Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

Dude, -gently caress- the redhat brigade. The Venn diagram of dipshits calling for blood and veterans/service members isn't a single circle, and one is not contained within the other.

Yeah I'm willing to set aside the vet/service member group, they're not what concerns me in this situation. It's Two Scoops whipping his cult of personality into a froth/violence and painting "the judges" as corrupt and anti-Trump, therefore anti-American, because only him and his followers are 'real America'. It's one more whack at the foundational institutions of the country because his demented, swiss cheese brain knows he can lie and distort details (like this being part of the UCMJ proceedings and having nothing to do with the judges he's been railing against for years) and get away with it in his cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BrandorKP posted:

That's what they've always fought for. You should be way more worried about people that fight for ideals.

That's so terrifying and evil.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This whole "you can't disagree with a *~veteran*~ it disrespects their service, how dare you" bullshit is one of the more grating things about being a veteran and having to put up with people hiding behind their service or worse the service of others to justify their poo poo opinions.
~*Veteran*~ status may impress normies, but anyone who has actually been in the service knows the seemed forces have the same ratio of morons, assholes, and fuckups you'll find anywhere else in society and no one has any obligation to give special weight to their politics just because they served.

WampaLord posted:

Jesus christ, you're a lovely person. Hasn't the man suffered enough?

There's no reasoning with the authoritarian mind. It's only concerned with inflicting maximum punishment for its own sake on rulebreakers no matter how disproportionate, no matter how little sense it makes, no matter if it does any good or if it just leaves the world a worse place with no benefit to anyone.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Chilichimp posted:

Inappropriately admitted? Can you elaborate on that? He rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant. You don't do that by being someone who's unmotivated, a gently caress-up, or has no desire to be there.

While anyone with any measure of empathy can see what Bergdahl's been through and conclude "time served and dishonorable discharge is fair", to be devoid of empathy for what veterans and service members feel about the situation seems pretty callous.

I'm with you on this, but you have to remember that to service members this is a deserter who was tortured by the Taliban for five years. He's a monumental piece of poo poo to that community.

Veterans and service members want him punished not because he deserted, but because of how his desertion affected his fellow soldiers. I'm not familiar with any specific people who died trying to find him, but I've seen enough people reference that to at least acknowledge it's possible, though I still need to confirm it. One of my college frat brothers was in his Battalion in Afghanistan and yeah, they went through some serious poo poo trying to get this guy back.

Bergdahl was not a Staff Sergeant, he was a Private First Class and was promoted while in captivity multiple times. Calling Bowe Bergdahl a deserter isn't accurate in my opinion, because it fails to capture the... weirdness of Bergdahl and what happened.

From what I remember: Bergdahl grew up home-schooled in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and his childhood basically consisted of him loving around in the woods alone. He decided to join the coast guard but was kicked out of training for mental health issues (self-harm I think?). At some point he decided to enlist in the Army, which everyone who knew him thought was a terrible idea and probably should have never happened given his record with the coast guard.

While deployed in Afghanistan Bergdahl seems to have become increasingly convinced that the Army command was dangerously incompetent or malicious and was going to get his whole unit killed. Nobody else in his unit seems to have shared these concerns, they had any number of problems but they were typical Army problems and not really anything out of the ordinary. At some point Bergdahl decided he was going to run to a nearby Army base overnight, as some sort of demonstration to raise awareness of the problems he thought his unit were facing. In the night he left most of his equipment, put on some local clothes, and started running towards the base. At some point he ran into Taliban fighters, and was captured.

In my non-expert opinion, the only explanation for this is some sort of mental health issue. His explanations are full of extremely weird leaps of logic, and if he was going to lie... well this is an unbelievably lovely lie. He could have just claimed he went to take a dump or something and they might have believed him. If he left because he had become disgusted with the war and the army and wanted out, I think he seems like the kind of person who would straight up say so.

The claims that people died searching for Bergdahl are trumped up. When he went missing notice was put out, and basically every unit in Afghanistan was "looking for him" and "engaged in the search" even though their missions had nothing to do with him and would have been carried out regardless of if he had gone missing or not.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

This whole "you can't disagree with a *~veteran*~ it disrespects their service, how dare you" bullshit is one of the more grating things about being a veteran and having to put up with people hiding behind their service or worse the service of others to justify their poo poo opinions.

