Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Probably Magic posted:

a historically abysmal Baylor team

Even before today, this isn't even in the bottom five worst Baylor teams I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can we fire Shannon too?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

General Dog posted:

Even before today, this isn't even in the bottom five worst Baylor teams I've ever seen

Either way, Kansas is demonstrably worse than Liberty this year.

I mean, I realize Baylor has been slowly getting some semblance of composure together as the weeks have progressed, but... why hasn't Kansas done the same? They look worse than they did their first week.

I'm not sure what the solution is. But I don't think Beaty is going to justify that extension at its end.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

MourningView posted:

Their recruiting has gone way up under Beaty. He's a good recruiter. You can only recruit so well at Kansas. They need someone who can develop the guys they actually can get, or scheme around the talent limitations that they're always going to have. That guy is probably not the person who managed to have a crappy offense with Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, and an NFL backfield. You can't just drop Miles into the worst program in FBS and expect him to get even close to his down years at LSU.
Outside of a dip here and there, their classes have been pretty consistent in below average since Turner Gill (lol). I don't think Beaty is doing anything particularly spectacular.

Fixing Kansas Football is going to take a long time and more than one coach unless they somehow land their own version of Snyder.

They need to start by hiring a better search firm and finding an AD that can land an actual legit coach and con boosters into investing a lot more money into the program.

If all else fails, offer a ton of money and unlimited co-eds to attract Lane Kiffin.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

vyst posted:

Can we fire Shannon too?

Let's just save some cash and keep him until the end of the season. It'll be further evidence for shitcanning of the entire staff.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Fire Kliff Kingsbury

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Can we fire Shannon too?

Nothing matters really. This team isn't any better with Nuss as HC. Or Mac.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Either way, Kansas is demonstrably worse than Liberty this year.

I mean, I realize Baylor has been slowly getting some semblance of composure together as the weeks have progressed, but... why hasn't Kansas done the same? They look worse than they did their first week.

I'm not sure what the solution is. But I don't think Beaty is going to justify that extension at its end.

Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say he's in over his head at this point. Yeah Weis left a bad situation, but three years in there's still not much excuse to be this bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

LiquidFriend posted:

If all else fails, offer a ton of money and unlimited co-eds to attract Lane Kiffin.

I would legit just root for another school if Kiffin became coach. I loving hate Lane.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

vyst posted:

Can we fire Shannon too?

Fire them all into the Sun, God will know his own.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

an adult beverage posted:

Fire them all into the Sun, God will know his own.

Shannon gonna be flyin' around makin' plays.

If you ever wondered what being a cane fan was like, now you know.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/AllKindsWeather/status/926905974203600897

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm not mad at Sumlin, I'm just disappointed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

can't wait for the next coach who will fix floridas offense

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

vyst posted:

Can we fire Shannon too?

I’d keep him as LB Coach/Co-Dc

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

I'm not mad at Sumlin, I'm just disappointed.

Thats just mom for mad.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Local media is making GBS threads themselves over the idea of Clawson to Florida but am I the only one who doesn't see Florida wanting him?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Local media is making GBS threads themselves over the idea of Clawson to Florida but am I the only one who doesn't see Florida wanting him?

Who is a Clawson?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Who is a Clawson?

Wake Forest coach. Well known as a program builder.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wake Forest coach. Well known as a program builder.

Ah. I haven't seen that name come up anywhere in the last week, for whatever that's worth.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Dilber posted:

Shannon gonna be flyin' around makin' plays.

If you ever wondered what being a cane fan was like, now you know.

My favorite Randy Shannon memory was a UF win over Miami where Urbz called for a meaningless garbage time field goal and then Randy Shannon proceeded to spend his postgame press conference whining about RUTS.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I’d keep him as LB Coach/Co-Dc

Isn't his appeal that he's a great recruiter right? I wouldn't mind having him still around as a Co-DC or position coach if he can recruit south Florida.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
i sincerely hope the razorbacks lose today so there can be no doubt that bielema is gone at the end of the year. this is a pathetic effort. I guess that raises the question of the hell would even want to coach at Arkansas?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ehud posted:

Who is a Clawson?

Fun fact he was the OC (his first year) for Fulmer when got fired. He replaced Coach Cut when he left for Duke. That said his offensive was one of the main reasons Fulmer got fired.

From Wiki:

quote:

With Clawson as their offensive coordinator, Tennessee suffered its worst statistical offensive season in over 30 years.

In his defense the rumor was his offensive was super complicated, and that it usual takes time for before teams catch on. That said Fulmer was on the hot seat without Cut there.

Also I bet the 2017 offensive is worse than the 2008 team.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Poco posted:

i sincerely hope the razorbacks lose today so there can be no doubt that bielema is gone at the end of the year. this is a pathetic effort. I guess that raises the question of the hell would even want to coach at Arkansas?

Maybe Paul Chryst wants to get away from Barry Alvarez also.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Arkansas needed a two-minute drill to beat Coastal Carolina at home

Goodbye Bert

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bert's going to be a good get for somebody, I have a hard time believing he's just forgotten how to coach. Something is wrong at Arkansas.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

Bert's going to be a good get for somebody, I have a hard time believing he's just forgotten how to coach. Something is wrong at Arkansas.

What evidence is there that he’s ever been a particularly good head coach? Wisconsin looked that same under him as it looks under everyone and he has like one decent year at Arkansas.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Given Gary Andersen's performance (and Bert's) maybe we're all just overrating Wisconsin coaches

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Given Gary Andersen's performance (and Bert's) maybe we're all just overrating Wisconsin coaches

Wisconsin Head Coach Barry Alvarez is actually extremely good

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
There is no way Mike Riley is still coaching at Nebraska next year, right?

Right?

:smith:

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 5, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Laterite posted:

There is no way Mike Riley is coaching at Nebraska next year, right?

Right?

:smith:

Depends on if Florida lands Scott Frost. At least Nebraska's options are limited. Next year, either Riley of Scott Frost will be coaching Nebraska.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Depends on if Florida lands Scott Frost. At least Nebraska's options are limited. Next year, either Riley of Scott Frost will be coaching Nebraska.

I don't think their options are so limited that they can't do better than Mike Riley.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

This is silly, there are a ton of other coaches they could hire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Matt Campbell
Ken Niumatalolo
Troy Calhoun
Willie Fritz
Craig Bohl
Neal Brown
A** B*****

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

can't stop double posting

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I meant more along the lines of keeping him a year to lower the buyout. Its a bad look if you can't land the top prospect coach who was the face of your school for a while. Better to just keep Riley and go after then top guy next year. It would be like if Tebow was the hot coaching name and he turned down Florida for another school.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Next year they might be competing with Texas A&M, UCLA, etc.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Wisconsin Head Coach Barry Alvarez is actually extremely good

He also got Nebraska into the Big 10 :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Barry Alvarez should coach every Wisconsin bowl game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Benne posted:

Arkansas needed a two-minute drill to beat Coastal Carolina at home

Goodbye Bert

has a head coach ever been fired the week after pulling out a win before asking for a friend

• Locked thread