Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You really don't want to DIY compliance stuff. Do you at least use a consultant to turn the legal words into IT requirements and practises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I clear my responses with our management and recommend that we do not send the responses as-is, then they approve it and we move on with our lives. It's not auditing in the sense of an actual SOX/HIPPA/PCI audit, I would take those more seriously if they applied to us. This is more of a client audit, worst case we lose the client. I still wouldn't send these responses if I was making the call, but I've tried to fix the problems properly and my choices are either to lie, which I'm not going to do, or to fill them out accurately and advise management not to send them.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone willing to share their resume with me? Or point me in a direction where I might see some modern "jack of all trades" style resumes I could crib from?

I think it's finally time to :yotj: and I haven't actually had to update my resume since 2002.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'd recommend formatting work experience like this:

Jan 2009-Present Company, Los Angeles, CA
Senior Analyst, Networking: IT support for blabla. IT team lead for [various projects]

Accomplishments include:
• Selected and implemented monitoring system to reduce total operating expenses by $500,000 annually.
• Designing and deploying enterprise VMWare and Microsoft server environments up to 50 servers per company for multiple companies
• Monitoring and maintaining 700 on-premise and collocated physical and virtual servers for multiple companies, as part of team.

^^ accomplishments should show actual value with specific numbers and dollar amounts if you can. "managed 5 technicians" not "managed a team" for example.

That's all the feedback I have

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm using consultancies to help with the compliance stuff, yeah.

My latest thing is we're moving offices and management want to replace the last of our desktops with laptops so that everyone can do flexible/agile/smart/collaborative/hotdesk working at the new site.

I've only ever ordered 1 or 2 machines at a time before, online, and I don't have an account manager or get quotes or discounts or anything like that. Is 20 machines enough of an order to get me into that zone? For those of you who do have account managers/VARs/similar, what kind of discount do you get on website prices?

Also, does anyone have a laptop they'd recommend? I'm thinking 15.6", 8GB RAM, SSD and a 3 year onsite NBD warranty, and I'm currently considering something like the 250 G5 or Probook 430 G4 (we're an HP shop at the moment but I'm not particularly wedded to them. Not sure if it's a US thing only but I hear Dell give good discounts).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm using consultancies to help with the compliance stuff, yeah.

My latest thing is we're moving offices and management want to replace the last of our desktops with laptops so that everyone can do flexible/agile/smart/collaborative/hotdesk working at the new site.

I've only ever ordered 1 or 2 machines at a time before, online, and I don't have an account manager or get quotes or discounts or anything like that. Is 20 machines enough of an order to get me into that zone? For those of you who do have account managers/VARs/similar, what kind of discount do you get on website prices?

Also, does anyone have a laptop they'd recommend? I'm thinking 15.6", 8GB RAM, SSD and a 3 year onsite NBD warranty, and I'm currently considering something like the 250 G5 or Probook 430 G4 (we're an HP shop at the moment but I'm not particularly wedded to them. Not sure if it's a US thing only but I hear Dell give good discounts).

dell gives great discounts in volume if you get yourself a good account rep (get an account rep, it is worth the periodic hassle just for those sweet discounts once you get a relationship going.)

for those specs latitude line should be fine.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dell Latitudes.

There used to be a goon Dell rep in SAMart idk if he's still around.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the solution of choice to manage say, 10-20 iPads and iPhones. Manually managing them, especially the remote ones in a pain in the arse. Remote control would be a great feature too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jamf Jamf Jamf Jamf Jamf.

No remote control allowed on iOS though. For remote devices pick one or two good suppliers and ensure they can register the devices into DEP, then you never have to worry about activation lock, and you don't need to touch the devices before the end users receive them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Jamf Jamf Jamf Jamf Jamf.

No remote control allowed on iOS though. For remote devices pick one or two good suppliers and ensure they can register the devices into DEP, then you never have to worry about activation lock, and you don't need to touch the devices before the end users receive them.

Cool. We just registered for a trial so we'll see how we like it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, DEP is key. I don't touch machines anymore for my company deployment.

We use Meraki because it's good enough for our needs. I'll reevaluate in a year.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Teamviewer are releasing on iOS soon. Not sure of the details but got a newsletter about it recently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah there's an API being added into iOS 11:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/replaykit

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Thanks people who recommended Dell - I went with Latitudes and got a good price.

They're nice machines, but Windows 10 is a pain.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack the Lad posted:

Thanks people who recommended Dell - I went with Latitudes and got a good price.

They're nice machines, but Windows 10 is a pain.

Just curious what you had in mind

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think this is the best place for this post after checking the first few pages of SH/SC.

I have a friend's dad who is looking for my insight and to clarify the estimate he received from his normal IT company for a new server. He's a CPA w/ 3 employees, to my knowledge the server is mainly for backups and running server copies of the software they use. I'm gonna see if he and I can conference in with the IT company to have them break down how and why they came up with this estimate because it seems really high for his someone with his size office.

His previous server was about $7k according to him, he also received an estimate for a NAS separately, which I can wrap my head around, although not sure why a NAS AND a server considering some of the components in the server... however, my background is in consumer level stuff and have never dealt with a server, let alone planning one, etc. I'm tentatively starting a new position in a week or so in a corporate office, so I hope to get more knowledge on this kind of stuff in the coming months/years.

I was hoping to get some insight and see if you guys might be able to tell me why the IT company made the recommendations they did.

https://imgur.com/a/tpoal

Let me know if there's anything else I should provide! Thanks, y'all!