I got super upset and tore into someone on Facebook the other day over the whole Kaep/NFL thing after they continually used a 'friend' who apparently died in the great middle eastern poo poo show to back his point.

loving ghouls using someone else's service for their political bullshit.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Also, I feel there's a fundamental difference in the way mainstream liberals (I guess including yourself?) view Democrats and the way leftists do. It seems that many liberals view Democrats as "not ideal, but still pretty good," but leftists view them as "better than Republicans, but still really bad." The important thing to realize is that the Democratic Party is dramatically far from the sort of ideology and policy that the radical left desires. They aren't even in the ballpark of the sort of wealth redistribution that leftists believe is vital to the creation of a remotely equitable society. Heck, one could even convincingly argue that the Democrats cause more harm than good if you look back more than 10 years or so (there's a good chance Bill Clinton did more bad than good, for example).

I think this is why you end up with a disconnect where liberals view the radical left as being obsessed with "purity," when in reality a large portion of the left is compromising when it comes to politicians like Bernie Sanders. No one in the Democratic Party is advocating for what really needs to be done, but at least he seems willing to move things in the right direction. The rest of the party seems to consider a 5% increase on taxes for the super wealthy to be the bleeding edge of progressive policy.

A good post, I don't agree with all of it, but a good post. I think the Dems suffer from being a party that doesn't just span interests but class.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 4, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's mental health related, certainly. Given his upbringing it seems more nurture than nature but I'm not sure what difference that makes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Boon posted:

I got super upset and tore into someone on Facebook the other day over the whole Kaep/NFL thing after they continually used a 'friend' who apparently died in the great middle eastern poo poo show to back his point.

Veterans aren’t people, they’re pictures on recruitment posters. People might inconveniently disagree with me.

Shbobdb posted:

It's mental health related, certainly. Given his upbringing it seems more nurture than nature but I'm not sure what difference that makes.

There’s plenty of weird sheltered conservative kids that do fine in the military. This guy had issues before he joined and now he has no healthcare. Good job America!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Boon posted:

Yeah I try to always speak up in those situations to let people know they don't need to back down in the face of someone pulling the "well I/my friend was in the military" card to shield their political bullshit from critique.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you are getting paid to occupy a foreign country and kill people, then you aren't doing ok. Something is very loving wrong with you.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
So basically Berghdal is Yossarian, or thought he was Yossarian?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shbobdb posted:

If you are getting paid to occupy a foreign country and kill people, then you aren't doing ok. Something is very loving wrong with you.

Ok, let me rephrase, most of them don’t appear to have mental health episodes and think it’s a good idea to go putzing around in a hostile foreign nation.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

~*Veteran*~ status may impress normies, but anyone who has actually been in the service knows the seemed forces have the same ratio of morons, assholes, and fuckups you'll find anywhere else in society and no one has any obligation to give special weight to their politics just because they served.

And yet you weren't afraid to whip it out win an argument.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Or you started life on the poo poo end of the capitalist hellscape that is this country and have no possibility of a steady paying job with food, housing and medical care included that also happens to give you a full scholarship when you get out.

But sure let's just call them all baby murders and spit on them. It's a fine American tradition after all, worked out great last time around.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

bird food bathtub posted:

Or you started life on the poo poo end of the capitalist hellscape that is this country and have no possibility of a steady paying job with food, housing and medical care included that also happens to give you a full scholarship when you get out.

But sure let's just call them all baby murders and spit on them. It's a fine American tradition after all, worked out great last time around.

last time the US really questioned the "worship the troops" paradigm it got you out of vietnam.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SimonCat posted:

And yet you weren't afraid to whip it out win an argument.

There's nothing contradictory about using it to counter someone who pulls the "You can't say I'm wrong because I am/know a veteran" bullshit.

I guess you're as stupid as you are loathsome if you couldn't figure that out.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zoro posted:

Net neutrality will come under vote on November 22nd. That's when they will strip away the regulation protecting us from isps charging us through the roof.

there's regulation protecting us from isps charging us through the roof?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

there's regulation protecting us from isps charging us through the roof?

They’ll be able to sell you internet in the way cable packages are offered, except probably much worse.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

There's nothing contradictory about using it to counter someone who pulls the "You can't say I'm wrong because I am/know a veteran" bullshit.

I guess you're as stupid as you are loathsome if you couldn't figure that out.

You pulled it out first though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

botany posted:

last time the US really questioned the "worship the troops" paradigm it got you out of vietnam.

There is some middle ground between "troops are not omniscient fountains of wisdom with 100% correct opinions in all times and places" and "they're all baby murders, spit on them". You don't have to venerate every single veteran ever, in any and all situations to understand and sympathize with our hyper capitalist society making the benefits offered by joining up really, really loving attractive to people on the poo poo end of that approach.

"Hate the game, not the player" as it were.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

bird food bathtub posted:

There is some middle ground between "troops are not omniscient fountains of wisdom with 100% correct opinions in all times and places" and "they're all baby murders, spit on them". You don't have to venerate every single veteran ever, in any and all situations to understand and sympathize with our hyper capitalist society making the benefits offered by joining up really, really loving attractive to people on the poo poo end of that approach.

"Hate the game, not the player" as it were.

yeah, i agree with that. there's room to acknowledge the disastrous role the US military is playing around the world while also admitting that military service is still one of the few reliable ways for people to claw their way out of poverty and unemployment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Say the FCC fucks net neutrality. Can the genie be put back in the bottle in a better administration?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

They’ll be able to sell you internet in the way cable packages are offered, except probably much worse.

way to get the joke there, joke getter

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Say the FCC fucks net neutrality. Can the genie be put back in the bottle in a better administration?

Probably not. The telecoms will immediately rearrange their business models to exploit the new rules and dump as much money as possible to keep them from being reverted.

The internet's about to get a lot more restrictive.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/926872061359861761

quote:

Former Democratic National Committee head Donna Brazile writes in a new book that she seriously contemplated replacing Hillary Clinton as the party’s 2016 presidential nominee with then-Vice President Biden in the aftermath of Clinton’s fainting spell, in part because Clinton’s campaign was “anemic” and had taken on “the odor of failure.”

Brazile writes that she considered a dozen combinations to replace the nominees and settled on Biden and Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.), the duo she felt most certain would win over enough working-class voters to defeat Republican Donald Trump. But then, she writes, “I thought of Hillary, and all the women in the country who were so proud of and excited about her. I could not do this to them.”

quote:

Brazile alleges that Clinton’s top aides routinely disrespected her and put the DNC on a “starvation diet,” depriving it of funding for voter turnout operations.

As one of her party’s most prominent black strategists, Brazile also recounts fiery disagreements with Clinton’s staffers — including a conference call in which she told three senior campaign officials, Charlie Baker, Marlon Marshall and Dennis Cheng, that she was being treated like a slave.

“I’m not Patsey the slave,” Brazile recalls telling them, a reference to the character played by Lupita Nyong’o in the film, “12 Years a Slave.” “Y’all keep whipping me and whipping me and you never give me any money or any way to do my drat job. I am not going to be your whipping girl!”

quote:

Brazile writes that she was haunted by the still-unsolved murder of DNC data staffer Seth Rich and feared for her own life, shutting the blinds to her office window so snipers could not see her and installing surveillance cameras at her home. She wonders whether Russians had placed a listening device in plants in the DNC executive suite.

I honestly don't have any kind of value judgment on this, or know if there's anything of political worth to infer here, and I'm not sure if I'm able to gather the mental faculties required to pass any kind of conclusion right now, what in the name of our uncaring nonexistent god.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno that book kinda sounds interesting now

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

i dunno that book kinda sounds interesting now

It's not even like Hillary's book, I feel as if touching a physical copy of this thing would drain me of my fluids and send them off to some eldritch dimension.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lol jesus christ this loving woman's prose makes clinton sound like a paragon of honesty

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/926405458574880773
:eyepop:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

way to get the joke there, joke getter

:colbert:

Aw yeah my state representin’ dat irresponsible parent demographic.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Actually here's my thought: the only candidate worse than Hillary Clinton in 2016 is the Biden/Booker ticket replacing the GE nominee mere months before the election over a fainting spell.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/926872061359861761

I honestly don't have any kind of value judgment on this, or know if there's anything of political worth to infer here, and I'm not sure if I'm able to gather the mental faculties required to pass any kind of conclusion right now, what in the name of our uncaring nonexistent god.

Donna Brazile is a terminal moron whom you shouldn't believe about basically anything, especially how she really truly isn't responsible for anything and she thought of doing something super unprecedented that would've gotten her castigated forever, but she just decided not to!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Quorum posted:

Donna Brazile is a terminal moron whom you shouldn't believe about basically anything, especially how she really truly isn't responsible for anything and she thought of doing something super unprecedented that would've gotten her castigated forever, but she just decided not to!

"His name was Seth Rich." - Donna Brazile, apparently

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Another great day of canvassing in NoVA. According to what one of the organizers told me we had at least 230 people knocking on doors today, which would beat the record set by the Obama campaign in 08. It was really wonderful to be out there talking to voters. I think I actually got someone to vote who wouldn't have otherwise. He said he worked on Tuesday and wasn't sure if he could make it so I told him he could still early vote today till 5 pm and he got all excited, grabbed his stuff and said he was going to try. :unsmith:

Here's a potato quality picture of Ralph Northam and Justin Fairfax talking to us before hand. I was way in the back so this is sadly the best one I got.

And thank you to Fancy who got my directions to the event location sorted out at the 11th hour!

There is still time to get involved. You could be the one who makes the difference. http://go.vademocrats.org/page/s/volunteer-today

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

botany posted:

yeah, i agree with that. there's room to acknowledge the disastrous role the US military is playing around the world while also admitting that military service is still one of the few reliable ways for people to claw their way out of poverty and unemployment.

We should probably put that myth to bed considering veterans are more likely than civilians to be homeless. CDC Report.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mecha Gojira posted:

We should probably put that myth to bed considering veterans are more likely than civilians to be homeless. CDC Report.

ok, i should have phrased that better: statistically, joining the army is strongly correlated with poverty and a lack of expectations in other fields. that the expected results often don't come through is a result of the system praising, but not supporting members of the military, especially after their active duty. but poverty and unemployment are still primary motivations for joining the military.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

It's like you don't hear or see when people poo poo on the Dems. Or something. You aren't totally wrong, I think there's a perception issue. For example, I never really see you talk about lovely fuckwad republicans.... Maybe because we both take that for granted.

That's a reasonable point, though the main reason is that I can't really see any path from "people criticizing Republicans from the left" to "something good happening." Like, Democratic politicians should at least, in theory, care about what people on the left think, but the opinions of people on the left don't matter at all to Republican politicians. It's like having a conversation about how you totally think murderers are wrong or something; there's not really any discussion to be had there, since pretty much everyone would agree. The same is true for the topic of "Republicans being bad" on the SA forums; there's virtually no one here who will defend the right-wing. In contexts with a bunch of right-wing people I spend more effort talking about why right-wing politics are dumb and harmful.

That being said, I'm definitely biased in favor of caring more about improving the country than preventing things from becoming worse. I guess it depends upon whether someone would agree with the statement "the current state of the country is more bad than it is good"; I could understand why someone who disagrees with that might prioritize preventing things from becoming worse (i.e. defeating Republicans), but I just don't find the idea of preventing a bad situation from becoming worse very motivating.

WampaLord posted:

I legit wonder if it's an income thing. Am I wrong in assuming that the JCs and Nevvy Zs of the world are making six figures? That would explain the total and overwhelming resistance to the slightest leftist movement.

It usually is an income thing (it's not a coincidence most liberals who attack the left are comfortable financially), though I don't think it necessarily implies the person is making six figures. It just usually means that they're comfortable and secure financially. So they might make 50-60k or some other amount that basically means "this person has no realistic material concerns."

edit: Other exceptions might be a situation where someone has a financially secure family but doesn't make much themselves (for example, someone who is a graduate student with parents who make decent money). Or someone who hasn't yet needed to face the prospect of financially insecurity (like someone still in college who isn't needing to pay their own living expenses). This isn't to say it's impossible for someone to not be financially secure and still have such views. For example, someone who doesn't make good money themselves but has a social group consisting of many people who do might end up with the same sort of beliefs as their peers.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 4, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably in ten yeays. Unlike the neolibs i know the system can be fixed even if it means a bunch of Camps for enemies need to be built.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Actually, what happens is they get to take a bigger cut out of both ends of service.

Providers - Netflix, Hulu, SomethingAwful, hosting providers - get to pay for "fast lanes."

Consumers get to pay for faster access to bundles of websites like your cable comparisons.

This is a massive profit increase for ISPs which is why they will never, ever let it go.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The only counter outside of regulatory action is non profit ISPs and it is likely they will try to ban those from existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Was the dem fallout, finger pointing, and bus-throwing this bad back after 2000? There's always gonna be blame and frustration, but I kinda expected the party orgs to be more prepared for dealing with the possibility of losing.

• Locked thread