Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Theres actually a wire from the wall to the charger. Its a great phone but lets stick to the facts.

I just shove the charger cable up my rear end because it's full of sunshine, charges fast, stop spreading fake news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bobfather posted:

For me it feels like dozens of little pinpricks on my skin. Just for a millisecond though.

Should my eyes feel like the outer layer is being burned off?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We use my wife’s Apple ID for our iPads and I have never really cared about it before. Now, with movies anywhere, I set it up to her iTunes account so we can watch those movies on the iPad (also, Apple gave a bunch of free 4K versions for movies).

I was wanting to set my iPhone on her account through family sharing. I checked her settings and it shows my phone as a member but no movies show up on my phone. Do I have to set up to share with her on my phone as well? Do I need to remove my phone from her account and add it again?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
gently caress I tried to unlock just now and the skin around my cheeks is breaking out into boils

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dogen posted:

Should my eyes feel like the outer layer is being burned off?

My man, how are we supposed to get daring fireball to pickup on these Facegate problems if you're making light of them?

Edit: Along with the stealth change about screen burn in being normal for OLEDs, Apple also mentioned that minor facial sunburns are typical also.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I look up videos of people using the X, it doesn't seem very sharp to me. Just looks like normal video to me.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Feenix posted:

I loved the screen real estate on my 2 gens of pluses. I have big hands so the heft and size wasn’t a problem. That said, I recognize the ease to hold the X. I’m still not fully ok with the smaller screen, but I don’t hate it.

I’d say my bigger X issue right now is the weird use of space and margins. It annoys me how high up the keyboard is. (Although I think it may have cured my “hits return or period instead of space bar” issue.)

I also notice ghosting on safari scrolling on contrasty screens.

Same thing here after using the last few Plus phones. It also bugs me that landscape mode is worse in every way now.

White bars down the side of the screen in landscape-mode Safari? No more 1:1 ratio when watching 1080p videos? No special landscape-mode UI in certain apps?

I’ll probably still stick with the X for the OLED and Face ID but the size of the Plus never bothered me and there are tradeoffs to be made when switching from a Plus to an X.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bobfather posted:

My man, how are we supposed to get daring fireball to pickup on these Facegate problems if you're making light of them?

Edit: Along with the stealth change about screen burn in being normal for OLEDs, Apple also mentioned that minor facial sunburns are typical also.

I think I’m getting laser eye surgery though. Thanks Tim!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Are iphone X sales not what they expected? Looks like I can walk into any apple store in my area and just walk out with one.
Nah it just seems like Apple directed more units for walk-in customers than in previous years.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 4, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

gently caress I tried to unlock just now and the skin around my cheeks is breaking out into boils

Me using my X right now:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zero One posted:

Me using my X right now:

Wow yet another company bowing to SJWs and antifa terrorists by discriminating against Nazis. Not my America

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

Also with the above in mind, will I be able to go to the Fruit Stand and play with one now? Or do they only have demos when stock catches up?
I don’t think anyone answered this: the Apple Store will always have demo units once a product has launched. Third party retailers might wait for stock to catch up.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I just cancelled my pre-ordered phone with a December delivery date because I could pick one up in the store today. WTF.

I’ll have that sweet X in my hands this evening!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don’t think anyone answered this: the Apple Store will always have demo units once a product has launched. Third party retailers might wait for stock to catch up.

The Best Buy near me had a demo unit or two out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone's overlooking the technology that is truly game changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4-i5nRFbg

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Braincloud posted:

I just cancelled my pre-ordered phone with a December delivery date because I could pick one up in the store today. WTF.

I’ll have that sweet X in my hands this evening!

Likewise. I suppose this option is more so for folks with patience who also may live hours beyond reach of an Apple or carrier store.

Is this OLED screen actually known to cause “minor sunburn”?

Also, anyone who’s had the phone a full day now, any comments on battery life? My buddies Pixel 2 goes 2 days without a needed charge and I’m wondering how the 10 (not X, sorry) compares.

I also agree with not having an issue with the larger screen, but drat so far this phone seems sleek as gently caress.

Edit: grammar

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lox posted:

Is this OLED screen actually know to cause “minor sunburn”?

no, man, it's a joke.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Pivo posted:

no, man, it's a joke.

After Samsung’s started exploding it’s hard to tell these days

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Return yours I think it’s defective. I just have a bunch of small holes in my facial hair.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Don Lapre posted:

Are iphone X sales not what they expected? Looks like I can walk into any apple store in my area and just walk out with one.

