Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Please relax and let the players do their things. I'd rather get asked questions than not and have a player shoot up the Thunderbolt and free all the Clanners to go all Grand Melee because they were too afraid to ask if they missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please relax and let the players do their things. I'd rather get asked questions than not and have a player shoot up the Thunderbolt and free all the Clanners to go all Grand Melee because they were too afraid to ask if they missed something.
Sorry, Jade Star has repeatedly been really stupid and I am having a terrible day so I wanted to poo poo on him.

edit: I'll cut it out, though

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 3, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Sentinel

Grandpa Grier won't walk into an ambush, but that doesn't mean his posse won't. The Hunchback is most likely going to end next turn in 1613, which gives the Roughnecks and me time to reach 0618, 0519, and 2618 to meet him with long-range fire when he gets there.

Quickdraw

I like this plan. Roughnecks firing from 0618/0519, Sentinel from 2618. Roughnecks would need to watch out though for that forest hex in 1315. Does that count as Heavy Woods?

Either the Von Rohrs or the Charger can plan to move to 2518 the same turn the Hunchback moves to 1613 - that's 9 hexes away and would keep the ACs at long range. At least that's another long range weapon trained on that guy. You guys would just need to plan your movements so that you reach 2518 and 2618 at a run to maximize the Hunchie's to hit numbers.

Another thing to consider is that the Timber Wolf can reach 1713 next turn and then 2317 the turn after. The Bandersnatch and Centurion may want to move in that direction to support the rest of Goonsquad in that area.

The scouts may want to pull back a little towards the main road, but be close enough to get behind the Hunchback if it moves towards 2618 after reaching 1613. I'm actually thinking of holding position this turn as I can get to 1613 from where I currently am at a full run and fire on the Hunchie from behind if it does head that way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sorry, Jade Star has repeatedly been really stupid and I am having a terrible day so I wanted to poo poo on him.

Clearly the problem is that PTN's Battletech isn't enough like XCOM for Jade to process. If only there were a Battletech game that was just XCOM, but with robots. :iamafag:

(My apologies to anybody here who hasn't read the Harebrained Schemes Battletech thread and thus lacks context for the joke.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zaodai posted:

If only there were a Battletech game that was just XCOM, but with robots.

:golfclap:

well played

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Welp, congrats for what's going to happen then.

To add, besides asking 'is this 1v1, 2v2, or All v 2, what have i done that's stupid? Plan two effective ambushes? Nearly headcap a firefly? Move with the team in a coordinated fashion and help bring down 5 mechs?

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

edit: I'll cut it out, though

this is the worst fuckin' apology. either say you're sorry or not, but trying to get one last jab in at the same time is mediocre. stop being a child regardless of how good or bad someone else's posting is

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psion posted:

this is the worst fuckin' apology. either say you're sorry or not, but trying to get one last jab in at the same time is mediocre. stop being a child regardless of how good or bad someone else's posting is
Hey, I was trying to be nice the first time I posted when he asked a question where the answer was a few posts back, then he decided to be a dick anyway. Feel free to be mad at me and call me names but dont look the other way when I didnt start it.

I really dont want to poo poo this thread up anymore than I have so I'm going to go back to just reading it unless I have something meaningful to add. If you want to bitch at me feel free to find me on Discord.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hey, I was trying to be nice the first time I posted when he asked a question where the answer was a few posts back, then he decided to be a dick anyway. Feel free to be mad at me and call me names but dont look the other way when I didnt start it.

I really dont want to poo poo this thread up anymore than I have so I'm going to go back to just reading it unless I have something meaningful to add. If you want to bitch at me feel free to find me on Discord.

I'm not mad at you, I want you to take responsibility for your actions. "He started it" and "I'm sorry but it's actually his fault" aren't. We both know you can do better.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Artificer posted:

The Curse of Luthien strikes again!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Can't we all just be sanguine about this

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

Can't we all just be sanguine about this

If this keeps up, PTN will be forced to 'Turtle Bay' Luthien to pacify the thread.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

shut the gently caress up nerds, i'm tryna watch goonlancecompany pwn some horsefuckers

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
One of these years I'm going to bite the bullet and do a Battalion vs. Battalion fight.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of these years I'm going to bite the bullet and do a Battalion vs. Battalion fight.

gently caress that poo poo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm down for it if the map is appropriately loving huge. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sweet jesus, how much free time do you have that would be an option?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh god

That'd take a whole year to run

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Xarbala posted:

Oh god

That'd take a whole year to run

Have a bunch of goons managing a regiment each? There's bound to be rules about it... somewhere.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I would like to register my desire for a jumpy pulseboat with lots of conveniently spaced heavy woods to jump into during said fight.

E: Yes, I'm that guy. But really anything would be awesome. PTN always picks interesting mechs.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 4, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Olothreutes posted:

I would like to register my desire for a jumpy pulseboat with lots of conveniently spaced heavy woods to jump into during said fight.

