Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I randomly got a code in my email for a limited time use to buy plex pass for life for $74.99. I went for it but other people might have gotten them too, worth checking your spam box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t get one, but my auto renew happened only a few days back so I’m not surprised.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn’t get one, but my auto renew happened only a few days back so I’m not surprised.

I was able to convert to a lifetime from yearly a few days after a renewal and they refunded the yearly during one of their sales last year. I think this thread suggested I try it and it worked.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I have a 15 tb Synology NAS that I have been using for Plex the past few weeks. I tend to do most of my streaming via the web on my pc. There's a lot of stuttering, and I have heard the Synology is not beefy enough to handle the transcoding involved for this. When I stream to my Apple TV it works really well - but I mostly use the web.

I'm considering either an Nvidia shield or an Intel i7 NUC to act as a server, attached to my NAS. I don't expect more than 1 stream to occur inside the house, and no more than 1-2 to occur outside the house at any given time.

Would the shield suit this use case? Or should I go straight for the NUC? Also, since I have a large library of Media (~ 8TB), would I need to opt for the 500gb shield, or would the Plex files (thumbnails, etc) live on the NAS?

tia

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 31, 2017

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

arbybaconator posted:

I have a 15 tb Synology NAS that I have been using for Plex the past few weeks. I tend to do most of my streaming via the web on my pc. There's a lot of stuttering, and I have heard the Synology is not beefy enough to handle the transcoding involved for this. When I stream to my Apple TV it works really well - but I mostly use the web.

I'm considering either an Nvidia shield or an Intel i7 NUC to act as a server, attached to my NAS. I don't expect more than 1 stream to occur inside the house, and no more than 1-2 to occur outside the house at any given time.

Would the shield suit this use case? Or should I go straight for the NUC? Also, since I have a large library of Media (~ 8TB), would I need to opt for the 500gb shield, or would the Plex files (thumbnails, etc) live on the NAS?

tia

I'm pretty much the same usage of plex. 1 or 2 streams outside the house. Get the 500 gig shield TV and you will be fine. Works great, does 4k if you ever need that. You won't regret it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

arbybaconator posted:

tia

Install Plex Media Player on your PC and use that first instead of the Web App to see if that remedies any buffering/stuttering issues on your PC. Go here https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ and under 'Get An App' download the Plex Media Player application. Your NAS may be chugging on remote streams because either the client devices that are accessing it remotely require transcoded content, or your internet upload speed is too slow to handle sending 8Mbps 1080p rips. What client devices are being used outside the house to access your Plex server and what's your ISP's rated upload speed? Is the content stored on your NAS all H264 encoded? Or are they like, straight up blu-ray remuxes?

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 31, 2017

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

teagone posted:

Install Plex Media Player on your PC and use that first instead of the Web App to see if that remedies any buffering/stuttering issues on your PC. Go here https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ and under 'Get An App' download the Plex Media Player application. Your NAS may be chugging on remote streams because either the client devices that are accessing it remotely require transcoded content, or your internet upload speed is too slow to handle sending 8Mbps 1080p rips. What client devices are being used outside the house to access your Plex server and what's your ISP's rated upload speed? Is the content stored on your NAS all H264 encoded? Or are they like, straight up blu-ray remuxes?

Running the Plex server on my PC I was able to handle 3 1080p H264 webstreams. I have gigabit up/down via my ISP. The PC is connected via wifi though, and my NAS is plugged directly into the router. Would like something low power and small to also connect to the router.

Most of my content is x264. Folks connecting to my server from outside would be using roku/apple tv/etc

astral
Apr 26, 2004

arbybaconator posted:

Running the Plex server on my PC I was able to handle 3 1080p H264 webstreams. I have gigabit up/down via my ISP. The PC is connected via wifi though, and my NAS is plugged directly into the router. Would like something low power and small to also connect to the router.

Most of my content is x264. Folks connecting to my server from outside would be using roku/apple tv/etc

They said Player, not Server. Player would remove the stuttering/buffering issues for local streams.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

arbybaconator posted:

Your 15TB NAS is perfectly capable of being your Plex Media Server with a gigabit connection. Install the Plex Media Player app that I mentioned (it's free) on your PC and you will have zero issues with stuttering/buffering. If playback still stutters or buffers using the Plex Media Player app on your PC, then rule out WiFi interference being the culprit and hardwire your PC to see if that makes a difference. Do NOT use the Web App on your PC. It lacks certain codecs that will potentially request your NAS to transcode. The Web App is mainly there for quick easy setup post Plex Media Server installation. Once your server is up and running, you should configure and only use the Plex Media Player app on any PCs you have that will access your NAS Plex Media Server. The only reason to use the Web App is if you're on a Chromebook or something similar that can't install the Plex Media Player application.

With gigabit up/down you should have zero issues with remote streams stuttering as content from your NAS/Plex server should always be Direct Played, or at the very least, Direct Streamed (see OP FAQ to know the difference between Direct Play and Direct Stream). If full video/audio transcoding happens on your NAS, it's likely something is configured wrong on the client side Plex application. Any remote Roku devices should be able to Direct Play content from your server so long as the audio streams in your content aren't DTS-HD or TrueHD/Atmos. Apple TVs will request any files from your Plex server that contain a DTS audio track to be transcoded to Dolby AC3 or AAC, but that shouldn't be too much for your NAS to handle; NAS boxes running Plex Media Server tend to choke when video transcoding is involved, but since you have gigabit upload speed, video streams should be served up natively/untouched without the need for any transcoding.

Basically, you don't need a Shield or i7 NUC. The hardware/setup you have is perfectly fine. You just need to properly configure your client devices to Direct Play/Stream content from your server.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2017

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

astral posted:

They said Player, not Server. Player would remove the stuttering/buffering issues for local streams.

I misread!

teagone posted:

Your 15TB NAS is perfectly capable of being your Plex Media Server with a gigabit connection. Install the Plex Media Player app that I mentioned (it's free) on your PC and you will have zero issues with stuttering/buffering. If playback still stutters or buffers using the Plex Media Player app on your PC, then rule out WiFi interference being the culprit and hardwire your PC to see if that makes a difference. Do NOT use the Web App on your PC. It lacks certain codecs that will potentially request your NAS to transcode. The Web App is mainly there for quick easy setup post Plex Media Server installation. Once your server is up and running, you should configure and only use the Plex Media Player app on any PCs you have that will access your NAS Plex Media Server. The only reason to use the Web App is if you're on a Chromebook or something similar that can't install the Plex Media Player application.

With gigabit up/down you should have zero issues with remote streams stuttering as content from your NAS/Plex server should always be Direct Played, or at the very least, Direct Streamed (see OP FAQ to know the difference between Direct Play and Direct Stream). If full video/audio transcoding happens on your NAS, it's likely something is configured wrong on the client side Plex application. Any remote Roku devices should be able to Direct Play content from your server so long as the audio streams in your content aren't DTS-HD or TrueHD/Atmos. Apple TVs will request any files from your Plex server that contain a DTS audio track to be transcoded to Dolby AC3 or AAC, but that shouldn't be too much for your NAS to handle; NAS boxes running Plex Media Server tend to choke when video transcoding is involved, but since you have gigabit upload speed, video streams should be served up natively/untouched without the need for any transcoding.

Basically, you don't need a Shield or i7 NUC. The hardware/setup you have is perfectly fine. You just need to properly configure your client devices to Direct Play/Stream content from your server.

This is great! Thanks!

Will test this setup for a few days. Really appreciate the response.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Note for transcoding chat: if you have to do subtitles, some apps will force these to be transcoded and you'll buffer again. My TV is this was for instance.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

Note for transcoding chat: if you have to do subtitles, some apps will force these to be transcoded and you'll buffer again. My TV is this was for instance.

