if Gillespie wins, VA will pass voter ID laws that would make electing a better candidate than Northam in 2021 much, much, much harder.

We’ve already got voter ID laws of a sort, but they’re semi lax. I managed to use my Kennedy Center ID for an absentee in person ballot.

Just about any ID card will do, so if they try to pull an Alabama and close all the DMV’s, the whole state will go into a frenzy due to all the unfixable paperwork. Every car owner will be fined into oblivion. We’re talking debtors prison penal colony level madness.

Now, selling every highway to a foreign company for tolls? That’ll be completed by 2020 easy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what's the atmosphere going around the campaign Fancy?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

It’s loving what’s his face all over again, the Dem candidate in the 80s that HW smeared for not being tough on crime. The response appears to be “nu uh see how much we can hate POC” too, which is asinine.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s loving what’s his face all over again, the Dem candidate in the 80s that HW smeared for not being tough on crime. The response appears to be “nu uh see how much we can hate POC” too, which is asinine.

Dukakis. And the ad you're looking for is Willi Horto.> Also they attacked him as some sort of wimp for riding on a tank, despite the fact Dukakis had served in the Military during the late 50s. Really though like Northam, Dukais was not someone cut out for a vicious election. Say what you want about McAuliffe, he know how to be vicious, which Northam obviously doesn't.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what's the atmosphere going around the campaign Fancy?

Can’t speak to the campaign proper - i interact with the labor movement, not the Virginia DP. Labor leadership is pretty angry about the mother of unforced errors (and we all agree this is why we endorsed Perriello in the first place), but we’re guardedly optimistic. Turnout for volunteer walks are higher than 2016. That’s insane. We had to rent the night club next door to accommodate tomorrow’s crowd (200-300 expected!) So enthusiasm is high. The rank and file haven’t heard about what we’re bitching about - not the leaflets, not the sanctuary city ads - they’re mostly hype to beat down the Republicans.

It’s the last week of the campaign, so we’re mostly just tired more than anything. I’m grateful that so many people, here and elsewhere, want to help finish this thing. The virtual phone bank goon squad have put up some great numbers. The NoVA goons have been amazing on Saturdays. It’s been great. This dead gay forum can still do amazing things.

The delegate races have been encouraging, and we’re set to make some good gains in the house - our over/under is about seven seats, and if we got double digit gains l we’d be over the moon. (It will take 17 seats to take the house, and none of us think that’s possible.) Roem knocking out Bob Marshall would be a thunderclap, and that victory alone will make it a good night.

I’m going home, I’m eating noodles, and I’m passing out. 83 hours until the polls open, and the coffee isn’t drinking itself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Can’t speak to the campaign proper - i interact with the labor movement, not the Virginia DP. Labor leadership is pretty angry about the mother of unforced errors (and we all agree this is why we endorsed Perriello in the first place), but we’re guardedly optimistic. Turnout for volunteer walks are higher than 2016. That’s insane. We had to rent the night club next door to accommodate tomorrow’s crowd (200-300 expected!) So enthusiasm is high. The rank and file haven’t heard about what we’re bitching about - not the leaflets, not the sanctuary city ads - they’re mostly hype to beat down the Republicans.

It’s the last week of the campaign, so we’re mostly just tired more than anything. I’m grateful that so many people, here and elsewhere, want to help finish this thing. The virtual phone bank goon squad have put up some great numbers. The NoVA goons have been amazing on Saturdays. It’s been great. This dead gay forum can still do amazing things.

The delegate races have been encouraging, and we’re set to make some good gains in the house - our over/under is about seven seats, and if we got double digit gains l we’d be over the moon. (It will take 17 seats to take the house, and none of us think that’s possible.) Roem knocking out Bob Marshall would be a thunderclap, and that victory alone will make it a good night.

I’m going home, I’m eating noodles, and I’m passing out. 83 hours until the polls open, and the coffee isn’t drinking itself.

Those volunteer numbers are great to hear. If Northam can just hold on by simply the margin Hillary won the state by we'll all breath a huge sigh of relief. You're doing awesome work.

Northam deserves all the poo poo he's getting for his comments but I truly don't think its as damaging among the general voting population as it is for people like D&D Goons who are plugged in 24/7 for political poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 4, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If he wins, a lot of VA Democrats are going to remember this week's nonsense if he tries to run for Warner's vacant-for-some-reason seat. Hope he wins, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

Dukakis. And the ad you're looking for is Willi Horto.> Also they attacked him as some sort of wimp for riding on a tank, despite the fact Dukakis had served in the Military during the late 50s. Really though like Northam, Dukais was not someone cut out for a vicious election. Say what you want about McAuliffe, he know how to be vicious, which Northam obviously doesn't.

mcauliffe also had the good fortune to have the ken "the cooch" cuccinelli as an opponent, and he still barely squeaked by

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is Northam just spineless or is there some bigger reason for him making GBS threads his pants every time there's even a slightest chance that he did something to upset racist whites

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RottenK posted:

is Northam just spineless or is there some bigger reason for him making GBS threads his pants every time there's even a slightest chance that he did something to upset racist whites

There are bunch of them in Virginia and they vote?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

There are bunch of them in Virginia and they vote?
...and he mistakenly believes they were ever going to vote for him in the first place. Don't forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Has anyone tried spritzing him and rubbing his nose on the ad? Bopping him with newspaper until he learns not to gently caress up by reflex?

• Locked thread