Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Are you asking about the WH Fantasy Battles rulebook, or the WH Fantasy Roleplay rulebook? If WHFB, 6th/7th are pretty much considered to be the most solid editions of the game. 7th is very similar to 6th, but there are some tweaks and clarifications. 6th ed is the only time all of the races had their own army books, so it's a good edition to dive into. The 7th ed rulebook is compatible with 6th army books, so feel free to pick up either rulebook. 8th isn't bad for army books either - a lot of the armies are represented, and the background and art is good. 8th ed the game itself wasn't that great though, so I'd pass on the rulebook.

If you were asking about the rulebook for WHFRP, you just missed the Humble Bundle where they offered ALL of the WHFRP 2nd ed books for like $20 USD. That was a pure goldmine for learning about the Old World. If you can get your hands on the sourcebooks, they are spectacular. Cubicle 7 is relaunching the WHFRP game, so you might want to keep an eye out for that, if you're really interested.

Oops, I could have been clearer. I was asking about the Battles rulebook, purely for lore. Someone on eBay was selling a bundle of the WHFB 8th edition rulebook with the 6th edition Dwarf and Empire army books for $30 so I bought that and am impatiently waiting for the package.

I'll definitely look into the roleplay books as well. It's too bad about the Humble Bundle, I got a lot out of the similar Pathfinder RPG deal last year. Thanks for all the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a good idea for stormcast head swaps that won't break the bank, preferably masks of some kind? I'm painting a second set of the shadespire guys and would prefer to give them some visual distinction.

40k Reivers?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a good idea for stormcast head swaps that won't break the bank, preferably masks of some kind? I'm painting a second set of the shadespire guys and would prefer to give them some visual distinction.

Sanguinary Guard death masks?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sanguinary Guard death masks?

Laugh

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

Puppetswar does great stuff, I have a bunch of their heads and they're great quality. I don't think they're very expensive.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Oops, I could have been clearer. I was asking about the Battles rulebook, purely for lore. Someone on eBay was selling a bundle of the WHFB 8th edition rulebook with the 6th edition Dwarf and Empire army books for $30 so I bought that and am impatiently waiting for the package.

I'll definitely look into the roleplay books as well. It's too bad about the Humble Bundle, I got a lot out of the similar Pathfinder RPG deal last year. Thanks for all the info!

No problem - the WFB rulebook doesn't have any fluff, but $30 is a decent price. PM me - I might have some stuff for you.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I bought some Kairic Acolytes the other day. And the Disciples of Tzeentch battle tome. Stupidly didn’t get the GHB 2017, but nicely the battle tome has the rules in the back. And some awesome cat drugs art. And cool things like the ability to sacrifice some pawns to turbocharge your spells. And now I want an Ogroid Thaumaturge and a load more Tzaangor, and I’m going to need terrain and a non 40K game mat. I guess this loving game has its claws into me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I got paid and talked to the nice Games Workshop man and now I have the Thunder and Blood set. How on earth is this the set that has a correct minimum number of Retribitor Paladins for open games? Even the Start Collecting only has the two. :confused:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Deleter posted:

So I got paid and talked to the nice Games Workshop man and now I have the Thunder and Blood set. How on earth is this the set that has a correct minimum number of Retribitor Paladins for open games? Even the Start Collecting only has the two. :confused:

I think technically you are supposed to add the 2 from the get started to the 3 from the base box. But since all your squads always want two star souls you aren't gonna do that

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Milotic posted:

I bought some Kairic Acolytes the other day. And the Disciples of Tzeentch battle tome. Stupidly didn’t get the GHB 2017, but nicely the battle tome has the rules in the back. And some awesome cat drugs art. And cool things like the ability to sacrifice some pawns to turbocharge your spells. And now I want an Ogroid Thaumaturge and a load more Tzaangor, and I’m going to need terrain and a non 40K game mat. I guess this loving game has its claws into me.

Check out Warhammer Quest Silver Tower. I bought that to expand my Tzeentch army plus got a cool game to go with it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Black_Nexus posted:

I think technically you are supposed to add the 2 from the get started to the 3 from the base box. But since all your squads always want two star souls you aren't gonna do that

Starsoul maces are super lame, as are all the other sources of free mortal wounds. All hammers, all day.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Rhaegar posted:

Check out Warhammer Quest Silver Tower. I bought that to expand my Tzeentch army plus got a cool game to go with it.

Thanks, but I don’t think it’s a compelling purchase right now - the troop choices it comes with are too small in number, and I’ll just pick up the Gaunt Summoner and Ogroid Thaumaturge separately. I’ve already got the start collecting Tzeentch Daemons boxset and some more pink horrors and Tzaangor for my 40K backlog.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So looks like I'm starting Pestilens/eventually Nurgle Mash because apparently I just hate having money.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm getting another Gorechosen set for the cards, and don't need the bloodbros minis - is anyone interested? I'm asking $15 each (retail is $27-$30) plus shipping (I'm in the US.) I'll be getting the box around November 13th, so they will ship after that date. I wrap in bubble wrap and place in a mailer, so the cost should be under $3 to ship (maybe a buck more if you buy all four.)

Skullgrinder

Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer

Exalted Deathbringer with Ruinous Axe

Slaughterpriest

Minis are obviously unpainted and on sprue. Bases are included. PM me if interested.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hey you AOS guys, enjoy your new logo - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

And also the Warqueen (a good figure) and some rattymen for Shadespire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's spectulated that this may be a new edition or something. Something that actually changes the formula.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That would be weird, since the whole point of the new system is to avoid coming out with new editions.

Unless, of course, it's a core change to the game background to have it actually make sense and be a bit more grounded.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If they release an all out Conanesque barbarian faction, I’ll be playing again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

That would be weird, since the whole point of the new system is to avoid coming out with new editions.

Unless, of course, it's a core change to the game background to have it actually make sense and be a bit more grounded.

The new generals handbook makes a bunch of nice secondary changes. But it does not alter the core rules in anyway. It's possible this may be a core rules change that is still compatible with the Generals handbook. (Since pretty much nothing there would change with a core rules change.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The new generals handbook makes a bunch of nice secondary changes. But it does not alter the core rules in anyway. It's possible this may be a core rules change that is still compatible with the Generals handbook. (Since pretty much nothing there would change with a core rules change.)

Yeah, the way AoS works the core rules, the GHB points costs and the Warscrolls themselves are all pretty compartmentalised. As long as they planned it out in advance GW could easily change one without immediately having to change the others. (Though a big enough core rules change would probably have to be followed by a changing of warscrolls to rebalance units, or a rejiggering of points costs.)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Hey you AOS guys, enjoy your new logo - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

And also the Warqueen (a good figure) and some rattymen for Shadespire.

ratties are good, booby lady is bad

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
She's probably more dressed than her male counterparts so it's not too bad, and at least she's in an action pose where you can't see her rear end from the front.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ratties are good, booby lady is bad

Normally I’d agree but she’s meant to complement this gentleman.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
She seems ok to me

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Shadin posted:

Normally I’d agree but she’s meant to complement this gentleman.

hes bad too. perhaps they should invest in some chainmail or maybe a padded jacket if theyre poor

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My dream is of an entire army of half-naked Norsca types. Preferably with them bringing back the Chaos Mammoths.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
At the end of the day, I am fine with women in skimpy, impractical outfits so long as the men are in the same, preferably with ridiculous banana hammocks or Bowie Bulges.

That's why I'm a fan of the Mantic Asterian Kalyshis.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What the hell would an 2nd Edition of AoS even look like? I highly doubt GW would change the dice mechanics as they're married to to hit/to wound and buckets of dice, mortal wounds are here to stay, and I don't trust them to change any of the weird poo poo regarding ranged attacks shooting out of melee and 3" bubbles and stuff. The most I expect is they rewrite the warscrolls to be more in line with how the Shadespire ones are presented, untangling the lore from the actual rules text, and then shuffle some deckchairs around with stuff like battalions or allegiance abilities.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Less enamoured of the chief than I am the female Stormcasts I gotta admit. If she’s heralding the release of a proper pulpy fantasy barbarian army in silly loincloths then all will be forgiven though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Deleter posted:

What the hell would an 2nd Edition of AoS even look like? I highly doubt GW would change the dice mechanics as they're married to to hit/to wound and buckets of dice, mortal wounds are here to stay, and I don't trust them to change any of the weird poo poo regarding ranged attacks shooting out of melee and 3" bubbles and stuff. The most I expect is they rewrite the warscrolls to be more in line with how the Shadespire ones are presented, untangling the lore from the actual rules text, and then shuffle some deckchairs around with stuff like battalions or allegiance abilities.

My guess is it would just be updating the rules to reflect stuff that worked in 40k8e

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

My guess is it would just be updating the rules to reflect stuff that worked in 40k8e

Yeah this is what I want. Mainly the combat mechanics and charge rules. That would do me. I’d be happy if they bought in stratagems too but I can’t see them doing that .

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Head of the warhammer studio said that each grand alliance gets a character and that the next campaign is more grimdark and set in the realm of death.

The Dark Oath are chaos worshippers who don't understand the nature of chaos and seem to be tentacle free.

They will also be filling in the AoS background so that it makes more sense and trying to make it more warhammery.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Thundercloud posted:

Head of the warhammer studio said that each grand alliance gets a character and that the next campaign is more grimdark and set in the realm of death.

The Dark Oath are chaos worshippers who don't understand the nature of chaos and seem to be tentacle free.

They will also be filling in the AoS background so that it makes more sense and trying to make it more warhammery.

Any idea on release dates for the new stuff?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Z the IVth posted:

Any idea on release dates for the new stuff?

This is the next 'season' of AoS, so the releases for next year. Codex Chaos Demons is in January, and it was confirmed that there would be a new generals handbook every year.

Thinking of things in 'seasons' appears to be the new studio way of looking at things, and campaign books to be the product to support those seasons. So the 40k campaign books got mentioned.

I just hassled them about Shadespire as I couldn't give a gently caress about AoS though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So looks like a few things are aligning for AoS. I've started my job and a path of glory campaign is starting up at a local store.

I was looking to start either Beastclaw Raiders or Blades of Khorne since they both look like two of the cheaper factions thanks to either a low model count (Raiders) or a decent amount of discounted bundles (Khorne). I like the idea of blendering my way through close combat so both armies appeal to me, but wanted to ask the thread to weigh in a little bit since i'm unfamiliar with what state the game is in right now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, mortal wounds are going to stay with us for quite some time :/

Thanks for taking the throne of "worst game mechanic" from challenges!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I feel like a unstoppable force is at least better than an unmovable object. Nothing is worse than a unit that's impossible to hurt.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I feel like a unstoppable force is at least better than an unmovable object. Nothing is worse than a unit that's impossible to hurt.

Yeah, although a part of me thinks it would be fun if there was a Dark Souls style death unit that could never killed. Like, every time it died you could redeploy it at the edge of the table. Something which took advantage of the fact that victory conditions in AoS don’t actually require wiping out the enemy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Standing there and removing miniatures without being able to do anything about it. Happens when an artillery round lands on your Space Marines or when you run a bunch of starsoul paladins into an enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The problem is that if you take mortal wounds away, the game slows right the gently caress down, because GW kept the to wound step in a game without 40k's Strength/Toughness system, or indeed any system to generate that number. This is a game where a weapon with a 4 attacks 4+/4+ statline actually only hits with one attack on average before modifiers (which, granted, are not in short supply). And that's not taking into account the rerolls and the d3 wounds and rolling to roll that most of the mortal wound powers have.

Mortal Wounds band-aid the problem by guaranteeing a big chunk of wounds are lost every turn so it looks like you're doing a lot of damage, even if you roll like poo poo and don't make much ground with regular attacks.

• Locked thread