Also

I'm starting to a support a small architecture firm, about 3 employees or so. They're in a shared office space w/ another architect firm. They're part of the building's network. The big thing they're trying to get handled right now is what to use cloud service or hardware to use for collaborating. They use RevIt and SketchUp and might have other programs in play depending on things.

My understanding is those files can get really beefy, into the GBs. I'm thinking that a NAS of some sort might be the best bet, but not sure and was hoping for some advice and insight.

The same office, the owner is currently using a personal Outlook.com/Office 365 account so as to sync info w/ his Outlook and whatnot. The issue is with sending meeting and calendar invites. If we use an alias, namely his business e-mail, then Outlook sends stuff as outlook_16hexcharacters@outlook.com, and he doesn't want to be sending invites to clients with his personal account showing. Is that something that could be overcome w/ an Office 365 Biz plan? Basically, looking for Exchange functionality... I'm realizing as I say this that maybe we just look into if his business e-mail host can provide Exchange functionality, does that sound like a more viable option?

I appreciate any knowledge you can lay on me!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no dude.

no.

maybe 5k tops

with markup say 5.5k

that is an assrape fuckyouretard.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean whats your avg data thouroughput?

you will not come anywhere needing anything like that.

for a backup server?

who the gently caress are these clowns and if they are doing anything less than real time backup with them they should be hung.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
office 365 yes.

cheaper and better.

you can set it up off your custom domain for professionalization and its pretty easy for even a neophyte to do.

sorry about all these broken up posts still caffinating.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
item 13.

this is for one server correct?

ok.

it takes maybe 45 minutesish tops to install a server operating system and thats if its complex.

i hate these people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
goddamn it the deeper i look.

8 licenses of win2k16

WHY?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
with three people honestly friend you could use office 365 onedrive as your backup and run no server. or just a small essentials server for a fraction of your cost like sub 1k not including hardware.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
not that im suggesting running no backup locally. but a small nas would do that fine and we are still less than halfway there for the year. assuming 450 o365 pricing for the year for 3 users

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
and im working for free on a saturday gently caress me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

with three people honestly friend you could use office 365 onedrive as your backup and run no server. or just a small essentials server for a fraction of your cost like sub 1k not including hardware.

I wouldn't do that. CPAs tend to like real computers and servers and will spend on it. Basically the ones I know use a Windows 7 Pro workstation as a server with RAID drives. Then they rotate USB HD backups and have Carbonite as a last resort type of thing. I don't do cloud stuff with them because it would take too long to get back up and running if something poo poo the bed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

redeyes posted:

I wouldn't do that. CPAs tend to like real computers and servers and will spend on it. Basically the ones I know use a Windows 7 Pro workstation as a server with RAID drives. Then they rotate USB HD backups and have Carbonite as a last resort type of thing. I don't do cloud stuff with them because it would take too long to get back up and running if something poo poo the bed.

no i suggest a solid onsite backup essentials will do that fine, but o365 will do the cloud backups as well for ohshits and convenience plus give a good amount of collaboration features.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

goddamn it the deeper i look.

8 licenses of win2k16

WHY?

Because windows server is licensed by core now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats what Essentials exists and the whole thing is a crock of poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Essentials is a dumpster fire though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Fool posted:

Because windows server is licensed by core now.

yeah thats an 8 core.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That labor line item lists exchange and rds but there is no software or licenses listed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Fool posted:

Essentials is a dumpster fire though.

for newbs its ok.

just always use the wizards and dont get smart.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah thats an 8 core.

16 cores is the minimum license amount.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Fool posted:

They've also got 16 cores, because the tower comes with an 8 core processor and they're purchasing another for the second socket.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Fool posted:

really?

i mean im fine with being wrong

so say i have a ryzen threadripper server.

how many licences should it get? not sarcasm really im just curious.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
still overkill for 3 users

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sneakyfrog did you even read the post or understand Windows Server licensing? The only licensing thing weird in that setup is the 10 User CALS for 4 people. Maybe 5 if you're counting the MSP. The server is 2x8 cores, so 16 cores total, which is covered by 8 2-core licenses.
It's not just a backup server, if you read the post you'll read that there's also an application server component, and who the gently caress knows what they're running it on.
And if you read the line below item 13, you'd realize it's not just for one server OS. They're probably including migration to the new server and all that bullshit as well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was hoping to get some insight and see if you guys might be able to tell me why the IT company made the recommendations they did.

We can pick apart the quote until the cows come home, but if you want real advice we need to know more about the existing environment, what software is used, workflows, etc.

quote:

The same office, the owner is currently using a personal Outlook.com/Office 365 account so as to sync info w/ his Outlook and whatnot.

Get O365 with a custom domain and never look back.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Fool posted:

We can pick apart the quote until the cows come home, but if you want real advice we need to know more about the existing environment, what software is used, workflows, etc.

Pretty much this. What if the end user is a loving hellscape with weird rear end custom apps and loving finicky users who tremble at any changes? I've been there before and yeah we loving doubled our estimates, simply because we knew we were gonna need those extra hours to handle their bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jeoh posted:

Sneakyfrog did you even read the post or understand Windows Server licensing? The only licensing thing weird in that setup is the 10 User CALS for 4 people. Maybe 5 if you're counting the MSP. The server is 2x8 cores, so 16 cores total, which is covered by 8 2-core licenses.
It's not just a backup server, if you read the post you'll read that there's also an application server component, and who the gently caress knows what they're running it on.
And if you read the line below item 13, you'd realize it's not just for one server OS. They're probably including migration to the new server and all that bullshit as well.

i stand chastened.

my bad friend.

:smithfrog: