Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't really listen to much hardcore/metalcore anymore, but I lived it and breathed it in my late teens and early 20's. Converge was always one of my favorites and I was pretty obsessed with petitioning the empty sky and When forever comes crashing. Also really liked Jane Doe but shortly after that my music tastes mellowed out.

Not really a band I thought I'd return to, but I ran into All we love we left behind on spotify 5 years ago and man, they really have just gotten better over the years. new album is loving great. it's crazy to me that a band that has been around that long isn't just burned out and lame, but is actually producing their best stuff.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

This fuckin Polaris tape though. Holy gently caress AOTY is gonna be tight this year. Top 10 even is gonna leave out some extremely good poo poo.

Just looked them up and found their Bandcamp page which defaults to the song "Consume" THAT BREAKDOWN :tviv:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Converge has always been hit or miss with me, but I really enjoyed this latest album FWIW. They've definitely written better songs as they've aged.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Just looked them up and found their Bandcamp page which defaults to the song "Consume" THAT BREAKDOWN :tviv:

o drat yeah I'm buying this

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

o drat yeah I'm buying this

Seriously. This album is awesome. CHECK THIS LINK OUT EVERYBODY

e: Oh my God the closing track "Sonder" is unbelieveable

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 4, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: NM

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 4, 2017

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Converge have really learned what works in their sound over the years and they've drat near perfected it on this album, well into their 40s.

What a great band.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I started a Spotify playlist of all the albums that came out this year.

It's not meant to be definitive, but 2017 has got to be the best year for these subgenres of heavy music in a long time, so I thought I should at least try and document as many as I could in a single playlist.

If you give a poo poo enough to let me know what I'm missing, that'd be cooler.

e: Reminder that I also made a 2000-2005(ish) playlist of metal/hardcore bands with 1500 songs if you feel like diving into that era of this music.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 6, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

I started a Spotify playlist of all the albums that came out this year.

It's not meant to be definitive, but 2017 has got to be the best year for these subgenres of heavy music in a long time, so I thought I should at least try and document as many as I could in a single playlist.

e: Reminder that I also made a 2000-2005(ish) playlist of metal/hardcore bands with 1500 songs if you feel like diving into that era of this music.

This reminds me that I need to transfer that 2000-2005 playlist to Google Music using one of those tools...

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Here's the stuff from my album of the year consideration list that isn't on your list. Not expecting you to agree with all of this or add it all, but maybe you'll see something jump out at you that you meant to add but forgot about?

pre:
01/27	Betraying the Martyrs – The Resilient
01/27	The Northern – Solstice
02/24	Born of Osiris – The Eternal Reign
03/03	Within the Ruins – Halfway Human
03/08	Earthists. – Dreamscape
03/10	Darkest Hour – Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora
03/17	Fit for an Autopsy – The Great Collapse
03/31	Mastodon – Emperor of Sand
04/28	Aethere – Adrift
05/05	Slaughter to Prevail – Misery Sermon
06/02	Eidola – To Speak, To Listen
06/02	Obey the Brave – Mad Season
06/02	SikTh – The Future in Whose Eyes?
06/09	Volumes – Different Animals
06/16	Chon – Homey
06/16	Currents – The Place I Feel Safest
07/28	Oceans Ate Alaska – Hikari
07/28	Make Them Suffer – Worlds Apart
08/04	Wage War – Deadweight
08/18	Save Us from the Archon – Melancholia
08/18	Thy Art Is Murder – Dear Desolation
09/22	Counterparts – You’re Not You Anymore
10/06	August Burns Red – Phantom Anthem
10/20	We Came as Romans – Cold Like War
10/27	Ne Obliviscaris – Urn

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 6, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot that Darkest Hour record was from this year, for some reason I was thinking it came out last year

gently caress just that post alone is a great list

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

kumba posted:

I forgot that Darkest Hour record was from this year, for some reason I was thinking it came out last year

gently caress just that post alone is a great list

Thanks. I feel like you and I are generally on the same wavelength :hfive: But don't forget to click Shooga's playlist. I removed the stuff from my list that he already had, which included some excellent listens.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

tyblazitar posted:

Anyone here follow the Japanese metalcore scene?

