Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

temple posted:

The stun lancer double agent routinely owned missions because I would put in him danger that I wouldn't for other soldiers. It weird that double agents are more powerful than the resistance helpers (not talking about retaliation missions).

I once stuck a regular trooper in some cover that was flanked by 3 enemies, and none of them were able to hit him.
ADVENT has some soldier secrets that they aren't sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Resistance soldiers.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S7TcdkUB0w

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I swear before WOTC every time a lancer hit me it was a stun, to the point I avoided them like hell. I thought it was the expansion that changed it. :downs:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I use the No Unconcious stun lancer mod because that poo poo is not cool so early in the game

Also the No Mind Control mind spin

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
https://imgur.com/a/q5q4T

*disapproval*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is it realistic to expect to be able to take out one of the Chosen pre-plasma tier on Legendary?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samovar posted:

Is it realistic to expect to be able to take out one of the Chosen pre-plasma tier on Legendary?

You could though I think it'd be pretty rough.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Samovar posted:

Pre plasma is totally doable. Its less about plasma and more about having a really good team of soldiers.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah the Chosen base missions are subject to the same escalation mechanics as any other mission so you can in theory do them at any time. They are long missions though so you want to be at the point where you're fairly consistently alpha striking pods. If you've got a psi op with stasis that'll also go a long way if the portals dump something nasty during the chosen fight.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Samovar posted:

Yes, definitely. Both the chosen and the rest of the opposition levels up at a rate equivalent as you. So if you go early, the Chosen will have fewer abilities and the summons will be less scary.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It feels like the reinforcements in the final encounter are on the high end of the scale but if you have a good squad you can usually safely ignore the meat shields and focus down the chosen.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I don't know if it's 100% of the time, but I usually stretch my resources by skipping the teleport chamber pod - I just line everyone up against the door, get full AP, open the door and then sprint everyone to the platform. Same as evac points, you can use them even after using both AP. It helps because that encounter tends to be pretty vicious, at least in my experience - the spawns are probably random but they get really creative with cover and sightlines in that room.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lol

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
I really disliked XCom2 for repetitive battleground, timed missions and badly-explained strategic gameplay (I mean flying around big map thing) that could fail way too easily if I didn't gather supplies or flew to correct spots in time. Does expansion help with any of this?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Tilesets- slightly more varied
Timers- there is a perk you can get that makes it not start until you break concealment, but you might not get it. There's also a second wave option to extend them.
Strategic gameplay- idk how you can mess up where to fly

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Woohoo posted:

I really disliked XCom2 for repetitive battleground, timed missions and badly-explained strategic gameplay (I mean flying around big map thing) that could fail way too easily if I didn't gather supplies or flew to correct spots in time. Does expansion help with any of this?

Hell yes. There are covert ops that are like rumors but with some better rewards, like lowering avatar progress. There are a bunch of new mission types, a new environment, some updated versions of old environments, and sitereps which are like mini challenges for some maps. Some sitereps are bonuses like complete vision or bonus supply chests. Others are challenges like specific enemy types or squad compositions.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Woohoo posted:

Did you like the 2012 XCOM? If the basic style of XCOM gameplay doesn't appeal to you, then the expansion features won't cure that. The expansion is absolutely outstanding but it's not a completely different game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh sure, 3 man transmitter sabotage mission vs a Heavy Mec pod, Sectopod+Shieldbearer pod, and Archon pod.

This is reasonable :shepicide:

I actually almost made it too, what with my Templar pinging around off multiple pods like a deranged Psionic pinball and a whole bunch of Lost swarming everywhere and explosions going off all over the place and a Between the Eyes sniper occasionally wiping out oh about ten of them per turn. And I had a Resistance soldier along too. Had I not forgotten my AP Ammo that could have gone a lot differently. Alas it ended with my Templar eating poo poo through hard cover right after finishing off the Sectopod.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought it was a waste of an ability but my Templar getting Sustain kept him from getting hosed by a Sectopod so I'm not knocking it anymore. I'm not fielding my Psi Operatives until they get it it's taking loving forever for them to get up to speed and I've had so many bad activations I don't want to lose months of training to a fuckup.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 6, 2017

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
This weekend I joined a group of friends to do a marathon 25-hour (thanks, Daylight Savings) livestream of various and sundry games.For my own part, I did Battlefield 4, Middle Earth: Shadows of War, and of course, War of the Chosen.

Two hours is actually not very much at all for demoing a game like XCOM, and I only managed to do Gatecrasher, The Lost and the Chosen, and one other random 'kill the Advent Commander' mission. Also had a couple of dumb goofs on my part, so the stream was really nothing special.

Except for Johnny. I fired up a totally fresh, randomized file with no imported or prebuilt soldiers, and Anarchy's Children promptly went to work; Gatecrasher kicked off with one particular soldier who apparently only joined XCOM under the condition that he was not required to wear actual clothing, and he dropped into battle with nothing but a Mr. T mohawk, tan-colored hot pants, and a vest with a skull-shaped spider on the back of it (and no shirt underneath or anything - just a vest.) During Gatecrasher, he managed to score a couple of solid assault rifle kills, including one somewhat-unlikely overwatch shot that got me out of what would otherwise be a nasty situation.

