Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006

alnilam posted:

My Nexus 5x is bugging me to update to Android 8.0. Has anyone else with a 5x done so, and did it perform okay?

I updated about a month ago and haven't noticed any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

alnilam posted:

My Nexus 5x is bugging me to update to Android 8.0. Has anyone else with a 5x done so, and did it perform okay?

I've updated my 5X to 8.0 as soon as the update was available and it was fine. The most major gripe I can think of is a new notification for some apps running in the background but it's more of a minor nuisance than a bug:

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/08/android-o-background-apps-notification/

It's supposedly fixed in Android 8.1, not sure if the 5X is getting that tho.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gunstav posted:

I updated about a month ago and haven't noticed any difference.

same. It constantly gives me notifications about the weather now, but other than that it's the same

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Also, the text app on the 2XL is showing all my friends as phone numbers instead of names, even though if I long press and say Edit Contact it clearly shows that it knows them. I did a USB cable import from my 6p, what gives?

Actually, now my 2XL is doing this as well.

Scroogl'd

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Getting back to this.

I have 3 cases for my XL2 because I'm an idiot who tries to be prepared for every situation.

The first one I got was the Caseology Vault. I always get a TPU case for when I know I'm going to be out and about for a long span of time using my phone while being outdoors. It's a bit thicker than what Diztronic usually does. The pattern isn't as contrasty as the photos show (which is good IMO). The lip around the screen is beveled as well which makes edge swiping easier.

I also got the Spigen Thin Fit. I like shell cases for back and corner protection. It's every so slightly thicker than the Bear Motion cases. There's a nice bevel around the fingerprint sensor to make access easier.

I also have the fabric case in Carbon. It's in between these two cases in size. I like that most of the bottom is exposed. The buttons are well done and the case feels nice in hand though it's a bit slippery oddly enough. Time will tell to see how it stands up to wear and tear.

I actually just got back from Best Buy and picked up the fabric case myself once I noticed they had it. I LOVE the feeling of it and it's really nice.

I went there for the Incipio which I didn't even see, but left with the fabric as soon as I opened it to look at it. It was kind of an immediate purchase because it really looks that nice.

Also, I don't think you're an idiot. :v: It's an expensive phone so it only makes sense to spend something on it to protect it.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
What's the recommended USB-C PD car charger du jour?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

sirbeefalot posted:

This probably sounds really dumb and is most likely not the problem, but check that the app has Contacts permissions.

I had this problem in Hangouts and this was the solution so I wouldn't say it's dumb.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I now want a Note8.
WTF is wrong with me?

Actually if the normal S8 had the dual cameras and 6GB ram I'd probably go that route, but in the meantime... Hoping for a good black friday deal since I missed the discount a last week. Its on -$200 promo right now at WorstBuy, but I think BF will do better.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Got my 2XL today. Noticable blue shift, but that's on the white setup screen. Honestly, doesn't seem more than a little bit worse than my 6P.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I actually just got back from Best Buy and picked up the fabric case myself once I noticed they had it. I LOVE the feeling of it and it's really nice.

I went there for the Incipio which I didn't even see, but left with the fabric as soon as I opened it to look at it. It was kind of an immediate purchase because it really looks that nice.

Also, I don't think you're an idiot. :v: It's an expensive phone so it only makes sense to spend something on it to protect it.

One issue I have with the fabric case is it's a complete PITA to remove. It's more rigid than TPU, but with full top coverage is a bit hard to pop out. I feel like I'm going to either break the phone or case getting it out.

I like to take the case off at least once a week to clean out any dust that works it's way in before it really has a chance to do damage.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
cant stop thinkin bout Xiaomi Mi A1 Android One Edition :allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I now want a Note8.
WTF is wrong with me?

Actually if the normal S8 had the dual cameras and 6GB ram I'd probably go that route, but in the meantime... Hoping for a good black friday deal since I missed the discount a last week. Its on -$200 promo right now at WorstBuy, but I think BF will do better.

It's a really good phone, fantastic battery life, excellent camera, best screen I've ever seen on a phone ever. However, if software updates are important and having Oreo/8.1 is important, the Note 8 is the wrong choice. It's the reason I'm still going to pick up a 2XL.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

One issue I have with the fabric case is it's a complete PITA to remove. It's more rigid than TPU, but with full top coverage is a bit hard to pop out. I feel like I'm going to either break the phone or case getting it out.

I like to take the case off at least once a week to clean out any dust that works it's way in before it really has a chance to do damage.

