Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think ADOM would be a million times better if they cut the world map and merged every actually unique dungeon into the main one as a branch and also just gave everyone the equivalent of healing 100 and cut the skill from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I actually like ADOM's world map as a concept. It lends a lot to its theme. What I don't like is how goddamn perilous it is. I have lost many a character to inescapable ambushes.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

the world map and routing around its travel time with the corruption clock is like the coolest unique thing about adom.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

dredmor's chargen still needs somebody to use it in a better game

I originally started ttymor because I thought that most of Dredmor's issues were UI-related, so fixing those while leaving the gameplay intact should result in a significantly better game, while also acting as a framework for people to implement other games using a similar concept.

I need to return to that project someday.

Too Shy Guy posted:

The dual class system in Titan Quest and Grim Dawn is close enough for me, but yeah I'd like to see more of that sort of open-ended combining.

ToME4 is the closest I've seen -- the unlockable Adventurer class lets you pick a bunch of skill lines from any normal class. Unlike Dredmor, though, each one is only four skills long, and no effort has been made to balance skills from different classes against each other, so it's fun but also kinda broken.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cough cough DUNGEONMANS

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every time I read the word Dungeonmans, it's in the same voice as the Trojan Man.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's madjack's birthday today, so a good day to buy Dungeonmans if you haven't.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every time I read the word Dungeonmans, it's in the same voice as the Trojan Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z54MpfR3XE4

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Golden Krone Hotel's soundtrack is pretty amazing

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Every year or so I will check to see if Hokuto no Rogue has had any updates and i get disappointed that it hasn't.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every single person here is an apologist for some bad game.

Nethack is a fantastic game, sir :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

ToME4 is the closest I've seen -- the unlockable Adventurer class lets you pick a bunch of skill lines from any normal class. Unlike Dredmor, though, each one is only four skills long, and no effort has been made to balance skills from different classes against each other, so it's fun but also kinda broken.

poo poo, I should play ToME4 again and see if my ridiculous "what is damage" tri-mindstar-wielding shield-stacking damage-ignoring attrition build is still any good.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

the world map and routing around its travel time with the corruption clock is like the coolest unique thing about adom.

If love to see adom's corruption mechanics in a more visual game.

Also the addition of some random dungeons did wonders in making getting an AoLS not feel like a grind because you're exploring a new dungeon and not running in circles in the ID. I realize its dice rolls but I haven't had to grind an amulet since those dungeons got added.

Theres not even much routing for ultras anyway. Tweak your first kill and depending on luck put off crowning for awhile. The tower is the only point where going for an ultra feels really different until 90% through the main quest.

Though I still think a good AoLS solution would be to make it like the puppy cave and have Khelly be in good health if you get there before a time limit.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Because of you assholes, I launched ADOM again, made a mist elf priest with the Candle sign and tuned the stats to boost St and To as high as they would go, left just enough points unspent to get four talents and bought Heir and Alert for later Treasure Hunter (since I have to skip all the iron crap lying around). The Mist Elf Priest Heir Gift is a blessed swift eternium mace of the Sun, which smears most early mobs across the dungeon in a fine paste, and the starting elven chain mail ain't bad either. Candle + Priestly healing mostly makes up for a mediocre (rather than terrible) Toughness and since you are an elf you start with a bow.

Of course, in the process of throwing several of these into the Small Cave grinder to get one UD run prepped ADOM somehow locked its score file twice and crashed started experiencing an error every time I died subsequently, trying to save the game at that single instant. :argh:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every single person here is an apologist for some bad game.

i've decided i'm going to whiteknight slash'em extended

for a good laugh take a look at the race and class selection and post which one confuses or offends you the most. truly this is the best version of nethack

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

for a good laugh take a look at the race and class selection and post which one confuses or offends you the most. truly this is the best version of nethack
Joke's on you, I'm too casual to figure any of that out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

i've decided i'm going to whiteknight slash'em extended

quote:

loli
The internet was a mistake.

Nethack Wiki posted:

The Transvestite is a role specific to Slash'EM Extended. They are a melee combat class, and can be any race or alignment. Some of their features may seem offensive to some players, but Amy Bluescreenofdeath (creator of Slash'EM Extended) explicitly states it's not meant to offend anyone; rather, the Transvestite role is just meant to be unique. Slash'EM Extended is just a video game; NHINRL. Also, the role's inclusion in the game does not represent any things that real-life transvestites do; instead, it's based on Amy's own bizarre fantasies.
:ironicat:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Joke's on you, I'm too casual to figure any of that out.

you've forced my hand. here's a selection of some of the weirdest poo poo on the wiki

Races posted:

American - All skills are restricted for them, which means they are a harder-than-hard race. However, when combined with the Gladiator role, they may learn random techniques on leveling up.

Batman - Starts with good intrinsics and big bonuses to throwing boomerangs, but is penalized for hitting intelligent monsters of the other gender. Bats are usually peaceful to them.

Redditor - Starts with stun resistance, but as soon as they reach XL10 they will also be permanently stunned. Thanks to the resistance this will not make them hit their pet or step into lava though.

Segfaulter - Enables both the player and monsters to spit segfault venoms, which corrupt the savegame beyond any means of repair. Not recommended.