Ya wow. Holy poo poo. I just checked in my area and I can walk into the Apple Store at the Rich People Mall and just get one...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're completely sold out here according to the website, and there's five or six Apple Stores within 30 minutes of me, so it varies, I guess

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

They're completely sold out here according to the website, and there's five or six Apple Stores within 30 minutes of me, so it varies, I guess

Ya - every store in my area (west coast, big city) has them.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

12 stores in the DC area are all out of stock.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
In case people are wondering, I have only had FaceID fail twice. It’s been working fine through my polarized sunglasses, but failed while in the shade with bright sun in the background.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Where on the website can I check for availability?

EDIT: figured it out. There’s actually some models available 2 hours away but I don’t think I want the phone that bad to cancel my preorder and drive 2 hours for a chance at this poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 4, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Where on the website can I check for availability?
Hit buy on the phone, select the one you want, then click Check Availability

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Two brothers (not twins) have already managed to trick Face ID

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Two brothers (not twins) have already managed to trick Face ID

Source? Curious to see commentary on that.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Dick Nipples posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/04/face-id-brothers-video/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dick Nipples posted:

Spoilers: it’s bad.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
lmao, I talked Joe into posting that. Apple has been so open and honest with the fact that facial similarities between siblings/twins will likely fool Face ID, but sure enough, that post is getting shared like a MOTHERFUCKER. Few things bring more joy to the internet than a perceived chink in Apple's armor.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm walking around the mall seeing all these dipshit button-havers using old bitch iPhones and it makes me loving sick

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Can someone with an X test something for me:

If you're sitting at a table and you want to unlock your phone, which is also sitting face up on the table right in front of you, can you do that without picking up the phone?

Selane
May 19, 2006

lox posted:

Also, anyone who’s had the phone a full day now, any comments on battery life? My buddies Pixel 2 goes 2 days without a needed charge and I’m wondering how the 10 (not X, sorry) compares.

Noticeably better than my (non-giant)7, that’s for sure.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bobfather posted:

If you're sitting at a table and you want to unlock your phone, which is also sitting face up on the table right in front of you, can you do that without picking up the phone?

Or you can loom over it weirdly. But no, mine won’t unlock when my face is like, perpendicular to it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Love everything about the phone even more than expected, except for the pink hue on the screen when shifting off-axis. My day one impression: this application of OLED seems no worse or better than new iPhone LCDs — the deep blacks and vibrant colors are very nice but the color shifting is not. I imagine it'll become less of a deal for me as the new phone thing goes away. Everything else about the phone rules so far (oh also except the placement of control center).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bobfather posted:

no you can't do it while it's lying down unless you get over it; you can be around 40-50 degrees off axis. i haven't tried it from a side angle, but sitting straight up, i have to angle it about 40 to 50 degrees before it unlocks. at 30-ish degrees, FaceID sees my face, but complains and says 'Face not recognized'. if you're trying Apple Pay it will stay there, not recognizing you. if you are trying to unlock the home screen, it forgets about not recognizing you, and does unlock, once you angle it more.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
My only issue with Face ID so far is that I have to lift my head off the pillow a bit when laying on my side in bed. But that’s whatever.

I tried to compare unlock speed with my iPhone 6s but it was too hard to time it properly so I’m just giving up and saying that it might be slower but it’s fast enough that it’s not annoying at all. Certainly faster than my iPad, which I think has the same Touch ID sensor as the 6s so what’s up with that Tim. No issues with having to look at it in some specific angle or anything to get it to register. I just pick it up and swipe up and I’m in.

The awareness stuff is really nice. My phone doesn’t go dim when I’m reading something so I can actually leave the battery saving features on without being annoyed by it. I was watching TV last night and wasn’t looking at my phone as 1Password opened and it just sat there nicely waiting for me to look at it before unlocking :3

Neat phone.

Is there a way to increase the force touch feedback? It feels quite a bit stronger on my 6s and I think that’s because I changed some setting years ago, but I can’t find it and Settings.app search is still really bad.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

dc3k posted:

Is there a way to increase the force touch feedback? It feels quite a bit stronger on my 6s and I think that’s because I changed some setting years ago, but I can’t find it and Settings.app search is still really bad.

General > accessibility > 3D Touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

puppy party posted:

General > accessibility > 3D Touch

Ah I meant the haptic feedback. Like the little thud it makes when you 3D Touch an icon. The touch sensitivity itself is fine.

Maybe it’s never been a setting and I’m just misremembering things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