Maybe starting from the bottom and working towards the top would work better?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a really good phone, fantastic battery life, excellent camera, best screen I've ever seen on a phone ever. However, if software updates are important and having Oreo/8.1 is important, the Note 8 is the wrong choice. It's the reason I'm still going to pick up a 2XL.
To be fair it sounds like theres an oreo beta in progress and I *HATE* the way my oreo turns my phone into a brick unless I'm actively using it. So Sticking with N and getting security updates would be my ideal.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

I *HATE* the way my oreo turns my phone into a brick unless I'm actively using it.

Care to elaborate?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ilkhan posted:

To be fair it sounds like theres an oreo beta in progress and I *HATE* the way my oreo turns my phone into a brick unless I'm actively using it. So Sticking with N and getting security updates would be my ideal.
The Oreo beta is for the S8/S8+, nothing on the Note 8 yet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I *HATE* the way my oreo turns my phone into a brick unless I'm actively using it

Not sure what you mean? I had it on my Pixel XL and it was definitely an improvement over N.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I assume they dislike the dooze function of Oreo?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

I assume they dislike the dooze function of Oreo?

Doze was added in Marshmallow. To what specific change in Oreo are you referring? The background execution limits?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kind of at my wits end here and need some help. I have an OG Pixel (non-XL version) running Oreo that I've been using with no problems and no complaints until today. I was cleaning the house and decided to put some music on using a JBL Charge 3 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker that we bought recently to use for parties. This was my first time pairing the phone to the speaker, and it worked fine. However, when I disconnected the phone from the speaker, the problems started:

- Sound wouldn't play in any app. If I attempted to play a song in Google Play, there was no sound and the songs just cycle through non-stop.
- I can't make or receive phone calls, not even to my voicemail inbox. On the off chance I answer a call and it connects, there's no sound on either end.
- Audio won't play in Whatsapp or any other messaging app.
- Some apps (Instagram, PAD, Youtube, etc) won't even open.

When I pair the phone to the speaker, or any other bluetooth device, functionality returns for the most part. After doing some research on various Bluetooth issues with Oreo, I've tried:

- Clearing the Bluetooth cache
- Clearing the Network settings cache
- Resetting in Safe Mode (same issues, no change)

At this point I'm backing up my essential data in preparation for cache partition wipe, and if that doesn't work, a factory reset. I know there's been some issues with Bluetooth on Pixels recently, but I haven't found any posts that reference an issue like this or any fixes that seem to address it. Any advice before I just give up and wipe the phone?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 4, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Q_res posted:

Got my 2XL today. Noticable blue shift, but that's on the white setup screen. Honestly, doesn't seem more than a little bit worse than my 6P.

This has been my experience as well. The setup screen makes it very pronounced, but in regular use it's not very noticeable. As mad as I am about the Google rep who condescendingly told me that "it was an inherent quality of the screen and most people don't notice or care about it" after 24 hours of use he's kind of right.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've had my 2XL for a few days now, and it sure seems like the internet fell into one of those self sustaining pile-ons because the screen is totally fine. I find it a bit on the dull side color wise, but I'm just gonna flip the saturation switch when Google releases the option :cool:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

spincube posted:

[nasal stopped-learning-in-2006 whine] but but this is Android, the tinkerer's OS, if you don't tinker you're Androiding wrong

I'm sure it would be a tinkerers OS, roughly 2 years before it was initially released.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On my new 2XL Gmail isn't properly getting push emails. I have to go into the app and refresh. Confirmed its set to push and that Battery Optimization for Gmail is set to "Not Optimized." Anyone have any ideas on what I could be missing?

Inbox is fine, even though it doesn't have a little warning so I didn't set it to not optimized. Problem is I have an ActiveSync account that I like to use Gmail for. Exchange 2010, although I doubt that matters in this case.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Peachfart posted:

I'm sure it would be a tinkerers OS, roughly 2 years before it was initially released.

Leave him alone he clearly suffered some kind of brain injury in 2006 that made him unable to learn anything new?

I mean that is a strange thing for someone posting on an internet forum to say when everybody who is hip doesn't know what the gently caress a something awful is (is that on Snapchat???)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Doze was added in Marshmallow. To what specific change in Oreo are you referring? The background execution limits?
Pretty much. So loving tired of picking up my phone and having half a dozen emails show up. Doze was ok, it didn't active unless it was overnight. N and O have both ramped it up to stupid levels. Good for battery life. Bad for functionality.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've had my 2XL for a few days now, and it sure seems like the internet fell into one of those self sustaining pile-ons because the screen is totally fine. I find it a bit on the dull side color wise, but I'm just gonna flip the saturation switch when Google releases the option :cool:

It varies by phone, I know this for a fact because I bought two at the same time and they had varying degree of blue shift. Happy to hear yours is good but some are pretty bad even head on. But at least aside from that pretty much everything else can be fixed with software.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

It is a little annoying how aggressive doze seems to be - I'll completely miss someone messaging me on snapchat and only notice when I open it on a whim, which gets me paranoid that I'm missing messages, meaning that I open the app a bunch, doubtless draining the battery more than keeping the notification service alive would be doing :shrug:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I find it a bit on the dull side color wise, but I'm just gonna flip the saturation switch when Google releases the option :cool:

They already have... it's a mere 10% difference supposedly, but I saw no difference at all. When I noticed that I cancelled my order.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

They already have... it's a mere 10% difference supposedly, but I saw no difference at all. When I noticed that I cancelled my order.

