Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"It's a good law because nobody likes it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The truth is in the middle, don't you know.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn lol

Tariq Ramadan: "I'm the sixth pillar of islam !"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

unpacked robinhood posted:

Goddamn lol

Tariq Ramadan: "I'm the sixth pillar of islam !"

It is two days before the deadline. Juin is sitting at un tabac, morosely pulling on une Gauloise and staring at a lukewarm cup of Turkish offee.

A mec in front of him mutters to his friend: "Oh, those Charlie Hebdo folks sure do have a hard-on for Islam."

Juin brightens up, leaves a 20 euro note, and rushes out. There is art to be done.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
APLs are going down :toot:

C'est leur projet

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Again?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It is two days before the deadline. Juin is sitting at un tabac, morosely pulling on une Gauloise and staring at a lukewarm cup of Turkish offee.

A mec in front of him mutters to his friend: "Oh, those Charlie Hebdo folks sure do have a hard-on for Islam."

Juin brightens up, leaves a 20 euro note, and rushes out. There is art to be done.

Aaaand they're getting a shitload of death threats from the usual suspects, while journos try to squeeze something out of the jv.com idiotic debacle.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I am not at all surprised that Tariq Ramadan would be a rapist, by the way.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e:pointless

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 3, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

He isn't even making movies, lame

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
My pet peeve of the day is a Guardian article about the Académie Française saying gender-neutral writing will kill the French language (no less). Old men ranting at clouds get a whole article while the education minister gets two sentences.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

My pet peeve of the day is a Guardian article about the Académie Française saying gender-neutral writing will kill the French language (no less). Old men ranting at clouds get a whole article while the education minister gets two sentences.

Gender neutral writing is really awkward and painfully noisy imo.
It also used to mean you could ignore whatever what's written in it and it's not going to work anymore if it spreads.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The académie française sucks rear end tho

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Gender neutral writing is really awkward and painfully noisy imo.
It also used to mean you could ignore whatever what's written in it and it's not going to work anymore if it spreads.

Worth it to make the Académie clutch their pearls.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Problem is that French is one of these languages where the masculine gender is "weak" so it doesn't have markers and that makes it functionally equivalent to neutral.

For a comparison, in Spanish you have a masculine ending -o and a feminine ending -a. E.g. Latino and Latina. People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though). In French however, the feminine ending is -e and there's no masculine ending. So any attempt at making it gender-neutral has to include both an ending and the absence of an ending. There's no way you can do that without it being clumsy as all hell.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cat Mattress posted:

Problem is that French is one of these languages where the masculine gender is "weak" so it doesn't have markers and that makes it functionally equivalent to neutral.

For a comparison, in Spanish you have a masculine ending -o and a feminine ending -a. E.g. Latino and Latina. People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though). In French however, the feminine ending is -e and there's no masculine ending. So any attempt at making it gender-neutral has to include both an ending and the absence of an ending. There's no way you can do that without it being clumsy as all hell.

I suggest that we use English neologisms as a compromise. Joli or jolie? No, my friend, 't is "pretty".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

E.g. Latino and Latina. People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though)
Latinx and the Xtacles?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why the gently caress wouldn't spanish just use -e or -i as a gender neutral ending ahhhhhh

But yeah if I was going to gender neutral something in French I'd just go for the masculine ending.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HookShot posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't spanish just use -e or -i as a gender neutral ending ahhhhhh

But yeah if I was going to gender neutral something in French I'd just go for the masculine ending.

sexiste

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hebrew has a similar problem. I gave a talk in Hebrew for the first time a few months ago, and trying for gender neutrality basically meant jumping back and forth to keep even (the plurals in Hebrew are also extremely gendered, no luck there).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cat Mattress posted:

People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though).

From what I gather, they generally don't.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

God will this inane debate crop up every-loving-where?

Honestly, why does anyone give a poo poo about inclusive writing. It's mostly unobtrusive, has popped up for decades under many different forms - administrative letters using (e)s, stuff like that - and isn't hard to understand at all.

Hell, you'll even find it in speech. "M'sieurs-dames" is a perfect example.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though).

I've heard it pronounced as "Latinex" but it's criticized as anglicization too.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Supposedly hosed teen students too.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still laughing when I think of that cover

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

julian assflange posted:

Still laughing when I think of that cover

I wish we could make a picture the thread title.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/Valeurs/status/926165216961888256

:shepspends:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Surely that cannot be legal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And if they can't pay the tax on their jail cell, they go to debtor's prison.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Are they going to bill prisoners after release or what :psyduck:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what wonderful people centrists are... :chloe:

also, does she paint her face to end up that white or is she just a ghoul?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

what wonderful people centrists are... :chloe:

Boyer is a Républicaine

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hate that these people have usurped the name of the republic, given how their ideals are those of the Ancient Regime. I mean, Copé is the one who thought the abolition of privileges was unhealthy. Yes he really said that. How can these fuckers dare sully the name of the République by claiming to be its proponents?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

i mean, Copé is the one who thought the abolition of privileges was unhealthy. Yes he really said that. How can these fuckers dare sully the name of the République by claiming to be its proponents?
Yeah i remember his loving rant about the 4th of August, i mean what an horrible night all those towns and regions renouncing to their old regime privileges, the nightmare... :suicide:
Edit: also lol at the level of Tartufferie of Ramadan.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Shut the gently caress up forever, Dominique Strauss-Kahn

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cat Mattress posted:

I hate that these people have usurped the name of the republic, given how their ideals are those of the Ancient Regime.

I've always seen it more as them acknowledging that they're the same type of FYGM hypocrites that fill the US Republican Party.

Edit: Today in "ni de gauche, ni de gauche"

https://twitter.com/leLab_E1/status/927092573298221056

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 5, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

What did Macron do, sexually assault a migrant worker?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of sexual assault, more on Ramadan:

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/french-official-knew-of-tariq-ramadan-s-violent-sexual-encounters-but-failed-to-act-1.672183

quote:

"That he had many mistresses, that he consulted sites, that girls were brought to the hotel at the end of his lectures, that he invited them to undress, that some resisted and that he could become violent and aggressive, yes, but I have never heard of rapes, I am stunned," he told French magazine L’Obs.

"I knew he violently forced women to undress for him, but I would never have imagined he could be a rapist!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of sexual assault, more on Ramadan:

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/french-official-knew-of-tariq-ramadan-s-violent-sexual-encounters-but-failed-to-act-1.672183

"I knew he violently forced women to undress for him, but I would never have imagined he could be a rapist!"

lol what the gently caress