Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Woof Blitzer posted:

I like how I have to go to headquarters every month for 19 more months to verify that I am still in fact employed. Thanks VA

Care to elaborate on this a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
For an apprenticeship the VA must receive a paper that says I worked at least 160 hours every month

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oh poo poo I was thinking about doing that too. Sounds annoying.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It's not worth it unless your employer already pays for your degree and you need to cash out

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Cole you should.contact the Dept head asap and ask for guidance

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I go to a small school with a tiny faculty.

One of our professors‘s mom was having health issues, so our professor was going out of town and missing a bunch of classes. Her mom died this last weekend and she’s going to have to miss MORE classes.

She is leading a small independent study group that I am a part of. It’s categorized as an internship for three credits.

We have been lost in the sauce for the last few weeks and now we don’t know what we are supposed to do. We have benchmarks that are supposed to be met but like I said, we aren’t sure what we are supposed to be doing.

I don’t want to gently caress this up because I feel like I could use this as an opportunity to get a letter of recommendation from a CFO, which could carry a LOT of influence for me going forward. But at the same time I want to be sensitive to the professor since her mom dying is a real issue.

I’m kind of just venting. But I’m also wondering if anyone has ever run into a situation like this and what they did about it? On one hand I feel like complaining is selfish but at the same time I have a lot of stake in this internship.

I think inaction is worse than no action. I don't really know the details, but if you act on your own and gently caress things up really bad it'd probably be the same as doing nothing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Your Battle Buddy posted:

I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders.

Nerd

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Was just hoping to trigger someone

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soulex posted:

Let me know how the GrE is. I’m on the way to doing it, just have to finish planning my senior year.

Trip Report: Math is only up to the bare loving minimum of trig and baby statistics. Verbal got pretty tricky if you got on a roll. Been out of school three and a half years, pulled 160 math/ 162 verbal. Still waiting on essays. Guessing 4.5/5. I spent maybe two days an hour a pop looking at a study guide and it was more than sufficient prep. I would recommend looking up style guidelines for the essays. They were definitely angling for particular structure. Helped a lot knowing that going in. Essays at the begining of the test are some bullshit.

E: Scores came back. 4 for the essay. Good enough.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 8, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Got my grad school application done. Everything looking like I'll be able to do full-time work and full-time school and drawing GI Bill fun bucks for the next two years, getting my MS and then PE shortly there after without having to work for another consultant :toot:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nice! Good luck with the app.

I’ve got one week left before a six week holiday break. 1/6 the way to finishing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Today I found out that my school pays an average of $30 per paper JSTOR. This came up because one of the business professors brought up the case of the Reddit guy who was downloading the entire archive at MIT and releasing it for free.

gently caress that non-profit institution bs, and I hope it burns to the ground. None of that money gets back to the people who worked and wrote the papers, and only a tiny bit to those who funded the research.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

M_Gargantua posted:

Today I found out that my school pays an average of $30 per paper JSTOR. This came up because one of the business professors brought up the case of the Reddit guy who was downloading the entire archive at MIT and releasing it for free.

gently caress that non-profit institution bs, and I hope it burns to the ground. None of that money gets back to the people who worked and wrote the papers, and only a tiny bit to those who funded the research.

The people who wrote them are generally tenure track academics or more likely the PhD students who do not pay for school, generally.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
jstor is non-profit and immensely useful. im sure they have some wasteful overhead/excessive compensation/etc, but it costs money to license, digitize, store and deliver data to users as well as develop new services. maybe not $30/journal article, but certainly more than $free.

as far as compensation to article writers: they generally dont get paid for submitting articles to journals anyways.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also you generally have to pay to be published. Just today I got the yearly round-up of publishing costs for our usual periodicals, and it's $1000-$4000 per article for some fairly specific journals. No idea what getting published in something really prestigious like Nature costs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Also you generally have to pay to be published. Just today I got the yearly round-up of publishing costs for our usual periodicals, and it's $1000-$4000 per article for some fairly specific journals. No idea what getting published in something really prestigious like Nature costs.

The waiting list on things like Nature or Cell are measured in like, years. Unless you flat out reinvent the wheel, of course. Then some poor chob gets bumped.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, but all of those are bad things™. Its also a bad thing™ that unless you pay to play nobody will take your research seriously, and you can't cross reference anybody elses studies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m getting resistance from my Voc Rehab counselor about going for my masters. She’s insisting I’m doing just an undergraduate but I really want to continue. How do I get her to say “ok fine.”

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
One of my former sailors is applying to colleges for undergrad. Problem is he is seriously underselling himself. He did really well on his SATs but is only applying to mid tier schools. After some pushing he's finally acceded to apply to one Ivy league. But he wants my advice on which one to apply to. Honestly I have no idea and that it's up to him. So I'm referring to you guys, which of the Ivies is most veteran friendly?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Which one is in an area with a program that interests him? I narrowed my school choice by program, location, cost, alumni/network and reputation. Also location/program can effect who hires out of there as well. Cost might not be big on his list if the government is paying for it.

Edit: He needs to shoot high so he knows he isn't continually selling himself short but sometimes the difference between top 10 and top 50 isn't all that large. It can be better to look a tiny bit lower.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 18, 2017

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Howard Phillips posted:

One of my former sailors is applying to colleges for undergrad. Problem is he is seriously underselling himself. He did really well on his SATs but is only applying to mid tier schools. After some pushing he's finally acceded to apply to one Ivy league. But he wants my advice on which one to apply to. Honestly I have no idea and that it's up to him. So I'm referring to you guys, which of the Ivies is most veteran friendly?

All the Ivies are "veteran friendly" in that they won't poo poo in your mouth for being an amoral war criminal. You're another student, albeit with some unique life experiences. As long as you don't bring up "Well, when I was in Iraq..." during calculus class, you'll be fine. What it comes down to is the health of the community and how much aid the school is willing to give.

Columbia has the largest number of undergrad vets, but their financial aid is not good. It's also pretty easy to get in as a vet. Dartmouth is probably second. Smaller vet community, better FA. Yale has like 10 vets, but according to a friend of mine who just graduated they aren't very well-represented. Good FA though. Harvard is Harvard. Tell your friend to stop being a pussy and apply to all of them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I pulled the veteran card when I got out.

I didn’t deserve anything but community college based on past academics. I never even took the SAT or ACT. Now? I’m considering applying to Ivy League for grad school because why the hell not?

Looking back, I should have applied to Ivy League for undergrad. I have appreciated the education I have received and it’s totally been worth it, but I also sold myself short as well. If he does the same thing, he will look back in 2-3 years and wonder if he should have aimed higher.

Even if he isn’t selling himself short and he’s dumber than a piece of wood, apply to some great schools anyway. You never know.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

Guy I know just got into MIT and is liking it. But also depending on what he did when he was in the extra work associated with a high tier school is not worth it. If he's trying to get a foot in the door of something that is completely specialized then yeah, but for things like a business degree or accounting then a regular state school is more than good enough. Every company wants a degree in "Thing" but they only care about the school and the GPA if you've got nothing else to judge based on. Grunt + Accounting degree is better than inexperienced 22yo + Yale Accounting Degree. (Baring nepotism etc)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

M_Gargantua posted:

Guy I know just got into MIT and is liking it. But also depending on what he did when he was in the extra work associated with a high tier school is not worth it. If he's trying to get a foot in the door of something that is completely specialized then yeah, but for things like a business degree or accounting then a regular state school is more than good enough. Every company wants a degree in "Thing" but they only care about the school and the GPA if you've got nothing else to judge based on. Grunt + Accounting degree is better than inexperienced 22yo + Yale Accounting Degree. (Baring nepotism etc)

if its on the job application, it almost certainly matters.

you're also supposing that ivy league grads are competing for the same jobs as non-ivy league grads. i don't mean to imply that there is some shadow job market for them or a special linked in. however, i'd suspect that, between the networking potential, the alumni network and the schools own placement services, they're generally not competing for the same jobs as state university grads.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

vains posted:

if its on the job application, it almost certainly matters.

you're also supposing that ivy league grads are competing for the same jobs as non-ivy league grads. i don't mean to imply that there is some shadow job market for them or a special linked in. however, i'd suspect that, between the networking potential, the alumni network and the schools own placement services, they're generally not competing for the same jobs as state university grads.

This is true. There are specific circumstances when it comes to program, location or company interest in which state schools can match up better, especially when you account for cost and ease of getting in but this requires careful consideration. Program outcome and school ranking should be two of the top metrics for evaluation.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Apply to Columbia. They have yellow ribbon and the least dysfunctional systems in place to integrate a veteran. Many other ivies fail here, or simply have too few veterans to have bothered to develop the admin expertise to support. I’m serious — Columbia has 400+ student vet undergrads, the other 7 have a few dozen combined.

There are also the non ivy ivies — Stanford, MIT, UChicago, Georgetown, etc. basically the same as far as education, opportunities, alumni network, etc.

More importantly: finishing a BA at any school, ivy or not, is wasted time if you don’t know what you want to do after. “Finding yourself” in college should by now, in 2017, be a thoroughly dispelled myth. From day one of undergrad you should be planning your courses, targeting internships, planning fellowship and conference applications, getting involved with the right clubs, etc. Don’t want to do that? Fine, but someone competing against you for your job did that. It didn’t make them better qualified but they made more friends doing those things and so they’re getting the job you thought you wanted.

The meritocracy isn’t the deciding factor unless you’re in STEM, period. So apply that to the first step and all next steps in education.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
All solid advice. Thank you very much.

Yeah I'm gonna tell him to focus on Columbia and apply to others as well. When I was in I read "Hillbilly Elegy" J. D. Vance and it made me realize a lot about all the young people in the military. I was an immigrant and a prior enlisted officer but still this book gave me a huge perspective on the lack of opportunity and the state of economic oppression in our country. So my best friend on the ship, himself a child of privilege who came from the tri state private school to Ivy league to now PhD in Ivy league, we went on a mission to talk to our guys for real. Both of us were getting out and a lot of the senior NCOs (Navy chiefs) hated us because a couple of really smart capable guys decided to get out. We weren't pushing people to separate but just gave them raw advice.

Anyways now a lot of guys still hit me up for advice on commissioning programs or opportunities post military. The thing that gets me is that beyond race, religion, and sex, the economic disparity in this country is huge. The military has a disproportional percentage of people coming from the fly over country and rural areas. In my 12 years in the Navy I rarely ever came across enlisted guys/girls from new england or major cities, it was mostly Texas, the South, and minorities looking for opportunity.

People say America is a land of opportunity, that's true, but not everyone has equal access to that opportunity. Like LBJ said after he spent time teaching poor Mexican kids in Cotulla, Texas long before he became a big shot in Congress, so much of our country is mired in the "tentacles of circumstance."

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think that it's important to have a realistic idea of what a school in the Ivy League is and isn't. Each of the eight schools in the league have a certain amount of cultural cachet and name recognition - some more than others. But you can get the exact same, or even better, name recognition from a Duke or UT or whatever. Each school does have a lot of money, so funding is never really a problem. As far as academics are concerned, at the undergrad level"good" or "very good" are the baseline for each program at the school. However, that isn't to say that every IL school excels at every subject, just that you can't really go wrong studying any subject. But if you really, really want to study mechanical engineering then you won't be best served by a Yale versus a Stanford or MIT. However, if you just kind of want to do mech e while also moonlighting in the drama department, then Yale might be a better fit.

Your buddy should also understand that academics at any of these schools are also nut-stompingly hard. Think about it: while you're doing your 300 pages of reading for the week, all the while feeling like a complete idiot fraud, you're competing for grades against the kids who have been raised in laboratories to be genius scholars while also being captain of every team they've been on (and some they haven't been on), who are also musical prodigies and artists. These people also think that they're idiot frauds, and will chew adderall like they're candy from a Pez dispenser just to prove to Dad that they're not complete fuckups. Your friend will have to out-work them in order to get his 'A'.

But most important of all, if your friend is intellectually curious, the IL schools do a very good job at putting resources towards students pursuing their passions. Love foreign languages? There are grants for that (I got a few). Are you unhealthily obsessed with international politics? They have internships at the UN just for you. Do you just loving love anime? There are multiple courses for that.

