Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

voltroon posted:

Wouldn't a community of otherkin where everyone was the same character devolve into infighting about who were 'fakes' and doubles? I thought one of the core components of otherkin-ness was believing you are "literally, actually, irl" your chosen character. Or are there multiple Noids in canon?

Only when the Narrative comes under threat leading to a Compaction Cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mantis42 posted:

We tried to avoid the Noid question.

:golfclap:

No but seriously I'm surprised that some people can't recognize that everyone has narrative spheres they exist in and it can blind us to and completely avoid intersection with reality or other people's perspectives.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The disintegration of public truths (by figures like Trump) and apocalyptic cult groups are probably not unrelated.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

happyhippy posted:

Isn't there a bit in Atlas Shrugged where the main character breaks into a factory and shoots dead a security guard, then waxes for 15 pages how it was good and great that she did it?

A = A

They’re going Question on us.

I want you to understand something, SA. Although my distaste for Paul as a human being is brobdingnagian, what I'm about to do isn't personal. Everything that exists has a specific nature. Each entity exists as something in particular and has characteristics that are part of what it is. A is A, and no matter what reality he calls home, Paul is Paul. If I'm to save the world, his existence must come to an end before he takes office (again).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BrandorKP posted:

The disintegration of public truths (by figures like Trump) and apocalyptic cult groups are probably not unrelated.

I can't help but feel this isn't at least in part a result of people feeling like they have a right to be horrible without consequence, you know a core part of wider internet culture right now.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PJ, repeatedly using otherkin as the anchoring analogy to your ideas about the social dynamics of the alt right and related topics is like being that guy who talks about leading a world of warcraft guild in his job interview.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

I mean, they're all nerds who hate conflict. They'd probably be fine just tolerating it or justifying it somehow, I doubt it'd even reach a Three Christs of Ypsilanti level.

You've obviously never looked at the 'kin drama' tag on Tumblr.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morbus posted:

PJ, repeatedly using otherkin as the anchoring analogy to your ideas about the social dynamics of the alt right and related topics is like being that guy who talks about leading a world of warcraft guild in his job interview.

i mean if you can spin it the right way and dont mention what it actually is, you can totally list that on your resume. 'lead a group of volunteers in my free time.' 'what did you do?' 'oh, you know, uh, played games with children with mental health issues'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fox News pulled impeachment ads

quote:

Fox News has pulled an ad by San Francisco billionaire Tom Steyer calling for President Donald Trump to be impeached, prompting questions about the motivation for Fox’s decision.

The ads having been running across the U.S. for two weeks, and Steyer bought a second week of advertising in a prime time Fox News slot on October 27 as part of the $11 million ad buy.

Fox News confirmed it had pulled the ad. “Due to the strong negative reaction to their ad by our viewers, we could not in good conscience take their money,” the channel’s co-president Jack Abernethy said.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/fox-news-pulls-tom-steyers-impeach-trump-ad/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

I can't help but feel this isn't at least in part a result of people feeling like they have a right to be horrible without consequence, you know a core part of wider internet culture right now.

That's an erosion of how to be in the world too.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

They've gone full State Media, huh?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whatever happened to the free market...

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

voltroon posted:

They've gone full State Media, huh?

Which goes back to my question from a day or or so ago, who has the absolute final say (other than the owner, duh) about what ads air? Didn't John Oliver pay to get smartass ads on 'Fox and Friends?'

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Will this actually cost them money? How could it not? Don't they have trouble filling advertising slots lately?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Young Freud posted:

Newsweek makes a clickbaity statement: Las Vegas gunman was a Trump supporter, happy with President because stock market was going well

However, Paddock had a lot in relation to Trump, mostly his need for status and narcissism.

According to the Las Vegas NOW interview with the sheriff, Paddock had been planning on this since October 2016, so I'm wondering if he was planning on a Hillary victory. Given the planning of the event, the attempt to obfuscate his position, the surveillance of the hallways, and his vehicle with the unrigged explosives, I would think he probably had thought he could get away and have the blame put on Muslims or Antifa.

If you're interested, Lombardo makes the "Trump" statement at about 4:10 in the second interview.

But antifa are the dangerous people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

:golfclap:

No but seriously I'm surprised that some people can't recognize that everyone has narrative spheres they exist in and it can blind us to and completely avoid intersection with reality or other people's perspectives.

Sure but that doesn't make us narrativists or make one person's analysis based on this point more insightful than anyone else doing the exact same thing. Echo chambers, media filters, sub cultures, information flow through social networks are all variations on the theme of human biases and how they impact our ingesting of information, our worldviews and our decisions.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

KickerOfMice posted:

We all knew, but this is evidence.

I don't get how people could have ever argued that Trump was unaware his whole campaign was essentially a series of Matryoshka dolls.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

So is it late enough in the day to turn off the Patriot Annihilator Laser Disco Ball with a Black Hood on it, yet?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Morbus posted:

I know someone who used that successfully in her promotion-to-supervisor interview, amusingly enough :v:

I actually agree with your overall point you just picked a funny specific example

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

So is it late enough in the day to turn off the Patriot Annihilator Laser Disco Ball with a Black Hood on it, yet?

