Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

summer 2, year 2. Got a little over ambitious and planted about 150-200 crops. 90 of those are blueberries. The rest mostly corn and hops, so no re-seeding like those drat potatoes. I don't have enough sprinklers.

Got married last day of spring. Abi has been watering the crops every morning so far, saves me a ton of time. Cows and chickens at max happiness, getting iridium quality milk and eggs, but not cheese/mayo is still gold only. My pig is also digging up more truffles than my one oil maker can handle per day.

Got a couple of oaks producing resin, crafting barrels and slowly expanding my brewery operations. Also planted hops and starfruit in the greenhouse.

Also ventured into the skull cave. Not sure if I just had a bad luck day but finding stairs took long, had to clear 80-90% of the rocks before one showed, and one time it was just a hole that dropped me down 8 floors. Also there are flying beetles that don't take damage from my sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Not sure how blind you're wanting your playthrough to be but mayo/cheese only comes in normal or gold. It's entirely dependant on the size of the input good small or large not the star quality. Cheese can be upgraded once you get basement casks.

Skull cave is a luck game. You can help out by going on high luck days and carrying lots of stone to make your own stairs and bombs to clear out chunks of rocks to save time.

The beetles are unkillable.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Darkhold posted:

Not sure how blind you're wanting your playthrough to be but mayo/cheese only comes in normal or gold. It's entirely dependant on the size of the input good small or large not the star quality. Cheese can be upgraded once you get basement casks.

Skull cave is a luck game. You can help out by going on high luck days and carrying lots of stone to make your own stairs and bombs to clear out chunks of rocks to save time.

The beetles are unkillable.

Ok, thanks. Does it still pay off to turn iridium eggs into mayo or are they more valuable as-is?

Crafting stairs I almost forgot about, can do that yeah. Does the skull cave have an elevator-type thing like the mines or do you start from floor 1 every time you go back? I got a quest to reach floor 25, doubt that can be done in one in-game day.

Trying not to look up too much, but there are so many little things in the game that aren't explained properly that sometimes help is needed.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Skull cave doesn't have an elevator, no. Just bring lots of rocks to make stairs with, and big bombs to mine with. Getting to 25 isn't even particularly hard without rocks/stairs (but with bombs) on a good luck day, but you'll want to go deeper for a good haul of ore.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

alright, i guess i'll need to craft some bombs and bring food, the last time i got taken off guard by the slime blobs turning into smaller ones

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

In winter 2, I have 18 kegs and 9 preserves barrels, and I feel like I’m in aesop’s fables, happily brewing/preserving away my hundreds of hops and cranberries that I saved up just for this purpose. When this game is satisfying, it’s REALLY satisfying.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's a mod that adds an elevator to the skull cave but it's essentially a cheat mod.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dictator. posted:

Ok, thanks. Does it still pay off to turn iridium eggs into mayo or are they more valuable as-is?
There's always profit but it's not great depending on what perks you have. If you have an open machine though there's no reason not to.

Edit: well not great is relative to if you have the 'right' perks. I made it sound worse than it is. Also there's one non-chicken egg layer that the silver and above egg is worth more than the mayo.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 2, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Because I chose dumb perks, I’m pretty sure that gold and above wool and large goat milk are worth more than their resulting artisan products for me.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah there's a couple like that but eggs are pretty straightforward.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Darkhold posted:

Yeah there's a couple like that but eggs are pretty straightforward.

Except that never, ever make your dinosaur eggs into mayo because it actually decreases their value.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I wonder if theres some way stardew, and the other harvest moon type games, could work in farming meat from cattle and such and still maintain the relaxed and innocent tone of the game

or if that should just be tossed out the window and the horror of farming be shown in all its terrible splendor :black101:
I think ConcernedApe was messing around with having one animal produce meat (rabbits, maybe? I forget) but decided it wasn't in keeping with the overall spirt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure selling animals for cash qualifies as using them as meat, cause what else is gonna happen to them?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
They become ethereum quality.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure selling animals for cash qualifies as using them as meat, cause what else is gonna happen to them?

I'd like to think of it as a donation because you get piddle amounts of money for growing one of those things to adulthood.

While CA mimicked Harvest Moon, he didn't mimic farm-life. You grow Betsy nice and fat, then take her to the annual fair and hope you get first place so you can sell her off to the meat-grinder for a good price and then begin again. Fair awards would apply to all the other animals too.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Don't name animals ya plan on butchering is what my uncle told me. Unless ya name them after your enemies.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

World Famous W posted:

Don't name animals ya plan on butchering is what my uncle told me. Unless ya name them after your enemies.

My grandpa had a cow named Buster, and it wasn’t until I was older that I realized that sometimes Buster would get younger and change colors right about the time he’d give us a large amount of beef to throw in the freezer.

:thunk:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

I wonder if theres some way stardew, and the other harvest moon type games, could work in farming meat from cattle and such and still maintain the relaxed and innocent tone of the game

or if that should just be tossed out the window and the horror of farming be shown in all its terrible splendor :black101:

I mean, most farmers don't butcher their own cattle anyways. I'm imagining something where you click a button one day to send the cow off to slaughter, and then get your meat in the mail a couple days later.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

I mean, most farmers don't butcher their own cattle anyways. I'm imagining something where you click a button one day to send the cow off to slaughter, and then get your meat in the mail a couple days later.

