Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I see 1password 7 for iOS has some IAP poo poo, If I still have my own vault and sync it (not using their family cloud thing) is upgrading to 7 going to not work / nag me?

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

agreed -- it's pretty loving dumb for just this reason

It's already seen as an official mouthpiece of whatever the account is. Remember when AP News tweeted there was an attack and POTUS Obama was injured and it blipped the stock market? That kind of stuff is going to be hard to unwind at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

that's what i assume happened, because the alternative is that people have arbitrary access to delete tweets

twitter employees most definitely have direct access to tweets, why wouldnt they? twitter management obviously doesnt give a poo poo about anything except ad dollars & VC cash

and yeah if it was in response to a report, someone woulda thrown an anonymized "thx for your report, we banned him" response out by now cause you know more than one person reported him

more likely you get banned from twitter if you keep reporting trump tweets for inciting violence or something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

twitter employees most definitely have direct access to tweets, why wouldnt they? twitter management obviously doesnt give a poo poo about anything except ad dollars & VC cash

and yeah if it was in response to a report, someone woulda thrown an anonymized "thx for your report, we banned him" response out by now cause you know more than one person reported him

more likely you get banned from twitter if you keep reporting trump tweets for inciting violence or something
yeah you're right, his account also didn't show that "this user is suspended" message you'd normally get

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
there's no way anybody is reviewing the probably insane amount of reported @donald tweets, no loving way. watson couldn't even do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why would they need to review them? there is absolutely nothing donald trump could tweet that would result in suspending his account

he is literally the highest profile user of the entire platform and also the potus. twitter ain't never gonna enforce a tos violation against his accounts

iirc they even left themselves an out by refusing to censor things considered "newsworthy". the the president says it, it's newsworthy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ugh its all hosed up and the world is going to become more hosed up because of greedy idiots and bullshit assfuckaghrsfxv

sorry but seriously

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
serious question: do you think the potus account has 2fa enabled?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

serious question: do you think the potus account has 2fa enabled?

well hes logged in already on his lovely android, and thats probably the extent of thought that security has been given

unless idk ivanka or kushner or someone forced him i dont think so

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this prob goes in here
https://twitter.com/dnlongen/status/926255160195678215

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/supersat/status/926257575267618817

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spoiler: it's opendns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

maskenfreiheit posted:

what if someone reported one of trumps warmonger tweets for advocating violence and the twitter person was just like "yeah, that checks out - BAN"

this used to happen (probably still does), and eventually tweeter's official line after he said he'd nuke NoKo was that he's and elected official and too important to ban or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

i mean, the obvious solution would be to nationalize twitter. i wonder why no one's suggesting that.

in secfuck news i've never heard of this organization https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/926581336386752512

sure would be hosed up to put the us directly in charge of a massively popular global network

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you understand that if twitter were nationalized it would be unconstitutional to ban the nazis right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so at least they'd have an excuse

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how to de-anonymize tor users with seven characters

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

rjmccall posted:

you understand that if twitter were nationalized it would be unconstitutional to ban the nazis right
also that the trump administration would be in charge? yeah.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe you guys should make a distinction between free political speech and hatespeech

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powaqoatse posted:

maybe you guys should make a distinction between free political speech and hatespeech

the point is that the government can't be trusted not to abuse that by defining hatespeech as whatever they want. our constitution was written by men who had just had a revolution because of the government abusing definitions to gently caress with them, and so wrote thing to try and prevent those abuses.

can you imagine if our current government could redefine hatespeech? it wouldn't be the nazis who had a problem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

first amendment means that the only hate speech that can be prosecuted are "fighting words" in person

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the founding fathers, who all barely washed their dicks, want me to yell fire in a crowded theater

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

first amendment means that the only hate speech that can be prosecuted are "fighting words" in person

im saying maybe "fighting words" dont have to be in person

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Powaqoatse posted:

im saying maybe "fighting words" dont have to be in person

you wanna take this outside buddy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

can you imagine if our current government could redefine hatespeech? it wouldn't be the nazis who had a problem

“it seems you have two lives mr anderson... in one life you’re a mild mannered computer toucher who pays his taxes. in the other, you go by the name “maskenfreiheit” and post vile hate speech such as ‘police the police’. it is a demonstrated fact that a small number of bad apples are responsible for misconduct, the vast majority of police being faithful public servants. posts claiming otherwise incite violence and unrest against blue lives, which are a protected class under our new hate speech laws. you have been found guilty of criminal libel with a suspended sentence. under the terms of your parole you will be banned from using any forms of social media, including dead Internet forums”

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

imagine believing in the moral superiority of slavers lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rufus Ping posted:

you wanna take this outside buddy

lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
germany: a country now notably free of nazi ideology due to its comprehensive banning of the subject

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

germany: a country now notably free of nazi ideology due to its comprehensive banning of the subject

theyre definitely not at all free of nazis but nazis go to jail for being nazis so thats a plus for germany imo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if we're going to be updating constitutional amendments i can think of a much better one to start with than the 1st

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if we're going to be updating constitutional amendments i can think of a much better one to start with than the 1st

It's the Third right?

Engblom v. Carey makes me soooo fuckkin mad...

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Schadenboner posted:

It's the Third right?

Engblom v. Carey makes me soooo fuckkin mad...

i was thinking the twentieth. i mean, what's the rush?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
twitter is on record stating that trump's being president and using twitter as an official channel for government communication overrides their terms of service and they will never ban him for anything he tweets

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

twitter is on record stating that trump's being president and using twitter as an official channel for government communication overrides their terms of service and they will never ban him for anything he tweets

theyre kinda painting themselves into a corner though, you know?

threatening or attacking part A is bad form, so that leaves part B...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think it's loving great that the us president uses a social media platform which is (almost) completely outside of whitehouse control, as the premier official outlet

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

someone should file an FTC complaint that twitter claiming to have a code of conduct is a deceptive trade practice

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spankmeister posted:

I think it's loving great that the us president uses a social media platform which is (almost) completely outside of whitehouse control, as the premier official outlet

it would be better if they didnt let him delete lovely typo-tweets

not a lot of heads of state that get to just yell poo poo at 5am and then silently correct it cause they garbled some words

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

i thought any and all communications by the White House had to be preserved? so even if he deleted his tweets there will still be record of it some place?

also lol like delete on twitter doesn’t actually mean update twits set deleted=now() instead actually deleting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol do you really think they preserve anything with a russia probe going on?

every room in the white house is at all times a true copy of a back office in the tehran embassy circa 1979

• Locked thread