Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Seriously. It’s been 4 hours now and I have no cell service. loving att

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don’t have a 4K tv nor anything that does HDR... until now... what’s the simplest way for me to experience some HDR goodness?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

I don’t have a 4K tv nor anything that does HDR... until now... what’s the simplest way for me to experience some HDR goodness?

Netflix. Supported videos will have a marker next to the title.

Edit: Oh! I forgot the important thing, you need to be on their Premium tier that allows access to 4K and HDR content. Sorry!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Half Life 2: The Lost Coast

e: Oh, something you can play on your new phone? Umm...yeah, 4K Netflix I guess?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 4, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I would say that I’ve annoyed my wife with the Animojis but she thinks they are are hilarious and can’t stop laughing at them.
IPX review: device is pretty awesome, still getting used to the loss of the home button but I think the new navigation adaptations are pretty great along with that sweet, sweet OLED screen.
It’s so much easier to pocket than my old 7+ it kind of feels like I forgot my phone.

PS
Saddle Brown supremacy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Feenix posted:

Do you have any digital iTunes movies? Or Vudu, Amazon, or the other Movies Anywhere participants?

Apple will give you free upgrade* to 4k/HDR if it was bought through them or linked to Movies Anywhere.

Even if you don't have active purchases yet I think you can still link all your accounts together and get 4 free movies which includes 4K HDR versions of Lego Movie and the newest Bourne.

*If the movie has a 4K version on iTunes. Annoyingly Disney/Marvel/Star Wars are the big holdouts for offering 4K on iTunes.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can I only send Animojis through iMessage or do they go through sms too

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i feel like reminding you that the phone cant display 4k or even 1/2 of 4k would be lost on you people

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pivo posted:

i feel like reminding you that the phone cant display 4k or even 1/2 of 4k would be lost on you people

And? HDR is usually locked away on 4K content.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mine has got to be at least 16K. Looks soooo good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

beergod posted:

Can I only send Animojis through iMessage or do they go through sms too

They will send as a video MMS to green people.

I got this charger and it seems fine. My house hasn't burnt down, so that's good. Micro-USB though it doesn't come with a charging brick. Don't care about the latter, since I just wanted to plug it into my Anker multi-charger thing and it's working great.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

And? HDR is usually locked away on 4K content.

i did not say anything about HDR

8, 8+, X, and Apple TV supports HDR content from Netflix

you're right that Netflix needs you to subscribe to the 4K tier to get access to HDR content
but there have been people ITT who think their iPhone X can display 4K content
it's seriously disingenuous ! maybe i'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat. it's fine. there certainly have been goonier goons. at least i'm trying to spread truth.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Endless Mike posted:

They will send as a video MMS to green people.

I got this charger and it seems fine. My house hasn't burnt down, so that's good. Micro-USB though it doesn't come with a charging brick. Don't care about the latter, since I just wanted to plug it into my Anker multi-charger thing and it's working great.

It just says it can’t send the text. Is this a setting somewhere?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

Get over it bro. We’re not even talking about that.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

There is HDR, and then there is Planet Earth 2 HDR. The first will make you think "eh, this looks better" and the second will make you think you've never actually seen decent color on a display before.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Blue Planet 2 is supposed to get a UHD HDR release too, if you can get it through iPlayer (because you live in the UK) see if the stream is HDR, I haven't actually been able to find a good answer to that question.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Do Apple Stores have warranty stock for the X yet? I’ve got a hot pixel dead center on my screen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zero One posted:

Do you have any digital iTunes movies? Or Vudu, Amazon, or the other Movies Anywhere participants?

Apple will give you free upgrade* to 4k/HDR if it was bought through them or linked to Movies Anywhere.

Even if you don't have active purchases yet I think you can still link all your accounts together and get 4 free movies which includes 4K HDR versions of Lego Movie and the newest Bourne.

*If the movie has a 4K version on iTunes. Annoyingly Disney/Marvel/Star Wars are the big holdouts for offering 4K on iTunes.

Did this, chose Lego movie. Any way to tell if it’s in 4K? Or any way in Movies Anywhere to set your resolution preferences and whatnot?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

Did this, chose Lego movie. Any way to tell if it’s in 4K? Or any way in Movies Anywhere to set your resolution preferences and whatnot?

The info page says 4K.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Endless Mike posted:

The info page says 4K.

Yeah it's pretty automatic. The TV> iTunes Video menu in settings has some options for quality and HDR but mostly Apple will stream the best quality your isp can handle. But you need the Apple TV 4K (and a 4K TV) to get 4K/HDR instead of HD/HDR on the X.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stutes posted:

Do Apple Stores have warranty stock for the X yet? I’ve got a hot pixel dead center on my screen.

They have 7.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stutes posted:

Apparently the super limited stock rumors were kinda unfounded, so you might be able to find one if you call around tomorrow. If not then, probably within a week.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On games (or just in general) is there a way to get rid of the... grip bar or whatever you call it? I understand where to grab from for home button functions , I don’t need the annoying visual cue.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Dogen posted:

On games (or just in general) is there a way to get rid of the... grip bar or whatever you call it? I understand where to grab from for home button functions , I don’t need the annoying visual cue.

It should disappear on its own in full screen apps like games or movies. It might just take a bit for everyone to update for the new screen stuff in iOS 11.

edit: in other cases you’ll be stuck with it

dc3k fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 4, 2017

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Seriously. It’s been 4 hours now and I have no cell service. loving att

I wish you luck this night friend, I only got it going half an hour ago from loving att.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Feenix posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the iPhone X has a full 4K display.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Nobody can truly be sure of how many k’s the screen has

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What’s a pixel?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dogen posted:

What’s a pixel?

It’s that little thing that made Peter Pan fly

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The iPhone X is 4K. The X actually stands for 4,000.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm absolutely stoked with this phone so far and I think my one and only complaint is that photos and videos aren't as immersive in landscape compared to the plus. But hell if I'd ever go back to a plus just for that.

Oh, and there's noticeably more ghosting in text if you scroll fast (especially the big bold text in News app) compared to LCD iPhones. Not a huge deal, though.

Edit: this seems to only be a thing with pure black text on a light/white background.

Also looking forward to iOS 11.X where they add a "Hide Home Bar Indicator" toggle in Accessibility.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 4, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

maybe i'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat.

🤔

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
After playing around with the X for a bit in store I gotta say the fast app switching with the home bar is more of a draw to me than the camera or the design or whatever else there is. It's so buttery smooth!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Nobody can truly be sure of how many k’s the screen has

hopefully not 3

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pivo posted:

maybe i'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat.

It’s this.

That said this ongoing hissy fit is hilarious so feel free to keep at it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Yo I'm loving this super AMOLED screen

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

After a day of use I must conclude that the phone is good

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
No one really lamenting the loss of TouchID. Is it not really missed and this concern was overblown? Not a big difference when getting phone out of pocket or while sitting on the table flat?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It works better than I thought it would. I did have some trouble when setting it up yesterday at my desk so we will see if the laying flat thing might be a problem, but overall I’ve been impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It works great so far, I barely even notice it unlocking