One little side note: if your buddy can get into Harvard, tell him to go there. It literally doesn't matter what you study; the name alone will get him far.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

I think that it's important to have a realistic idea of what a school in the Ivy League is and isn't. Each of the eight schools in the league have a certain amount of cultural cachet and name recognition - some more than others. But you can get the exact same, or even better, name recognition from a Duke or UT or whatever. Each school does have a lot of money, so funding is never really a problem. As far as academics are concerned, at the undergrad level"good" or "very good" are the baseline for each program at the school. However, that isn't to say that every IL school excels at every subject, just that you can't really go wrong studying any subject. But if you really, really want to study mechanical engineering then you won't be best served by a Yale versus a Stanford or MIT. However, if you just kind of want to do mech e while also moonlighting in the drama department, then Yale might be a better fit.

Your buddy should also understand that academics at any of these schools are also nut-stompingly hard. Think about it: while you're doing your 300 pages of reading for the week, all the while feeling like a complete idiot fraud, you're competing for grades against the kids who have been raised in laboratories to be genius scholars while also being captain of every team they've been on (and some they haven't been on), who are also musical prodigies and artists. These people also think that they're idiot frauds, and will chew adderall like they're candy from a Pez dispenser just to prove to Dad that they're not complete fuckups. Your friend will have to out-work them in order to get his 'A'.

But most important of all, if your friend is intellectually curious, the IL schools do a very good job at putting resources towards students pursuing their passions. Love foreign languages? There are grants for that (I got a few). Are you unhealthily obsessed with international politics? They have internships at the UN just for you. Do you just loving love anime? There are multiple courses for that.

One little side note: if your buddy can get into Harvard, tell him to go there. It literally doesn't matter what you study; the name alone will get him far.

Yeah, what he said.
(Deathy passed thru the grinder and speaks from firsthand knowledge)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How important is fafsa for grad school?

I get my bachelors in May. I may or may not be going to grad school in fall 2018. Not sure yet. But I’m going to be there within the next two years.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Do you have money and how long will you be there? Does the school have a bunch of financial support? Are you going to have a job and work through it and will they cover tuition? Will your benefits last through grad school and cover incidentals?

FAFSA is covering my tuition for grad school so I can live off savings for 2 years as I do not have a job that will support my further education and working through this would be awful.

It only takes a couple minutes to apply and you can always decline the money.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 22, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Here's my situation:

I'm hoping to get hired at a firm with a start date in September/October. This particular firm offers tuition assistance of $7000 per year (which has gone up marginally every year). Tuition assistance is a pretty common thing with most of the firms I have looked at. If I get hired, I'll work for a year and begin grad school in the Fall of 2019.

I'll be graduating with my bachelor's with 135 credit hours. I need 150 to get my CPA license (which I'll need to get within 2-3 years in order to remain competitive for promotions). If I get hired, I will take as many night classes as I feasibly can in order to get the 150, and then I will chip away slowly for the rest of the Master's degree. The 15 credits should take two semesters based on the curriculum I've seen.

I'm also very debt averse. Even to what can be considered "good debt" like student loans. I made a credit card payment a few days ago of $3 because I hate debt.

The last couple of years I've only used FAFSA for grant money, which I have heard isn't a thing in grad school like it is for undergrad. Voc Rehab shouldn't be a hard sell since I need 150 credit hours to be a public accountant, so tuition may or may not be an issue at all.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah my school does that as well so most accountant majors just go to grad school for their CPA.

Just fill it out, if you need it, you can take it. If you don't need it, you don't have to take it. It's good to have a backup so you don't have to worry about money and can just focus on finishing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It’ll help more than hurt. I’m gonna do it later.

My school has asked me to come out and shoot men and women’s basketball because they liked what I did so much with the men’s soccer team.

I essentially take pictures of the players and give it back to them. I’m not associated with any of the media otherwise for my school. It’s just cool though, that something that started off as being a volunteer for one specific has evolved into a bigger and better thing.

Problem is, I don’t know basketball. Like what the gently caress is a field goal?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
remember to look away when someone attempts a chaos dunk or else it'll be like indiana jones opening the ark

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A field goal is just a normal two or three point shot.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
A field goal is when they throw the puck through the backboard.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

lightpole posted:

A field goal is when they throw the puck through the backboard.
Unless it's in the Bonus Box, where it only counts if it's been through a wicket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Naked Bear posted:

Unless it's in the Bonus Box, where it only counts if it's been through a wicket.

A double is from the top of the key (a home run is from behind the meatballs)