Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like teams. It has potential, but is no where near complete.

Amusingly, the o365 roadmap lists some 80 ish features for teams that are in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The Fool posted:

Amusingly, the o365 roadmap lists some 80 ish features for teams that are in development.

Is .gif support one of them?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Just use PureCloud instead. It’s pretty decent for all the things it does.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AlexDeGruven posted:

IBM still uses Sametime internally

There's still a bunch of Lotus Notes databases out there

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

But enough about IBM

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

carry on then posted:

Notes would be in widespread use as forms generator and workflow management tool except for one thing, some rear end in a top hat went and implemented email in it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I think Lotus Notes is still pretty popular with law firms. I've only heard of it being used there, and at IBM.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Dropbox has just warned me that my freebie 48GB promo is about to expire and drop me down to 2GB

Any free way to get a decent allowance again or will I have to bite the bullet and pay for it?

Same question for Onedrive as I could use that instead.

(Usually, I don't keep much in there, but I am doing some extended travelling and I think hotel wifi has progressed to the point where I could use online backup of my digital camera photos, instead of taking an external HDD)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jeoh posted:

I think Lotus Notes is still pretty popular with law firms. I've only heard of it being used there, and at IBM.
I had a job working for a county government a few years ago where someone implemented a ticketing system inside of Notes. They also used some flavor of Novell NDS/eDirectory and whatever Novell app publishes applications to users' desktops.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

spog posted:

Dropbox has just warned me that my freebie 48GB promo is about to expire and drop me down to 2GB

Any free way to get a decent allowance again or will I have to bite the bullet and pay for it?

Same question for Onedrive as I could use that instead.

(Usually, I don't keep much in there, but I am doing some extended travelling and I think hotel wifi has progressed to the point where I could use online backup of my digital camera photos, instead of taking an external HDD)

pay the money if you like usability. Dropbox is pretty good and usable.

Amazon CloudDrive is their competitor. £55/year for unlimited storage in the UK, dunno about elsewhere.

if you wanna be cheap and don't mind a certain degree of loving around, you could use Amazon S3 buckets directly. Super-reliable, but you can tell the interface is for sysadmins (who usually set up command line poo poo). Also you need to put stuff in it yourself, it doesn't autosync. (You may be able to kludge this yourself if you're some sorta nerd.) edit: and if you're on Linux, s3fs-fuse (I haven't tried this myself).

divabot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 4, 2017

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Malek posted:

Does the USB Stick say "And Revert" on the other side?

"Deploy to prod on Friday"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jeoh posted:

I hear it's pretty common in south east asia still. At my old job our parent company in Jakarta required that we use Lotus Notes

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Our mail is on Exchange now, but we still have a running Notes installation for mail older than 2009 or so. You have to access it through a legacy Citrix environment and remember your password from 8 years ago, but it's there if you need it I guess. We have maybe 1000 attorneys, and I see a request for Notes password resets every few weeks or so.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm in for a USB stick or two.

And I spent a year subcontracting for one of the biggie MSPs, and they were still all-in on Lotus Notes/Domino/SameTime. As of four years ago or so. Dunno if that's changed or not since, and I have zero intention of finding out.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

But enough about IBM
While I was at IBM a colleague told me that when the x86 server division got spun off to Lenovo, one of the first changes that Lenovo implemented was to transfer all their newly-acquired employees from Notes to Exchange, and that announcement was literally met with cheers from the employees.

(I managed to make Notes somewhat bearable by paying out of pocket for an SSD and memory upgrade on my corporate-issued ThinkPad. I also turned the swapfile off.)

Sametime is good.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

(I managed to make Notes somewhat bearable by paying out of pocket for an SSD and memory upgrade on my corporate-issued ThinkPad. I also turned the swapfile off.)

Sametime is good.
An SSD and a bit more RAM is also the way to make Outlook and Exchange bearable.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Crosspost:

It's been a few years, do we want to do another christmas group buy?

I'm down for one.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Notes is pretty good.

I say this having had no alternative, ever.

The unlimited capacity emails and databases? Noice.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Fool posted:

How about they take care of the basic poo poo first, like getting rid of threaded conversations in chatrooms, letting people remove themselves from and delete unwanted group chats, and make switching between different chats go faster

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MANime in the sheets posted:

How about they take care of the basic poo poo first, like getting rid of threaded conversations in chatrooms, letting people remove themselves from and delete unwanted group chats, and make switching between different chats go faster

Because... Microsoft?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Last time I had to support Lotus Notes it was still a horrific piece of junk that loved to break at random in ways that were weirder than Outlook.

Couldn't fix a LN issue by deleting one of its 498 cache files? You had to log in as local admin to rip everything out and install it fresh. Often requiring 45 minutes and 2-3 reboots.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

Because... Microsoft?

I'm incredibly bitter, because we had a perfectly adequate chat client, and it's being taken away for loving Teams, which IMO is probably decent for an early beta build.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We used a group AIM chat up until a few weeks ago.

I also work with idiots who hate change.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Slack was deemed not good enough with little explanation as to why so now there's talks about switching to yammer.

I need a new job.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm surprised they haven't stuck with irc; it's older than AIM and it's still around despite all other competition it's had throughout all the years, most of which has died out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

divabot posted:

pay the money if you like usability. Dropbox is pretty good and usable.

Amazon CloudDrive is their competitor. £55/year for unlimited storage in the UK, dunno about elsewhere.

if you wanna be cheap and don't mind a certain degree of loving around, you could use Amazon S3 buckets directly. Super-reliable, but you can tell the interface is for sysadmins (who usually set up command line poo poo). Also you need to put stuff in it yourself, it doesn't autosync. (You may be able to kludge this yourself if you're some sorta nerd.) edit: and if you're on Linux, s3fs-fuse (I haven't tried this myself).

Ta.

I don't mind paying for Dropbox, I just wondered if it was one of those things like paying for AOL and that it was easy to get promos for extra space.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm surprised they haven't stuck with irc; it's older than AIM and it's still around despite all other competition it's had throughout all the years, most of which has died out.

IRC, being a completely open protocol, doesn't have sales agents pestering businesses to implement it or continue using it. :v:

And of course because of that, it's also not going to just go under some day like many previous chat services have.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, aside from the brief boom IRC had in the early 2000s when especially QuakeNet got really big and the global user average hit ~2 million, it's been steady at ~600k for the past decade or more. I look forward to the current crop of chat programs which do inline-images and which let you edit the chat buffer for everyone, not just yourself, end up dying. Surely it'll be any one of these days, right? :ohdear:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

And it is easy as hell to run. When I did my own email and web hosting, I used to run a comprehensive IRC server, complete with NickServ and ChanServ and a web based client. Wasn't linked to any networks, but it was the easiest way back in the day to offer my users chat.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean there's tons of services out there that really do just use IRC under the hood. Twitch's chats are if I recall correctly still running on IRC servers that they do fancy things with like recording the chat buffers alongside individual streams so they can do chat-replays when you watched archived video, stuff like that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Supposedly Blizzard based the first battle.net chat on irc, and since basically every game since then has all-but-copied the functionality of battle.net chat, all of those are not-unlike irc. Then there's Unreal Tournament which straigt up just included ircII.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I think I mentioned that the main use we put our paid-for Slack to is outsourcing our IRC. We still call it "IRC", and access it with IRC clients. I heartily recommend Slack for all your outsourced IRC needs. Discord keep flat-out refusing to make a working IRC gateway, if they had one I'd probably use it ever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The ingame chat in EVE was based on IRC as far as I know, and each star system was just its separate chat channel. It also meant that during massive fleet battles when the game was basically at a standstill, chat still worked fine.

There was an exploit for a short while where someone figured out that if you could prevent the game client from joining the system's chat channel, you would become invisible and you could go around killing people who had no idea you were in the system.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Collateral Damage posted:

The ingame chat in EVE was based on IRC as far as I know, and each star system was just its separate chat channel. It also meant that during massive fleet battles when the game was basically at a standstill, chat still worked fine.

There was an exploit for a short while where someone figured out that if you could prevent the game client from joining the system's chat channel, you would become invisible and you could go around killing people who had no idea you were in the system.

i miss the chat spam battles against TEST when the node died

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Slack is actually IRC under the hood.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

This is correct and still the case - though I think the bug you mention has long since been fixed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

This is correct and still the case - though I think the bug you mention has long since been fixed.

There was also this fun bug where you could paste some seriously hosed up UTF8 stuff into local and lots of clients would crash.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wibla posted:

There was also this fun bug where you could paste some seriously hosed up UTF8 stuff into local and lots of clients would crash.

That was a great one, huge fight going on, local gets filled with a crapload of really odd spam, and the players in system dropped by like 90%.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just remember being on IRC in the mid 90s when winnuke.exe was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Comcast, why you do this? Lots of clients are down or having static/packet issues.

• Locked thread