Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

I was about to say it's too early for GV102, but Nvidia is so far ahead I wouldn't put it past them to release GV104 as a Titan :lol:

Its just a tease also. could be coming q1 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Probably the way the mechanical wheels and pulleys were set up on the first airplanes, and then kept that way for tradition. Also probably explains the elevator.

Well, you also don't "turn" a plane via rudders in anything other than a video game because doing so puts a ton of stress on things and they're just not designed that way, and it honestly doesn't even work as well as you'd think. Instead, you use rudders to fix alignment issues, and due to the way alignment is displayed (usually a little white ball in a tube ala a bubble level), fixing out of alignment issues has you "step on the ball" (eg, if the ball is out to the left, add left rudder). So it actually ends up being quite sensible in practice.

As for the elevator, it's really uncomfortable to have to push forward to go up: doing so requires you to push your arms out while the rest of your body wants to tilt backwards (and vice versa for going down). Inverted controls means you keep your arms and body both going in the same direction together, which is a much more natural feeling.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Phosphine posted:

I'm gonna blow all y'all minds here: my girlfriend is playing Super Mario Odyssey right now, and she inverted the camera-stick HORIZONTALLY as well. I have no idea what the gently caress. Sever, i guess.

this was the standard in a lot of 3d japanese games when having a moveable camera was quite a new thing. i think wind waker did this on the gamecube? it makes sense academically if you think of it as moving the camera itself in a circle round your character as opposed to moving the direction the camera is pointing. so you tilt the stick left and the camera moves left in a circle around your character, revealing stuff that's to the right.

well, it makes sense academically, then you try to use it and it feels utterly hosed up and wrong if you grew up with mouselook or any western console games

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rastor posted:

Raja is never going to be allowed to come back from his sabbatical

Maybe likely. AMD just hired ex-Micron CEO Mark Durcan. https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/11/01/1172200/0/en/AMD-Appoints-Mark-Durcan-to-Board-of-Directors.html

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wolfenstein 2s performance really is bizarre

:thunk:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I don't get why they still benchmark with Fury, there can't be more than like 10 of those out in the wild, right?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero VGS posted:

I don't get why they still benchmark with Fury, there can't be more than like 10 of those out in the wild, right?

Still more relevant than Vega. :v:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kind of cool to see something really using 8GB cards. Even the 6GB 980 Ti falls down.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AMD™ FineWine™ (offer not valid for AMD™ Fury™ products)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wonder if Volta will be able to drive Pimax 8k X

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Still more relevant than Vega. :v:

Jokes aside, it looks like Vega 54 is finally at $399 and 64 at $499. Thats spot on comparable to the 1070 and 1080 respectively. If you really don't care about power or thermals, they are probably good buys... but you really should care about power and thermals.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

craig588 posted:

Kind of cool to see something really using 8GB cards. Even the 6GB 980 Ti falls down.

I agree

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Something something its playable on...Hawaii?? What witchcraft is this???

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Cygni posted:

Jokes aside, it looks like Vega 54 is finally at $399 and 64 at $499. Thats spot on comparable to the 1070 and 1080 respectively. If you really don't care about power or thermals, they are probably good buys... but you really should care about power and thermals.

Huh look at that. Started yesterday. Guess they got the memo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the Fury drops are more inexplicable than the 980ti drop

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the Fury drops are more inexplicable than the 980ti drop

It's probably hitting swap. Fury X is 4GB vram, 980 Ti is 6GB vram, I assume every other card is at least the 8GB variant because the 580 comes in 4GB and 8GB.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

I have one :v:

In my defense it was really, really cheap.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

SlayVus posted:

It's probably hitting swap. Fury X is 4GB vram, 980 Ti is 6GB vram, I assume every other card is at least the 8GB variant because the 580 comes in 4GB and 8GB.

Well then the 970 must get extra owned super hard with that 3.5GB. The general consensus on the 390 line was that "lol you'll run out of processing looooong before you hit that 8GB vram limit" and its still mostly true but holy crap to outpace 980ti by that much in the second graph??