Oh also (poo poo, sorry for posting so much on this page), just for this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxM9gSGkhw

This is pretty decent. There's some stuff in it I don't love, but then it also has poo poo like the vocals @1:47 and the shred outro. Overall worth the click if you like Japanese -core bands. See also my post above where Earthists. is one of my favorite releases of the year.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

Here's the stuff from my album of the year consideration list that isn't on your list. Not expecting you to agree with all of this or add it all, but maybe you'll see something jump out at you that you meant to add but forgot about?

Tried looking for a justification to not add SikTh but wound up just adding everything from this list even if I don't necessarily gently caress with it. Genuinely impressed by a few of the bands on this list I hadn't heard of before. Aethere, in particular. Also, I had given up on Volumes because I'm not a fan of the rap-rock they've incorporated into their sound, but gave their latest another shot after seeing it on your list and if I can choke down some of the rap poo poo, there's some really cool poppy/catchy melodic metalcore parts that I really enjoy.

The list is now at 558 songs and just under 36 hours long. I wonder how impossible it might be to make it as exhaustive as possible for at least *most* of the albums that came out this year in metal subgenres. I might have to include way too many for it to be considered any kind of complete.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tried looking for a justification to not add SikTh but wound up just adding everything from this list even if I don't necessarily gently caress with it.

Insipid… minds… have. won. Rapacious de.struc.tion.

That was the best SikTh release of their last several, but you could pretty well justify leaving it off on account of it’s not really -core. I listen to a lot of prog metal as well, and there is some crossover there. This year, a lot of the more straight ahead prog metal releases I checked out failed to thrill me as much as the prog-metalcore blends.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just keep the list to -core.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
This year has been ridiculous, yeah. Trying not to post a wall of YouTube videos but here are some things I enjoyed that aren't on the playlist:

Get the Shot - Infinite Punishment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtub2ry0Zc

Incited - Year of Filth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcU0uAmeZvs

Iron Raegan - Crossover Ministry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9JnTr1SfY

'Sabella - Dog Daze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fZgmjfTUms

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOWf8uqGf8A

Also, these:
Code Orange - Forever
Trapped Under Ice - Heatwave
Zao - Pyrrhic Victory
Gideon - Cursed
Stray From the Path - Only Death is Real
Benighted - Necrobreed (technically brutal death metal I guess but it's pretty close to deathcore, and real good)

e: whoops forgot about the dumbest/best band
Nasty - Realigion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkK2WkJA-Cs

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 7, 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Um, so, I don't know if END has been brought up in here, but, if not, they very much should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ONhJ_HBT4

To give you an idea what you're getting yourself into, the band is made up of:
Vocals: Brendan Murphy (Counterparts)
Guitar: Will Putney (Fit For An Autopsy)
Guitar: Gregory Thomas (ex-Shai Hulud, etc.)
Bass: Jay Pepito (Reign Supreme)
Drums: Andrew McEnaney (Trade Wind, ex-Structures)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Um, so, I don't know if END has been brought up in here, but, if not, they very much should have been.

I do say ol chap that’s a right bit heavy

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

XIII posted:

Spotify introduced me to them a few weeks ago and they are insane. Thanks for posting the lineup, no wonder!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just keep the list to -core.

Yeah I showed the list to a buddy of mine and he started firing off a bunch of obscure black metal releases that came out this year and I was like lol nvm -core it is.

Because of that, I removed Mastodon and Cannibal Corpse (they're more straight metal and death metal), and I didn't include Iron Reagan since they're punk. I did include the rest of SchwarzeKrieg's post and surprised that I forgot a bunch of those. I definitely did not include Stray From The Path because they just suck.

I also omitted singles since they technically aren't albums released this year. Most notably, Traitors.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Looked through my 2017 playlist, some more things I forgot about from this year:

Slope - Losin' Grip (Turnstile-ish 'classic' hardcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGr_rz9nwM

Watch Out Stampede - SVTVNIC (extremely underrated, fun straightforward metalcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXoyEwHx5XI

Northern Ghost - Happy : Sad : Depressed : Suicidal (Sempiternal worship, some real good tracks, some real cheesy tracks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htY8uRy-E4M

Mensis - Life Is A Nightmare (gently caress yeah gym shorts and floor punches)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dIHW3WngOY

Artificial Language - The Observer (maybe not -core but have a few elements, progressive metal with big The Human Abstract vibes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSQwY50qr8

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This new Toothgrinder album is really boring and I'm disappointed

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Insipid… minds… have. won. Rapacious de.struc.tion.

