Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

A Typical Goon posted:

Backstrom was the best player from the 2006 draft and is ridiculously underrated overall

Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Remember those 2 glorious weeks when Giroux was the best player in the world :xd:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Remember those 2 glorious weeks when Giroux was the best player in the world :xd:

And then Team Canada made their Olympic roster and he wasnt included.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kilza posted:

Oilers win 6-3, our 3rd line got a goal at even strength (!!!) and McDavid is now tied for 7th in points with 16.

Still, fire Chiarelli.

You're going to end up with Q after the Blackhawks fail to make the playoffs this year.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Blues. 14gp. 21pts

Jets. 12gp. 16pts

Avalanche 12gp. 14pts

Stars. 13gp. 14pts

Blackhawks. 13gp. 14pts

Predators. 13gp. 14pts

Wild. 11gp. 12pts

Welcome back, Division of Death!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bub spank posted:

If Nashville is doing that, why not just trade a d-man for Duchene straight up? He and Turris are pretty comparable players, but Duchene’s younger and under contract longer.

The continuation of Sakic's career basically depends on what he can get for Duchene. He has to have a grand slam of a deal though and the odds of it working for him are still basically zero.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

And then Team Canada made their Olympic roster and he wasnt included.

Given what we know of Team Canada roster construction, that's probably a sign that he's good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's talk back-to-backs, shall we? I know PAS is having a meltdown over the number they have to play, and it's virtually guaranteed to be part of the new CBA talks (whenever those happen :smithicide:).

Here's my thoughts on them:
-Back-to-backs where the team playing it plays at home both nights are ok.
-Back-to-backs where the distance between the two cities is ~300 miles are also fine (the distance between Pittsburgh and Philly). Any travel exceeding that distance should have a day between.
-3 games in four days should be eliminated, except when two of the games are played in the same location (read: home).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

iospace posted:

Let's talk back-to-backs, shall we? I know PAS is having a meltdown over the number they have to play, and it's virtually guaranteed to be part of the new CBA talks (whenever those happen :smithicide:).

-Back-to-backs where the distance between the two cities is ~300 miles are also fine (the distance between Pittsburgh and Philly). Any travel exceeding that distance should have a day between.
-3 games in four days should be eliminated, except when two of the games are played in the same location (read: home).

Back-to-backs with the same 2 teams playing home and away is fine imo.

Micah did some work on this during the summer:

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/878263521477144576/photo/1

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/879314929269919745/photo/1

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bub spank posted:

If Nashville is doing that, why not just trade a d-man for Duchene straight up? He and Turris are pretty comparable players, but Duchene’s younger and under contract longer.

Because they can fit Turris in cap wise and not have to subtract from another part of the team. They want to win the cup this year.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

iospace posted:

I wonder if the California / NYC-area swings are extra-tough on visitors, it seems like there are often 3 in 4 series where teams hit ANA/LAK/SJ or NJD/NYR/NYI.

I don't know if there are very many homestand 3 in 4s at all, those might be avoided even for fanbase reasons. Like, I'm a season ticket holder and going to 3 games in 4 nights would be a lot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Because they can fit Turris in cap wise and not have to subtract from another part of the team. They want to win the cup this year.

Yeah they are all-in at the moment. I kinda think that's why they still have Girard up, shopping him for a piece.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thufir posted:

I wonder if the California / NYC-area swings are extra-tough on visitors, it seems like there are often 3 in 4 series where teams hit ANA/LAK/SJ or NJD/NYR/NYI.

I don't know if there are very many homestand 3 in 4s at all, those might be avoided even for fanbase reasons. Like, I'm a season ticket holder and going to 3 games in 4 nights would be a lot.

ANA/LAK and NYR/NYI are ok in that you can probably stay in the same hotel since you don't really leave the city.

As for the second part, I was more going 2 home, 1 away in 4 days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ghost Bear expected back tonight :toot:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

iospace posted:

My favorite thing about the Sullivan era, other than the two Stanley Cups, is the fact this is what qualifies as a PAS meltdown now. I don't know any PAS poster who really cares. They won two fuckin' Cups and the team is still super fun to watch all the games they play that aren't the back end of back-to-backs. I don't know any Pens fan who feels anything more than passing mild annoyance at the touchdown losses on the back-to-backs.