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think really interesting would be comparing a Titan Black, a 980 ti, and both 3 and 6GB versions of the 1060. Find out when performance runs out before memory does.

I was one of the people long advocating that you'd run out of performance before running out of memory and it wasn't worth even spending 30 dollars for a higher memory model. Although it's just one game it'll be useful new evidence for people working on a budget since there's now at least 2 games that have any real difference. (The other being Shadow of Mordor and War which had stuttering while moving the camera fast on lower memory cards and none on high memory cards)

craig588 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 3, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

craig588 posted:

I think really interesting would be comparing a Titan Black, a 980 ti, and both 3 and 6GB versions of the 1060. Find out when performance runs out before memory does.

I was one of the people long advocating that you'd run out of performance before running out of memory and it wasn't worth even spending 30 dollars for a higher memory model. Although it's just one game it'll be useful new evidence for people working on a budget since there's now at least 2 games that have any real difference. (The other being Shadow of Mordor and War which had stuttering while moving the camera fast on lower memory cards and none on high memory cards)

Me too. Because it was very true, back in the 700 series and 280xs and what not especially. This day was coming eventually though.

Should be noted that its still 4k ultra thats running them out of ram but the 980ti in particular had very playable fps. Though im guessing turning down the 8x AA would alleviate that one

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
QHD is only 2560x1440

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 8xAA isn't as scary as it sounds either, it's not MSAA. That's just what Id calls their Temporal AA solution.

it's fast

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

To me that graph shows that the bottleneck is outside of AA for doom, but regardless you're right TSAA is one of the easy ones and QHD isnt 4k lol.

I meant to say 980ti + 390x as well though that just made me think, did they ever make a XFX 390X 4GB? I swear I thought they were all 8gb. If not perhaps there's something else happening. Some kind of obscure feature that didnt exist between the 390x/980ti and the following gens?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

To me that graph shows that the bottleneck is outside of AA for doom, but regardless you're right TSAA is one of the easy ones and QHD isnt 4k lol.

I meant to say 980ti + 390x as well though that just made me think, did they ever make a XFX 390X 4GB? I swear I thought they were all 8gb. If not perhaps there's something else happening. Some kind of obscure feature that didnt exist between the 390x/980ti and the following gens?

There were some 4 GB 390s released in China.

It was pretty clear from day 1 that the Fury X's VRAM capacity was going to be a problem for its longevity. It's just a little bit :chloe: to see it start appearing at 1440p too.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Lack of sleep is getting to me, I didnt even notice the 580 doing the same thing. Im actually going to guess thats an 8gb too, since the 390x almost has to be based on the model. Unless there is some feature that Pascal had that Maxwell did not, and that AMD doesn't have at all, I can't explain those differences. I bet there are easy answers in that article too but its loading terribly for me and also not english.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This may be a stupid question, I don't know. I've been debating building a new PC the past few weeks. I have a Samsung KS8500 tv that I also use as a monitor. (Also a 24-inch LED-backlit screen (1920x1200) 60Hz monitor. ) I just realized that, "Although the KS8500 has a 120Hz panel, it does not display a 120Hz signal." So if I want to do 4k gaming or whatever through a PC it will be at 60Hz.

How does this affect my GPU selection, if at all, not being able to do 4k at 120Hz? I've been bouncing between a 1070, 1080 and 1080ti.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

katkillad2 posted:

This may be a stupid question, I don't know. I've been debating building a new PC the past few weeks. I have a Samsung KS8500 tv that I also use as a monitor. (Also a 24-inch LED-backlit screen (1920x1200) 60Hz monitor. ) I just realized that, "Although the KS8500 has a 120Hz panel, it does not display a 120Hz signal." So if I want to do 4k gaming or whatever through a PC it will be at 60Hz.

How does this affect my GPU selection, if at all, not being able to do 4k at 120Hz? I've been bouncing between a 1070, 1080 and 1080ti.

Effectively you have a 60 Hz panel. The "120 Hz" or "240 Hz" that various companies are advertising is different, it essentially relies on interpolating between frames (which adds latency) or simply strobing the backlight at 2x or 4x the refresh rate (which does pretty much nothing).

