Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The last moon I need to get is the 100 jump rope one and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible and everyone claiming they got it is lying to me :sigh:

I've been trying this thing for over a week and I still haven't gotten past 60. Mario just always lands on the rope or springs to high, or I just wind up getting way to focused and beef it.

Is your TV in game mode? Input lag would make that minigame hellish if you have any. A quick way to test is that cursor movement in menus should be functionally instant from when you move the stick. Any noticeable delay is a sign of input lag.

Most modern TVs have a mode for video games with very little input lag, and playing undocked will also do this.

Or if that's not the issue, what worked for me is, starting at 40 or so, pretend it's a rhythm game where you press jump when they yell "hey" or whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Gotta learn the timing for those short jumps. I ended up doing a thing where I slid my thumb off the button right after pressing it to get the right height consistently. Everything after 50 has the same timing, so it's just a matter of patience.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Close your eyes, lightly tap the button in rhythm with the woman saying "hey!"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The last moon I need to get is the 100 jump rope one and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible and everyone claiming they got it is lying to me :sigh:

I've been trying this thing for over a week and I still haven't gotten past 60. Mario just always lands on the rope or springs to high, or I just wind up getting way to focused and beef it.

I was having issues with it where it seemed literally impossible to tap the button fast enough to keep up with the pace but then someone in this thread said to try it in handheld mode to reduce all input lag and after like 3 tries I got it. Also don't look at Mario and time your jumps from him, just go with the sound or where the rope is and use that. If you watch Mario you'll keep waiting until he hits the ground before hitting jump again which makes you too slow to keep up.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Or if that's not the issue, what worked for me is, starting at 40 or so, pretend it's a rhythm game where you press jump when they yell "hey" or whatever it is.

I can play iidx, the most obsessive spergy niche of rhythm games, at a reasonably decent level and even just listening for audio cues I can not for the life of me get past 47 jumps in this game designed for all audiences

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/nintendogs_2/status/926577598099898368

this game owns because of the dumbest things sometimes

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm starting to feel pretty done with darker side of the moon

It's not even that hard, it's just the parts where you can actually die are for dumb reasons and take FOREVER to get back to . The first is flicking from fork to fork, that one is just annoying because if you don't line your hat throw up right you'll hit the lava and then you're just screwed because you can't do any other actions and there are no platforms to land on. The next one is that stupid woodpecker bird. If one of your pokes ends up with you getting lined up in a weird spot, it's virtually impossible to re-adjust without falling to your death.

I dunno, if it was just platforming challenges I would keep at it, but I'm a little tired of wasting 10 minutes just to get to the difficult parts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
secret hack for the wood pecker: aim to get peg the very top of the swings. Do this on the first few jumps where its safer to setup and by the time you reach the final one you can skip the last two swings and go straight to the end.

I thought that part was gonna be horrid but I tried this on my third attempt and nailed it. Then again maybe I'm just better with the flinging than most since I had no trouble with the fork section.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Pokio was the only thing that got me. Forks were easy though, didn't think I died to them at all. Really Darker Side of the Moon is all about endurance, there's only one challenge in the whole thing that i'd say is particularly hard but the difficultly is that it's long and there's no checkpoints.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Am I just supposed to run around like an idiot until I hopefully come across something the stupid dog sniffs out? The star literally says "at peach's castle. good dog!" but he doesn't do poo poo anywhere around the castle. He won't come across the bridge so I can't take him into the castle. He won't go into the empty moat.

How do I make this dumb dog lead me to the moon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The forks aren't hard I just find the hat throwing to be a little finicky in general. It doesn't matter so much for 99% of the game because if your hat misses you can just try again, or shake to make it home, but in that section if you miss a throw you are 100% dead since there isn't enough time to recover. It's only killed me a couple times but it's a frustrating reason to die.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mostly done but one of the sections to come is what i'd consider the only consistently difficult part of the level, so it might take a bit.

Holy loving poo poo that next part is hard.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nephzinho posted:

Holy loving poo poo that next part is hard.
:unsmigghh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm sorry thread but I'll always be 99%. I got up to 70 in handheld before a input got eaten and I've never been able to get there. This challenge is actually stupid and it's taking all my willpower not to huck my switch in frustration.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think pokio is the only section of darker where I never found a strat that felt smooth and consistent but that's mostly because I finished the stage the first time I cleared it

The section after forks took me a bunch of times to get a good strat for though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm sorry thread but I'll always be 99%. I got up to 70 in handheld before a input got eaten and I've never been able to get there. This challenge is actually stupid and it's taking all my willpower not to huck my switch in frustration.