My dad started out butchering his own cattle but eventually couldn't bring himself to do it so he started sending them off to someone else do it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think Shepards crossing 2 is the game where if you play as a girl none of the bachelor's are interested in you but are pressured into marrying you by their family not out of love but just to reproduce. So after the wedding your husband tells you he's moving to the city for work and you won't see him much but he'll send you money.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Uncle Wemus posted:

I think Shepards crossing 2 is the game where if you play as a girl none of the bachelor's are interested in you but are pressured into marrying you by their family not out of love but just to reproduce. So after the wedding your husband tells you he's moving to the city for work and you won't see him much but he'll send you money.

Which game is the one where if you're a woman and get married, the game ends (or so I hear)?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Which game is the one where if you're a woman and get married, the game ends (or so I hear)?

Harvest Moon for Girl

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Magical melody makes you keep working while pregnant and halves your stamina

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I name my chickens things like [74] and [645] after my grandpappy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pug Rodeo posted:

Harvest Moon for Girl

Specifically, Back to Nature For Girl and when choosing the girl in GB3.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Bogart posted:

I name my chickens things like [74] and [645] after my grandpappy.

does that work on animals too?

Internet Kraken posted:

you can do that? who buys the animals?

Thinking of selling at least the pig come winter, he won't be finding me truffles for the whole month so that's just another mouth to feed. Also the sheep is barely pulling his weight with one piece of wool every third day. Or does it pay going into cloth?

I've just been adding kegs and cashing on dairy products and mayo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dictator. posted:

Yes, but I think in animals' case it's a one-off because the only time their name is ever called by the script is when you first acquire them.

Dictator. posted:

Thinking of selling at least the pig come winter, he won't be finding me truffles for the whole month so that's just another mouth to feed. Also the sheep is barely pulling his weight with one piece of wool every third day. Or does it pay going into cloth?

No one in particular. You just right click the animal then click the sell button that appears, and he animal disappears and you get cash.

Sell your pig only if you don't intend to keep pigs anymore. Even if you buy all the feed it costs (50 each times 30 days) $1500 to feed it all winter, which is nothing compared to the long term cost of lost truffles while you're waiting for a new pig to grow up.

Rabbits are better sources of wool than sheep, because (a) they don't require manual harvesting, and (b) they also occasionally drop rabbit's feet.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 3, 2017

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, but I think in animals' case it's a one-off because the only time their name is ever called by the script is when you first acquire them.

so it wouldn't work when you check up on them and it says "[AnimalName] is looking happy"

Eric the Mauve posted:

No one in particular. You just right click the animal then click the sell button that appears, and he animal disappears and you get cash.

Sell your pig only if you don't intend to keep pigs anymore. Even if you buy all the feed it costs (50 each times 30 days) $1500 to feed it all winter, which is nothing compared to the long term cost of lost truffles while you're waiting for a new pig to grow up.

Rabbits are better sources of wool than sheep, because (a) they don't require manual harvesting, and (b) they also occasionally drop rabbit's feet.

Oh right, then I'll get rabbits in stead, and add more cows or goats and get rid of the sheep

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dictator. posted:

I've just been adding kegs and cashing on dairy products and mayo.

pigs are still good, truffles are big bucks and they produce for 3 out of 4 seasons, 2x a day regularly. I'm pretty tepid on sheep/rabbits b/c they don't produce often enough compared to a daily huge milk or huge egg that can be processed quickly into a more valuable product. You don't even need any of them for the community center since their products can all be gained in other ways. (Emily will also send you wool or cloth, newspapers can recycle to cloth, dragon eels drop rabbits feet)

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Dictator. posted:

so it wouldn't work when you check up on them and it says "[AnimalName] is looking happy”

No because that’s in a different dialogue box. I usually just leave a few spots open in the coop and buy a few chicken with [166][163][74] as the name (with the item codes changed around each time since you can’t have animals with the same name. That gives me a treasure chest and Legend fish which are worth $10000 together, as well as a prismatic shard for gifts. Then I go back to the coop and sell the new chicks. At that point I can go back and do it all over again for more money or go back to my chores.

I justify my actions because I was a dummy and picked rancher instead of tiller so I don’t get an artisan bonus. :doh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pug Rodeo posted:

I justify my actions because I was a dummy and picked rancher instead of tiller so I don’t get an artisan bonus. :doh:

You can fix this in a few seconds with a save editor, if you really need to

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Psion posted:

You can fix this in a few seconds with a save editor, if you really need to

Playing on the Switch unfortunately.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Reading this thread makes me feel like I’m playing the game wrong because I’m not min-maxing everything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Reading this thread makes me feel like I’m playing the game wrong because I’m not min-maxing everything.

You're not, don't worry. :)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The point of Stardew is to relax and have fun. There is no "right" way of doing things, so don't worry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The point of Stardew is to relax and have fun. There is no "right" way of doing things, so don't worry.

Yeah, once I learned that there was no real downside if you happened to 'miss' your evaluation, and can get another one virtually any time, I stopped caring about having the 'best' farm, and now just have a farm.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Listen, I'm not saying you're playing the game wrong, but if you don't have a spreadsheet open while you're playing, then you're playing the game wrong.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
said spreadsheet must have at least 7 macros

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and i don't meant that pussy =SUM(B1:B12) bullshit i mean real honest to god multivariate macros that take into account individual profit optimization and planting days to give real rates of return

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

u PLEBIAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

I got this game for the switch about a month ago and I'm hooked. It's like animal crossing mixed with the sims. And you get to fight monsters! I'm on spring y4 and I've filled my greenhouse with ancient fruit, a shed load of kegs/oil machines and a barn of pigs. My next goal is to try and get to 10 hearts with everyone before I choose myself a spouse ;-*