Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Interesting thread about legend dives: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7an1co/characters_that_jp_players_regret_fulldiving/

Anyone have any input? It's convincing me to not LD Noctis, even though I wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ceaselessfuture posted:

Interesting thread about legend dives: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7an1co/characters_that_jp_players_regret_fulldiving/

Anyone have any input? It's convincing me to not LD Noctis, even though I wanted to.

This made me look up Y'shtola USB uh wow why?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Thanks!

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

ceaselessfuture posted:

Eh, it's probably a good idea to take discussions like these with a grain of salt, because they depend heavily on each player's individual situation and focus a lot on having the optimal setup for the future, which ignores both that you can never guarantee drawing the optimal relics and that stuff that's useful now helps you prepare for later content by beating the current content. Like yes, Noctic LD might not be useful against 4 star magicite, but that ignores all of the content that isn't four star content (hint: that's literally everything in global right now) and that beating 4 star magicite is going to depend on a lot more than just one single character you Legend Dived. It's the same thing with Y'shtola that they mention later - yes, other healers may theoretically be better LD candidates down the road - but if you focus on optimal usage then you might be waiting months to actually draw a better relic and in the meantime missing out on a powerful asset. Generally you're going to be better served doing something that's technically sub-optimal but helps you immediately rather than sitting on a horde in hopes of eventually pulling the absolute best stuff.

Also there's never actually an optimal setup, because something better will always be released, so the absolute theoretical best usage is to never use anything that's a finite resource because the next banner/update/SB tier might invalidate it, and sometimes you just need to focus on a character because they're fun and you like them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Yay, I legend dived Vaan like 15 minutes before seeing this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Remember that this was a time when healer USBs were fairly new and the early ones were underpowered compared to the ones we have now. Y'shtola's is the biggest example.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Crazy Larry posted:

Also there's never actually an optimal setup, because something better will always be released, so the absolute theoretical best usage is to never use anything that's a finite resource because the next banner/update/SB tier might invalidate it, and sometimes you just need to focus on a character because they're fun and you like them.

Good post, which makes me want to LD Noctis again. I suppose at the end of the day any decision, bad or good, will eventually be invalidated by newer content.

Thanks! :)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Remember that this was a time when healer USBs were fairly new and the early ones were underpowered compared to the ones we have now. Y'shtola's is the biggest example.

I guess the detriment of being popular, you get access to new tools first, but before they figure out how to make them good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really underestimated how long it would take to finish the renewal dungeons. I've got all the trash dungeons done, but I still have to do the boss fights for... 38 different events. I don't think I'm going to have the time to do that.

Here's to hoping that they come back again.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Good post, which makes me want to LD Noctis again. I suppose at the end of the day any decision, bad or good, will eventually be invalidated by newer content.

Thanks! :)

Noctis just solo DPSed Adel 220 for me. Weapon: Squalls unique Revolver.

Just his dive stuff, SSB, LMR, R3 full charge and Omega drive, and OK feeding him meter.

Minimum 40k every turn after a first turn cloud USB. 90k was Max on one OD.

That list is dumb, dive the man!

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

On Discord, I heard of a Ramza Relic that is, "Shout But Better" what relic might that be? (I'm assuming this relic is on the Tactics Advance Banner)

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
His BSB2 which has the exact Shout effect at entry on top of giving you burst mode.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

The man called M posted:

On Discord, I heard of a Ramza Relic that is, "Shout But Better" what relic might that be? (I'm assuming this relic is on the Tactics Advance Banner)

Ramza is getting a bsb2 that shouts and has a solid holy/ne cmd1.

The cmd2 for it is wrath without the lovely attack buff

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The man called M posted:

It is his second BSB, that indeed comes out on the FFTA Banner:

Ramza BSB2 - EnHoly, Party ATK+50% and Haste, Burst Mode
Cmd 1 - 5xST Holy/Non-ele physical dmg with no SB accumulated
Cmd 2 - Charge the user's Soul Break gauge a very large amount

It's a very nice BSB, though it works kinda strange. The entry is Shout, with EnHoly on Ramza (Increased Holy Damage on Ramza). The first commands is a strong holy attack that doesn't build any soul break bar on Ramza, while the second command does nothing BUT build SB bar. If you can end a fight before the Shout effect is over, command 1 spam is very strong. Or alternatively command 2 can be used to juggle two buffs instead, like his Chant SSB (Increased Crit damage) or USB (+30% Atk, Mag, Defense, 1 instant action for party)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Pander posted:

Noctis just solo DPSed Adel 220 for me. Weapon: Squalls unique Revolver.