Promptly dubbed Johnny No-Pants by the couch, he was promoted to a sharpshooter and spent the rest of the stream making everybody else look like a chump by comparison, critical-hit killing the advent commander in the sewers with his revolver, scoring a sniper rifle shot on an advent purifier through the body of a truck in The Lost and the Chosen (the truck later exploded as well), mowing down Lost with contemptuous ease, and then finally inspiring the squad's fellow grenadier to kill off the assassin through the power of the Teamwork ability via his impressive bulge.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187549594 And jump to 06:08:42 on the playback. Overall I'm not really proud of that stream, but the energy and enthusiasm for the legend of Johnny No-Pants made it all worthwhile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anarchy's Children is a great costume pack I don't know why people hate it. The hotpants alone were worth the sale. :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

hotpants are great but the weird mad max aesthetic doesn't really jive with everything else.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

hotpants are great but the weird mad max aesthetic doesn't really jive with everything else.

I feel like the team making this never had a meeting to decide what the on the ground world was like because every god drat thing seems to show it differently.

Like half the stuff seems like it's an apocalypse and everyone is in ruins but then there is also a bunch of stuff that wants to be x-files and like the climax involves broadcasting a slide show behind the speaker that is all 'actually aliens kill people!" and everyone going "why I never! I had no idea!" and overthrowing everything.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think the people in the cities think it IS the apocalypse outside, which is why the only people living outside the cities are resistance members or zombies. You only ever see random civilians on city maps because they were all either moved to the cities or killed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

I think the people in the cities think it IS the apocalypse outside, which is why the only people living outside the cities are resistance members or zombies. You only ever see random civilians on city maps because they were all either moved to the cities or killed

Yeah it's pretty much the ADVENT city centers, their outskirts which are heavily patrolled, and random resistance outposts, havens, and camps. The old human cities are bombed out husks that were gassed and now have zombies in them (and even the Ethereals don't know how the zombie thing happened), and a lot of the rest of the world is either still on fire based on the world map or having Earth's flora and fauna replaced with alien stuff. A huge chunk (or most, it's not really clear) of humanity is already dead.

Earth's pretty hosed! Though some Chosen dialogue hints that Earth's actually got it pretty easy as far as it goes. The Assassin will start to plead with XCOM to stop so Earth doesn't end up like previous planets did from the Terror From The Deep (though when you kill her she changes her mind and hopes you win). The Hunter doesn't really give a poo poo anymore and the Warlock waffles between outrage that XCOM dares to challenge the Elders and hoping they surrender to him so they can focus on that Terror.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 6, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Everything else being thematically uniform and consistent :crossarms:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly if even a small disaster happened, I'd immediately dress like a Fist of the North Star mook. It'd take way less than an alien invasion.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bradford you fucker, I didn't damage those supplies, an ADVENT Purifier burned them up while setting fire to some Lost. Don't loving blame me for it!

e; I assume there's still a decent proportion of humanity outside the ADVENT city centers, given that they're super eager to encourage emigration thereto.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 6, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Anarchy's Children has the best pants, both hot and assorted. It is, by far, the premier pants dlc in videogaming today.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I turn the Rookies Spawn With Mohawk meter right down to 0, because I hate fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has the Shadow Chamber ever actually told anyone the truth about number of enemies on a mission because getting megafucked by multiple gatekeepers long past I've killed the number of enemies it thinks is there is pretty lovely!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Has the Shadow Chamber ever actually told anyone the truth about number of enemies on a mission because getting megafucked by multiple gatekeepers long past I've killed the number of enemies it thinks is there is pretty lovely!

It 'technically' does tell the truth.
Just won't tell you that 3 of those 8 enemies are gatekeepers, only that gatekeepers are present.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It 'technically' does tell the truth.
Just won't tell you that 3 of those 8 enemies are gatekeepers, only that gatekeepers are present.

There was one more pod on the mission than the SC said there would be is the thing. :argh:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There was one more pod on the mission than the SC said there would be is the thing. :argh:

:xcom:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It depends, it could be a split pod of 2's and 3's. Do you use an enemy counter?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Shadowchamber's intel doesn't include reinforcements, so if you know the mission type you can anticipate an extra pod

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

temple posted:

It depends, it could be a split pod of 2's and 3's. Do you use an enemy counter?

Yeah, 13 vs 17. It happens all the time it's just annoying. It's regularly wrong on what enemies to expect too.

quote:

The Shadowchamber's intel doesn't include reinforcements, so if you know the mission type you can anticipate an extra pod

No reinforcements, though it was a little off later on the Blacksite because the Warlock showed up. It thought there'd be 14 or something. There were 45. :haw:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is it my bad luck or those missions where you have to extract a VIP (not the jailed ones type) always difficult? Seems like every time the map has very bad LOS and I end up activating 3 or 4 pods at once. Starting unconcealed doesn't really help.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is it my bad luck or those missions where you have to extract a VIP (not the jailed ones type) always difficult? Seems like every time the map has very bad LOS and I end up activating 3 or 4 pods at once. Starting unconcealed doesn't really help.

I can't seem to avoid activating two to three on any map now. They bunch together so closely that another either is right there or walks in while the first is engaged.

It's also harder for me to alpha strike things down it seems, in Commander or Legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mystic Stylez posted:

The only two times I managed to get that mission last campaign was my first and only casualty (RIP SPARK-001 :(), and the second was crashed halfway through by Bigg Spice the fuckin' Archon King, who devastated most of my team and was only killed because a Funlancer started the mission with us. I might have party wiped without him, but we managed to get everyone out alive, albeit mangled :patriot: