Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

E: dogge

RasperFat fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know, does avuncular and toddler-shooting-toddler discussion have its own separate thread where it's easy for those of us who don't care about it to avoid it?

I'm goona go for a walk on this but really. Is avoiding ideas because they are uncomfortable more important than understanding other people 's thoughts about said ideas that make you uncomfortable?

Priorities. :rolleyes:

Demanding a subject be removed from a conversation is... a philosophy class. :v:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 4, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/04/trump-first-year-office-244542

Even after a year of horror and years of the same behavior leading up to the election, journalists continue to nurture the idea that Donald Trump could have been and by extension might still be a normal president.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

:awesome:

It's, uh, normal to get hot and bothered by Kodachrome color saturation, right?

Don't be a creep

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

dont even fink about it posted:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/04/trump-first-year-office-244542

Even after a year of horror and years of the same behavior leading up to the election, journalists continue to nurture the idea that Donald Trump could have been and by extension might still be a normal president.

The media is begging to accept him and he can't see it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pieces like this are go-to examples in the quest to prove that American media has murdered the spirit of journalism at large.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Office Pig posted:

Pieces like this are go-to examples in the quest to prove that American media has murdered the spirit of journalism at large.

It's Politico, not journalism.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's the Tiger Beat of the Potomac

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

There were two constituencies that showed up to protest in Charlottesville: the white nationalists and 3% militia. The wn wanted to stir up poo poo, beat up black people, and kill counter protesters, the 3% wanted to demonstrate open carry and defend free speech absolutism. When someone was murdered the 3%ers promptly exfiltrated back to their gun ranges an promptly bothered no one. The wn keep showing up and committing violent acts. Prester Jane is quoting gun nuts and saying they are like other culties but that shouldn't impress anyone because non of them were particularly violent. And then she says that they were small groups so they didn't have a big impact but the 3%ers are much more numerous and armed to the teeth and the nazis are the same 50-200 assholes that show up at every rally. Who has proven to be more dangerous and grab more mindspace?

In real paramilitary insurgencies like in Serbia and Ukraine political groups will solicit local delinquents to form brigades and commit violence. You can't do this poo poo from a basement. The prototype for genocidal nationalism is other genocidal nationalism not apocalyptic paranoiacs.

I think I'm with you now, and I don't disagree with this post, but I wanna reiterate that the guy who actually killed someone at Charlottesville is a 20 year old meme magic 4chan reject. This isn't organized insurectionist violence, no, but it is part and parcel of a pretty common trend in right wing violence in the US.

No, these dudes aren't the master minds or stormtroopers of the coming fascist revolution, but they are dangerous, and so I'm not going to dismiss the trend I guess. Right wing media is increasingly radicalized and unipolar. Like, Alex Jones is a dude shaping the national discourse, and that's concerning! There doesn't need to be an insurrection for them to be a material threat.

Let's be clear, I'm far more concerned with state sanctioned violence than these fucks, but I think there's something worth discussing here :shrug:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump knew

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/us/politics/trump-jeff-sessions-russia.html

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Crow Jane posted:

Is there really such a thing as a good toddler, though? They're adorable, don't get me wrong, but they're also insane little shitheads

My nephew is incredibly cute and sweet, but then again, he has thrown a tantrum because wearing a CD rack is not a thing that is possible.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

We all knew, but this is evidence.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

my god, is this the best the antifa supersoldier serum can do?? all that soros money, wasted.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Phlegmatist posted:

my god, is this the best the antifa supersoldier serum can do?? all that soros money, wasted.

I mean, according to the RWM he apparently has his own personal permanent portal to the Elemental Plane of Currency, so it's not like it'll bother him any.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

This wouldn't get past the IRS.

As a rule, every dollar's worth of compensation you get for your work is taxable. This includes non-cash benefits, which are taxed at their fair market value. Since schools allow people to pay their own way through graduate school, it's pretty easy to figure out what "fair market value" means for a given student employee who gets a tuition waiver: it's whatever somebody who didn't get that waiver would have to pay.

