Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zemyla posted:

did the chart maker mean anything?

My money is on "No"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Posted by zoux in the NBA thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bobby Digital posted:

If it was home team/visiting team it would be somewhat more interesting. These axes are a joke, however.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
aren't you interested to see that the winning team won 100% of the games it won?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not a single case of the team with fewer points winning in a walkover? For shame.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
There is a strong correlation between having more points than the other team and winning, but the chart alone is not enough to establish a causality link.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Bobby Digital posted:

Scorigami isn't as fun in basketball, but I still appreciate the effort.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's supposed to be a graph of the distribution of final scores for games, but it's lacking in that it needs some sort of heatmap or z axis to show commonality of particular score pairings where it turns into an amorphous blob.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that or very small semi-transparent dots jittered within their boxes.

Red and the blue are unnecessary/distracting, too. It's not awful, though, it's just not very good. It shows the outliers at least.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zemyla posted:

Question is, did the chart maker mean anything by having a star of David surrounded by four swastikas?

Paul Laffoley is was (I didn't realized he died recently) a great artist, not a hateful person, and 100% sincere. It's probably significant that those swastikas aren't the reversed Nazi swastikas, though.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

pangstrom posted:

Red and the blue are unnecessary/distracting, too.

e: there's honestly nothing wrong with that chart at all. I think the people objecting to it may be expecting it to do something other than what it claims to do, which is represent every final SCORE (not game) achieved in the NBA. See also, as mentioned above, Scorigami

Occultatio has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Nov 4, 2017

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I think the problem with a bad graph thread is you can post an okay graph and a bunch of people will race to come up with reasons why it's actually a bad graph because it must be bad if it's in the bad graph thread

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
All graphs are bad, cos of original sin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strudel Man posted:

That's tangential to the discussion.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

this is the kind of mod sass I can get behind

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Someone made a better one.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes this is better, but the first one wasn't terrible.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What the gently caress happened in that one 1983 game? How do two teams score more than 350 points combined? :psyduck:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The second one is just hiding the unfeasible area. In that graph the winning team having 25 points implies maximum margin of victory of 25, so there's a lot of impossible white space on that graph too. Still more useful overall though.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mikl posted:

What the gently caress happened in that one 1983 game? How do two teams score more than 350 points combined? :psyduck:

Triple overtime between two of the three highest-scoring teams that season

http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/highest-scoring-game-ever

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Highest scoring ever? Nope! Watch this, even if you aren't into sportsball at all

https://youtu.be/T4afzQyGo5Q

E: and if you're not used to the style, just give it a couple minutes to get past the opening clips, they like to be a bit artsy

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Nov 6, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Pretty Good is a pretty good show yeah, there's a bunch of great episodes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mikl posted:

“I can answer this. I do basketball analytics, and I also know quite a bit about the game just from a personal interest stance.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mikl posted:

Triple overtime during an era where everyone played at an insane pace and Doug Moe’s Nuggets played at the fastest of them all

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fathis Munk posted:

Pretty Good is a pretty good show yeah, there's a bunch of great episodes.
And Chart Party, also done by Jon Bois, is pretty good with charts and graphs.

Here's a history of the Three Point Shot in the NBA, with lots of charts and graphs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhB1vPM8ItA

Here's a college football game that went 222-0 because somebody pissed off John Heisman. There are charts involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

And of course, there's 17776. Charts, maps, alternate future that isn't really explained, it's good stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“This is probably going to sound stupid, but what if Barry Bond had played without a bat?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

“This is probably going to sound stupid, but what if Barry Bond had played without a bat?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

This is amazing in every way, even in the bad nerdy ways.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Jon Bois is a national treasure imo.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Stealing this from a friend's facebook wall, he was grading papers when he found this innovative graph. It shows the ratio of root/plant weight (in g :v:) depending on wether the plant underwent a low density treatment (BD) or high density treatment (HD).

The bars on the left show the mean. The bars on the right show the standard deviation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fathis Munk posted:

Stealing this from a friend's facebook wall, he was grading papers when he found this innovative graph. It shows the ratio of root/plant weight (in g :v:) depending on wether the plant underwent a low density treatment (BD) or high density treatment (HD).

The bars on the left show the mean. The bars on the right show the standard deviation.

This is classic box and whiskers material, right?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Or at least a bar graph with the standard deviation presented on the corresponding bars, so as to represent the variation of the sample.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not great, but control charts often include a chart of the deviations because even though it's encoded in stuff like control limits or error bars, sometimes seeing a deviation in graphical form next to process values can give some extra oomph to your ahas.

Makes more sense for control charting than a couple individual statistics. But that kids got a future in management.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Life.jpg

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I love the sharp declines then increases on doing nothing and crying for no reason.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just :lol: if you weren't born munching on pizza from day 1.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gorelab posted:

Seen on MMOChampion:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I didn’t notice the tiny drop in Classic subs after launch.

They really are that delusional. “Everyone who’ll play will be a hardcore raider just like me!”

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

Just :lol: if you weren't born munching on pizza from day 1.

I hated pizza and cried like a baby when we had it for dinner even though I was old enough to know better. Then the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came along and made pizza cool, and I couldn't get enough of it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tfw your parents made pizza on the day a new tmnt episode came on :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

tfw your parents made pizza on the day a new tmnt episode came on :3: