Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That picture made me realize that I’ve never set up Apple Pay on a phone (since I had a 5S and a Watch). Isn’t the card you have tied to your Apple account supposed to be linked automatically?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That picture made me realize that I’ve never set up Apple Pay on a phone (since I had a 5S and a Watch). Isn’t the card you have tied to your Apple account supposed to be linked automatically?

It is but it depends on your bank. I had to call my CU and activate apple pay on my account before it would work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It asks you during set up of your phone if you want to use the card on your apple account for apple pay.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Am I right to assume that the demo units didn’t have 3rd party apps because they weren’t updated in time?

Phone looked and felt nice, swipe up to return home feels natural, but I don’t like the additional time to multitask. Still prefer my neurotic fast taps with the home button. Guess I won’t have a choice in a few years though :shobon:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My phone showed up 15 minutes before I had to leave! So of course I'm setting it up as quickly as possible because what am I going to do, leave the house with a crappy iphone 7??

How long has the "use old phone near new phone" method of setup been a thing? That's pretty cool

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

It asks you during set up of your phone if you want to use the card on your apple account for apple pay.
That actually stirs a memory. Thanks, All working as intended I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I use Apple Pay almost exclusively with the watch to the point I forgot how to use it on the phone the last time I forgot to bring my watch for lunch.

Apple Pay owns is what I'm getting at.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dogen posted:

My phone showed up 15 minutes before I had to leave! So of course I'm setting it up as quickly as possible because what am I going to do, leave the house with a crappy iphone 7??

How long has the "use old phone near new phone" method of setup been a thing? That's pretty cool

It’s an iOS 11 feature

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I use Apple Pay almost exclusively with the watch to the point I forgot how to use it on the phone the last time I forgot to bring my watch for lunch.

Apple Pay owns is what I'm getting at.

My bank got Apple Pay a month or two back, I've only used it on my phone once but loads of times on the watch. It's so so good.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

It is but it depends on your bank. I had to call my CU and activate apple pay on my account before it would work.

most will just let apple put the request through and activate it without that, which is nice. perks of having total control of the os/hardware stack and a history of clearly making people aware of what they're agreeing to (itunes terms of service aside); banks can pretty much trust apple not to sign people up for poo poo silently

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ugh I bought the Samsung Qi charger but it doesn’t come with a cable so

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

illcendiary posted:

Am I right to assume that the demo units didn’t have 3rd party apps because they weren’t updated in time?

Phone looked and felt nice, swipe up to return home feels natural, but I don’t like the additional time to multitask. Still prefer my neurotic fast taps with the home button. Guess I won’t have a choice in a few years though :shobon:

sliding the home indicator to switch apps instantly is pretty sharp tho (for 99% of what people are using the multitask switcher for) and will probably save you a ton more time in the long run. i'm probably the only person who cares about it but i never really liked the short delay imposed by on the 'go home' action by the system having to wait for a potential double tap on the home button. actually who am i kidding, i just never liked knowing about it in a 'you are now breathing manually' way when perturbed by the slowness of my older iphone

can you still swipe apps away on the X multitasking switcher? i'm reading reviews that are saying it's now a long press and a tap of the delete icon to get rid of them. if so that is the closest thing i'm going to get to my 'deliver a small electric shock to the people in the habit of swiping away all their apps for no reason' and i love it

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

can you still swipe apps away on the X multitasking switcher?

