Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I was a kid, my dad used to take me to the video store a lot. We'd rent something or buy something all the time.

Once I wanted to rent Pumpkinhead. I saw the Mcfarlane toy once and was drat curious. The movie had Bishop on the cover and a sweet looking monster.

Dad said it was a bad movie.

I rented it anyway. It became a favorite of mine ever since. And watching it right now, it holds up so well.

Pumpkinhead is a goddamn all timer. Shame Winston didn't direct more. He's astonishingly a great filmmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And my dad was wrong and I tell him how loving wrong he is about Pumpkinhead all the time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

precision posted:

oh wow, it really is happening.

i hope they go after woody allen next. or put Brett Ratner and Jeremy Piven together in the same cell. I feel like they'd get along.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think I'm gonna make a thread about all of the Weinstein/Hollywood sexual assault stuff so we can stop talking about it in the fun thread about lovely movies, y'all should post articles that should be in the OP for peeps to read. I'd like the first post to have some perspectives from women in Hollywood and then the second will have a running list of all of the people currently in line to be hung from the rafters by their dicks.

Also, better title: "Hollywood Grope-a-palooza!", "Hollywood Grope-tacular!" or "Hollywood Babylon 3: Harvey's Milk"?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm gonna have to say no on a thread specifically about that. It's just going to devolve into people arguing in bad faith or trolling or siding with rapists and I'm just going to end up closing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

I'm gonna have to say no on a thread specifically about that. It's just going to devolve into people arguing in bad faith or trolling or siding with rapists and I'm just going to end up closing it.

Unfortunately true :\

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

GonSmithe posted:

Fair enough. It's a pretty big loving deal (and it's only going to get bigger I bet) and it seems weird that we don't have a dedicated place to talk about it, but you're 100% right about what would happen in there so I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GonSmithe posted:

Vanilla WoW loving SUCKS, even more so than the rest of WoW. Getting rid of artifact weapons is also so dumb.

Vanilla WoW was amazing, mainly because it was something I could pour an obscene amount of time into (Warlock class lead in a raiding guild, first Mish'Undare, Circlet of the Mind Flayer on the Malygos server) when I was 15. I have absolutely zero desire to go back, though~

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even in the GBS thread there haven't really been people siding with rapists. A thread about the issue wouldcertainly be helpful at least for keeping track of the latest accusations. It's nearly impossible to follow all of them now and I'm mostly relying on threads like these to highlight the notable ones.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If you do make a thread about it, absolutely do not give it a name like grope-a-palooza or something. Not every thread needs a snarky title, and a megathread on Hollywood sexism and coercion definitely shouldn't have one.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yeah, the LA DSA co-chair had to step down and go to sensitivity training after tweeting a joke about Hollywood’s unraveling, jokes are not really the way to deal with this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah, the LA DSA co-chair had to step down and go to sensitivity training after tweeting a joke about Hollywood’s unraveling, jokes are not really the way to deal with this.

Was that the Cosby star thing because that was blown way the gently caress out of proportion

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Was that the Cosby star thing because that was blown way the gently caress out of proportion

Yup, that‘s exactly what I was talking about. I think centrists and leftists with an axe to grind against Chapo misinterpreted it (some probably willingly) and made it way worse than it was, but on the other hand the timing was pretty lovely.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

K. Waste posted:

If you do make a thread about it, absolutely do not give it a name like grope-a-palooza or something. Not every thread needs a snarky title, and a megathread on Hollywood sexism and coercion definitely shouldn't have one.

So no "Harvey's Milk"? I was kinda proud of that one.

i agree with you and i probably wouldn't actually have named it any of those things. i was just making a joke in this, the thread for lovely jokes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vegetable posted:

Even in the GBS thread there haven't really been people siding with rapists. A thread about the issue wouldcertainly be helpful at least for keeping track of the latest accusations. It's nearly impossible to follow all of them now and I'm mostly relying on threads like these to highlight the notable ones.

I made a list of the most notable Hollywood examples in the post-Weinstein fallout. Guys like Halperin and the NPR/New Republic cases are a part of this, but not Hollywood adjacent.

List of Accused Men:

Harvey Weinstein - ür-indie producer, head of Miramax and The Weinstein Company
Kevin Spacey - Oscar winner, star of American Beauty and House of Cards
Brett Ratner - director of X-Men: The Last Stand and the Rush Hour
Roy Price - Amazon Studios Head of Development
Dustin Hoffman - Oscar winner, star of The Graduate, Kramer vs. Kramer
Jeremy Piven - Entourage star
Danny Masterson - The Ranch and That 70's Show star, scientologist
James Toback - 80's director
David Guillod - Atomic Blonde Producer, former manager
John Grissom - was in 2 movies, alleged abuser of Corey Feldman

Also, here is a depressing list of people telling stories about their own personal experiences with sexual harassment/abuse in Hollywood. This ranges from simple tweets acknowledging that it happens to actual stories of incidents.

I also genuinely think/hope/pray that we get a huge expose about Dan Schneider by the end of the year, because that guy has been a creepy gently caress for going on 20 years.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 4, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Been thinkin bout the Chatty Terminator ever since

Honestly the idea of a chatty Terminator rules, especially if it's the big titty leather Terminator from the third one. If she spent every scene awkwardly rambling about how frustrating and exhausting it is to kill all these future resistance leaders, she would def. be in my top five most relatable characters

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Rosemary's Baby 2: Bride of Woody

edit: My Winnipeg is still insanely good. Has anyone seen The Green Fog?