You will need a 1080 Ti to run 4K native at a guaranteed 60 Hz, otherwise you can use scaling to run at a lesser framerate. A 1060 will do you 60+ fps at 1080p (i.e. 0.5x scaling), a 980 Ti or 1070 will do you 60fps at 1440p, which is ~0.75x scaling. Or you can live with less than 60 fps in some titles - a 980 Ti should be able to drive 40fps or so on average.

Since this is a TV and TVs are heading down the FreeSync path, it may be worth considering a Vega 56 and this may boost your performance in the long term, but it's essentially an early-access product right now, there are a lot of rough edges in the hardware and drivers.

vvv An effective summary vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 4, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
4K is so outside anyone’s range that the very best in hardware can give you 60FPS in anything.

If you want to play games at 4K, expect to either spend a lot of money or do like the consoles and target 30FPS. If you can’t afford the lot of money but want PC standard refresh instead of console refresh, you’ll have to render at lower resolutions.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Update on the whole S340+H75/G10 saga: I mentioned that the radiator was super tight against the RAM, like actually probably contacting the heatspreader, and that I was concerned because heat is a known factor for increasing RAM soft errors. I just bluescreened while browsing and running a GPU miner+CPU XMR miner in the background. It was hours in, after the loop would have had time to come up to temp, and XMR is a pretty intense CPU workout. This machine has never ever had a hint of hardware unreliability in the year+ I owned it previously. Kinda suspicious.

This was a slim-type AIO so I definitely no longer recommend putting a 120mm radiator on the rear mount at all, and the tubes are so short I'm not sure I can get it on the front mount. I'm going to have to peek at rotating the AIO but I may end up rebuilding into a F51.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 4, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
4k gaming is heavily advertised but it really is the equivalent of the 1% for pc gaming. On enthusiast forums and sites it looks like everyone has 1080ti cards but really on the whole virtually nobody possesses them. It's an incredibly niche market. Statistically speaking, most people would go into serious financial hardship just losing the £/$ cost of one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The current-gen x80 Ti card is always expensive. It'll firesale down to 50% or less once Volta launches - the 980 Ti dropped to $300 after the launch of Pascal.

And for perspective, for about half the price of a 1080 Ti you can get a really fantastic 1440p Gsync monitor that will serve you well for at least 5 years, that you can drive with a 1060 3 GB, 1060 6 GB, or 970 if needed. Arguably with GPU prices so hosed up at the moment it makes more sense to sink your money into a good monitor instead. Miners aren't buying up hundreds of monitors.

The 1080 has also been down to around 60% of the 1080 Ti's price.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 4, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

And for perspective, for about half the price of a 1080 Ti you can get a really fantastic 1440p Gsync monitor that will serve you well for at least 5 years, that you can drive with a 1060 3 GB, 1060 6 GB, or 970 if needed.

Which ones are that cheap?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

Which ones are that cheap?

That's roughly a S2716DG on a great sale, or a S2417DG on a decent sale. I think there is a new 24" 1440p monitor out too.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've been doing some testing, and I'm convinced that directing some airflow right at your GPU fans is The Correct Way To Cool A GPU. Testing my RX 580 with Furmark, it gets up to 67° C with the fans at full speed. This is in a Thermaltake V21 cube case in my chilly New England apartment, so it's in pretty good shape without tweaking, although it does make about 50 dba of noise.

Putting a fan over the GPU cools it 5-6°. Setting the fan so it blows directly into the GPU fans cool it 5° more. That might be nice if I wanted to overclock, but I just want the system to be cool enough while making as little noise as possible. With the GPU fans at 60%, and the extra fan pointed at the card, I hit 67°, the same temp I got before with the fans at full speed. This setup was just 40 dba, though.

