Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:retrogames:
I took the pilgrimage down to control since I'm in town for a conference. Nice little shop, four pretty fulsome euro displays, used stuff behind glass, small keyboard/desktop space. Picked up the new doepfer trapezoid TZVCO and xaoc 8-bit adc/dac module. :stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

he1ixx posted:

If I want to get away from the computer for a bit, I'm thinking about adding a Beatstep Pro to do the sequencing.
Can't say too much about modulars but the Beatstep Pro is a pretty ace piece of equipment, especially with the latest software that allows for pattern chaining and scenes.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This reminded me to finally put up my BSP for sale before I have to move: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839292

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm in the market for a eurorack-powersupply. I haven't planned the rack out so I don't know exactly how much power it'll need.

How big would you go for 104hp with a mix of digital and analog modules?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Pondex posted:

I'm in the market for a eurorack-powersupply. I haven't planned the rack out so I don't know exactly how much power it'll need.

I tried a bunch of cheap power supplies and had no end of trouble (noise) until I found malekko's power solution. It's a hybrid switching supply with linear regulators in 4 isolated sections, so if you have noisy modules you can insulate them from your analog oscillators or w/e. It also runs off of a power brick, so you don't have to deal with wiring mains a/c.

Probably a bit overspecced for 104hp, though. I use two of them for 416hp.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
https://vimeo.com/240805411

Cool poo poo. I lust after Hordijk's stuff. One day... :allears:.

More here.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I built a Benjolin last month @ a workshop and it is the coolest thing

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Mr. Glass posted:

I tried a bunch of cheap power supplies and had no end of trouble (noise) until I found malekko's power solution. It's a hybrid switching supply with linear regulators in 4 isolated sections, so if you have noisy modules you can insulate them from your analog oscillators or w/e. It also runs off of a power brick, so you don't have to deal with wiring mains a/c.

Probably a bit overspecced for 104hp, though. I use two of them for 416hp.

Yeah, it might be a bit overkill. I have a 208hp case, but I figured it was better to start with one row of modules. This sounds like it has room to grow though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Pondex posted:

Yeah, it might be a bit overkill. I have a 208hp case, but I figured it was better to start with one row of modules. This sounds like it has room to grow though.

yeah, i'd definitely recommend it if you're planning on expanding to 208hp. it's a little pricier than other power supplies, but worth it imo.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pondex posted:

I recently put a Furman power conditioner between the wall and my rack - sound is much clearer.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pondex posted:

Depending on your taste in modules (analog v digital, 5v or not)... I'd spec about 1amp +12v for every row, 500ma -12. and 5v. Less 5 and more -12 if you prefer analog stuff.

I tend to run under that myself but I have have an affinity for large faceplate analog stuff. You also wanna overspec power, the numbers people put out don't measure consistent things (like some things will crash if they can't pull a big current draw on startup, and LEDs can have a big impact) and when you get near the limits you start stressing stuff a lot more which can lead to noise and glitches on the module side or failure (shutdown or worst case - fire, sparks) on the power supply side

Good call on the case - I thought 104 was gonna be fine for a very long time, then I started building stuff.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I have a Roland SC-55 MkII on the way right now and I'm looking up USB-MIDI interfaces. What do I need to keep in mind and what would the thread recommend?

I'm looking on something capable that won't break the bank for both playback and composition.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
How many more devices do you plan on adding eventually?

I've got a MOTU Express 128 and an Alyseum 88c. The latter is superseded by the U3-88c and it's quite a bit cheaper than the MOTU, but the setup is a bit more wonky and you don't have blinkenlights. You have an iConnect 4 in/out which also works for iPads but it costs more than the U3-88c. There's the MOTU Micro-Lite which has 5 in, 5 out which is cheaper than the iConnect, but like the Express, it won't work standalone.

If you need ridiculously strict timing, get an Expert Sleepers USAMO.

Beware of really cheap 1 in, 1 out USB interfaces - they may still only have drivers for Windows XP or something stupid like that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Second MOTUs. I can huck giant sysex/SDS and they don't barf. No futzing with buffer sizes etc.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Laserjet 4P posted:

How many more devices do you plan on adding eventually?

I've got a MOTU Express 128 and an Alyseum 88c. The latter is superseded by the U3-88c and it's quite a bit cheaper than the MOTU, but the setup is a bit more wonky and you don't have blinkenlights. You have an iConnect 4 in/out which also works for iPads but it costs more than the U3-88c. There's the MOTU Micro-Lite which has 5 in, 5 out which is cheaper than the iConnect, but like the Express, it won't work standalone.

If you need ridiculously strict timing, get an Expert Sleepers USAMO.

Beware of really cheap 1 in, 1 out USB interfaces - they may still only have drivers for Windows XP or something stupid like that.

I'll look into this since I'm planning on having a few more in the future so I'm probably gonna get a box later, but for now, I want get a smaller box or device with one in-out like the official Roland ones (UM-ONE MkII).

Will definitely look into the ones you recommended since I need something without latency for recording live tracks. I hate it that I don't have the good enough CPU to handle it on my laptop alone.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 3, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'll look into this since I'm planning on having a few more in the future so I'm probably gonna get a box later, but for now, I want get a smaller box or device with one in-out like the official Roland ones (UM-ONE MkII).

Will definitely look into the ones you recommended since I need something without latency for recording live tracks. I hate it that I don't have the good enough CPU to handle it on my laptop alone.

Even the old MIDISport 4x4 USB interfaces have good timing, I’ve owned several over the years (and 3 at once). They’re not as good as the MoTU units though, get one of those if you basically never want to buy another one.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

JamesKPolk posted:

Good call on the case - I thought 104 was gonna be fine for a very long time, then I started building stuff.

It turns out an old trumpet-case you find on the side of the road will fit two rows of 104hp exactly. So that's what I'm going with. :)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Question regarding electronics:

Since I'm ordering my device from Japan and I'm going to be using it in UK, what sort of transformer or stepup/down do I need? Not too sure about polarity tbh, but I think center negative?

HandlingByJebus posted:

Even the old MIDISport 4x4 USB interfaces have good timing, I’ve owned several over the years (and 3 at once). They’re not as good as the MoTU units though, get one of those if you basically never want to buy another one.

I think I'll go for one of these first before moving onto a MOTU. 4X4 is honestly quite enough for a starter like me.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 3, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Question regarding electronics:

Since I'm ordering my device from Japan and I'm going to be using it in UK, what sort of transformer or stepup/down do I need? Not too sure about polarity tbh, but I think center negative?

Japan is 110 and most Japanese electronics don’t have a ground plug. There are exceptions, though, so check your specific device. When you get a step down transformer, make sure it can handle the wattage your gear pulls.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also step down transformers can be a bit of a hassle for audio because the large ones emit a noticeable hum.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I decided to go for a separate power supply since it's just a plug and not an AC unity. If it was a playstation I would've been bought a transformer, but a 9V +500mA center negative plug should just do the job. I'm guessing that may not be the case for older stuff or more chunkier gear though.

Are there Japanese synth out there besides the sound canvases that would justify getting a stepdown for? I haven't really noticed any.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

For what it is, that Roland one is a good one.

Though MIDI latency is generally negligible compared to audio latency if you're not using an audio interface with low latency drivers (ASIO if you're on Windows) and a DIN MIDI to USB interface will not solve the latter at all. Are you sure MIDI latency is the problem you're trying to solve, because it kinda sounds like you're talking about audio latency (as well).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I decided to go for a separate power supply since it's just a plug and not an AC unity. If it was a playstation I would've been bought a transformer, but a 9V +500mA center negative plug should just do the job. I'm guessing that may not be the case for older stuff or more chunkier gear though.

Are there Japanese synth out there besides the sound canvases that would justify getting a stepdown for? I haven't really noticed any.

No idea, I don’t own much in the way of hardware synths. I just had to go through that whole thing with my recording gear a few years ago when I moved from the USA to Australia, then earlier this year to Japan, and now to Germany.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Did anybody here ever pick up a Digitakt, and if so, how have you found it?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

ynohtna posted:

As mentioned before, the AN1x's thick rich tones, arpeggiator & ribbon controller might scratch your itch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV062iZ711E
Quite under-rated and under-priced on the second-hand market*.

*Jexus not included.

I have been looking, but again, I can't find a single one of these for sale. However, I have found a very cheap and usable USB to MIDI-host converter available locally: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter?keyword=MIDI%20host

good jovi posted:

Get a Roland D-05 plus whatever hardware you need to hook your keyboard up directly.