That was the best SikTh release of their last several, but you could pretty well justify leaving it off on account of it’s not really -core. I listen to a lot of prog metal as well, and there is some crossover there. This year, a lot of the more straight ahead prog metal releases I checked out failed to thrill me as much as the prog-metalcore blends.

Lol if you dont get that goofy rear end Ride the Illusion chorus stuck in your head at random

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New Axis album dropped without me even realizing it. It's so loving good. Here's one song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LHeNJ6a64

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i wasn't really feeling the new veil of maya album at first but in the last few days or so it's really clicked for me and I can't get enough of this good poo poo

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I ran back the new We Came As Romans at the gym this morning and dang it's so fun to listen to

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Protest the Hero are doing a Fortress anniversary tour. I'm so there.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

:aaaaa:

Wonder who they'll tour with, last time I saw them was with Intervals and the Safety Fire, it was loving awesome (even though this was during Intervals' "we have a vocalist and are doing bland metalcore now" phase)

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

:aaaaa:

Wonder who they'll tour with, last time I saw them was with Intervals and the Safety Fire, it was loving awesome (even though this was during Intervals' "we have a vocalist and are doing bland metalcore now" phase)

The pre-releases off the new Intervals have been completely awesome. Full album this week or next, I think.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Saw that and am genuinely bummed there's no Denver date. Enough so that I'm considering trying to hop a cheap flight to one of the cities they ARE playing in.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

The pre-releases off the new Intervals have been completely awesome. Full album this week or next, I think.

Saw Intervals when they + Plini supported Animals As Leaders on their UK tour. Was some really good stuff, gotta check out the new album when it's out

The Protest the Hero tour talk just reminds me I have to jump on any date they ever play in the UK. Also. make another album please.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
they're working on a new one which comes out Fall/Winter 2018

pissed there's no FL or even a GA date

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DroneRiff posted:

Saw Intervals when they + Plini supported Animals As Leaders on their UK tour. Was some really good stuff, gotta check out the new album when it's out

The Protest the Hero tour talk just reminds me I have to jump on any date they ever play in the UK. Also. make another album please.

Animals as Leaders/The Contortionist/Between the Buried and Me was 90% of a perfect show for me, if Intervals had been there it would have been hard to ever top as Best Show Ever

kumba posted:

they're working on a new one which comes out Fall/Winter 2018

pissed there's no FL or even a GA date

I need to relisten to Pacific Myth again. I like each song as it came out but I haven't listened to the whole thing straight through in a while.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4Zxxd-PY4

Signs of the Swarm is a band I discovered randomly listening to poo poo on Spotify. They're run-of-the-mill gross-sounding deathcore but that's 100% my poo poo so I love it and I hope you do, too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I need to relisten to Pacific Myth again. I like each song as it came out but I haven't listened to the whole thing straight through in a while.

I listened to Pacific Myth when they finally put everything out on Google Music last fall, and it's great. My favorite release by them. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I listened to Pacific Myth when they finally put everything out on Google Music last fall, and it's great. My favorite release by them. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

It's my least favorite, but I think it's because I listened to it one song at a time. It never felt like a cohesive album and I'd burn songs out. I've decided to put in on the shelf for a while and revisit it later in hopes that it will click.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Beelzebozo posted:

Yep. It’s this week. Called The Way Forward. Up now on streaming services. Just finished my initial play and found it overall strong to quite strong. My early pick for track to start with is Rubicon Artist. I’m not sure anything on here will unseat Sweet Tooth as my favorite of theirs, but that will obviously require further listens to prove out. If you fw elevator metal definitely check this one out.

Also out today is a new tape by The Faceless. Going in for it next. I’ve been mixed on the pre-releases they’ve put up from that one, but I generally enjoy Michael Keene’s music (despite wide reports that he’s an extremely lovely dude, personally) so I’m hopeful it will be good overall.

What else is good today that I should play later, friendos?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

What else is good today that I should play later, friendos?

Glassjaw, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They were playing one of the new Faceless songs (Black Star?) on the radio a bunch a few weeks back, personally I thought it was not very good but maybe the rest of the album is better?

e: wait Glassjaw put out new material? Coloring Book and that other EP a few years ago were great.