That's always been there. They're adding a literal Samsung-style saturated color option in an upcoming update.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/FRyoLZZjXvo

quote:

On the topic of color saturation, we designed the Pixel 2 XL to take advantage of multiple facets of the innovative new pOLED technology, including QHD+ resolution with 538 pixels per inch and a wide color gamut. One of our design intents was to achieve a more natural and accurate rendition of colors. We know that some people prefer more saturated colors, so both Pixel 2 phones already include an option to boost colors by 10% for a more vivid look. And based on the recent feedback, we’re adding a new mode for more saturated colors, which will be made available via a software update to both Pixel 2 phones in the next few weeks.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Moving from apple to pixel 2.

Help me with this Android thing.

There's a lot I like but a lot I don't. I feel the things I don't could be fixed with customization but I'm not sure:

1) I want my fingerprint to work in apps but not to unlock my phone

2) I want to be able to text and get directions using Google assistant but require my screen get unlocked if I want to do things like search the web. Some kind of interface that let's me choose what's allowed to be used from the lock screen and what isn't.

3) how do I have a boarding pass clickable from the lock screen (similar to passbook)?

4) how do I have Android tell me I'm still on a call when the phone app is minimized?

5) how do I have apps only use my location when the app is open?

Any help here would be great. I'm loving Google assistant but these issues are really killing my experience.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

1: You don't
2: You don't
3: Leave it on the boarding pass in your airline's app
4: Its in the notification shade
5: You don't / Oreo has pretty massive restrictions on background apps

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

2) I want to be able to text and get directions using Google assistant but require my screen get unlocked if I want to do things like search the web. Some kind of interface that let's me choose what's allowed to be used from the lock screen and what isn't.

3) how do I have a boarding pass clickable from the lock screen (similar to passbook)?
It sounds like you might want to look into custom lock screens? I don't use them personally though.

quote:

4) how do I have Android tell me I'm still on a call when the phone app is minimized?
There should be a notification while the call is active.

quote:

5) how do I have apps only use my location when the app is open?

Any help here would be great. I'm loving Google assistant but these issues are really killing my experience.
Apps do only use location while they are running, the difference is that Android fully supports multitasking so apps can keep running in the background. You should have an icon in the notification bar while GPS location tracking is active. Use the app switcher to close the app and you will see that icon go away.
There are various ways to set up a GPS quick toggle widget if you really want to maintain paranoiac control over it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's always been there. They're adding a literal Samsung-style saturated color option in an upcoming update.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/FRyoLZZjXvo

Ah poo poo I had a feeling that would happen, will probably be available before my wife even gets hers.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I dont know what happened but google updated and I can't add songs from my phone through the YouTube app onto my Xbox YouTube. Any ideas?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ilkhan posted:

1: You don't
2: You don't
3: Leave it on the boarding pass in your airline's app
4: Its in the notification shade
5: You don't / Oreo has pretty massive restrictions on background apps

Welp it was a good try then android but still not as user friendly and privacy minded as apple. gently caress. I really didn't want to upgrade to the X but looks like I have no choice. Thanks for helping anyway :)

Edit: Ok that sounded lovely. I really wanted Google assistant because Siri loving blows and I'm sad I won't get it.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 4, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Welp it was a good try then android but still not as user friendly and privacy minded as apple. gently caress. I really didn't want to upgrade to the X but looks like I have no choice. Thanks for helping anyway :)
Why would you want your fingerprint to work in apps but not unlock the phone? I just ask "why?" to all of those.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fyallm posted:

I dont know what happened but google updated and I can't add songs from my phone through the YouTube app onto my Xbox YouTube. Any ideas?

What is an Xbox YouTube?

How are you putting songs from your phone into YouTube? Are these videos with a song as the audio track?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Why would you want your fingerprint to work in apps but not unlock the phone? I just ask "why?" to all of those.

A password is More secure when your phone is locked. Once my phone is un locked I want convenience of just using my fingerprint since the phone is in hand.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

What is an Xbox YouTube?

How are you putting songs from your phone into YouTube? Are these videos with a song as the audio track?

Guessing they mean casting.