I mean if we get to March and the Pens are 3-11 in those games and struggling for a playoff spot then maybe we'll talk meltdown

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eric the Mauve posted:

My favorite thing about the Sullivan era, other than the two Stanley Cups, is the fact this is what qualifies as a PAS meltdown now. I don't know any PAS poster who really cares. They won two fuckin' Cups and the team is still super fun to watch all the games they play that aren't the back end of back-to-backs. I don't know any Pens fan who feels anything more than passing mild annoyance at the touchdown losses on the back-to-backs.

I mean if we get to March and the Pens are 3-11 in those games and struggling for a playoff spot then maybe we'll talk meltdown

Well it's thing you're currently angry over now that Niemi got kicked to the Panthers curb.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There isn't much that could make me melt down right now. Even if they missed the playoffs due to injuries or whatever else the bright side on that would be giving them a long summer to recover. Plus they'd probably find a way to win one of the draft picks in the lottery because that's the type of bullshit luck they have as a franchise.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pens, Hawks and Kings fans aren't allowed to genuinely moan about anything for the next 15 years at least.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Pens, Hawks and Kings fans aren't allowed to genuinely moan about anything for the next 15 years at least.

I feel like complaining after a good run likely ends up with your team becoming the post '93 Habs.

The Bill Wirtz era honestly made me think I would never see a competitive Hawks team in my life, never mind 3 Cups. So yeah, I might moan about our bad D and aging core but I got to see something a lot of teams fans never will.

Lance Bouma sucks and I hope whatever team he came from never sees a Cup.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

iospace posted:

Well it's thing you're currently angry over now that Niemi got kicked to the Panthers curb.

And Ryan Reaves. Still bitching about Ryan Reaves. I think Sheahan has been passable so far....not very noticeable which for a 3C is probably fine. No idea on his fancies, but I think he has a few points so :shrug:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ThinkTank posted:

When can Detroit fa--haha just kidding we moaned even during the Cup runs.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Lance Bouma sucks and I hope whatever team he came from never sees a Cup.

Since he came from the Flames, I strongly approve of this.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It is my birthday today which means the Leafs are guaranteed to Leaf it the gently caress up tonight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

It is my birthday today which means the Leafs are guaranteed to Leaf it the gently caress up tonight.

No that only happens when you go to see the game live on your birthday. I think it was martytoof that went to see the Habs not once but twice on his birthday and they lost both times.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/926892335903862785
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/926893804103254017

:rip: Russian man

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Looks like lethonen is in. Enjoy the win, buffalo.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

How many FA's are gonna tell McPhee thanks but no thanks this July?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Stiev Awt posted:

How many FA's are gonna tell McPhee thanks but no thanks this July?

Everyone will want to play for him because VGK gonna win the cup

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ThinkTank posted:

Having grown up a Devils fan, I still feel like fans of the team can't complain even though their last Stanley Cup win was 2003. Maybe I'd feel different if they didn't luck into the finals in 2013, I dunno. That buffer lasts a long time with multi-Cups.

As an adopted Caps fan, however...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GMGM should pay me $9 million to not play hockey, too.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If he retires I'm pretty sure he doesn't get his money

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I remember reading that McPhee had a pretty lovely reputation with agents during his time in Washington. Nice to see some things don’t change.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good thing they traded for Gusev, now sure to come over next season!

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

At least Tuch is killing it

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/926972178079379457

I imagine those were good prospect(s) too. Nothing is good enough for Sakic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am shocked the flyers lost in a shootout

Shocked, I say!

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
N: The shootout

V:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I went to a game where the Flyers won a shootout. It was an actual miracle on earth and it made me believe in our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Habs won. That probably should have been interference on Patches. Maurice continues to be a bad coach.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I don't know what the Leafs are doing in the D-zone anymore and I'm not sure they know either. I think Marner is rubbing off on Martin. Martin had two really nice assists which was absolutely shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Stiev Awt posted:

Habs won. That probably should have been interference on Patches. Maurice continues to be a bad coach.

Hell the 2nd goal shouldn't have counted. Shaw swatted the puck out of Hellebuyck's glove.

• Locked thread