Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

No I want a Doom mod where the DOOMGUY is replaced by a stereotypical rabbi.

Change literally nothing else. Just this ripped rabbi waking up, punching computers, and getting right to killing demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I could have sworn that in The New Colossus Set offhandedly mentions that the Da'at Yichud aren't required to be Jewish, just brilliant inventors, but had a lot of Jewish members. I remember thinking it was weird because in TNO it was pretty well spelled out, and it felt like maybe they were trying to step back in light of the criticism?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Haven't played the games yet but the name of the inventors reminds me of Dahir Insaat - "Oh no! The Nazi's have perfected the EARTHQUAKE BED!"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BioEnchanted posted:

Haven't played the games yet but the name of the inventors reminds me of Dahir Insaat - "Oh no! The Nazi's have perfected the EARTHQUAKE BED!"

You mean the InstaCoffin?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I was so surprised at the quality of the VA and writing in TNO. I bought in on sale thinking it would be a fun little diversion but I found myself really invested in the story and the performances. Stuff like when you go to bust Anya out of moon jail you run into her halfway through the level, because she’s used the chaos you created to jailbreak herself. It’s never mentioned in dialogue or anything overt but of course she did, she is good at killing Nazis too.

I also like how much BJ hates Nazis and how pretty much nothing stops him from trying to kill them

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I was so surprised at the quality of the VA and writing in TNO. I bought in on sale thinking it would be a fun little diversion but I found myself really invested in the story and the performances. Stuff like when you go to bust Anya out of moon jail you run into her halfway through the level, because she’s used the chaos you created to jailbreak herself. It’s never mentioned in dialogue or anything overt but of course she did, she is good at killing Nazis too.

I also like how much BJ hates Nazis and how pretty much nothing stops him from trying to kill them

You have to read between the lines in a few different places but Anya was a serial killer murdering Nazis well before BJ woke back up.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

1stGear posted:

You have to read between the lines in a few different places but Anya was a serial killer murdering Nazis well before BJ woke back up.

Don't worry, this is made more obvious in TNC.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Is it really being a "serial killer" and " murdering" when they are at war?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1stGear posted:

She outright tells BJ over the radio near the end of the game that the journal logs by her "aunt" were really her own.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In this world the war is over, resulting in Nazi victory and world domination. BJ's crew are a civilian resistance. So they wouldn't count as soldiers and you're embarking on an extended crime spree rather than a military campaign.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Thanks thread for making me play Doki Doki Literature Club. Now I can go back and reread all those spoilers.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is it really being a "serial killer" and " murdering" when they are killing Nazis?

ftfy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

chernobyl kinsman posted:

that is incredibly hamfisted lmao

Not really, recall how Nazis (as well as businesspeople) seized Jewish property after exiling/imprisoning/murdering them.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wolfenstein is not a subtle game, but capable of like, actually pretty good writing sometimes? Then you fly off to a Nazi moonbase. And then you meet a paranoid and senile Adolf Hitler who spends his time flying off the handle and shooting actors trying out for his pet project and pissing in a jar. On Venus.

But yes to confirm, the alternate timeline of Wolfenstein is entirely based on "Nazis find ancient technology and use it to crush the opposition." The entire reason they have giant robot dogs and laser guns and a moonbase is because of Da'at Yichud technology.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

What about Spindly Torque and the Mech Suit? That's way more than 50 years into the future. No, I'm almost positive that every last bit of futuristic tech that the Nazis have is built from Hebrew blueprints. Because Nazis are stupid. They think torturing people is science.

Both the Spindly Torque and the mech suit were from the vault that the nazis didn't find though. Most of the technology seen in the WW2 portion of TNO was either more advanced stuff seen in previous Wolfenstein games or things that actually existed towards the end of the war. Off the top of my head, the early Monitor and the mecha-dogs are the only things in that section that are new to the series.

Keep in mind that the WW2 section of the game takes place almost a year after WW2 ended in reality. I'm not saying they didn't reverse engineer some of the technology by that point, just that most of it already existed by that point in the series.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Murdoch posted:

The new Wolfenstein games ride a razor thin line and I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they found their style off-putting. It's a mix of pulp and genuine pathos which clearly works for some folks, but not necessarily everyone.

It starts with the main character being bleak and serious and eventually just moves into ludicrous territory. I am reminded of the tagline for the movie Crank 2. "He died... but he got better." That decapitation really did wonders for his health.

I like it though.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Just Offscreen posted:

They originally created the things they did as a sort of philosophical/religious exercise if I remember correctly. They seek enlightenment through discovery of the nature of the world and what is possible. Nature of god through the world he created and whatnot. This all turns out to be extremely dangerous if used by corrupt people, so they lock it away.

