Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anything besides RAPE in the TV world? I don't really give a gently caress anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's that Counterpart show coming out with JK Simmons

And Tika Waititi is working on a What We Do in the Shadow TV series

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

There's that Counterpart show coming out with JK Simmons

And Tika Waititi is working on a What We Do in the Shadow TV series

Both of those things excite me like a dog with two dicks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think I can watch this Bitcoin episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Did Paula Malcomson move to the UK? She was in the new Jimmy McGovern with Sean Bean, and is going to be opposite Christopher Eccelston in another kitchen sink drama later this year.

But mostly I came here to post that she's going to be a regular on Syfy's Krypton next year, along with a bunch of other Brits. Oh, and Blake Ritson (the hot dude with the creepy whisper voice from Da Vinci's Demons) is going to be playing Brainiac.

In other news, Zahn McClaron (Hanzee from the second season of Fargo) has been hospitalised after taking a fall at his own home. : (

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Both of those things excite me like a dog with two dicks.

Is that good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think I can watch this Bitcoin episode.

Mr. Robot? It's good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of the PCHer gang members (Felix) from Veronica Mars killed himself by jumping off a building. He was the guy that joked about O-Town CDs I think. What's going on in Hollywood.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/11/03/veronica-mars-actor-brad-bufanda-commits-suicide-34/830806001/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chop Sunni posted:

Is that good?

If you could quantify it, it'd be part of the metric system.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That is a lot of money for the middle earth rights. Upto 250m just for the rights, add in another 100m per season at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Mr. Robot? It's good.

No, the good wife. It's basically just a bitcoin ad disguised as a legal battle over its status as cryptocurrency.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just saw something on Reddit that said Lily Allen turned down 200K in Bitcoin in 2009 for a concert.

""About 5 years ago someone asked me to stream a gig live on second life for hundreds of thousNds of bitcoins, "as if" I said. ""

HA!

She'd be spelling million with a B

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why, what's a mbllion?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I just saw something on Reddit that said Lily Allen turned down 200K in Bitcoin in 2009 for a concert.

""About 5 years ago someone asked me to stream a gig live on second life for hundreds of thousNds of bitcoins, "as if" I said. ""

HA!

She'd be spelling million with a B

Knowing Bitcoin people it was probably a scam of some kind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly. The only people praising bitcoin are the people who have something to gain if you buy into bitcoin.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's only one way a bubble can end, it's just a game of chicken now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why, what's a mbllion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Bg4UU76so&t=24s

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bruceski posted:

There's only one way a bubble can end, it's just a game of chicken now.
Or... bitcoin will continue to rise/not implode and gently caress we shoulda bought in a year ago, we'd be up 10x.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also a chance that Twitter will become profitable in the next 10 years but I doubt it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

There's also a chance that Twitter will become profitable in the next 10 years but I doubt it
They actually have been profitable for a while (I was surprised too) but it's only in the last year that their profits have been anything decent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly. The only people praising bitcoin are the people who have something to gain if you buy into bitcoin.

A friend of mine who is deeply into that kind of thing is telling me about this new currency he's mining, but I can't remember what it's called atm.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

A friend of mine who is deeply into that kind of thing is telling me about this new currency he's mining, but I can't remember what it's called atm.

Ethereum most likely.

I have friends deep into mining, but I still kind of why it to collapse because graphics cards are too drat expensive because of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Medullah posted:

Ethereum most likely.

I have friends deep into mining, but I still kind of why it to collapse because graphics cards are too drat expensive because of it.

Last Games Done Quick charity marathon one of the raffle prizes really confused folks. It was a PC with bleeding-edge processor, enough RAM to choke a horse, and a middle-end video card. Not BAD but the definite bottleneck in that system. Turns out the better video cards were literally not in stock at all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember when BitCoin sponsored the St. Petersburg Bowl for one year.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

I remember when BitCoin sponsored the St. Petersburg Bowl for one year.

Those amazing bitpay commercials where credit card fees are equal to mob extortion.

"Credit cards weren't made for the internet!"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

They actually have been profitable for a while (I was surprised too) but it's only in the last year that their profits have been anything decent.

Twitter has never turned a profit in its existence. It's possible next financial quarter they may turn a profit for the first time, but that remains to be seen

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

How exactly is twitter supposed to make money, anyway? I don't really use twitter, or care about it for the most part, but I've never seen like, ads on it or anything so I'm not really sure how they make money.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

raditts posted:

How exactly is twitter supposed to make money, anyway? I don't really use twitter, or care about it for the most part, but I've never seen like, ads on it or anything so I'm not really sure how they make money.

Twitter isn't really sure about that either :v:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

You are putting more thought into this situation than the people in charge of Twitter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The the underwear gnomes business plan.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

Apparently they sell sponsored tweets which appear in your feed, though I never see them

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

promoted tweets, promoted hashtags, selling data, ads

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Apparently they sell sponsored tweets which appear in your feed, though I never see them

I use twitteriffic on my phone and literally never see sponsored anything.

Twitter is Real Bad at this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They made a half-hearted effort to phase out third party apps a few years ago. There was talk that they'd stop letting those apps use their API or something. Obviously that fell apart.

It probably would have done good things for them, though. Facebook wouldn't make half as much if people could avoid ads featured in its apps.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

raditts posted:

I see paid "promoted" tweets in the Twitter app every time I use it. It's usually near the top of the page.

They are also trying to get into video. Like they were competing with Amazon or something for football/whatever streaming rights.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Many newspapers don't turn a profit, they run at a loss because they allow their wealthy owners to spread their ideologies and viewpoints. Not everything has a monetary bottom line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like if the only way to watch NFL football was via Twitter it would cause an endless amount of hilarity.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The plan is for someone to buy them out and then profitability will be their problem.

That's also why they're slow on the whole "Nazis and bots everywhere" problem. They need a high user count.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The plan is for someone to buy them out and then profitability will be their problem.

That's also why they're slow on the whole "Nazis and bots everywhere" problem. They need a high user count.
Their platform is the primary communication method of the President of the United States and his Nazi bot followers. They ain't selling poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah the whole Russian bot thing has kinda tanked them and now they're flailing around trying to make themselves look presentable but not actually alienating the horrible fascists. Plus there's the whole Silicon Valley "it's free exchange of ideas, man" bullshit

• Locked thread