Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
when a game needs a fast-forward button to skip past the parts it knows people are going to find boring, the question you should be asking is "why do i have this part at all" not "how big should the speed multiplier be"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What if it told you, what you think is bad... is actually good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

when a game needs a fast-forward button to skip past the parts it knows people are going to find boring, the question you should be asking is "why do i have this part at all" not "how big should the speed multiplier be"

Every game would be better with a fast-forward button

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a bad take

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

This is a bad take

No, it's basic design sense.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Time for some game theory

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

It's not

Actually, it is.

Go on, tell me what that the transit time in Heat Signature is for. Maybe I haven't played enough of it and there's actually some fairly complex simulation going on in the background, maybe interesting events can happen to the player while they're jetting back to their home station and it isn't just dead space for the sake of dead space. Show me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s time to breathe out a sigh in relief because you were just being pursued by fifteen guards and had to escape through a window

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is how i feel about crystal chronicles but you would not believe how many people actually love the story and the random npc journal encounters so maybe the things you want to skip, are good, to people who aren't you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sense of scale to the universe. Ship alarm times are based on actual distance to nearest station. Because you actually travel through the space lanes you can capture side ships to attack your target because it doesn't matter whether enemies are armored or shielded if there's a huge hole in their ship and they got sucked out into the vacuum

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

this is how i feel about crystal chronicles but you would not believe how many people actually love the story and the random npc journal encounters so maybe the things you want to skip, are good, to people who aren't you

There is no story in this though. There's like two sentences of randomly generated personal motivation for each character which is either "get revenge on X for <bad thing-ing> Y" or "rescue friend from faction Z". It's a very pure game that relies 100% on its confidence in its gameplay. I respect it for taking that approach, but in this case the gameplay is just okay and the overall cycle is <core gameplay> <floating around in space while nothing happens, maybe on autopilot if you hijacked the last ship, otherwise doing the docking deceleration dance manually for the 12th time> <buy some stuff> <core gameplay>

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sense of scale to the universe. Ship alarm times are based on actual distance to nearest station. Because you actually travel through the space lanes you can capture side ships to attack your target because it doesn't matter whether enemies are armored or shielded if there's a huge hole in their ship and they got sucked out into the vacuum

Sense of scale is a terrible reason. Ship alarm times might as well be random, it's not like it gives you any reason to pick and choose when or where to jack the ship, you just get to it as fast as you can.

Hijacking randomly generated ships to crash them into the target does sound pretty cool, but it doesn't account for the transit time going home to get new missions. It also kinda sounds like it would end up bypassing most of the stealth gameplay if you did that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Nina posted:

This actually reminds me of like those LPs former Insomniac developers did and how they talked about how back in the day publishers would set actual potential playtime and feature quotas on games. A lot of stuff like new game plus features were simply born from "Okay we kinda have our vision laid out already but the publisher demands the playtime to be longer"

Actual footage of a videogame focus group.

Motto posted:

And it was a pretty different situation, console gaming being treated as a toy fad by companies that were overzealous in flooding the NA market, and even then only for a few years before Nintendo swept in. I think people just take "companies do bad, market dies" from that when it was neither as significant or comparable to today as they believe.

The big publishers have never been more profitable. Much of this is due to the transition to live service games and more integrated monetization systems. They've solved a lot of problems that hurt profitability during the previous console generation. For example, if someone picks up a game like Rainbow Six Siege used then Ubisoft can still make money off microstransactions and keep the customer engaged through content updates.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There is definitely something to be said about the importance of downtime in games, it's absolutely fine and good for there to be times when nothing at all is happening in most games as long as it's within reasonable limits. Instant respawn works for some games but it's not something I'd want to see in most of them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

There is definitely something to be said about the importance of downtime in games, it's absolutely fine and good for there to be times when nothing at all is happening in most games as long as it's within reasonable limits. Instant respawn works for some games but it's not something I'd want to see in most of them.

There's a difference between giving the player low-effort, low-stress stuff to do in between action sequences and literally nothing. Especially when the game already does a pretty decent job of the former -- when you finish a mission you're gonna want to buy replacements for expendable items, maybe upgrade if upgrades are available, pick out a station to liberate if you've earned enough, maybe even switch characters if your Liberation multiplier is starting to drop or you want to do one of the Defector missions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It also kinda sounds like it would end up bypassing most of the stealth gameplay if you did that.

Sure, except I don't know why you make this delineation between stuff like that and things you consider "actual" gameplay when they are all things you can do in the game, which it sounds like you are doing because of that complaint about waiting for things to deal with armored/shielded enemies as opposed to using the solutions you can do with easily available equipment.

For me the operational tempo of the game near the end sped up more than anything else. The flying felt good because I had done it so much that I could get those pod timings (that you found obnoxious) down perfectly so things just flowed and it was just part of the rhythm, the downbeat complement to the upbeat of the actual missions.

And yeah in the endgame I was bypassing tons of poo poo because I could complete missions through surgical strikes on the objective. But that is fun and cool and something enabled by the game's tools. It also meshes with the game's theming of a liberation movement gaining steam

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's how I felt about the recent FF12 rerelease. The game didn't actually feel any more engaging to me to play with the speed up, it just felt faster.

