Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Man the iPhone feels REALLY good in the hand. There is some considerable weight to it that I like, much like the 4 or 5.

Piece of poo poo is saying preparing for update for the last 10 minutes. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I will be getting an iPhone X in a few weeks as I move from a 5S. What is he best way to transfer from one phone to another? It is a Verizon phone and we do not use the iCloud storage set up. Without iCloud storage can I still do the iCloud transfer? Do I have to plug it in my computer for iTunes? I have not plugged my phone into a computer for at least a year so if this is the case, I will have to update iTunes which takes forever and I should start now.

What is the preferred QI wireless charger pads (both cheap and expensive) that can be used with the IPhone?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That picture made me realize that I’ve never set up Apple Pay on a phone (since I had a 5S and a Watch). Isn’t the card you have tied to your Apple account supposed to be linked automatically?

Nope. You have to deliberately set that poo poo up for Apple Pay. Which is as it should be.

You can use TouchID to authorize purchases using the payment method attached to your iTunes account, but that's just replacing entering a password.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Got my iPhone X. Waited about 30 mins in an appointment line then took about an hour to setup and trade in my old phone. Liking it so far. Awful App looks good on the X, FYI.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 4, 2017

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Overall, I like my X. But when I put it side by side with my iPhone 6 Plus, it's not as bright and honestly, I can't tell the difference in the screen when it comes to safari, apps. There is a difference in video in favor of the X, but again, the actual video is smaller than the Plus screen.

Holy poo poo it's fast though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ugh. Some reason my X has no att service. Anyone experiencing this today? Att just overloaded?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah it took me like 45min to get past the AT&T activation, and probably an hour after that to actually activate the phone.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

jaegerx posted:

Ugh. Some reason my X has no att service. Anyone experiencing this today? Att just overloaded?

It took me roughly 2 hours of hammering “try again” to finally get my att iphone x to activate. Its a known issue for the day. What finally helped for me was kicking it off my wifi and forcing it to use cell towers, ymmv. My wifi is super slow.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

How about OLED burn-in gate?

Apple released info today that oled burn in is considered “normal”.

Interested to see how that manifests...

they’re covering their arse by stipulating that natural ageing of the display won’t be covered under warranty. same as they do with the batteries (possibly even display idk) on every previous iPhone. the thing will be fine

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

rdb posted:

It took me roughly 2 hours of hammering “try again” to finally get my att iphone x to activate. Its a known issue for the day. What finally helped for me was kicking it off my wifi and forcing it to use cell towers, ymmv. My wifi is super slow.

I wish there was a reactivate button or something. Right now I’ve got a $1000 iPad with lovely hotel WiFi instead of a phone. Everything else came through fine. Just no carrier.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So if I use True Tone does that mean I can turn off night shift? 🤔

(I guess it doesn’t matter but I was just wondering.)

Night shift does make it nicer to read your phone in a pitch black room but if you don’t do that a lot the patrician videophile move is to turn it off as it’s a bit overpowering.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
The blue tint when you even slightly tilt in any direction is a little disappointing :( I have true tone on, and if you turn the phone in any direction, it looks like you're turning true tone off. Makes me wonder if it true tone was introduced specifically to try to lessen the blue tint on OLED. But even with true tone off, the display gets noticeably "colder" when you tilt. Oh well, not a huge deal. Everything else is great.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Just don't be a weirdo who turns off auto-brightness and sets it to 100% and your screen will be fine

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Make sure to send Animoji to all your friends.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't mind the notch but the Flickr app has a black top bar and the notch just vanishes into it and looks amazing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zero One posted:

I don't mind the notch but the Flickr app has a black top bar and the notch just vanishes into it and looks amazing.

