Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

If the link is like knowbe4.com/you-hosed-up.html?referral=username@domain.com I would probably remove the query string or change it to something else. Or if it's a shortener like bit.ly or goo.gl you can put a + on the end to get the stats page with the full URL.

hugh.g.rection@tub.grl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yes, I work at a ski resort.

I bet things tend to snowball...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

I BET IT SUCKS DEALING WITH A POWDER OUTAGE

YOU MUST BE BOARD AT WORK A LOT

IT'S SNOW PROBLEM WE'LL JUST UPDATE THE SKI-MA

I'm sorry guys I'm having a bad week that was uncalled for

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mewse posted:

Your boss reads entire emails?

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh no, don't be silly.

After multiple bosses with the same style, it's been beaten into me that I cannot send them a multi-paragraph or nuanced email and expect a response. That poo poo better be like 2 sentences tops and end with a yes or no question. Anything that can't be done in that format needs to be relayed face to face.

anthonypants posted:

Or if it's a shortener like bit.ly or goo.gl you can put a + on the end to get the stats page with the full URL.

whoa I never knew about this :aaaaa:

Sefal posted:

I've had people forward what they thought might be a malicious link to IT. "Is this is a virus?"
I liked those people

At one job, more than once the links being forwarded as suspicious were legit emails sent out by the security or IT teams :eng99: They were just atrocious at drafting emails. For example, they sent out a link to the mandatory anti-phishing course through an ESP like SendGrid or something. It rewrote the link to run through their metrics tracking domain first before redirecting to the final destination. A shitload of people reported it as suspicious, because they literally urged you to click a link to some random-rear end domain in an email telling you not to click on links to random-rear end domains. It was not a trick or test, they just legit hosed it up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

:golfclap:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
EDIT: wrong thread. I’m an idiot, and need to wake up more before posting dammit

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 4, 2017

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I like QNAPs for a small office NAS usage

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Happiness Commando posted:

I like QNAPs for a small office NAS usage

Thanks! I meant to post in the small biz administration thread so I’m hopping over there but will check out QNAP.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I would actually shy away from a NAS because those two apps are cloud based as far as I recall from talking to my father in law.

Even if they aren’t switching them to google apps(I prefer google here) or o365 and using the inbuilt file sharing features is a much smarter play. With a small consultancy like that a single office NAS is a disaster waiting to happen with from loss of the machine or just not being able to access files remote(easily) is going to be a non starter.

Single local file storage doesn’t make sense to me anymore when Dropbox/google are so cheap. Unless you are using it to store your Linux isos.

Edit: and those files are meant to be shared with external partners. Local NAS seems silly here unless they can only get dogshit dsl in the office.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 4, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here currently/formerly a junior DBA and able to shed a little light on the day to day work?

I work in a clinical informatics position at a decent sized hospital and there has been an internal job opening for a junior DBA. I have zero experience in the field but I do have a background in tech support, can use google, and can solve problems.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

DBA is a really broad field, but if they're not listing expected duties, I'd guess:
DB maintenance, making sure backups and replication are working, patching et al.
Helping on root cause analysis for incidents, with seniors taking more of the heavy lifting.
Fixing developments terrible SQL and schema design.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Don't you love it when you find issues at a new job that makes you look great? Our licensing of things in the Azure space is the loving wild west. Too many people can implement things that cost money and nobody at this point as been auditing things to make sure we are using the things we are actually paying for. I have found more than 90k a month worth of licensing we were spending on 0365 licences alone on employees that were no longer with the company. My azure audit so far is in the 150k range and growing. Developers creating virtual environments for projects that are no longer

I was nice and gave all the middle managers of these groups a heads up of my findings so that they can strategies how to explain the waste. Saying that, I met with the CIO just now and the look on his face was priceless. I can almost guarantee that if it gets to the CFO he is going have an aneurysm.

The upside is that come time for my yearly review I already have a bluechip bullet point that justifies my salary and we are just finishing month 2.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Except you’re going to get fired for not moving those pallets.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Except you’re going to get fired for not moving those pallets.

OSHA violation for not wearing PPE

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't care that it's a collaborative tool for employees or not - the fact that I can't block someone on Slack is friggin ludicrous.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There’s even more work this month than there was last month when I was basically having a breakdown. But I feel fine. Making good progress, and I have a second person who is learning how to do the reports. I’m not stressed at all. Thank you (prescribed) Ativan and upcoming week long vacation where I won’t even have my computer.

