Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure pressuring people into sex in order to employ them is still pretty morally repugnant and possibly criminal. It being 18+ just takes a single layer off the loving skeeze.

That's a fair point, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've heard Ian McKellen used to roll around with guys who were pretty young. I'm hoping he doesn't get outed as a predator.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Casimir Radon posted:

I've heard Ian McKellen used to roll around with guys who were pretty young. I'm hoping he doesn't get outed as a predator.

I flirted pretty heavily with Ian on a job when I was about 25 a few years back. It was totally harmless fun and never got any negative vibes from him.

I was filming him for a award show segment with the company I then worked for.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
This is just my personal opinion but I think its bad to pressure people into having sex with you by threatening their careers, even if that person is more than 18 years old.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I flirted pretty heavily with Ian on a job when I was about 25 a few years back. It was totally harmless fun and never got any negative vibes from him.

I was filming him for a award show segment with the company I then worked for.
That's good. So far they haven't outed anybody I really really liked as a creep. I liked Spacey but he wasn't my favorite or anything. McKellen on the other hand is.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Is there a separate thread tracking all these new cinema scandals?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If Breckin Myer gets accused and cast out of Hollywood I’m done watching movies

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fooma posted:

Is there a separate thread tracking all these new cinema scandals?

Check The NeverEnding Story thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure Skwirl just meant "not a big deal" as in "not criminal and intensely morally repugnant".

I meant there wasn't going to be any legal or professional blowback. Weinstein was pulling his poo poo during what were ostensibly business meetings, Spacey assaulted a 14 year old. I'm not excusing Singer of anything, just trying to be realistic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you want another scandal, but not a sexual one, Disney just blocked LA Times from covering its movies (including Star Wars and Marvel ones) because the paper did a report on some shady dealings the company made.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-holiday-movie-preview-2017-times-note-on-disney-1509668978-htmlstory.html

Actually this sort of have a sexual element to it, because in 2014 another LA Time reporter was banned by ABC (also part of Disney) because of her reports about The Bachelorette.
https://twitter.com/AmyKinLA/status/926471575825661953

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Very in line with Disney using the press to publish hits on people they fall out of favor with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

I meant there wasn't going to be any legal or professional blowback. Weinstein was pulling his poo poo during what were ostensibly business meetings, Spacey assaulted a 14 year old. I'm not excusing Singer of anything, just trying to be realistic.

I meant that obviously nobody is gonna tell the underling that they have to gently caress or get fired. But even if they did, would that really be legal? And if they didn't, does it make a difference?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Snooze Cruise posted:

Like I just have trouble understanding how people who are aware of their crimes not have trouble watching their films, because even beyond the whole "the artist who created this piece of media is a monster" the films often have like thematic elements where you are just constantly reminded of their crimes.

Seems kind of easy to me for a reasons I'm not totally sure about. I can even enjoy Jeepers Creepers knowing full well what's going on. Specific to that movie, I get the distinct impression that I translate whatever undue focus on young kids to the monster itself so it sort of plays into the movie itself as a horror piece.

I'm going to chalk it up to a combination of "death of the author" and a separation between the artist and the art considering movies are such a massively collaborative effort. But that can't be too strong a reasoning because even authors who are monsters don't really bother me too much and their work is essentially singular efforts. I tried out Anne Perry's work after seeing Heavenly Creatures and ended up liking her work a fair amount. And I tested out Bill Cosby's Himself and it's still amazing to me.

One thing I found was that I didn't actually lament the end of anyone careers though. There's nothing "unfortunate" about the end of their careers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Seems kind of easy to me for a reasons I'm not totally sure about. I can even enjoy Jeepers Creepers knowing full well what's going on. Specific to that movie, I get the distinct impression that I translate whatever undue focus on young kids to the monster itself so it sort of plays into the movie itself as a horror piece.

I'm going to chalk it up to a combination of "death of the author" and a separation between the artist and the art considering movies are such a massively collaborative effort. But that can't be too strong a reasoning because even authors who are monsters don't really bother me too much and their work is essentially singular efforts. I tried out Anne Perry's work after seeing Heavenly Creatures and ended up liking her work a fair amount. And I tested out Bill Cosby's Himself and it's still amazing to me.

One thing I found was that I didn't actually lament the end of anyone careers though. There's nothing "unfortunate" about the end of their careers.

Klaus Kinski may have molested his daughter Natasha, but that still doesn't take away from his acting career. It just means that Werner Herzog should have taken those natives up on their offer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought I had remembered a scandal about Bryan Ferry but it turns out he's just a Nazi appreciator:

quote:

the way that the Nazis staged themselves and presented themselves, my Lord!...I'm talking about the films of Leni Riefenstahl...And the buildings of Albert Speer and the mass marches and the flags—just fantastic. Really beautiful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Young Freud posted:

Klaus Kinski may have molested his daughter Natasha, but that still doesn't take away from his acting career. It just means that Werner Herzog should have taken those natives up on their offer.

The only reason he didn’t was because he needed him to finish the movie, and Herzog always finishes his movies.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Terrifying Effigies posted:

For a minute I thought Thomas Jane was explaining the backstory for The Punisher, which strangely also seemed to work.

He thought they said illegal aliens and signed up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spacey was supposed to be doing a Gore Vidal biopic for Netflix and despite the fact that it had finished filming and was in post-production Netflix has pulled the plug.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have an idea. Send Kevin Spacey to the Phantom Zone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonz posted:

I have an idea. Send Kevin Spacey to the Phantom Zone.

Too late. Lex Luthor already became President.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lobok posted:

Too late. Lex Luthor already became President.

Really more of a Glorious Godfrey.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks to all the press about Hollywood scumbags it looks like The Church of Scientology might not be able to squelch the 5-6 rape investigations against Danny Masterson anymore.

That one was pretty f'd. Evidently Masterson was getting forceful with a girl in his car while parked in the girls Dads driveway and the dad kicked the window out, yanked Masterson through the broken window and kicked the poo poo outta him.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope the doors open on this because the music industry would just straight up end. You would have to disavow basically every major star from Elvis on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxGyJp0_5I

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

precision posted:

Ninth Gate is the only Polanski movie I would watch again, probably because it doesn't have any particularly weird sex stuff.

The last Woody Allen movie I tried to watch was Annie Hall and... yeah that didn't go well, I just turned it off.

e: I don't remember which thread but I made an effortpost about Hal Hartley along the lines of "separating art from artist". Lemme see if I can find it

oh god what did Hal Hartley do

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Check The NeverEnding Story thread.

Is this a joke that went over my head or an actual thread that I just can't seem to find?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sirotan posted:

Is this a joke that went over my head or an actual thread that I just can't seem to find?

I ok'd DCMurderverse to make one, so it'll probably be up today

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I think about the goofy faces in this all the time.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

There should be another article titled "Man Always Gets Little Rush Out of Posting John Lennon Onion Article."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
How great would it be is vast swaths of the usual Academy Awards fodder being rendered untouchable by their connection to sexual predators led to a movie about a literal child predator sweeping the Oscars?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Super Fan posted:

That one was pretty f'd. Evidently Masterson was getting forceful with a girl in his car while parked in the girls Dads driveway and the dad kicked the window out, yanked Masterson through the broken window and kicked the poo poo outta him.

Nice. Papa's got a brand new bag.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GonSmithe posted:

I ok'd DCMurderverse to make one, so it'll probably be up today

I’ll have it up this evening/tonight.

edit: *cough*

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 5, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

oh god what did Hal Hartley do

Nothing "bad", just that Trust is him making his own fanfiction about his love of Adrienne Shelley. Considering she and him were still on good terms when she died, I don't think there was anything "off color" going on, but it could seem that way especially if you watch it without the knowledge that she was like 24 at the time.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Nice. Papa's got a brand new bag.

Wow I just got the joke.

Nice.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to get a Warhammer 40K movie? I think it would be neat-O.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gatts posted:

Is it possible to get a Warhammer 40K movie? I think it would be neat-O.

They already made a prequel about going to the Warp for the first time, it's called Event Horizon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Veib posted:

They already made a prequel about going to the Warp for the first time, it's called Event Horizon.

When I was 6 years old I saw Aliens. The Xenomorph Queen haunted me and I had nightmares for years it was entering my room as I slept. Aliens holds a special place as the only movie to scare me or fill me with dread until I watched Event Horizon and I could also get a whiff of the dread and horror in the atmosphere of her movie. So that is also unique and good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Event Horizon is pretty cool. It's just a bummer that it could have been really loving cool made by a better director and a decade earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

When I was 6 years old I saw Aliens. The Xenomorph Queen haunted me and I had nightmares for years it was entering my room as I slept. Aliens holds a special place as the only movie to scare me or fill me with dread until I watched Event Horizon and I could also get a whiff of the dread and horror in the atmosphere of her movie. So that is also unique and good.

I had this same dream except it was fun and I had a giant pet Alien Queen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I may be the only person who though Event Horizon sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

I may be the only person who though Event Horizon sucked

I assure you, a lot of people think it sucks.

They just all have bad taste :colbert:

• Locked thread