I feel like that's going to be the go-to move for dealing with the notch and I'm okay with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I finally got mine after going to the FedEx depot which was annoying. Activation took a call to Verizon which was a bit surprising, but it's been smooth sailing. A bit disappointing that they shipped it with an old version of iOS and I had to set it up twice (obviously skipped most of everything the first time through). Phone is super nice for sure.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Fuuuuuck watched snippets of a few 4K movies and the screen is amazing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

the display is 2.7 megapixels which is less than 1440p so .... uh.... placebo i guess.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i mean it is pretty, i'm not saying you're stupid, but you might be a fanboy

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Pivo posted:

i mean it is pretty, i'm not saying you're stupid, but you might be a fanboy

This guy who got a 1000$ phone on day one is a fanboy, you say?? 🤔

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

but you can't display 4k content on this display, you would be short around (exactly) 5,553,900 pixels

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

This guy who got a 1000$ phone on day one is a fanboy, you say?? 🤔

hey man i paid 1.8k, 1.9k cad after the wireless charger, im totally a fanboy

but like

let's not lie about the thing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I didn't get my phone until 7pm CST and I have been trying to activate the drat thing since then. AT&T is my friend.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel like that's going to be the go-to move for dealing with the notch and I'm okay with that.

I thought Apple said not to do that? Will be interesting to see how they deal with it if it starts becoming a thing.

e. What's with the whole 'activation' thing? It's something I've never understood about the iPhone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

apple user interface guidelines have never been hard rules

it's just how they prefer you do things

you can get away with breaking them. anyone with a custom GUI or who uses one of those floating action buttons that is typical of modern Android, is breaking iOS HIG

apps with FABs (completely against iOS HIG) have literally won Apple design awards

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can’t honestly say I noticed the difference when watching videos on the QHD display of the S7 edge, the 1080p display of the LG V20, and the whatever-the-gently caress resolution display of my 8. I guess maybe if I was watching full res 20mbit files I might have, but does anyone really watch anything other than streaming video with the lovely streaming video bitrates that come with it on their phones?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 4, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pivo posted:

but you can't display 4k content on this display, you would be short around (exactly) 5,553,900 pixels

It does support HDR and it's much closer to your face than a 4K TV so it looks good even if not true 4K

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Zero One posted:

It does support HDR and it's much closer to your face than a 4K TV so it looks good even if not true 4K

please stop saying stupid things

yes its a decent oled, samsung sure knows how to make 'em. that's why the S8 supports P3 color space too

don't get me wrong. neat to have p3 oled.

it's not 4k, it's 2.7 megapixels. colour is good, but not good off-axis, and not unique to iphone.

christ can you guys just stop lying about the thing

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Pivo posted:

iPhone X sucks close this thread, we got nothin' left to talk about.

edit: Kinda wild how people enjoying things has made people mad on SA for the entire 16 years I've been around this joint.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I said it wasn't 4K.

I stand by my "It looks good" statement.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

io_burn posted:

iPhone X sucks close this thread, we got nothin' left to talk about.

edit: Kinda wild how people enjoying things has made people mad on SA for the entire 16 years I've been around this joint.

no it's a fantastic device, finally oled on an iphone jeez, it's still samsung's last-year parts tho. let's not pretend it's novel. especially let's not pretend it's 4k lol.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
This is a really weird meltdown.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Seriously the carrier is the weakest link in this beautiful chain, this is quite annoying.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Proteus Jones posted:

Nope. You have to deliberately set that poo poo up for Apple Pay. Which is as it should be.

Additionally it sticks the card info into the secure enclave chip on the phone so when you upgrade you need to reactivate all your Apple Pay cards (although the backup apparently remembers generic info about the card so you easily reactivate them all).

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
If you are on Sprint and it asks you for your PIN it might actually be asking you for the last 4 of your SSN, so maybe try that if your PIN doesn't work. This is something I learned after my phone failed to activate for 3 hours :) :).

Selane
May 19, 2006

I wonder how many times that guy is going to reply to "the display looks good" with "stop lying"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pivo posted:

please stop saying stupid things

yes its a decent oled, samsung sure knows how to make 'em. that's why the S8 supports P3 color space too

don't get me wrong. neat to have p3 oled.

it's not 4k, it's 2.7 megapixels. colour is good, but not good off-axis, and not unique to iphone.

:goonsay:

wow

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

fordan posted:

Additionally it sticks the card info into the secure enclave chip on the phone so when you upgrade you need to reactivate all your Apple Pay cards (although the backup apparently remembers generic info about the card so you easily reactivate them all).

I had to scan/enter details for my first card but after that it had all my other cards and only needed the 3 digit security codes to be re-entered.

I ordered this for delivery tomorrow. Good reviews and for $15 it wouldn't suck if it died in year. It has a USB cable but no power adapter but I have a million of those around the house now.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ikr

what's up with "that guy"