I've been looking at D-50 demos and it sounds great, but probably more along the vaporwave/dreamy 80's synthpop route than what I'm after. I keep referring to songs with sounds that I like, but all are heavily sequenced through something like FL Studio. I wonder if it might be a better choice to concentrate things I can actually play!

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but can someone give me an example of an "every day" modular synth 'piece of music', controlled by midi which is more than just bleeps and bloops?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I have been looking, but again, I can't find a single one of these for sale.

The script I’ve had analyzing a bunch of synth gear on eBay for the last four years tells me you’ll see a new one roughly every fortnight with a recent median price of around $575. Of all the 90s “vintage” synths from the more prominent manufacturers it’s probably the hardest to find a good example of on the used market. I don’t know whether that’s because people just don’t want to get rid of them or Yamaha didn’t make many.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Trig Discipline posted:

No idea, I don’t own much in the way of hardware synths. I just had to go through that whole thing with my recording gear a few years ago when I moved from the USA to Australia, then earlier this year to Japan, and now to Germany.

Good point. I decided to get the 9V supply but got a friend to send a transformer, but I don't see myself using it unless I'm moving somewhere else and need to use my stuff.

Flipperwaldt posted:

For what it is, that Roland one is a good one.

Though MIDI latency is generally negligible compared to audio latency if you're not using an audio interface with low latency drivers (ASIO if you're on Windows) and a DIN MIDI to USB interface will not solve the latter at all. Are you sure MIDI latency is the problem you're trying to solve, because it kinda sounds like you're talking about audio latency (as well).

I'll keep this in mind for the future. The smaller boxes with DIN input seem pretty good and I can supply MIDI devices with seperate power supply too. My controllers always had delay when inputting through USB, so I got one with optional DIN MIDI out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

My controllers always had delay when inputting through USB, so I got one with optional DIN MIDI out.
If you're hitting a note on your midi controller that is being sent to a software synthesizer or a sampler or whatever, and the sound starts playing half a second later, that's audio latency, a problem which needs an audio interface to solve. A midi to usb adapter will do nothing to solve that. I'm re-iterating this because I'm still not convinced that's not the problem you're actually trying to solve. I'd be really sad if you were betting on this move to din and came out of it concluding that maybe your computer is to slow for either type of connection without realizing that the magic is in the audio driver as far as instant computer generated sound (or live preview of effects on input sound) goes even if there's a midi trigger involved.

If it really isn't and couldn't be your problem, fair enough.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
synths: The script I’ve had analyzing a bunch of synth gear on eBay for the last four years

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Plavski posted:

Did anybody here ever pick up a Digitakt, and if so, how have you found it?

I have one and I'm actually thinking about selling it for an mpc live since I'm looking for more of a central control unit that isn't so geared towards techno

also there are still quite a few bugs with it, the content browser kinda sucks, and while I was hoping that these things would have been addressed by now along with overbridge all the mk2 devices have made it feel like they've abandoned it, or at least made it a low priority

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hug a mexican posted:

synths: The script I’ve had analyzing a bunch of synth gear on eBay for the last four years

Hey it’s a hobby. :colbert:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're hitting a note on your midi controller that is being sent to a software synthesizer or a sampler or whatever, and the sound starts playing half a second later, that's audio latency, a problem which needs an audio interface to solve. A midi to usb adapter will do nothing to solve that.

Seconding this.

Uncle Kitchener: Keep in mind that an audio interface is not like buying a faster nVidia card or something though. All the magic is in the fact that instead of having to punch through half a dozen software layers, APIs and whatnot, the OS gets lowlevel direct access to the sound hardware. How many tracks of Serum you can run still depends on your CPU and it helps to follow the stuff in https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I wonder if it might be a better choice to concentrate things I can actually play!