Also depends on the subtitle format. PCs running Plex Media Player require no transcoding for subtitles. Rokus and Apple TV support SRT subtitle formats and can display them natively, but PGS and rear end subtitles will likely require a video transcode/burn-in.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm still having the problem I posted about awhile ago , i don't have search features so it's easier to just ask for advice again

I run plex media server on my desktop and stream it to my Apple TV , the older gen atv where you have to do all that custom certificate trash etc to get it to show up

Pc is linked to the atv via power over Ethernet adaptor , running 500mbps

Anyways it all works great , the only I ever encounter and it is a consistent problem

when I play anything be it movie or tv show it loads fine and somewhere between 10-15 minutes into the stream it stops and goes into buffering

Never fails , everytime

These are direct streams with no transcoding , I've checked the plex log and nothing shows up to indicate any issues

The little buffering circle comes up and it just sits , I've left it for minutes and almost an hour or never budges2

If I back out completely to the atv main menu and restart the stream where I left off it resumes instantly and plays the rest of the stream to the end with no more problems

Like i said this happens with every single thing I play , and is repeatable every time , I could probably put a stop watch to it happening

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm still having the problem I posted about awhile ago , i don't have search features so it's easier to just ask for advice again

I run plex media server on my desktop and stream it to my Apple TV , the older gen atv where you have to do all that custom certificate trash etc to get it to show up

Anyways it all works great , the only I ever encounter and it is a consistent problem

when I play anything be it movie or tv show it loads fine and somewhere between 10-15 minutes into the stream it stops and goes into buffering

Never fails , everytime

These are direct streams with no transcoding , I've checked the plex log and nothing shows up to indicate any issues

The little buffering circle comes up and it just sits , I've left it for minutes and almost an hour or never budges2

If I back out completely to the atv main menu and restart the stream where I left off it resumes instantly and plays the rest of the stream to the end with no more problems

Like i said this happens with every single thing I play , and is repeatable every time , I could probably put a stop watch to it happening

It'll be hard to get support for an unofficially supported device like that. Is that the Apple TV where you run Plex through like the movie trailers channel? I'm assuming it's something to do with the implementation of the app. Honestly, if it's really bothersome or annoying, I'd just work around the issue by getting an officially supported device like a Roku Stick for $40, or if you're partial to Apple devices, the $150 Apple TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I used to have the same setup, and while it was great at the time getting the officially supported box just made life so much easier. It sounds like something is going to sleep, hence the time out and works the second you send a new instruction, but I’m not entirely sure the best way of tracing/resolving that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blue On Blue posted:

I don't have the solution to your plex problem, but you don't need search to view a single user's post history in a thread, just click the question mark underneath a post by the user whose history you want to view. (i.e. your own in this thread)
Then you can click the hashtag when you find a post part of the conversation you're looking for to go to it in the thread with a normal view instead of only your own posts, if you think the answer is somewhere in there or don't want to rewrite your explanation when the old one would suffice.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hmm true. It's annoying but not sure it's $150 annoying

Thanks

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally decided to get off my rear end and add Plex to my reverse proxy setup so that it can be accessed from networks with dumb security protocols (i.e. that block outbound traffic to ports that aren't 80/443 among few others). Used this Apache config and so far it seems to be working, though plexpy might be a bit paranoid about claiming it's down.

Looks like I've got some more work to do. I can make it work (i.e. streams just fine) but Plex apps on other devices complain that they can only get an indirect connection.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 4, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

Never fails , everytime

I don't really have a solution to your problem, however it sounds exactly like the one I was having (except I wasn't using an ATV as a client) and it eventually resolved itself. :shrug: I thought it was something the devs fixed in a future version, but then again I didn't expect to hear about someone like you experiencing it again. It may be network-related, as I have a funky-rear end LAN in my house and I've had all sorts of problems including but not limited to with Plex. I'd suggest trying a different network configuration, and/or other clients to help troubleshoot it; for example, figure out if you have the same issue with other clients (Android, Windows, Web, etc.) or if it's just the ATV. Temporarily hook up the server & client together on an Ethernet hub to see if that does anything (I'm interpreting your "PoE adapter" to mean powerline networking.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For some reason my library stopped auto scanning despite the settings being at 15 minutes. Known bug in latest version?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TraderStav posted:

For some reason my library stopped auto scanning despite the settings being at 15 minutes. Known bug in latest version?

