Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

It feels strange being genuinely happy for an Australia win but here we are.

tarbrush posted:

Yes, as he and I share a surname :) Seems good for his age, but I'm terrible at telling who's going to kick on and who's going to plateau. Get the vague feeling he's being passed by Underhill at the moment.

Mercer and Ellis Genge are the two English players Im most excited for this year. Hopefully Underhill is as good as they say too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Personally, it bothers me that Tom Robertson has a win over the All Blacks. He's loving garbage.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This excerp from Lee Byrne's autobiography about Jerry Collins is amazing

quote:

Lee Byrne autobiography: Sunday drinking sessions and the brilliant tales of my special mate Jerry Collins

Lee Byrne was especially close to Jerry Collins, a team-mate at the Ospreys and great friend off the field of play.

He devotes an entire chapter in his new book, the Byrne Identity, to the New Zealander he shared so many memories with. Here, in this extract from the autobiography, he shares some of them with you as well...

Every time I hear the electric gates opening in my driveway, it’s the same, even today. I will stop what I’m doing for a moment and look up, half expecting Jerry Collins to walk through them, looking the worse for wear. For two years, when Jerry and I were team-mates at the Ospreys, it was a sight I became used to. The big man had his own house, you understand, but at weekends, to intents and purposes, he’d be at mine. Or at least he’d crash there when he wasn’t out enjoying himself. He wasn’t really one to follow normal rules, you see. Jerry and I became the best of friends. He was fearsome on the field, but impossible to dislike off it; unconcerned by money, and generous to a fault. Although he did own a car, he had lifts or taxis everywhere.

On Sundays (his main time for drinking), he’d hire a cab for the day. Not for him the bright lights of Swansea or Cardiff. Instead he’d get the driver to take him to the rugby club in, say, Hirwaun, where he’d spend the day having a few pints with the locals. He’d generally be dressed in shorts, a vest and flip-flops: he didn’t really do smart. One time – for a change – I organised a night out in Bristol, together with my mates Jonathan Stoker and Mark Florence. Jerry had splashed out and bought himself a shirt, some jeans and a decent pair of shoes. We hired a limo to take us. We were heading towards the M4, passing through the Cardiff suburb of Ely, when Jerry asked the driver to stop at this random pub.

‘This is my local,’ he said – explaining that he’d been drinking there on his day off – and wanted to go in and say hello. He produced a bag containing his usual garb – shorts, vest, flip-flops – and changed, explaining that the regulars would never recognise him otherwise. Inside, he insisted on buying everyone a Jägerbomb... before changing back into his smart gear for the journey to Bristol. That night, or another like it, ended in surreal fashion. It was daylight as we walked back to our hotel. A rubbish truck was doing its rounds and Jerry – who’d once been a bin-man in his home town of Wellington – decided he wanted to help. The next thing I knew he was on the back of the truck, getting off to collect the rubbish bags. The crew didn’t mind – they even let me sit up front next to the driver, who happened to be Welsh.

Our favourite haunt was The Three Golden Cups in Southerndown. Each week ‘Sunday club’ would convene, starting at midday. It would be Jerry, me, Scott Baldwin – the Wales hooker – and my mates Jonathan Stoker, Rory Pitman and Jamie Docherty. We’d load up the jukebox, get stuck into the Jägerbombs and shoot some pool, before emerging, steaming, around 8pm. The festivities would continue till the small hours at my place – usually to the strains of ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’ by the Boomtown Rats on the sound system. A few hours after I’d wake up, feeling awful, to the scent of omelettes cooking downstairs. After he’d eaten and smoked a couple of fags, Jerry would be good to go: I’d be wrecked.

One Monday morning I threw up in the car en route to training. Despite being seemingly hangover-proof, JC still went to some levels to maintain the image. Before we got to the ground, he’d tell me to pull over at a newsagent’s so he could buy a paper: he’d then fold it up and carry it under his arm into training. He said it made him look businesslike. To be fair, he always looked the same, hungover or not... unless, that is, you got up close, and smelled the vodka emanating from his pores. JC usually looked the part too, but not necessarily because he’d done his laundry. One time – having forgotten or lost his training gear – he made me stop at a sports shop in Bridgend. Inside, he bought a complete set of Ospreys replica kit and some rugby boots. Most people wouldn’t get away with such antics, but he always trained as well as anyone. It helped that he kept himself extremely fit, doing extra boxing sessions in the week to supplement the rugby.

Although losing Jerry was a tragedy, I’m so glad I knew him. He was an infectious character, true to himself, and one of the most fun people you could hope to meet. I guess he was inspiration, too: a walking lesson about the importance of enjoying things and making the most of every moment.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

What on earth is going on in Edinburgh?

Firtst club captain Magnus Bradbury has been suspended for getting pissed, falling over, and bumping his head. And now John Haride has joined him cause he's been at the booger sugar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41700660

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

What on earth is going on in Edinburgh?

Firtst club captain Magnus Bradbury has been suspended for getting pissed, falling over, and bumping his head. And now John Haride has joined him cause he's been at the booger sugar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41700660

Such a terrible organisation in every way. Wish I lived in Glasgow

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Simon Zebo is going to France.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Wales have picked an amateur player, an All Black and Rhys Priestland in their Autumn squad :neckbeard:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they going to make a YouTube series following their odd couple/triple relationship?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

So how com Savea isn"t in the AB squad now?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

There's been a significant dip in his form, and while he was tearing it up in the Mitre10 Cup, it's just the NPC. Naholo and Ioane are both playing better, and are similar wingers to him.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

bigfoot again posted:

Coaches said they wanted him to have a big off season.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tyma posted:

Wales have picked an amateur player, an All Black and Rhys Priestland in their Autumn squad :neckbeard:

Which All Black (I are dumb)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Marler got banned for being a oval office and will have to miss the autumn tests. Dylan got away with his thing though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh wait, somehow they're loving it about so he might be available for the autumn tests. loving hell.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41866916

Niko's back then.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Canada v NZ Maori about to start

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Anyone got a non-region blocked version of this?

Nevermind, got hola working. Great try.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 4, 2017

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

Canada v NZ Maori about to start

And over as soon as it started

Canada sucks, expect 0-4 for the autumn tour unfortunately

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The RWC Recommendations have opened some major salt mines in France and typical Irish “sure we were hosed anyway why did we bother we so poo poo” from Ireland.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Just caught up with matches from yesterday. What's up with the Ospreys this season? How do you let Edinburgh score 37 points?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Just caught up with matches from yesterday. What's up with the Ospreys this season? How do you let Edinburgh score 37 points?

Half of our squad is injured, and the half that's left doesn't want to play for The Ospreys, because they have a Wales tour / upcoming transfer opportunity that they need to be fit for.

Our squad is so thin that we named amateur players in our Champions Cup squad, and started one of them in the Second Row. Within 60 minutes literally every winger in our squad was injured, and he had to move from Second Row to play out on the wing (We'd already moved our Fly-Half to the other wing). When that turned out to work, Warren Gatland came calling, and we haven't heard from him since.

After selling our two star players at the start of the season, the coaches from both of their new teams remarked that they'd had the talent and fitness coached out of them, and had to be rested for a few months, so that they could start training again from scratch. The Scarlets fans have started taking signs to non-derby games, to proclaim how much they love and support our coach, and hope he remains at The Ospreys for many years (at least 4, with his current contract).

The only consistency so far this season is that opposing fans of every team still sing Lion King songs at Scott Baldwin, every time we take a line-out.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aye... but it's still Edinburgh. A team created out of terribad players for the amusement of every other team in the league, and that's after Townsend takes anyone that isn't utterly rubbish or on cocaine. Even Treviso beat Edinburgh.

Also, if you will get bitten by a lion because you're a moron, expect to hear The Lion Sleeps Tonight forever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The secret is Edinburgh have Tovey. The very first time I saw him play for the Dragons I thought, there's a player who deserves to play for a better team.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Aye... but it's still Edinburgh. A team created out of terribad players for the amusement of every other team in the league, and that's after Townsend takes anyone that isn't utterly rubbish or on cocaine. Even Treviso beat Edinburgh.

Also, if you will get bitten by a lion because you're a moron, expect to hear The Lion Sleeps Tonight forever.

I watched the game and they're actually looking...ok? Blair Kinghorn is kinda freakish

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

I watched the game and they're actually looking...ok? Blair Kinghorn is kinda freakish

Kinghorn is one of the few guys that might actually be really good. Which is a huge relief because Scotland are hosed at fullback if Hogg get injured. Jamie Richie is playing well at 6 but he's still pretty young and inexperienced at the moment.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/EllisGenge/status/928343415259099136

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

England pick slade and Underhill which should be interesting. But also Hartley still starts for some reason.

New Zealand pick a strong team. Walespick some people I’ve never heard of. Owen Williams is at 12.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

And Ireland have picked Bundee Aki. And SA play Pieter Stef du Toit at flanker again despite him being a total embarassment at it

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Townsend has picked the best team he can considering the horror show of injuries to the Scotland squad, especially in the front row. Darryl Marfo, George Turner, Jamie Bhatti, and Chris Harris make their debut against Samoa and Huw Jones returns from an excellent Currie Cup showing with Western Province. The backs looks pretty scary but the pack might struggle if they get into an arm wrestle. Barclay returns as captain with Laidlaw out and Toonie goes with his Vice Captain thing with Ryan Wilson and Stuart Hogg to add a bit more leadership depth to the team.

1. Darryl Marfo (Edinburgh Rugby)
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby)
3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby)
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6. John Barclay (Scarlets) Captain
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors)
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)

16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors)
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors)
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
20. Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby)
21. Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
23. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

bessantj posted:

The secret is Edinburgh have Tovey. The very first time I saw him play for the Dragons I thought, there's a player who deserves to play for a better team.

The thing is, when he left the Dragons he was deemed surplus to requirements. For a team with limited recruitment resources, their ability to make the most of what they've got is dreadful.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Mike Brown just got hit in the air and landed on his head. Doesn't look good for him at the moment.

Edit: He's up and off for HIA. Argentinian got away with a yellow.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Looked like a pretty close contest for the ball. Brown certainly came off worse though. Hopefully he's alright and it's nothing too serious.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Great try from Hughes.

In other news, Huw Jones continues to be excellent.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland are some how dominating Samoa in the physical battle. :psyduck:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland are going to go full Scotland by the end of this match.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

High scoring exciting game this

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We're gonna get stomped in the other tests of course

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I think Huw Jones has the potential be genuinely world class, he's playing so well.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

haha jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland restarts are an absolute tire fire.