Ah so they're like the Greybeards in Skyrim who get pissed at you for using your dragon shouts to kill poo poo, including learning the one shout that can specifically kill Alduin and save the world.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Have you considered the fact that the world was not meant to be saved?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Agents are GO! posted:

But the whole reason I play games is to escape from real life :smith:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Have you considered THE FIST OF KHAJIIT

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rough Lobster posted:

Ah so they're like the Greybeards in Skyrim who get pissed at you for using your dragon shouts to kill poo poo, including learning the one shout that can specifically kill Alduin and save the world.

It's a little more nuanced than that - they dislike you using Shouts for personal gain such as theft, wanton murder and so on. Even the Greybeard that does kick up a fuss about that specific Shout you mention admits he spoke too soon and got too heated about the subject. :v:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Glagha posted:

Wolfenstein is not a subtle game, but capable of like, actually pretty good writing sometimes? Then you fly off to a Nazi moonbase. And then you meet a paranoid and senile Adolf Hitler who spends his time flying off the handle and shooting actors trying out for his pet project and pissing in a jar. On Venus.

But yes to confirm, the alternate timeline of Wolfenstein is entirely based on "Nazis find ancient technology and use it to crush the opposition." The entire reason they have giant robot dogs and laser guns and a moonbase is because of Da'at Yichud technology.

Also, one of the people he shoots is Ronald Regan.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you jackasses at least specify what Wolfenstien game you're posting spoilers for.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I, Butthole posted:

This pleases me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I, Butthole posted:

Hitler... good???

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

Someone of that name, but which doesn't look anything like his namesake, is also clearly too young to be him and claims to be from Arizona rather than Illinois.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The age discrepancies can be handwaved by being an alternate timeline, like the character J in the previous game who was really an adult Jimi Hendrix but would have been a teen in our 1960.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm playing commandos 2 and I'm just enjoying sending my spy ahead and ordering nazis to look where I'm pointing while my soldier stabs them to death, you can kill a base of 100 Nazis this way if you're patient.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I played The Amnesia HD Collection for about ten minutes before deciding it was wayyyy too ugly for an “HD Collection” and the game gave me a Trophy for “noping out”. :geno:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm playing commandos 2 and I'm just enjoying sending my spy ahead and ordering nazis to look where I'm pointing while my soldier stabs them to death, you can kill a base of 100 Nazis this way if you're patient.

Oh man I've had Commandos 2 sitting on a shelf for like 10 years or so? I never could get the fucker to run right on any of my computers.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I played The Amnesia HD Collection for about ten minutes before deciding it was wayyyy too ugly for an “HD Collection” and the game gave me a Trophy for “noping out”. :geno:

:lol:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like how in The Evil Within dlc, Kidman saves by spending quality time with a cat.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh man I've had Commandos 2 sitting on a shelf for like 10 years or so? I never could get the fucker to run right on any of my computers.

:lol:

I got the trilogy on GOG years ago but I've skipped the first because it's awful and basically unplayable,commandos 2 has surprisingly pretty graphics for a 16 year old game.

But oh god....the voice acting....

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I, Butthole posted:

Oh holy poo poo I missed that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wow, the last time anyone was in close proximity to Reagan and didn't realise who he was, he was alone in the bathroom

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
In both the new Wolfensteins the voice acting has been impeccable on all sides. Brian Bloom is a fantastic growly Texas Nazi slayer and Nina Franoszek has been a great villain. Everyone involved just did a really good job.

Also the music rules and was done by the same guy who did the incredibly kickass DOOM soundtrack (Mick Gordon).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XTdmiz4pE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWv6n3QdDE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Glagha posted:

Oh holy poo poo I missed that.

It is a combination of things, there's a note on Hitler's desk listing actors and one is listed as Ronald (last name obscured by coffee stain) and then there's an actor chair with the last name of Reagan on it that one of the actors sits in.

Although they also kind of chickened out because

Kopijeger posted:

Someone of that name, but which doesn't look anything like his namesake, is also clearly too young to be him and claims to be from Arizona rather than Illinois.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I love that game and if you are avoiding using guns outside of the sniper and some emergencies, it breaks down into abilities that draw attention and people who stab them in the back.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

LawfulWaffle posted:

I love that game and if you are avoiding using guns outside of the sniper and some emergencies, it breaks down into abilities that draw attention and people who stab them in the back.

Yeah guns really suck because you have to be so close to hit anything and you'll immediately be shot to pieces / alert the whole level.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jesus Christ the shoe drop in DDLC.

For real y'all, if you can stomach playing through about an hour and a half of a pseudo-typical VN game, it goes real Yoko Taro real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor had a "Suddenly, the dungeon collapses!" achievement for crashing the game. Early builds of Dredmor were unstable enough that I suspect most players have it, though.