That sounds crazy, everything can be solved with throwing money away so go buy a Deckard's Dream. Only $3750 (Someone buy me one, Jesus Christ).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So after posting 'show me a song without bleeps' I thought that was pretty stupid, so I have done more digging around modular. I found some pretty awful stuff and found the more uptempo, edgy synthwave/dreadwave stuff is quite achievable. This video decided me, a 10 minute 'challenge' where someone builds a song from scratch. Clearly he has his patches ready, but it did reveal to me how it's possible to make 'a song' in a style I really like even without a keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaw_6XGLPo

So from this and a few others I've realised that what I want out of a modular system initially is a bass voice, a melody voice, and a percussion voice that can be predefined in pitch and arrangement. After that, it's all fair game. I would appreciate if someone could correct any of my misconceptions! For basic sound it seems that an Oscillator + Envelope Filter + VCA is required. To arrange sounds into melodies I'll need a clock/clock-divider, sequencer and a pitch quantizer (?). Drum/Sample modules are just a matter of personal choice, it seems, and I already have guitar pedals for delay and reverb (for now)

- I take it that I need to have two modules for melody/bass sounds? I don't want a simple octave-down. Is there something I need to look for to avoid the 'p-p-p-p-p' I hear when I turn the pitch down on synth instruments into lower octaves?

- It seems that a Pressure Points and Brains are a go-to for sequencing pitch, altering it and providing a gate, but am I overlooking something? The Doepfer A-155/154 seem to do the same sequencing but can't be 'played' at all, despite having 8 steps instead of four. Is there something in between?

- In terms of sequencing a whole song, it sppears I can look at either simply subdividing the clock and then piping that into something that will turn on/off parts of the instrumentation and pitch shift, or some dedicated hardware. The Arturia Beatstep Pro seems like a natural choice, but it's not exactly the kind of dial/patch/button thing I was after. Are there any rack-mounted alternatives that aren't as expensive as the Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms? It seems like a no-brainer easy-mode, but is also more than £600.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

So after posting 'show me a song without bleeps' I thought that was pretty stupid, so I have done more digging around modular. I found some pretty awful stuff

The modular scene in a nutshell

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

So after posting 'show me a song without bleeps' I thought that was pretty stupid, so I have done more digging around modular. I found some pretty awful stuff and found the more uptempo, edgy synthwave/dreadwave stuff is quite achievable. This video decided me, a 10 minute 'challenge' where someone builds a song from scratch. Clearly he has his patches ready, but it did reveal to me how it's possible to make 'a song' in a style I really like even without a keyboard:

I don't want to turn you off from modular but it's worth keeping in mind that Colin's setup is like $45k+. I get the draw for modular (I have 208hp myself) but it sounds like you maybe want a groove box type setup and that's going to be infinitely cheaper if you just pickup a Circuit, an Elektron device, or stay in the box with a Push. Just for perspective, a Cirklon + a knobby poly + drum machine of your choice + a few mono synths + a shitload of pedals + a new Toyota to haul it all around in is going to be cheaper than his setup.

Having some modular (or semi modulars) to patch and tweak is hella fun but writing full interesting/complex songs is going to be a very expensive endevour. I mainly treat mine like an audio zen garden and sample fodder. I love it for that but there's no way I could write a full song on it in any realistic way--especially if I wanted more of a traditional song structure and less of just open ended jam.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Southern Heel posted:

So from this and a few others I've realised that what I want out of a modular system initially is a bass voice, a melody voice, and a percussion voice that can be predefined in pitch and arrangement. After that, it's all fair game. I would appreciate if someone could correct any of my misconceptions! For basic sound it seems that an Oscillator + Envelope Filter + VCA is required. To arrange sounds into melodies I'll need a clock/clock-divider, sequencer and a pitch quantizer (?). Drum/Sample modules are just a matter of personal choice, it seems, and I already have guitar pedals for delay and reverb (for now)

- I take it that I need to have two modules for melody/bass sounds? I don't want a simple octave-down. Is there something I need to look for to avoid the 'p-p-p-p-p' I hear when I turn the pitch down on synth instruments into lower octaves?

- It seems that a Pressure Points and Brains are a go-to for sequencing pitch, altering it and providing a gate, but am I overlooking something? The Doepfer A-155/154 seem to do the same sequencing but can't be 'played' at all, despite having 8 steps instead of four. Is there something in between?

- In terms of sequencing a whole song, it sppears I can look at either simply subdividing the clock and then piping that into something that will turn on/off parts of the instrumentation and pitch shift, or some dedicated hardware. The Arturia Beatstep Pro seems like a natural choice, but it's not exactly the kind of dial/patch/button thing I was after. Are there any rack-mounted alternatives that aren't as expensive as the Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms? It seems like a no-brainer easy-mode, but is also more than £600.
Yeah, Colin Benders is awesome! Check out his own youtube channel too. He’s got a lot of jams there as well as videos where he shows in more detail how he builds songs on the modular.