How many white parents' heads you got?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Censorship! CENSORSHIP! RAAAAARRGHHHH!!!!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Special snowflakes can’t handle a 30 second ad :qq:

Seriously the projection of these fuckers. I get it every drat day in work. but they are so drat entitled and get beyond angry at the SLIGHTEST of inconvenience but are more than eager to be smug and claim that younger generations are lazy/oversensitive/etc.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KickerOfMice posted:

How many white parents' heads you got?

Wait, we were supposed to get headS?

I think my cell leader may have made a typo. :ohdear: :hf: :gay:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Seriously the projection of these fuckers. I get it every drat day in work. but they are so drat entitled and get beyond angry at the SLIGHTEST of inconvenience but are more than eager to be smug and claim that younger generations are lazy/oversensitive/etc.

Yeah but they worked for that convenience, unlike those illegals!!!!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, wouldn't want to remove any safe spots from Conservative snowflakes, right?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
And now here we have the exact same basic behavior pattern (Cluster-B personality disorder creating a small Narrativist cult), just this time occurring with a Jesus theme. This particular example also includes a good demonstration of getting your delusions reinforced can lead to massive escalation because this group actually loving brutually murdered someone at the command of the leader (who walked on charges). Cracked: 7 Horror Movie Scenes I Lived Inside a Real Apocalyptic Cult

Cracked posted:

7.) I Didn't Know It Was a Cult Until I Left

There's a certain type of person we expect to wind up as the member of an apocalyptic cult: glassy-eyed, thoroughly insane, possibly sprouting tentacles. Boze Herrington and his friends never wanted to be cultists; they started out as normal, run-of-the-mill college nerds:

"When I joined a prayer group in the fall of 2007, we were just five college friends with a shared interest in fantasy novels and Harry Potter. We'd go to the movies together and meet up once a day to pray -- pretty unexceptional stuff for a group of religious kids going to college in Texas."

Within five years, that mild-mannered prayer group had relocated to Kansas City and grown from five members to 20. They cut off contact with their families and lived together in two gender-segregated houses. To fill out their crazy-cult bingo card, they started identifying themselves as God's "final army" and dedicated their free time to training for the apocalypse.

If it sounds like lunacy, then you'd be right, because that's textbook goddamn lunacy. Winding up in a cult can be a little like binge drinking with your friends: you don't quite realize how hosed up you got until you wake up alone and hungover the next morning. Boze was kicked out of his cult for asking too many questions in 2012:

"Only then did I start to realize I had broken free from a cult. If you'd asked me about the cult leader prior to that, I'd have said he was the kindest person I knew. If you'd accused me of being a cult member, I'd have mocked you -- even during the eight months** they shunned me with silence in my own house."

Seven months later, another cult member murdered one of Boze's friends, allegedly at the behest of their leader. So how the hell did nobody notice the crazy until it leveled up into murder? Well ...

The cult was originally the "religious version of a fraternity," in Boze's words. Things really amped up when Tyler moved the group to Kansas City to separate them even further from their families. The prayer group was the center of these kid's social lives and also the only familiar thing in a strange new town. Questioning Tyler meant the risk of losing that one bit of familiarity, so most people just didn't:

"He claimed he was an end-times apostle and that God spoke to him. As the group started to grow, he weeded out the members who were more apt to pose questions, to confront. The ones who were left believed that we were not supposed to question people who have spoken with God, so we didn't."

5.) A Mainstream Church Validated Our Most Insane Beliefs:

The cult started off as an offshoot of the International House of Prayer. The less-fun IHOP is a major church and "university" affiliated with something called the New Apostolic Reformation. The NAR is a vast network of prophets and apostles active across the United States, Australia and even South Korea. There are 3 million estimated American attendees of NAR churches. And that South Korean NAR church we mentioned is the largest megachurch in the world, with more than a million members.

NAR leaders teach that in the next 20 to 50 years, before Jesus returns, the entire Christian church will be led by apostles. These apostles have the power to forgive sins, release blessings and curses, and bind high-ranking demonic spirits. They can control the weather, cause earthquakes, and unleash death and destruction on nonbelievers.

In other words, some brilliant, cynical people took all the best elements of Harry Potter and the X-Men, mashed them together, and started a church about it.

"When we got involved with them, Tyler read a book called The Final Quest, which is a cheesy fantasy novel that claims to be a prophetic vision of the end times."

"We were all nerds, so this sort of adventure narrative fit us like a glove. And it spurred Tyler on to some truly crazy 'visions.' The first big dramatic shift away from 'prayer group' to 'cult' occurred when Tyler suddenly claimed to literally see an army of demons on our campus. Now God was calling him to train the 'last generation' for spiritual warfare."

None of this upset the church leaders at the time. It was more physically active, but no less crazy than the apocalyptic prophecies they preached every weekend. After the terrible murder that ended Tyler's cult once and for all (hopefully), Boze sought counseling from the International House of Prayer.

"I tried to come to terms with my former belief under Tyler, that I had been called to battle the forces of the Antichrist, which I now saw as a lie. But the counselor didn't agree with me. His beliefs fell squarely in line with Tyler's. I was told, 'No, Tyler was right about that.'"

4.) The Cult Piggybacked Off of Our Pop Culture Brainwashing

Boze and his friends had grown up watching The Matrix and reading the Narnia books, dreaming of the day they'd get their acceptance letter from Hogwarts. What they don't tell you in those stories is that if a strange bearded man approaches you in the dark with stories of "wizard school," the education you're about to receive isn't going to make you better at anything but repressing memories.

"According to Tyler, he had first gotten the 'word of the Lord' to start a prayer group during a midnight release party for the last Harry Potter book. He returned to school after this episode with a special revelation that everything we had ever known was a lie and that there was a deeper reality beyond what our eyes could see. He was offering us a chance to join him in leading a spiritual revolution. Who could refuse?"

Well, we should rephrase that: What nerd could refuse?

"We went together to watch Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince during opening night. We left the theater at 3 a.m., and Tyler said, 'God spoke to me twice during that movie. The first time was when Harry was trapped in the water and Dumbledore pulled him out with a lasso of fire, and God said that's how he'd protect me. And then later, during Dumbledore's funeral, God said, 'That's how it's going to be whenever someone dies in this group. You have to keep moving; you can't let it stop you.'"

2) Things happening around us seemed to confirm our beliefs.

"During one particular prayer session at our university chapel, two members of our group tried to heal a friend of ours who had cerebral palsy, through God. In the midst of a prayer trance, they ran over to her wheelchair. One of them knelt down, grabbed our friend's knees, and said, 'In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I command you to stand up and WALK!'

"She writhed and stretched her limbs hopefully, longingly. She tried to get out of her seat, but nothing happened. Undeterred, the two group members continued praying. They eventually unstrapped her legs from the wheelchair, and each grabbed one of her arms.

"She flailed her feet helplessly. While the two members held her up, she put one foot forward, then another. The rest of us crowded around her. 'I don't believe it,' one of us said, looking around with wide eyes. 'That right there is an honest-to-God miracle,' said another, grinning with all her teeth. 'A mi-ra-cle.'

"The ones who helped her walk hugged each other tightly. People began texting their friends who had already left. Others prayed in tongues. They all seemed to agree that something extraordinary had just happened."

Except it hadn't. Their friend had always been capable of walking a little: "she could only do it for a short period of time, and she had to use crutches. The two group members, in this case, had acted as her crutches.

**An "internal Compaction cycle", a variant that occurs when a Narrativist cult has become too insular over the long term to replace the depletion of thier numbers normally caused by a Compacion cycle

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 4, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Overwined posted:

This is loving class warfare plain and simple. I have not yet seen a more bald attempt by our current wannabe oligarchs to keep the lower classes under their heels. It's loving disgusting.

Just because the rich are trying (and succeeding) in killing poor people doesn't mean they should be executed en masse. The real danger is those uppity poor and downtrodden. :foxnews:

e:

Endorph posted:

i mean if you can spin it the right way and dont mention what it actually is, you can totally list that on your resume. 'lead a group of volunteers in my free time.' 'what did you do?' 'oh, you know, uh, played games with children with mental health issues'

I talked about raiding in FF14 in a job interview before. :shrug:

Because one of the managers also played it. :getin:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 4, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/ICIJorg/status/926932184530866177

the icij, who released the panama papers, is readying to drop another bombshell

stay tuned

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

QuoProQuid posted:

stay tuned

Already read it. Apparently Kevin Spacey is gay.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...that looks more like an announcement for a new relaxation tape.

"Experience mindfulness in utter rage as we expose more evidence of the utter corruption of global society!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Will this actually cost them money? How could it not? Don't they have trouble filling advertising slots lately?

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/923310756850012161

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

*throws powdered sugar in Liquid Communism's Face*

"Your powers don't work here demon"

i lol'd heartily

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PoliticalShort/status/926902374236528640

reported it was a neighbor

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

stay tuned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

No, I'm not ready for your next project.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Three million?! This is a reminder for me that there are entire massive subcultures out there that I still have not heard of.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Already read it. Apparently Kevin Spacey is gay.

Kevin Spacey is gay and a sexual assailant. Heard an interview on NPR earlier this week saying that it's likely that he's about to be the next Harvey Weinstein in terms of the seriousness of the allegations against him. So far there's just one, but apparently this was another 'well-known secret' type deal.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mister Adequate posted:

They should never have booted Dean from head of the DNC.

I don't care how old this is, it's still loving true.

What did Obama have against this guy, anyway?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/govhowarddean/status/747044702332006400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/JimTrotter_NFL/status/926929271246880768

I can't keep track of AFC teams, someone tell me why they're actually awful.

Also, incoming Glorious Peoples Republic of Pacifica to unite with the Nation of Hollywood?

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/926912065381502981

• Locked thread