Just his dive stuff, SSB, LMR, R3 full charge and Omega drive, and OK feeding him meter.

Minimum 40k every turn after a first turn cloud USB. 90k was Max on one OD.

That list is dumb, dive the man!

I have every relic of his except his LMR and I'm not sure. They're potent abilities, but I feel like his LMR really brings him together. I'll figure it out eventually!

My issue mostly is that I cycle through a bunch of different DPS and none of them are showing themselves as obviously better than any other. I'm probably just blind though.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ceaselessfuture posted:

I have every relic of his except his LMR and I'm not sure. They're potent abilities, but I feel like his LMR really brings him together. I'll figure it out eventually!

My issue mostly is that I cycle through a bunch of different DPS and none of them are showing themselves as obviously better than any other. I'm probably just blind though.

I think Noctis LMR was on the gem-only LMR select pull that JP got, so you can get it there if global gets that banner and you are OK with spending real money.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

100 gem netted me a Refia USB on top of the BSB I already had.

This begs the question: when are 4* motes farmable again?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well, I wound up cutting it a little close but here I am with all the Mythril providing parts of the Renewals done, plus a bunch of useful accessories, save a single V stage I missed that I'll probably knock out on break at work.

Final total following all of this will be 558 Mythril and it feels good. Also gonna feel good to be able to go back to not playing RK Global for just shy of every moment I'm not at work. :eng99:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I wonder how much play time it would take me to complete all these renewal dungeons. Going in I had, like, 10 dungeons halfway done, so I'm guessing several days of playtime. Whatever, got plenty of stuff and also didn't go insane.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

At this point I give up on the FF3 OK XP dungeons because I haven't had a mote drop in 500 stamina or so. gently caress you dragons.

I probably spent 20 mithril getting 12 motes from that dungeon. I have 3 OK relics so it felt like I really ought to.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

djfooboo posted:

This begs the question: when are 4* motes farmable again?

"late December"

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
You still have one more day to do renewals and go crazy, don't celebrate yet.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Will the renewal dungeons still be open on Sunday or are they closing out on the day change?

Trying to decide if I need to lose my mind staring at my phone yet.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Will the renewal dungeons still be open on Sunday or are they closing out on the day change?

Trying to decide if I need to lose my mind staring at my phone yet.

They close at 5pm PST tomorrow.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I think Noctis LMR was on the gem-only LMR select pull that JP got, so you can get it there if global gets that banner and you are OK with spending real money.

I'm not, but I may very well do it anyway :sigh:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ceaselessfuture posted:

I'm not, but I may very well do it anyway :sigh:

I was legit kinda bummed when I got it cause I wanted his osb or either his or gladiolus' BSB.

Holy poo poo how dumb I was. I'm laying waste to all those 1 Stam d180 dungeons I skipped, just him and lightning killing them before they can do shot.

Except cagnazzo. That fucker still took a bit more effort.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
When the next good banner? I wanna puuuuullll

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

When the next good banner? I wanna puuuuullll

FFTA in early to mid December

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

If you really like Sephiroth, all his good relics are coming next week.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

The thing about Noctis is that he will never be "optimal" because all he does is non-elemental damage unless you decide to try to gear him as a dragoon (which is generally bad since he doesn't do as good at dragooning as dedicated dragoons). The other thing about Noctis is that he will never be useless for the same reason.

His LMR + LM2 is really the "best in slot" kit, sure, but you can do just fine with him swinging Omega Drive, his OSB/USB (or both), and his Legend Dive. It won't be quite as helpful as good luck with the LMR's 25% dualcast, but it's good, solid, consistent damage.

It's just damage that can never hit a weakness, which some people get really uppity about, especially since you could argue Master is better at non-elemental damage if/when he gets his legend sphere (he gets a 35% Dualcast Monk LM2, a bunch of +monk damage, and one of his RMs is a 25% dualcast chance when at <50% HP. Slap Lifebane on him and all he's lacking over Noctis is the burst damage/stoneskin from his OSB/USB.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Because stoneskin is basically a usb already and she was too good then her bsb was the best healing on then her LD let her double cast it.

There was no reason not to use her if you had her stuff

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Because stoneskin is basically a usb already and she was too good then her bsb was the best healing on then her LD let her double cast it.

The only problem with this argument is that Shrine Grimoire exists. Wall/Protectga/Shellga/Hastega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwdep7id6Cs

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 5, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Varance posted:

The only problem with this argument is that Shrine Grimoire exists. Wall/Protectga/Shellga/Hastega.

Keep in mind that is Tyro's third USB, and the other two are more standard early-USB packages (Hastega + HP Stock + Astra, Hastega + Damage + Stat Buff). I am absolutely certain that if/when Y'shtola gets a second USB, it will either be a Stoneskin variant or some level of absurd medica.

Y'shtola's first USB was garbage for a different reason - they overcompensate for the party-wide Dual Blink/"Shield" and the Instant Cast 2. Neither effect is quite as good as they treat them as being. Instant Cast is fantastic, mind you, but only in an AoE situation usually, or attached to an equally instant-cast SB. It might've been okay in a SSB capability on an actual attacking unit (see: how Deathblow isn't nearly as bad as it looks), but with a full SB cast time and being totally selfish on a White Mage, it's not really worth it in any capacity whatsoever. Dual Blink isn't actually any better than normal blinks, though, and in fact may be situationally worse because it can be removed by both types of attacks, meaning you can't "plan ahead" for big nukes. If they'd attached those effects to a medica, even a Cura medica, it would be a solid (not great, unless it too is instant cast, but solid) emergency SB option, but heavy regen is just too slow for what you'd usually use USBs for in this day and age.

As an unrelated beef, can we please get a consensus on what this loving Wall Upgrade is called? I've seen "Aegis", I've seen "Godwall", I've seen "Warding", and now I've seen "Shrine".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 5, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

As an unrelated beef, can we please get a consensus on what this loving Wall Upgrade is called? I've seen "Aegis", I've seen "Godwall", I've seen "Warding", and now I've seen "Shrine".

神壁のグリモア. :pseudo:

More seriously: 'Godwall' is a very direct translation of that. I like Divine Barrier (and look, there's another!) but there's no official word or anything.

So, uh, 'Tyro USB3' I guess.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 5, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prism posted:

神壁のグリモア. :pseudo:

More seriously: 'Godwall' is a very direct translation of that. I like Divine Barrier (and look, there's another!) but there's no official word or anything.

So, uh, 'Tyro USB3' I guess.

I was actually trying to find the Japanese name and having no luck, so thanks for that. :toot: Looks like "Divine Wall" or "God Wall" are the closest direct translations, yeah, which actually lets me understand where that particular moniker came from. (Rather, that it came from DeNA being melodramatic as opposed to any spindoctoring/localizer flourish)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been using MEMU to run this because staring at a phone screen sucks, but for the past couple days I haven't been able to log on. It just hangs on the loading screen forever. It works fine on my phone though. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

I was actually trying to find the Japanese name and having no luck, so thanks for that. :toot: Looks like "Divine Wall" or "God Wall" are the closest direct translations, yeah, which actually lets me understand where that particular moniker came from. (Rather, that it came from DeNA being melodramatic as opposed to any spindoctoring/localizer flourish)

As an added bonus then, here is the animation.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've been using MEMU to run this because staring at a phone screen sucks, but for the past couple days I haven't been able to log on. It just hangs on the loading screen forever. It works fine on my phone though. Anyone else have a similar problem?

I haven't been having this problem with MEMU. Every once in a while it fails to load, but I just close the program and reopen it - I've never had it fail twice in a row.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Try clearing the cache.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Try clearing the cache.

Can I do that without logging in? Also I cleared the cache a day or two before this started happening.

e: oh, I cleared the phone's cache and that worked. Thanks!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'd recommend everyone clear their cache once the Renewal Dungeons expire because that's a lot of extra data you'll not need to access for a while, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Will there be an Onion motes XP dungeon in the upcoming crazy FF3 event with OK USB1+2? I'm trying to prioritize what to farm now that I've finished all the mythril and only have six hours left.

• Locked thread