Once you long press and get the delete icon you can swipe away!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Pivo posted:

Ugh I bought the Samsung Qi charger but it doesn’t come with a cable so

Turns out I had a second micro USB cable from my CODE keyboard

I'm pretty sure that wireless charging is the best thing ever now

It is kinda funny throwing my iPhone down on a Samsung logo

Also, the ladies at Best Buy DO NOT LIKE when you open the products on the floor
"I wanted to make sure this is the one that stands up! You sell a nearly identical one that lies flat!"
She's like "... yeah. the box is thinner on the flat one. don't open boxes though, even we're not allowed to open them"

so if you go to Best Buy to buy a charger, the thick Samsung box is the one that stands up

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I should have done a local back up, iCloud restore is basically frozen. I have gigabit and it has barely restored 3 apps in the last 30 minutes

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

puppy party posted:

Once you long press and get the delete icon you can swipe away!

drat!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm literally on the Hei, Hello, Hallo screen as I update to 11.1 and my phone just arrived, but the screen has kind of a mild pinkness to it. Is this just like nightshift in effect or something? Or some other hue adjustment?

[edit]

kingcobweb posted:

It’s an iOS 11 feature

It's so loving slick.

[edit2] I got farther. It;s TrueTone Display.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 4, 2017

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I'm literally on the Hei, Hello, Hallo screen as I update to 11.1 and my phone just arrived, but the screen has kind of a mild pinkness to it. Is this just like nightshift in effect or something? Or some other hue adjustment?

It's the “True Tone” feature detecting the white point in your room. I was concerned too when I was setting mine up. You can turn it off later.

Edit: I see you figured it out already

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 4, 2017

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Has anyone on the Apple upgrade program got their return mailer for their old phone yet? I have the new phone and mailing instructions that were emailed to me, but no mailer yet.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
8 hours now and none of my apps have installed after restoring. All stuck on waiting or loading.

I did an hour long chat session with Apple, after being handed off twice a “senior advisor” told me it can sometimes take a few days for apps to restore so *shrug*

Very frustrated with this.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
So, as far as I can tell nobody at Apple bothered to update its own Clips app and nobody there noticed.

edit: the time and content of this image were totally unintentional.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nobody in the world uses clips

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I downloaded it and couldn’t even figure out what you were *supposed* to do with it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
What the gently caress is clips, this is the first time I've ever seen it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If when I encrypt a backup to iTunes and it doesn't ask me for a password, but then I try to restore and it asks for a password, and it's neither my iTunes password or my phone's 6 digit pin, what the gently caress IS it?!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The password you entered the first time you did an encrypted backup, I think.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The password you entered the first time you did an encrypted backup, I think.

Jesus. That was probably many generations ago. trying all my usuals. Bleh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good luck. To quote Apple,

There is no way to recover your information or turn off Encrypt Backup if you lose or forget the password.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
When the 5 came out almost no apps supported the aspect ratio for months. It’s nice that the vast majority of what I’ve tried so far already supports the weird rear end X ratio. Yay!

loving love this phone so far. The screen is fabulous. I don’t even really notice the notch save for in full screen video, even then not a huge deal. FaceID isn’t perfect tho. I often unlock my phone laying on my desk and that angle is too much for it. I have to tilt it up a little. I’m sure I’ll get use to it, but it’s a bit of a thing right now.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

It's been like 12 hours since stores opened and we no RANDOMPROBLEMgate yet?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shapur posted:

it's exactly what we expected, which was promised, which was marketed,

which is weird.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How about OLED burn-in gate?

Apple released info today that oled burn in is considered “normal”.

Interested to see how that manifests...

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Shapur posted:

I guess my issue activating isn't as widespread as it seemed?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So if I use True Tone does that mean I can turn off night shift? 🤔

(I guess it doesn’t matter but I was just wondering.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I miss when a new game came out to show off a new generation of hardware.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

the gently caress is clips

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

How about OLED burn-in gate?

Apple released info today that oled burn in is considered “normal”.

Interested to see how that manifests...

Couldn't help but notice that it didn't take my existing auto-lock setting "never" and defaulted to "30 seconds"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Couldn't help but notice that it didn't take my existing auto-lock setting "never" and defaulted to "30 seconds"

Can it be set to never?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it just ignores your setting when migrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Yo Clips is awesome. I have a zillion little movie things of my kid I’ve made to send to the grandparents.

It’s a colossal pain in the rear end to figure out and has a real unintuitive UI but the results can be great.