I'm officially declaring anyone using a jumpy pulseboat in this fight is KOS to everyone on both sides.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm officially declaring anyone using a jumpy pulseboat in this fight is KOS to everyone on both sides.

Haha GOOD LUCK they're behind 8 jump jets!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

i'd like the offmap artillery :getin:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Orders in, headed to 1922.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Haha GOOD LUCK they're behind 8 jump jets!

71 players with an average of four weapons a piece are enough to kill anything even if they're firing on 11s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Instead of that just give them an 8 pilot and enforce the FJ rule. The dice will solve the problem in short order.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Instead of that just give them an 8 pilot and enforce the FJ rule. The dice will solve the problem in short order.

I love that there's a Fraction Jackson rule. Oh, to be so annoying that they have to legislate away your strategy.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Olothreutes posted:

I love that there's a Fraction Jackson rule. Oh, to be so annoying that they have to legislate away your strategy.

I'm guessing this is because the dear mathematical character is fond of flying? Please do elaborate.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Teledahn posted:

I'm guessing this is because the dear mathematical character is fond of flying? Please do elaborate.

He was a giant douche with jumpy pulse boats and heavy woods so the optional rule to require a piloting roll to jump into heavy woods gets called the FJ rule.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Teledahn posted:

Jumping 5 hexes (or more) into heavy woods gives your opponent a +5 to hit you, where it's only a +3 to your shots. It's very advantageous for the jumper because that +5 is basically untouchable. Combined with an average gunnery of 4, and a range modifier of 2, and a running mod of 2 your opponent is attacking on 13s, making you unhittable. Meanwhile pulse lasers have a -2 bonus, so the jumper is at 4+3-2+2+2=9s to hit. Any interceding light woods just make this even worse.

By adding a piloting skill roll for jumping into heavy woods they hoped to discourage such behavior. FJ was a particular fan of this tactic, so the rule is informally the "fraction Jackson rule."

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Takes me back to jumping between smoke and/or shallow water, light trees and defilade with the Phoenix Hawk, managed a lot of 11s and a couple of 13s and got away with just some armor damage in a bruising mission.

The PH would be fabulous with just 1 more jump jet... it'd reach a +4 jump modifier at 7 hexes.

And this is why the Screamer is so psychotic. With 11 jump it has so much terrain to select from it can almost always get both a +1 to-hit from its terrain and an optimal firing position, and can manage a +2 if it's lucky or willing to sacrifice some hit-chance.
Plus of course, landing behind people becomes a cinch with ACE.

For more bullshittery you need a targeting computer and pulse lasers, or at least a headcapper to make up for that eternal +3 to-hit.
And nimble jumper, of course. Can't have having to keep switching targets.
- Alternatively, having Screamers working together in pairs would help mitigate the issue, they could swap targets back and forth.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 4, 2017

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
Well, I think it's about time I signed up to be a pilot, assuming theres openings down the line.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

Takes me back to jumping between smoke and/or shallow water, light trees and defilade with the Phoenix Hawk, managed a lot of 11s and a couple of 13s and got away with just some armor damage in a bruising mission.

The PH would be fabulous with just 1 more jump jet... it'd reach a +4 jump modifier at 7 hexes.

And this is why the Screamer is so psychotic. With 11 jump it has so much terrain to select from it can almost always get both a +1 to-hit from its terrain and an optimal firing position, and can manage a +2 if it's lucky or willing to sacrifice some hit-chance.
Plus of course, landing behind people becomes a cinch with ACE.

For more bullshittery you need a targeting computer and pulse lasers, or at least a headcapper to make up for that eternal +3 to-hit.
And nimble jumper, of course. Can't have having to keep switching targets.
- Alternatively, having Screamers working together in pairs would help mitigate the issue, they could swap targets back and forth.

There's a reason why the only official 10 jumpers are mostly ewar packages on legs. And there are no 11 jumpers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 4, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Probably for the best there aren't any knife-fighting 10s, even at the cost of variety.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 4, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

Probably for the best there aren't any knife-fighting 10s, even at the cost of variety.

There's one with a sword and some small lasers. The thing is that instead of being medium mechs like the Screamer they're 30 tons and 8/12/10 leaving very little room for weapons. I guess 2x MPL on a Spider might count as "knife fighting"

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 4, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

chktshadeclaw posted:

Well, I think it's about time I signed up to be a pilot, assuming theres openings down the line.

I signed up I think in the middle of the last mission and was pulled in for this one, so the list of newcomers (who get priority piloting) should be pretty short

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

He was a giant douche with jumpy pulse boats and heavy woods so the optional rule to require a piloting roll to jump into heavy woods gets called the FJ rule.

Hahahhahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Hitman/Mongoose

Gonna pull my lights back towards the main road for now. Also start trying to position them where the fighting is bound to happen. Putting the Mongoose in 0820 for now.

• Locked thread