FF12 without any speed multipliers was legit way slower than I had remembered it being though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sure, except I don't know why you make this delineation between stuff like that and things you consider "actual" gameplay when they are all things you can do in the game, which it sounds like you are doing because of that complaint about waiting for things to deal with armored/shielded enemies as opposed to using the solutions you can do with easily available equipment.

You've misread me a little; "you can crash spaceships into each other" is something I hadn't thought of and I definitely wouldn't say that that's "not real gameplay."

In fact, I wouldn't even say that "decelerate to grab your pod / dock at a station" isn't real gameplay -- it's gameplay I hate, and it's boring gameplay after one or two times because there's no novelty left and it's not that hard, just hard enough that I still had to stop and think about it when all I really wanted was to already be on the next mission.

But Newtonian flight physics itself isn't the problem, lack of novel problems is. Crashing spaceships together when no two spaceships have the same layout or properties sounds like it would introduce those novel problems, which would be good.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 4, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What the gently caress was that Simpsons clip holy poo poo, I was cringing the entire time. It's somehow worse than family Guy

Anyways games getting canned isn't a huge deal to consumers imo, and it is in no way indicative of a gaming crash or anything like that.

There's just too much drat content coming out for the industry to even be marginally affected by whatever dumb poo poo the big companies are doing, the options are there so while we shouldn't celebrate crappy greedy corporate practices, they literally have zero detrimental effects on my enjoyment of gaming, and it's not like competitors wouldn't happily replace the Big Boys such as Activision or ea if given the chance

Just play some other poo poo if a company does things you don't like! Yes sometimes it sucks to skip over That One Game You Really Wanted but whatever, no shortage of games to play etc

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 4, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

actually its good in rtses because sometimes you want to see your plan play out and sometimes you need fine control

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There are very few games that wouldn't benefit from a fast forward button imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The best things about emulation are the fast-forward and save states

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

The best things about emulation are the fast-forward and save states

There are games I definitely wouldn't have played without speedhacks but that reflects poorly on those games (and probably on my own sense of what my time was worth then, for that matter).

Save states are a more complicated issue, there are games where they would absolutely ruin the experience if you used them for anything besides starting and quitting the game, and games where they're one more cool way to mess with a responsive game world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
turn-based rpgs, regardless of how fast the game is by default, are universally improved by fast forward

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Save states are a more complicated issue, there are games where they would absolutely ruin the experience if you used them for anything besides starting and quitting the game, and games where they're one more cool way to mess with a responsive game world.

You're not wrong (the obvious example is Dark Souls) but i am admittedly increasingly in favor of just letting people do whatever the gently caress they want in order to enjoy their game however they prefer. I played a lot of amazing classics on emulators and while the experience may have been altered in some cases, I still had a great time and got to enjoy celebrated titles on my own terms

It's a game! People play games to, well, play! Let people ruin dark souls or whatever if that's what they want to do. I always leaned towards the "nope, must keep artist's vision intact" but lately I'm starting to think that's just gamers being elitist. Once savestates start compromising Myazaki's design choices, maybe then I'll u-turn back into my original position. But for what it's worth, unofficial mods have done some amazing things for Dark Souls, especially once you've had your fill of the main campaign

Mario Oddyssey and BotW are a fantastic example of how providing options doesn't necessarily lead to this oft-mentioned scenario where the game is marred by compromised design choices

E: This also reminds me of playing home-grown games where the devs don't lock you out of digging into how the game was built, esp when done with an easy-to-use engine. I enjoyed playing their vision sure, but digging through their files and flying around having a blast is 10x more memorable most of the time. It's not a 1:1 example for commercial video games but you get the idea

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 4, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jfc new donk city is amazing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The rain effect when you first get there is :discourse:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Stop just stop making me want a switch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly it's had an insane first year and if Nintendo can keep up releasing at least one high profile game a month (ish) it might end up one of the best consoles of all time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep these past six months have been absolutely nuts.

Ironically, a friend of mine who regularly games on a beefy PC just decided to get a switch for 1) Rocket League and 2) Skyrim of all things

hell, more power to him, switch is real loving good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

aaaaah i bought the 9999 coin suit and im never taking it off. praise iwata

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A Switch plus PC is the optimum two-platform choice, I would say

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That still has a critical lack of Bloodborne

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I’m just sitting here watching Mario dance with the band in his pinstripe suit and fancy fedora, and listening to the sick music

This game 100% justifies the Switch entirely on its own

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hell yeah

no bloodborne sucks but it's ok I already played through it like five times

and dark souls 1-3 does an adequate enough job of filling in the Bloodborne-shaped hole in my heart

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

That still has a critical lack of Bloodborne

nah you can just play starbound on pc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my God the Festival

That was an actual song

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that sucks. I thought Hob was excellent but I think it got a bad reputation due to releasing with performance bugs, and also people wanting another torchlight and not a metroid-style exploration game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly it's had an insane first year and if Nintendo can keep up releasing at least one high profile game a month (ish) it might end up one of the best consoles of all time.

Its been great but its not a nintendo without major content gaps. They'll sneak a 6 month drought here and there over the next 4-6 years id still bet.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ps4 has been a good buy i havent missed not having a pc except when goons all have them and play together and i cant :qq: but the exclusives have been so good most of them own ps4 anyway so i can usually guilt a play session out of them.

• Locked thread