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 4, 2017

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has anyone made a joke about Kevin Spacey and Brian Singer being the Usual Suspects when it comes to preying on young men?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Budgie Jumping posted:

Has anyone made a joke about Kevin Spacey and Brian Singer being the Usual Suspects when it comes to preying on young men?

Go sit in the shame box for 30 minutes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm sure everyone who worked on Boss Baby are all giving a sigh of relief right now.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Go sit in the shame box for 30 minutes

I'm already in the shame box, jerk! I was born in the shame box!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Which is why the thread shouldn't exist at all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I have such sights to show you

I feel like there is a sadness inside you.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Is the new Stranger Things bad? My gf is watching it so I've caught glimpses and it looks cheap and bad.

It's one of those things that is better the less you think about it. Much like season one it lives and dies on the characters and actors because the writing is pretty mediocre and if you've seen a lot of movies there's nothing new here. Not what I'd call essential viewing but I was bored at the time.

DC Murderverse posted:

I made a list of the most notable Hollywood examples in the post-Weinstein fallout. Guys like Halperin and the NPR/New Republic cases are a part of this, but not Hollywood adjacent.

List of Accused Men:

Harvey Weinstein - ür-indie producer, head of Miramax and The Weinstein Company
Kevin Spacey - Oscar winner, star of American Beauty and House of Cards
Brett Ratner - director of X-Men: The Last Stand and the Rush Hour
Roy Price - Amazon Studios Head of Development
Dustin Hoffman - Oscar winner, star of The Graduate, Kramer vs. Kramer
Jeremy Piven - Entourage star
Danny Masterson - The Ranch and That 70's Show star, scientologist
James Toback - 80's director
David Guillod - Atomic Blonde Producer, former manager
John Grissom - was in 2 movies, alleged abuser of Corey Feldman

Also, here is a depressing list of people telling stories about their own personal experiences with sexual harassment/abuse in Hollywood. This ranges from simple tweets acknowledging that it happens to actual stories of incidents.

I also genuinely think/hope/pray that we get a huge expose about Dan Schneider by the end of the year, because that guy has been a creepy gently caress for going on 20 years.

There's also David O. Russell and are we just not going to include Louis CK?

edit - This article better details the many horrors of David O. Russell: https://www.thedailybeast.com/hollywood-terror-director-david-o-russells-history-of-groping-and-on-set-abuse

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 4, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A Cure for Wellness was the new movie this week on Cinemax, and i’m about halfway through it right now.

It’s pretty, but man, it’s weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/926386031078858753

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I hope this is true because that's kind of hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I hope this is true because that's kind of hilarious.

The replies have links to articles about Al Qaeda blaming Hezbollah for starting rumours that Israel did 9/11

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

The replies have links to articles about Al Qaeda blaming Hezbollah for starting rumours that Israel did 9/11

Hezbollah is a 4chan front????

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hezbollah is a 4chan front????

Don't act shocked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/cybertosser/status/926455329055010817

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't even process the horrifying absurdity of this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Al Qaeda, 9/11 truthers and the Iranian regime deserve each other.

This poo poo is hilarious.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Al Qaeda and the Iranian regime deserve each other.

This poo poo is hilarious.

I'm referring more specifically to the fact that the man who was behind the worst terrorist attack on US soil which our country plunged itself into massive debt over, who was the cause of all the recent erosion of our civil liberties, who was the boogeyman of the entire western world just sitting in a house in a dank bedroom trolling people on the internet for a solid decade about said terrorist attack. Think about everything that went into finding him. And there he was sprawled out like some neckbeard for years just talking poo poo to people on webforums about it. Satire is obsolete.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I'm referring more specifically to the fact that the man who was behind the worst terrorist attack on US soil which our country plunged itself into massive debt over, who was the cause of all the recent erosion of our civil liberties, who was the boogeyman of the entire western world just sitting in a house in a dank bedroom trolling people on the internet for a solid decade about said terrorist attack. Think about everything that went into finding him. And there he was sprawled out like some neckbeard for years just talking poo poo to people on webforums about it. Satire is obsolete.

Oh, definitely. I don’t think a dystopian science fiction writer could have even dreamed this poo poo up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gonz posted:

Oh, definitely. I don’t think a dystopian science fiction writer could have even dreamed this poo poo up.

There's a reason William Gibson and Neal Stephenson stopped writing books that were supposed to take place in the future.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I want to know what bin laden favorite NES game was

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I want to know what bin laden favorite NES game was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJPGE9iy4-o

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I feel like there is a sadness inside you.

Yeah. I am a huge failure and too old to be where I am.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

There's a reason William Gibson and Neal Stephenson stopped writing books that were supposed to take place in the future.

Not quite, the latest Gibson is a return to future-stuff and also alternate realities

It's also his best novel at least since ATP, maybe ever. Like gently caress, it's incredible.

I hope the Pattern Recognition movie ends up okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. I am a huge failure and too old to be where I am.

Welcome to America

• Locked thread