I've had that happen (along with the DVR just being like "gently caress your recording schedule) and a restarting the server process fixed it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheScott2K posted:

I've had that happen (along with the DVR just being like "gently caress your recording schedule) and a restarting the server process fixed it.

Thanks. Not sure why restarting it didn't occur to me! Derp

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Thanks. Not sure why restarting it didn't occur to me! Derp

Sometimes Plex just doesn't feel like a thing you restart. Would you restart a river, or the air? Of course not. Plex is all around us.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Atomizer posted:

(I'm interpreting your "PoE adapter" to mean powerline networking.)

I’m not sure how the Op is using PoE, but it means Power over Ethernet. So not powerline. We use a PoE Switch in work to both power and provide data to ou VOIP phones. Except when the power part of poets 1-4 died for no reason, and gave me the opinion that PoE, like every other type of networking, is garbage bullshit that never works.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m not sure how the Op is using PoE, but it means Power over Ethernet. So not powerline. We use a PoE Switch in work to both power and provide data to ou VOIP phones. Except when the power part of poets 1-4 died for no reason, and gave me the opinion that PoE, like every other type of networking, is garbage bullshit that never works.

I know what PoE is, which is why I said that I thought he meant powerline instead, because actual PoE didn't make sense in that context. First of all, it doesn't matter to us if he actually is powering a device over Ethernet, so there's no point in mentioning that detail even if it was true. Second, he's neither powering the PC nor the ATV via PoE, so that makes it even less likely that's what he meant. Third, he mentioned "running 500mbps" which is neither a Fast nor Gigabit Ethernet speed, and is more in line with what powerline networking offers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I know what PoE is, which is why I said that I thought he meant powerline instead, because actual PoE didn't make sense in that context. First of all, it doesn't matter to us if he actually is powering a device over Ethernet, so there's no point in mentioning that detail even if it was true. Second, he's neither powering the PC nor the ATV via PoE, so that makes it even less likely that's what he meant. Third, he mentioned "running 500mbps" which is neither a Fast nor Gigabit Ethernet speed, and is more in line with what powerline networking offers.

It is indeed powerline ethernet , I must have had a brain fart and put power over ethernet by mistake

Either way the speed isn't an issue for what I'm doing, but I might change my setup shortly to eliminate the powerline adaptors all together, so maybe that will rectify it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im having a bad time with these new HEVC codec videos. I take it Plex has not updated to identify devices that support playback of these codecs?

Trying to select to direct stream on my ATV4 or my iphone 7, it wont let me select that option and keeps selecting to transcode to the highest quality 1080P stream it can.

My Plex server lives on my NAS which is an ARM CPU so it definitely cant handle transcoding.

If I play the video via VLC on my apple TV it'll work fine-ish, but fast moving scenes caus the screen to go grey/artifacty.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

teagone posted:

Any remote Roku devices should be able to Direct Play content from your server so long as the audio streams in your content aren't DTS-HD or TrueHD/Atmos.

I thought that had been fixed? I never actually look at the receiver to see what audio version it's using, I just assumed I was getting the full deal. I guess it must be downgrading to DD/DTS 5.1?

OK, main reason for posting. I'm trying to plan my next phase of upgrades and integration. We're adding a home theatre room to the basement, and as part of that step I would like to get Plex off my PC to reduce power consumption, and also generally unify things. Right now my PC is the Plex server, and we generally just stream (direct play 1080p files, no transcoding) to the Roku 2 in the living room. The setup is currently (and the future setup will also be) by wired gigabit connection. The expansion will likely mean we could be streaming to any of the theatre, rec room, living room, or bedroom at any time, but likely not more than 2 streams at once, and usually just one. Bedroom will probably have a Roku Streaming Stick, just for ease of use. The living room will keep the Roku2, or upgrade to a Roku Premiere. Rec room will have whichever option the living room doesn't take (2 or Premiere). And for the HT I was thinking about an nvidia Shield. I think the last time I looked, the Shield may have been the best (only) option for Atmos and DTS:X content? That will be a priority in the theatre.

