Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

~Coxy posted:

Uh, I just activated the key and got Viscera Cleanup Detail? What the heck?

Shadow Warrior comes with an exclusive demo of Viscera Cleanup Detail where you clean up after Wang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also Viscera is surprisingly fun and relaxing when you're playing with friends.

Until one of them spills a blood bucket.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
There's some kind of free game giveaway here: https://account.asmodee.net/en/redeem/gencon2017

Requires a simple account sign up. You can get either Mysterium or Ticket To Ride for free. I was able to get both by making two accounts with throwaway email addresses. Took like two minutes. Supposedly limited keys.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Pony Island and Space Pilgrim Episode 1 are free right now on humble bundle, all you need to do is give them an e-mail. I haven't played Space Pilgrim, but Pony Island was pretty great. Just scroll half-way down the page.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 6, 2017

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
For a day and 22 hours from this post: a steam code for The Walking Dead Season 1 (the game, not the TV series) is free.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-walking-dead-season-1

There are a few more Walking Dead games available, I think this freebie is the first third or quarter of the storyline.

Don't forget to redeem it on Steam after grabbing, or it will expire.

quote:

You recently purchased The Walking Dead: Season 1.
Please visit your download page before September 23 at 10 a.m. Pacific
time to redeem The Walking Dead: Season 1.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 7, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Season 1 is a full story in and of itself, though; if you're thirsty for more there are more Telltale games in the same vein, though Season 1 is generally considered to be the strongest of them by far.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Monaco is free for 24 hours to celebrate their new release.

I liked it and you should watch dscruffy1's LP of it if you haven't already.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Humble store has Psychonauts for free for another 1 day 20 hours from now

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/psychonauts

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It recently popped up in the Grognard thread that Matrix has a couple of older Gary Grigsby games available for free:

War in Russia which eventually led to War in the East, but is regarded by some as more playable, notwithstanding its outdated interface.

Pacific War is of a similar vintage and has a similar legacy, but doesn't seem to have as many proponents arguing for playing it since War in the Pacific is better liked these days.

To get them, click on 'Downloads' - you'll need a Matrix account and may have to go through a 'purchase' and checkout process the first time you do this.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GOG.com has Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee free for 48 hours or so. Get it, it's a good game!

I mean it's free, why would you NOT get it anyway, but it's not like it's scraps anyway

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's also free on Steam right now.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

and humble store

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also, some weird little surreal action puzzler called Back To Bed is free on Steam.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh hell yeah Back to Bed is great and you should snag it. The game starts out with the sentence "Bob has narcolepsy" spoken by what sounds like a dangerously intoxicated man and that's pretty much the premise.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Outlast is free via humble with some DLC right now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fallout is free till October 1st

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38400/Fallout_A_Post_Nuclear_Role_Playing_Game/

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
And old game called Allegiance by Microsoft has been free for a while now, and became available on Steam a few days ago: http://store.steampowered.com/app/700480/Microsoft_Allegiance/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Civilization 3 is free via Humble on Steam right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-iii-complete

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The best Civ!

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Starcraft 2 is going to be free. http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017

quote:

In other words, you can now play all of StarCraft II’s multiplayer, every Co-op Commander, and the entire first campaign in the single-player story, for free.

And if you've already bought the first campaign, you get the second one for free.

quote:

The original Wings of Liberty campaign. Experience the original epic campaign that kicked off the StarCraft II saga! If you picked up Wings of Liberty previously but haven’t come back to StarCraft II in a while, we’ve got good news for you too—if you already own Wings of Liberty, you’ll receive the second installment in StarCraft II’s campaign, the zerg-focused Heart of the Swarm, for free. Make sure to log in between November 8 and December 8 to claim it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I bought all the Starcraft 2 campaigns and all I got was this lousy ghost skin.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And if I already bought the first two campaigns.....?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Klaus88 posted:

I bought all the Starcraft 2 campaigns and all I got was this lousy ghost skin.

I still haven't gotten around to playing the Protoss campaign

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've tried on 3 separate occasions to play the starcraft 2 campaigns and i always end up conking out due to exactly how much i loathe jim raynor

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's rad, I've been wanting to play Starcraft 2, since I have no idea what a good RTS is and it looks flashy and fun enough to satisfy my simple brain.

Coolguye posted:

i've tried on 3 separate occasions to play the starcraft 2 campaigns and i always end up conking out due to exactly how much i loathe jim raynor

Yeah, going from assassinating Kerrigan to suddenly deciding not to was a real bad move.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, going from assassinating Kerrigan to suddenly deciding not to was a real bad move.
that's a big part of it but there's also more

like his entire operation against mengsk. you could jive with it if he could talk about how mengsk is an rear end in a top hat, is bad for the common good, and talk about what he sees coming after he takes mengsk down - you know, basic, basic insurgent poo poo that people have done again and again since forever

instead raynor says mengsk is an rear end in a top hat, stops there, never elaborates, and when his subordinates are like "hey and after we kill him it's gonna be great afterward right, jim? .....right?" raynor basically goes "lol idk that's your problem im just leading you all on because my hate boner will never go down"

okay great thanks i'm glad you made my player surrogate a completely moronic psychopath

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

okay great thanks i'm glad you made my player surrogate a completely moronic psychopath

Also applies to Kerrigan herself, funnily enough.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Stick Insect posted:

Starcraft 2 is going to be free. http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017

And if you've already bought the first campaign, you get the second one for free.

Cool I was just thinking of going back and playing SC2

I'm entirely too awful to play against real people though so I just want to play the campaign

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Starcraft 1's writing wasn't exactly Tolstoy but it was pretty solid for a video game, and the character motivations were pretty decent.

Which leads me to being baffled at just how awful and unlikeable they made all the characters in Starcraft 2, they're like caricatures or children's cartoons, with nonsensical motives and uncalled-for theatrics at every turn.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Having spoken to someone who works at Blizzard I can confirm their writing staff just has a big box of action figures and they bash them together making "pew pew" noises with their mouths.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Coolguye posted:

like his entire operation against mengsk. you could jive with it if he could talk about how mengsk is an rear end in a top hat, is bad for the common good, and talk about what he sees coming after he takes mengsk down - you know, basic, basic insurgent poo poo that people have done again and again since forever

instead raynor says mengsk is an rear end in a top hat, stops there, never elaborates, and when his subordinates are like "hey and after we kill him it's gonna be great afterward right, jim? .....right?" raynor basically goes "lol idk that's your problem im just leading you all on because my hate boner will never go down"

I can't say anything about that, since I only know about the foolish Kerrigan decision.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Coolguye posted:

I could stand that, what I hated more than anything else was the obnoxiously overused "The Bad Guy of game 1 was actually the overly-pragmatic good guy the whole time!" nonsense they pull with the overmind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

So, just to be clear, I've gotta make a Blizzard account and sign up and all that junk to download and get the game when it unlocks?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

So, just to be clear, I've gotta make a Blizzard account and sign up and all that junk to download and get the game when it unlocks?

Yes, you have to have an account with their free, low hassle online system to download the free game they're giving away.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Monkey posted:

Yes, you have to have an account with their free, low hassle online system to download the free game they're giving away.

The horror

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Now, if it was an Origin title... :stonk:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Ignoring the story, is the single player gameplay of SC2 any good? Specifically, how does it compare to SC1?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Wings of Liberty, the part that's free? Ehhhhhhh. Significantly worse in story, but gameplay? There are a few too many gimmick maps, but Starcraft's gameplay is still solid as hell. Plus they did do some neat things with unique units that are not balanced for multiplayer, so it's probably worth a shot. Just turn your brain off, super off, anywhere near story or cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Wings of liberty is the best of the three campaigns, and that's not saying much. Still fun enough to play.