This seems like a pretty great result considering that the extra fan is just a Cooler Master 120mm I pulled off an old Hyper 212. I'm sure I could get better results with a proper 140mm airflow fan. I'm also wondering if in intake shroud could make things even better.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Paul MaudDib posted:

Update on the whole S340+H75/G10 saga: I mentioned that the radiator was super tight against the RAM, like actually probably contacting the heatspreader, and that I was concerned because heat is a known factor for increasing RAM soft errors. I just bluescreened while browsing and running a GPU miner+CPU XMR miner in the background. It was hours in, after the loop would have had time to come up to temp, and XMR is a pretty intense CPU workout. This machine has never ever had a hint of hardware unreliability in the year+ I owned it previously. Kinda suspicious.

This was a slim-type AIO so I definitely no longer recommend putting a 120mm radiator on the rear mount at all, and the tubes are so short I'm not sure I can get it on the front mount. I'm going to have to peek at rotating the AIO but I may end up rebuilding into a F51.

I haven't switched to water yet since the cost/benefit hasn't matched up to what I find reasonable, but if I were to do it I'd go with a 120mm radiator at the rear exhaust for the GPU and a 280mm at the front intake for CPU and scrap the top vent altogether. I currently have the top vent blocked off on my all air setup.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aerodynamics are basically magic but there are 2 things happening as long as your case has enough airflow that it's not simply bringing in colder air. Airflow at 90 degrees to another fan makes turbulence and air tumbling and swirling does a better job at breaking the boundary layer since the tumbling is moving the boundary layer itself. Heat moves based on temperature differences and getting colder air closer to the surface of the fins means heat can move faster. The other option is fans at 0 degrees which insignificantly increases CFM but basically doubles pressure (for the same type of fan), with dense heatsink fins more pressure can allow the air to better flow between the fins and also cool better. If you're getting better results from a 0 degree stack you'll get even better results by taking off the factory 10-15MM thick fan and only using the 25MM directly on the fins, pressure doubling mostly works off of the weakest fan in the stack and the weaker fans act more like an obstetrical than an assistant. You'll turn your card into a 3-3.5 slot card by strapping a 25mm fan to it, but I assume you already have the space for it if you're already stacking fans.

The reason there are very few factory 90 degree fan solutions is that although it causes air to move around better turbulence also makes more noise than simply a stronger single fan for the same performance.

If you want to get really fancy and try out a 3D printer shrouding a thicker fan so it sits a few mm off of the heatsink can provide even better performance, but that's making the card even thicker and designing shrouds is out of the capability of most home users.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 4, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

4k gaming is heavily advertised but it really is the equivalent of the 1% for pc gaming. On enthusiast forums and sites it looks like everyone has 1080ti cards but really on the whole virtually nobody possesses them. It's an incredibly niche market. Statistically speaking, most people would go into serious financial hardship just losing the £/$ cost of one.

I feel like it's almost always unstated and maybe sometimes forgotten that statements like these only apply to new games. There are a lot of games that will run great at 4K on a 1060 - just not AAA ones from the last couple years.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

I feel like it's almost always unstated and maybe sometimes forgotten that statements like these only apply to new games. There are a lot of games that will run great at 4K on a 1060 - just not AAA ones from the last couple years.

Also that settings below Very High exist

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Hogo Fogo posted:

Also that settings below Very High exist

And often going down from Ultra to Very High or whatever will give you a large FPS boost with little or zero perceivable difference in quality. In some games it's ridiculous like Ghost Recon Wildlands goes from 64FPS to 94FPS going from Ultra to Very High and I can't see the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DrDork posted:

Well, you also don't "turn" a plane via rudders in anything other than a video game because doing so puts a ton of stress on things and they're just not designed that way, and it honestly doesn't even work as well as you'd think. Instead, you use rudders to fix alignment issues, and due to the way alignment is displayed (usually a little white ball in a tube ala a bubble level), fixing out of alignment issues has you "step on the ball" (eg, if the ball is out to the left, add left rudder). So it actually ends up being quite sensible in practice.

As for the elevator, it's really uncomfortable to have to push forward to go up: doing so requires you to push your arms out while the rest of your body wants to tilt backwards (and vice versa for going down). Inverted controls means you keep your arms and body both going in the same direction together, which is a much more natural feeling.

Yeah I don't get either of those posts. Even if you did turn the plane via the rudder it still doesn't make sense to me.