What I am mostly trying to figure out it how to get the PC out of the equation. Should I get a simple NAS since I don't do any transcoding (that I'm aware of anyway)? Should I get a higher end NAS with some processing power? Or should I go to a NUC or a light PC server designed to be low power usage? I don't want to overdo this, but I also want to make sure I have a decent solution that won't result in buffering. Ideally, what I'm looking for is a reasonably small (to go on a shelf in the storage closet with switch, modem, etc.) somewhat low power use box that I can leave always on and not worry about. Bonus points if I can use it to do a regular automatic backup of the PC. Almost all of my media is 1080p (or 720p for more casual TV shows) that is played without transcoding - or at least that's my intention. Is there a clear go-to solution for me? I want it to be as easy to set up and use as possible. I will probably want about 8TB or so in storage space. I don't necessarily care about RAID redundancy.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
For anyone using Plex in Kodi finding it's suddenly not finding the Server, a recent update to the Kodi 'requests' plugin seems to have killed it. Downgrading from 2.18.4 to 2.12.4 fixes things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone used a 3rd party player called XPLAY before?

I have it on my LG TV via the App Store, and it seems... surprisingly good? The UI isn't brilliant and it's missing some features (in particular playlists which I don't generally use much, but would for my purposes here... doh!)

Anyway, I stumbled upon it as I'm trying to work on getting 4K stuff working across my network. My server is a 2012 Mac Mini that can't transcode on the fly the 4K files (which is fine - I want them direct play'd). I have a bunch of playback hardware, but only a few that do 4K. I have an Xbox One S so I've got the new official client and I can mess about with it and get things working sometimes, as it's insanely picky and forces transcoding on things like using the 2nd audio track as it can't do DTS etc. But even then, it struggles with direct play when it's wired to my router and my Mac relies on 5ghz as it's in another room. It's not watchable for most things, even lower bitrate rips (say 15gb files, despite waaaay bigger files working fine on the Apple TV 1080p next to it). Essentially, the xbone app isn't good enough, and probably has too many hardware issues for it to ever be worthwhile for me as a 4K client.

XPLAY on my TV handles pretty much everything I've thrown at it, and gives me a heads up if the audio track selected is going to cause a transcoding issue. I've streamed a 4K remux file of about 40gb in direct play and it didn't drop a beat. I tried a 100gb 4K Capture and it can't deal with that, so I know it's limitations at least. So I'm probably going to throw these dodgy Russians my $10 or whatever for the unlocked version, so I don't have to invest in new hardware yet. I honestly didn't see that one coming.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For playing from Plex onto iOS devices, what is the best option if I have a couple people in the house on different devices with different iOS store logins:

1) Buy the app unlock - I *think* this won't work for the other person though even if they are on the family sharing (IAP doesn't go that way?)

2) Subscribe to Plex pass for a month - does this unlock the app permanently or does it require you to stay subscribed?

I don't really want to have to subscribe to plex forever because all I want is the ability to play on iOS devices and the recent server update really messed that up in Safari. I tried out Emby but it was pretty buggy and crashed a lot leading to a lot of spousal eye rolling. Any other good options?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

People play media on their phones using browsers?

Anyways have other person literally spend like $5

astral
Apr 26, 2004

priznat posted:

For playing from Plex onto iOS devices, what is the best option if I have a couple people in the house on different devices with different iOS store logins:

1) Buy the app unlock - I *think* this won't work for the other person though even if they are on the family sharing (IAP doesn't go that way?)

2) Subscribe to Plex pass for a month - does this unlock the app permanently or does it require you to stay subscribed?

I don't really want to have to subscribe to plex forever because all I want is the ability to play on iOS devices and the recent server update really messed that up in Safari. I tried out Emby but it was pretty buggy and crashed a lot leading to a lot of spousal eye rolling. Any other good options?