- For melody sequencing I would consider options that provide you with several tracks since you are planning on having at least two (bass+melody). I have a Stilson Hammer mk2 that I’m pretty happy with (after using Rene + a PP with Brains) but there are other options out there as well. The Hammer does 4 tracks with pitch and gate and if you have leftover tracks, they can always be used to sequence drums or do cv step modulation of whatever.

- A lot of sequencers (like Hammer and Rene) and some VCOs (digitals mostly like Braids and Klavis Twin Waves) have built-in quantizator. I’ve managed without a dedicated one this far.

- For long-rear end sequencing that is synced to a tempo, like changing a song’s structure, I’d take a look at Pamela`s Workout or Ornaments+Crime. Haven’t used either one but they might work... But doing this isn’t something I’d worry about yet since I would advise you to first get hands on with evolving the songs manually before automating it to get a better feel for what your exact requirements will be...

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

The total setup on display here costs quite a bit though, $10K is lowballing it.

quote:

For basic sound it seems that an Oscillator + Envelope Filter + VCA is required. To arrange sounds into melodies I'll need a clock/clock-divider, sequencer and a pitch quantizer (?). Drum/Sample modules are just a matter of personal choice, it seems, and I already have guitar pedals for delay and reverb (for now)

It is a good idea to convert a simple fixed architecture hardware synth to an equivalent set of modules. If you bought a Monologue, a Microbrute and some drum machine, how would this translate to modules? The answer is more costly than you think :v:

A single synthesizer voice is at least one oscillator. For two oscs you already need a mixer. For envelopes for both filter and amp, you need at least an AD and an ADSR or so, and a VCF and a VCA. When you want to route multiple signals: more mixers are needed, or passive or active mults. Of course you don’t want that LFO (whelp, another module) to be set at eleven all the time and your oscillator only has a pitch CV in, so add a set of attenuators (combined with an inverter they are the attenuverter which is basically a multiplier that goes from -1 to 1).

Now you need two of those because bass and melody, and you don’t even have a sequencer yet. Each drum sound itself can be a small synth voice - that is how the 808 and 909 do it - but you can also just get a sampling drum machine like an Electribe or so.

Quantizers are there to clean up badly regulated (pitch) voltages. An LFO through a quantizer can act as a pseudo sequencer kind of thing. Autotune for VCOs with custom scales.

quote:

Is there something I need to look for to avoid the 'p-p-p-p-p' I hear when I turn the pitch down on synth instruments into lower octaves?

Not sure if I understand but that ticking is what saw waves do. Saw waves make excellent clock sources too.

Turn an oscilloscope 90 degrees clockwise and it describes the back/forth motion a speaker makes. Saw is basically going forward and then snapping back to zero virtually immediately.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I’m really considering selling my minilogue to help fund getting a Deepmind 6. I have a sub 37 that made me sort of dislike the way the mini sounds, and I want a few more voices for bigger chords and stuff. Stupid idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bolange posted:

I don't want to turn you off from modular but it's worth keeping in mind that Colin's setup is like $45k+. I get the draw for modular (I have 208hp myself) but it sounds like you maybe want a groove box type setup and that's going to be infinitely cheaper if you just pickup a Circuit, an Elektron device, or stay in the box with a Push. Just for perspective, a Cirklon + a knobby poly + drum machine of your choice + a few mono synths + a shitload of pedals + a new Toyota to haul it all around in is going to be cheaper than his setup.

Laserjet 4P posted:

The total setup on display here costs quite a bit though, $10K is lowballing it.

Sorry, without a frame of reference I didn't realise that was the rolls-royce of modulars though obviously expensive. I guess the thing that really stuck out to me was how this wasn't JUST knob fiddling ring modulated bleeps - there were definite harmonies and melodies. The fact he could bring in and out voices and had an idea of where it was going was just icing on the cake. If to match the base functionality (if not the specific gear) is going to be thousands, rather than hundreds - then maybe I truly am better off getting smaller bits and connecting them together. Would it just be a case of getting as you say, a couple of midi synths and drum machines, linking them together and just seeing what's up? Or do I need to bear other more specific things in mind like compatibility? I've just about got my head around how I can sequence pitch/etc. in modular but haven't got the foggiest how I'd do it with something like the beatstep pro. I guess a JDXi and a midi host to connect my full-size keyboard might just be a better idea overall?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 5, 2017