Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had a Squad Leader who hated cadence, and hated any formation run larger than squad. We had also had a mission in Iraq where we had to sit outside a mosque every Friday for about a month to see if they were spreading anti-American rhetoric over the loud speaker. (BN originally sent us with a translator who refuse to translate any of it because they were Shia, like he was. We then had to record them to cassette and return the tapes to BN.) Seriously a stupid loving mission. So, we get back and are having a BN run. The BC gets up next to my company, and calls out my squad leader to call cadence.

Going to the Mosque
Where all the people pray
Sit outside
Listen to what they say

He was immediately told to get back in formation and never called cadence on a formation run the rest of the time I was there.

Another run, the BC called out a TL from my platoon, who literally got out beside the formation and called "Left" every third left. That was it. We had a big rear end white outlaw MC looking dude who I loved when he called cadence, because he sounded like an old slave spiritual singer while running. He was awesome at it, and made horrible things sound pretty, so he got away with 'Napalm sticks to kids'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Going to the Mosque
Where all the people pray
Sit outside
Listen to what they say

Thanks for this, I couldn't recall what the nice version of the mosque version was.

Here's my cadence story of when poo poo got real:

There'd already been some grumbling about a handful of NCOs who would use the term "ragheads" in cadences and how this was pretty hosed up. Notably, we had a couiple Muslim soldiers/NCOs/officers in the formation, some of whom wore more traditional garb when not on duty.

Finally a black NCO went out there and sand about going to the market where all the negros shop. He caught some serious hell for it, but we never sang about ragheads again.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

this one time in basic

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I don't know where else to put it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKi3NwLFkX4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Marines heard you guys were bitching about the Army, so they stepped up their game in suck-factor:

http://taskandpurpose.com/hundreds-...m_medium=social

It must be wild to enlist in a force that, by design, refuses reenlistment to 85% of its forces.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

The Marines heard you guys were bitching about the Army, so they stepped up their game in suck-factor:

http://taskandpurpose.com/hundreds-...m_medium=social

It must be wild to enlist in a force that, by design, refuses reenlistment to 85% of its forces.

300 out of 5,500 people getting the shits in basic? How the gently caress is that news? Getting sick and feeling like rear end is practically in the fine print when you sign.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Well, e.coli is a bit different than normal barracks sickness

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Barracks crud is the sniffles at best, flu at the worst. You can kinda deal with it. Having the shits that bad is a show stopper.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
When I went to basic everyone got dysentery and they were thankful

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

300 out of 5,500 people getting the shits in basic? How the gently caress is that news? Getting sick and feeling like rear end is practically in the fine print when you sign.

Please change your account name to SNCO.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah when 10 of them had to be hospitalized off base that's not exactly a case of the green apple splatters.

And then of course they still don't know what caused it, which is the worst thing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not saying they should be thankful for getting sick or to embrace the suck. Just can't think of anyone who didn't get the shits in basic when they weren't stopped up like a cork from MREs. If it is especially serious in some way I don't understand I'll accept that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, 6% of your unit having E. coli is kind of a big deal.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

They just have no heart

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

They just have no heart

Because they pooped it out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If they were yelling “please don’t NJP me!” as they pooped themselves, they would be really close to making it into the marine thread op.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love DnC and cadence and poo poo but I know how much everyone hates it so I keep that poo poo to myself.

Also very few people know the killing baby seals cadence, so it takes a minute to get called out of leading it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A IS FOR ARMY ARMY ARMY ARMY
I IS FOR ARMY ARMY ARMY ARMY
R IS FOR ARMY ARMY ARMY ARMY

Only cadence I ever called during a run. gently caress that dumb poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I love DnC and cadence and poo poo

:catstare:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
if i had platinum that poo poo would be reported

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Rhyming words is fun to do
I like rhyming, how about you?
Orange
(run in silence for next several miles)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Loved*

Sorry I grew up on old war movies and a cool Korean war Grandpa. I used to think it was really fun to see a parade and I was in marching band.

Not so much fun now, and I don't like seeing it done bad having a bad time.

E:Syringe

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
First NTC box over. Its unimaginable. Ive seen attack ships on fire near the shoulder of Orion. Ive seen more Tanks broke down at aruba gate than i thought possible. Ive seen four m1 packs being pulled and worked on at the same time by one m88 crew. Packs cooking off while towing struck Tanks, flames shooting out of the bitch plate seams. Crazy UCMP cooks shoot anything and everything, never failing to open up on a OC driving by. our Vehicle slant was at best ~55 %, BATTALION level, and apparently ours was the best in brigade. And all this without leaving UCMP for ten days Because my tank was and is a sad wreck. US Army never fails to amaze.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hear Vahakyla had a good couple of weeks, though.

edit: Also not to go full :nsa: but probably keep operational readiness ratings in general terms.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 5, 2017

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Sounds like we're in great shape to invade North Korea!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Oh and we jackknifed a m1a2 towing another by going down steep slope. BDE safety said we need breaker tank when towing. "no more towbars because neighbor BN stole ours during rail unload" was apparently irrelevant argument.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Valtonen posted:

Oh and we jackknifed a m1a2 towing another by going down steep slope. BDE safety said we need breaker tank when towing. "no more towbars because neighbor BN stole ours during rail unload" was apparently irrelevant argument.

Not gonna lie, it sounds like BDE safety is correct here.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Not gonna lie, it sounds like BDE safety is correct here.

Oh yes, by the TM you always have a break tank when towing one tank with another. In reality when your platoon has 2 tanks down and the 88 is already towing another 88 that broke down and you have 2 tow bars total....

Ive never seen anyone use one

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Are you another 19A? If so kind of weird how many of us are in GIP, definitely have to be the most numerous officer MOS

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Who me? No, 19K, tanked with Leo 2a4s for FDF '07-08 and started playing with m1a2s for this circus graduating february

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Your Battle Buddy posted:

if i had platinum that poo poo would be reported

I got you

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Spacetoaster, how's the teaching thing working out for you so far? Substitute teaching, then going to get your certification after you clear? It's an area I've started to look into, myself.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

Spacetoaster, how's the teaching thing working out for you so far? Substitute teaching, then going to get your certification after you clear? It's an area I've started to look into, myself.

I've been doing it off and on, as "real" work permits for a couple weeks now.

It's really great so far.

I wrote this earlier:

spacetoaster posted:

I've started taking time off to go and substitute teach elementary school and I'll be headed to college to get my certification once I'm done with Army.

Teachers don't even pull into the parking lot until 0745 (so I'll be doing the gym stuff that I want to do before work) and are pulling out of the parking lot before 1500 most days.

I just want to add that teaching also gets you weekends, holidays, and summers off and there is a literal 800 pound gorilla of a union protecting you.

Also as a man, administrators will literally fight over you, parents want their kids in your class, and you're the defacto coolest teacher in the school (to the kids).

ALSO, if you're single, elementary schools are packed with 25ish year old single women who just finished graduate school (and the single mom's will try to jump you too).

It's still pretty early into this thing, but so far it's a ton of fun and interesting.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 6, 2017

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are you looking at doing elementary? High school? Any subject preferences? I'm toying with the idea of doing high school math/science. I've always liked those subjects, the hours are pretty sweet, and it'd be kind of nice to do something that actually has a positive impact on people for once.

edit: Ah-ha, you snuck some info in there. Gotchya.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

Are you looking at doing elementary? High school? Any subject preferences? I'm toying with the idea of doing high school math/science. I've always liked those subjects, the hours are pretty sweet, and it'd be kind of nice to do something that actually has a positive impact on people for once.

edit: Ah-ha, you snuck some info in there. Gotchya.

I've worked with high school kids and that's cool, but I feel like the coolest job is the little kids.

I like working with 6 year olds because I've been in the Army 21 years and it's nice to have an intelligent conversation for once.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

spacetoaster posted:

I like working with 6 year olds because I've been in the Army 21 years and it's nice to have an intelligent conversation for once.

:vince:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

spacetoaster posted:

Too long for a thread title?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

spacetoaster posted:

I've worked with high school kids and that's cool, but I feel like the coolest job is the little kids.

Well, you joke but paradigm shift is loving hilarious when kids just ask questions like “Why do we do this?” Or “why are you naked at 4 AM holding a long sword and a ketchup bottle?”

Plus they flat out so hilarious things. My 3 1/2 y/o son called my wife a “loving bitch” the other day. I never use that word cause my wife hates it. He wasn’t even mad, he said “Thanks you loving bitch!” When she changed his diaper.

This boy also went trick or treating for the first time. I got to go and he loved it. It was adorable watching him run around trick or treating. We get home and take his candy away, mainly to check for homemade stuff (not for drugs because who the gently caress gives drugs away, but Makowski made me scared) and my wife said that Santa took them away and that if he was good, Santa would bring candy in the morning. This dude runs over to the fire place and screams into it “Santa! You cheated me!” What the gently caress? How’d you learn that phrase dude? He’s awesome.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Vengarr posted:

Too long for a thread title?

Unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn it.

Reports are the loving worst and I don’t like having to respond to them in the mod forum.

Just know I hate the reporter way more than the reportee 99.9% of the time.