Spend the $5 (x2) if you like the product.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

priznat posted:

Pack a sack lunch for 2 days and use the $10 saved to support the Plex devs by buying the app unlock for both devices.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finally:
https://twitter.com/plex/status/930872664121417728

[edit] Oh wait, no mention if it works with Google Home. :rip:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
OK, I'm really confused.

My viewing setup is really simple - a PS4 hooked up to a Sony Bravia via HDMI, so just a 2.0 setup.

I'm using HandBrake to convert all my blurays to MP4s so my lovely server doesn't die transcoding them.

For audio, I've been selecting AC3 Passthru/DTS Passthru instead of compressing the audio because the filesize difference isn't that important.

My issue is that I'm noticing that AC3 5.1 audio sounds fine through my TV speakers - Plex seems to downmix it to stereo just fine. DTS on the other hand is all hosed. Dialog (assuming center channel for you 5.1 havers?) is really really low in the mix. Music queues and sound effects drown out all speech. Dredd is the worst for this. The weird thing is if I play the bluray on the PS4, it sounds fine. It just sounds like poo poo through Plex.

Any ideas? Please don't tell me to just buy a receiver and a bunch of speakers. That isn't going to happen.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Does anyone use Plex DVR with their HDHomeRun device and like it?

I've read that it can be a bit finicky, both when viewing live and recording. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I've been having a hell of a time getting Plex to send me offers to get Plex Pass for $75 lifetime. Apparently some people were getting emails to this effect. Anyone have any tips to make that happen?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oldstench posted:

OK, I'm really confused.

My viewing setup is really simple - a PS4 hooked up to a Sony Bravia via HDMI, so just a 2.0 setup.

I'm using HandBrake to convert all my blurays to MP4s so my lovely server doesn't die transcoding them.

For audio, I've been selecting AC3 Passthru/DTS Passthru instead of compressing the audio because the filesize difference isn't that important.

My issue is that I'm noticing that AC3 5.1 audio sounds fine through my TV speakers - Plex seems to downmix it to stereo just fine. DTS on the other hand is all hosed. Dialog (assuming center channel for you 5.1 havers?) is really really low in the mix. Music queues and sound effects drown out all speech. Dredd is the worst for this. The weird thing is if I play the bluray on the PS4, it sounds fine. It just sounds like poo poo through Plex.

Any ideas? Please don't tell me to just buy a receiver and a bunch of speakers. That isn't going to happen.

In the PS4's audio settings — not the Plex app settings — can you check to make sure it's not set to like 5.1 or Dolby Surround? Can you force the PS4 audio settings to output stereo instead? If no setting like that is available in the PS4 settings, in that case poke around the Plex app settings and see if you can force stereo audio. Since you have a 2.0 setup, it'd make sense to have your server transcode 5.1 audio tracks to 2.0 stereo. Your server will see minimal impact on performance when just transcoding audio streams.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 19, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bobfather posted:

Does anyone use Plex DVR with their HDHomeRun device and like it?

I've read that it can be a bit finicky, both when viewing live and recording. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I've been having a hell of a time getting Plex to send me offers to get Plex Pass for $75 lifetime. Apparently some people were getting emails to this effect. Anyone have any tips to make that happen?

I use it and like it. Non-grid guide took some getting used to, but with only 19 OTA channels after filtering out the shopping and Jesus channels it's not hard to browse what's on and what's coming on. Shows can be watched on anything but for full-framerate 1080i shows like sports you're going to want a client that can play mpeg2 without transcoding for best motion quality. You can't manage DVR recording schedules or watch Live TV on an Xbox One or PS4, not sure about Roku or Android TV. I have to use my phone or web browser.

I have experienced my server kinda saying "I quit" when it comes to making recordings until the server app gets restarted, which is annoying as gently caress when you're expecting something to be recorded, but a Task Scheduler event can fix that until they get whatever causes that sorted.

It does give you the bonus ability to watch live TV on your phone wherever, which is nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xbone One can’t do DTS from memory, maybe PS4 can’t either?