There is a list of fringe benefits which are exempt from this taxation, including stuff like health insurance and tuition assistance. If the new tax bill takes tuition assistance off this list, then the semantic trick of saying, "oh, it's not a waiver, tuition just happens to be free for employees" won't work. The IRS will take one look at what it costs for non-employees and tax the difference.

If you ever find yourself thinking, "but it'll be OK with the IRS if I just call it something different, right?" the answer is "no."

This inspired me to look at the relevant tax code, which seems to have a clause that scholarships and grants are not tax free if they are given for teaching, research, or other services, except as specified in part (d), which is the part that the new tax code would strike down.

Originally, I was going to argue that graduate tuition waivers might continue under the same tack as athletic scholarships. Apparently, athletic scholarships have gotten around the "other services" clause with an IRS ruling that the athletic activity is "primarily educational" so long as the university expects, but not requires, athletic participation. However the IRS has declined to enforce the last rule, and many universities include clauses requiring athletic participation. It seems like it would be pretty easy to argue that graduate research and teaching work is largely educational, as the employment is awarded only to students at the particular school, the work is entry-level work related to the profession, and skill development is an important part of an assistantship. However, schools definitely wouldn't "expect but not require" assistantship-related work, so that's probably out, even if that condition is never enforced for athletic scholarships.

This all highlights how tuition waivers and assistantships are very different from fringe educational benefits for standard employment, however. Candidate selection for assistantships is subordinate to selection for entry into the graduate program and the positions themselves are designed primarily around developing profession-related skills.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burn the elf but not Trump. That skin will probably burn into hydrogen fluoride along with carbon dioxide.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/926619770618859521

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Can part of his job be sucking on an exhaust pipe?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Phlegmatist posted:

This was truly the Bowling Green massacre.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Phlegmatist posted:

That is unirocally the spin the right is going with here. They are currently crowing about all the Soros money that has been wasted (billions was invested into this), because apparently "the left" spent even more money on this and were expecting a bigger turnout than the womens march. Trump supporters have cowed Antifa by their show of unified patriotism. Right now they are all busy jacking off to fantasies of how to press the advantage from here.

This is basically just like when Otherkin fight and win a major battle on the astral plane. Except that Otherkin do not have state actors and business interests confirming and reinforcing their delusions. As a result they are going to really believe they accomplished something today and they are going to experiment with living that fantasy out in the open as much as possible by becoming more belligerent and provocative.

They think they just called Antifa's bluff. In the short term they will be too busy jacking themselves off to accomplish much, in the middle term this will lead to more provocation and in the longer term this is all trending towards higher levels of radicalization.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 4, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Prester Jane posted:

This is basically just like when Otherkin fight and win a major battle on the astral plane.

"..."
- Cloud, Final Fantasy 7

Caros
May 14, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

This is basically just like when Otherkin fight and win a major battle on the astral plane. Except that Otherkin do not have state actors and business interests confirming and reinforcing their delusions. As a result they are going to really believe they accomplished something today and they are going to experiment with living that fantasy out in the open as much as possible by becoming more belligerent and provocative.

Yes, conservatives are just like otherkin winning battles on the astral plane.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

botany posted:

"..."
- Cloud, Final Fantasy 7

Let me elaborate. Otherkin will all reinforce their collective delusions by fighting imaginary matrix-style battles on the "astral plane" against each other and/or rival groups of Otherkin. Differing groups would agree on a major battle to be fought, pretend to fight said battle by "astral projecting" at the same time, and then each privately declare themselves the winner whilst squabbling about it all online. This event is the exact same thing.