I also stopped the medication that made getting up in the morning absolute hell, so now I’m not coming in 5-15 minutes late all the time. Today I was actually early.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, we picked an interesting day to switch over to Sharepoint Online. Looks like they are having tons of problems, to the point where the healthcheck page doesn't even load properly. Sweet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, we picked an interesting day to switch over to Sharepoint Online. Looks like they are having tons of problems, to the point where the healthcheck page doesn't even load properly. Sweet.

You sure it's Microsoft and not Level 3?

http://mashable.com/2017/11/06/internet-is-down/#X3cO8G6j1Oqs

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

that article posted:

Meanwhile, Level 3 — a major ISP — told Mashable that a "configuration error" caused a 90 minute service disruption.

Didn't they blame a major outage last year on a configuration error? That they updated the config on 200 some-odd routers and broke some major backbone, resulting in other backbones folding under the pressure?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yes. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, today is a fun day. All sorts of poo poo breaking.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, we're moving to Azure AD some time next year for user self-serve password resets. We're also going to slowly move everything to authenticate against AD instead of having separate accounts for everything. Cool. I like this plan, but I have a question that I don't want to ask the higher ups.

Someone forgets their account password and locks their account out... how do they reset their password? If they can't get on the computer, they can't reset their password, correct?

We're also going to be rolling out MFA, using tokens most likely. Might be Yubikey. Will that affect the situation?

Just general stuff, obviously some is going to differ based on specific implementation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If somebody is locked out and can't remember their password, they'd need an admin to reset it for them. But that's the case with on-prem AD as well.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I figured as much. I was just hoping I'd actually be able to be free of password resets FOREVER!!!! :allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I figured as much. I was just hoping I'd actually be able to be free of password resets FOREVER!!!! :allears:

There are tools that let people do self-service password resets but I don't know if Azure AD comes with that.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Self Service Password Reset with Password Write-Back to OnPrem is definitely a thing. It's not perfect but it uses security questions/alternate email/SMS Messages to verify the user if i recall correctly. (We have it setup internally but I've not needed to use it myself).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

There are tools that let people do self-service password resets but I don't know if Azure AD comes with that.

It’s a part of AAD premium: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-passwords-getting-started

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The entire internet just poo poo itself.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Some bgp tech at level 3 now gets to talk about how he brought half the internet down in 2017 for a little bit.

edit: And also file for unemployment

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the American part.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, we're moving to Azure AD some time next year for user self-serve password resets. We're also going to slowly move everything to authenticate against AD instead of having separate accounts for everything. Cool. I like this plan, but I have a question that I don't want to ask the higher ups.

Someone forgets their account password and locks their account out... how do they reset their password? If they can't get on the computer, they can't reset their password, correct?

We're also going to be rolling out MFA, using tokens most likely. Might be Yubikey. Will that affect the situation?

Just general stuff, obviously some is going to differ based on specific implementation.

Depends which vendor you use for MFA (do not use authanvil, they are cheap but have dumb limitations)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Related: I've had Azure MFA Server live in production for 6 whole days now.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sepist posted:

Some bgp tech at level 3 now gets to talk about how he brought half the internet down in 2017 for a little bit.

It would be a good story.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

Related: I've had Azure MFA Server live in production for 6 whole days now.

The server works as LDAP/AD Proxy then trigger MFA?

God, if that ever crashes. :smith:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

anthonypants posted:

Yeah that's what he said, the internet!!!

Also, this guy's got a humdinger of an answer to the interview question "tell me about a mistake you've made and how you learned from it" now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Yeah worked fine all day up here :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah that's what he said, the internet!!!

Also, this guy's got a humdinger of an answer to the interview question "tell me about a mistake you've made and how you learned from it" now.

"I learned we actually had a Test Environment. Who knew, right?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

The server works as LDAP/AD Proxy then trigger MFA?

God, if that ever crashes. :smith:

No?

I mean, it has LDAP and RADIUS proxying as a feature, but there are failover options, and it runs in a farm. So I'm not sure where your comment is coming from.

I'm using it along side ADFS. But will probably turn on RADIUS for use with our client VPN Soon(tm)

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MF_James posted:

Depends which vendor you use for MFA (do not use authanvil, they are cheap but have dumb limitations)

qft

We rolled out Authanvil, then dropped it in less than six months for Centrify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sepist posted:

Friendly reminder that Level 3 is CenturyLink now. Get used to this, it won't be the last time.