I heard someone got it with the moped becuase it always jumps the same height no matter what.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My strategy for the section after the forks was to never hit the switches and just eat a few hits from the spikey fucks. You have 6 health so its not a big deal anyways. Now if you had to flawless the whole thing I have no clue how I would of handled that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did a flawless of it twice I think. The trick is to go slow, take it easy, and never ever hat the energy thing. Send your hat down the edges of the platform to kill the enemies do slight errors don't hit it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

im gonna have like, 40% bc i have no particular desire to 100% the game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
im currently at 282 of however many moons there are, thats actually maybe a lot less then 40% but i dont feel like mathing right now

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm right there with you, friend. :smith:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just hit the energy things and jumped like a madman tanking damage left and right and ended up with 1hp to deal with the rest of the section which was tense as hell because of DK and the whole "2D section that rotates and randomly causes your inputs to flip".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you have no desire to 100% then I'd say getting 500 moons and completing Darker Side is a good stopping point. You could get most of your moons out of the worlds you really enjoy while avoiding the really lovely ones. (gently caress jumprope gently caress gently caress gently caress)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cobalt Viper posted:

I just hit the energy things and jumped like a madman tanking damage left and right and ended up with 1hp to deal with the rest of the section which was tense as hell because of DK and the whole "2D section that rotates and randomly causes your inputs to flip".

I did the reverse, perfected the platform and limped through that section

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lets all take a moment to be thankful that there was nothing in Darker Side involving the Jaxi.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's no actual acknowledgement of 100% except for tiny little dots around the globe on the Odyssey, so there's no reason to stress about getting every single moon if you don't wanna.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And let's pour one out for how short and easy the yoshi section was

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the invisible road challenge room on the dark side can one hundred percent go to hell

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I can stop anytime I want, I swear. https://twitter.com/andipossess/status/926609881011851264

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

alf_pogs posted:

the invisible road challenge room on the dark side can one hundred percent go to hell
I spent about 30 minutes on that one (gently caress the hitreg on those big piranhas) and then later I came across the actual cap version in another level and it was so easy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did every single one of the dark side challenges before encountering the normal versions in other levels

They were all letdowns after that

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I did every single one of the dark side challenges before encountering the normal versions in other levels

They were all letdowns after that

Same, for most of them. I thought the scooter one was reasonably different though because it controls differently enough.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went and talked to the clown npc in Donk City and he told me that sometimes I just need a clown to get over my frustrations.

Wait what

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Alright I guess bitching about it was the incentive I needed to finish Darker Side.

Internet Kraken posted:

secret hack for the wood pecker: aim to get peg the very top of the swings. Do this on the first few jumps where its safer to setup and by the time you reach the final one you can skip the last two swings and go straight to the end.

I thought that part was gonna be horrid but I tried this on my third attempt and nailed it. Then again maybe I'm just better with the flinging than most since I had no trouble with the fork section.

This helped, thanks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

andipossess posted:

Same, for most of them. I thought the scooter one was reasonably different though because it controls differently enough.

I actually did the entire invisible platform one with my super cautious hatless precise jump strats modified because the prianhas are easier to kill, then realized I was a moron and could have been clearing the poison

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Am I just supposed to run around like an idiot until I hopefully come across something the stupid dog sniffs out? The star literally says "at peach's castle. good dog!" but he doesn't do poo poo anywhere around the castle. He won't come across the bridge so I can't take him into the castle. He won't go into the empty moat.

How do I make this dumb dog lead me to the moon

Please help

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Please help

google

"To uncover a buried Power Moon, lead the dog to the southeastern part of the map, on a little hill overlooking the Odyssey and the nearby fountain."

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 4, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Please help

You just need to run around like an idiot hopefully accomplishing other things while having the dog follow behind you and sniffing out secrets. If you've got everything else then it's just scouring the map waiting for the dog to find the hidden moon.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually did the entire invisible platform one with my super cautious hatless precise jump strats modified because the prianhas are easier to kill, then realized I was a moron and could have been clearing the poison

For the harder version I thought you had to take a rock from the platforms and use it to open the chest. Turned out just Ground Pounding it did the trick. Whoops.

In other news I hit 840 moons today and I can truly taste 100% completion. My friend's going to come over tomorrow with his Bowser amiibo so I can hunt down purples I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You just need to run around like an idiot hopefully accomplishing other things while having the dog follow behind you and sniffing out secrets. If you've got everything else then it's just scouring the map waiting for the dog to find the hidden moon.

Goddamnit. Don't call that "Found at Peach's Castle" when it's a hundred miles away from the castle :mad: Bad dog :mad:

• Locked thread