The right just invented an emotionally-real-but-otherwise-imaginary big important battle to go fight, pretended to fight it, and then are now declaring themselves the winners. Same basic thing as what I described above with Otherkin. Presently the right are circle jerking themselves over their huge victory (which is emotionally real and welds them all the closer to their personal delusions/inner narrative) and once the fun of that settles down they will kick their fantasies up a notch or two.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Prester I think people would be more receptive if you could use... like... any other analogy.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Prester Jane posted:

Let me elaborate.

please don't

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

Let me elaborate. Otherkin will all reinforce their collective delusions by fighting imaginary matrix-style battles on the "astral plane" against each other and/or rival groups of Otherkin. Differing groups would agree on a major battle to be fought, pretend to fight said battle by "astral projecting" at the same time, and then each privately declare themselves the winner whilst squabbling about it all online. This event is the exact same thing.

Oh, now it all makes sense! I was pretty confused for a moment.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Prester Jane posted:

In the short term they will be too busy jacking themselves off to accomplish much,

hell, :same:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Prester Jane posted:

That is unirocally the spin the right is going with here. They are currently crowing about all the Soros money that has been wasted (billions was invested into this), because apparently "the left" spent even more money on this and were expecting a bigger turnout than the womens march. Trump supporters have cowed Antifa by their show of unified patriotism. Right now they are all busy jacking off to fantasies of how to press the advantage from here.

They think they just called Antifa's bluff. In the short term they will be too busy jacking themselves off to accomplish much, in the middle term this will lead to more provocation and in the longer term this is all trending towards higher levels of radicalization.

Carter Page testimony comes out next week.

I was a dumb kid too once.

My main critique of your posts has always been and remains that you know the crazies well, but you don't know of or account for the institutions or members of them that have agency as well. It doesn't mean what you're saying is without value but you lack perspective.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 4, 2017

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I don’t actually know what otherkin is and I refuse to put it into Google.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

vaginadeathgrip posted:

People who believe they are mythical creatures in another universe/previous life and thus are that thing. Basically, furries but with faries and dragons and poo poo.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

vaginadeathgrip posted:

They're like furries but instead of wearing a colorful wolf suit, they believe they are actually a 37th dimension grand werewolf wizard who can totally melt your brain with their psychic energy.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm really starting to rethink my stance on mandatory re-education camps.

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Clusters of mentally ill people.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Caros
May 14, 2008

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Google "Severe mental illness" and it should give you a rundown.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

vaginadeathgrip posted:

They're like neonazis, but they have no say in anything so they invent mystic wars to fight in instead of politics.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

vaginadeathgrip posted:

This is the safest choice. Protect yourself.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

I'm goona go for a walk on this but really. Is avoiding ideas because they are uncomfortable more important than understanding other people 's thoughts about said ideas that make you uncomfortable?

Priorities. :rolleyes:

Demanding a subject be removed from a conversation is... a philosophy class. :v:

I don't see what's so difficult to understand about having discussions in the right places - it's kind of why we have different threads in the first place, so people can discuss things they're interested in and not discuss things they're not interested in. Multiple people in this thread clearly have no interest in PJ's posting so it would make sense for her posts to go in the thread that was created for them.

If anyone else was posting here about "otherkin" they'd be laughed out of the thread, but somehow PJ gets a pass.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Isn't there a bit in Atlas Shrugged where the main character breaks into a factory and shoots dead a security guard, then waxes for 15 pages how it was good and great that she did it?

A = A

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't see what's so difficult to understand about having discussions in the right places - it's kind of why we have different threads in the first place, so people can discuss things they're interested in and not discuss things they're not interested in. Multiple people in this thread clearly have no interest in PJ's posting so it would make sense for her posts to go in the thread that was created for them.

Actually a lot of people in the thread do have interest in it and people like you just have to throw a pathetic fit every single time she posts. Just put her on ignore and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Your Taint posted:

This was truly the Bowling Green massacre.

Turns out Kelly Ann Conway isn't a liar, she's just from the future. That's why she looks so haggard; time travel really wears you out.

• Locked thread