Classes posted:

Goffs are constantly high on acid, and they're also very slow so they're very hard to keep alive. The first thing they need to do (unless their player read spoilers) is figuring out what their starting inventory actually is, and even if they find a way to stop the hallucinations (which is possible), their slow movement speed will make the entire game much harder. Finding an item that gives permanent speed (preferably "very fast", e.g. speed boots) should be the Goff's top priority. However, they also need to adhere to the "anorexia conduct" that puts restrictions on eating, and if that wasn't enough, they're also permanently vampiric meaning they can only drain fresh blood from corpses. This means that unless they find a ring of slow digestion, they'll constantly be low on food.

Prostitutes are relatively weak in combat, but they can #chat to intelligent monsters to have sex, which will cause the player to gain money instead of paying some. However, this prevents the chat command from interacting with the NPC in other ways, which means that divine protection cannot be bought. Also, claw attacks will paralyze the player, even while already paralyzed, which can cause chain paralysis.

YSexymates move at slowest speed, and they only have access to a select few skills. But they are one of very few characters that gain access to both the poke ball and attire charm techniques at once, and their starting pair of feminine pumps is guaranteed to be +7 which, in combination with the ability to reach expert skill in martial arts, allows the YSexymate to make short work of early game monsters. They will have a hard time with dragons and other thick-skinned opponents, though their starting pet is also very strong, dealing up to 32 unarmed damage per round.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

The internet was a mistake.

:ironicat:

and yeeeep those.

also fun is there's a bunch of stupid new trap types. there's one that makes you have to solve a Captcha which is actually pretty funny. there's also one that makes you poop. because why not.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's been a long time since I've played SLASH'EM it seems. I don't remember it being so...outrageous.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

It's been a long time since I've played SLASH'EM it seems. I don't remember it being so...outrageous.

SLASH'EM is fine. This monstrosity is SLASH'EM Extended. as far as i'm aware its maintainer is the only person that plays it seriously or has beaten it at all

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Oh no I purposely made an ADOM character with minimum strength to try and exploit starting equipment bumping it up, but decided to try a bard which doesn't start with anything heavy so now I just have 5 strength.

Edit: The game is suddenly loaded with overlays explaining commands and word balloons for characters talking and I very much want to not have these things.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 4, 2017

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

Oh no I purposely made an ADOM character with minimum strength to try and exploit starting equipment bumping it up, but decided to try a bard which doesn't start with anything heavy so now I just have 5 strength.

Edit: The game is suddenly loaded with overlays explaining commands and word balloons for characters talking and I very much want to not have these things.

those are brand new and you can turn them off in the = menu i think. the command explanation is "show newbie advice" i think and the speech bubble one is the only one that mentions speech bubbles so that's pretty easy to spot. Biskup's Attempts At Appealing To Casuals

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Slash'Em Extended is an interesting idea in theory but the only test for getting in as far as I'm aware is whether it compiles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cogmind: Is there any way to deal with enemies that have sensors/x-ray vision and wall piercing guns besides murdering them?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Any of you has played Hero Siege? I saw it reccommended elsewhere and I'm curious, I like twin stick shooters with roguelike elements but I'm super bad at them, never beaten Nuclear Throne.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Slash'em is cool and all, but has it even won roguelike of the year?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Angry Lobster posted:

Any of you has played Hero Siege? I saw it reccommended elsewhere and I'm curious, I like twin stick shooters with roguelike elements but I'm super bad at them, never beaten Nuclear Throne.
I bought it a while ago when it was super cheap. I will admit I didn't play it multiplayer, but it really feels like it's designed for multiplayer - you kind of "cap out" on the relevant skill upgrades too soon to do it any other way and it feels like too many of trash waves if you're playing solo. Most of the item drops feel generic, like a badly tuned version of Isaac. Boss designs didn't suck, I actually enjoyed the little voice clips the characters used (usually those get on my nerves eventually), I wouldn't mind going back to it sometime but I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

If you go back and read the patch notes for Hero Siege, it reads like the patch notes for AI War: Fleet Command. They're continually adding new systems and ripping out old ones to try and make the game polished; I don't know if it works. Recently they changed the game from an arena wave-based game to open-world, and changed the entire multiplayer/lobby system.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Hero Siege felt like a glorified flash game and the multiplayer was very buggy last I played like 2 years ago.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Cryptark this morning :toot:

My 3yo has been insisting on Cryptark a lot lately -- by which I mean, he starts it up and picks a mode and an exo, then tells me to play while he gives me instructions like "we want to explode the factory so we can see the wrench repair it, but don't set off the alarm!" -- but I finally convinced him to pick Excavation Mode rather than Rogue or Campaign and cleared it on the first try. He thinks the blacksuits are cool. :3:

I've only got three artifacts left now, but two of them are "Campaign 4+: 3 max hull" and "Campaign 5+: $80k loadout", so I'm not confident I'll ever get those.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Angry Lobster posted:

I have tried it and would say it's not great. I'm not good at Nuclear Throne either but Hero Siege does not have screen shake or any of the other things that make me want to try again anyway like NT does.

e: Glorified flash game is extremely on the money.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ok, I'll pass then, will look elsewhere to scratch my roguelite itch. Thanks for the feedback.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I haven't played Hero Siege, but Monolith is very good. If I had to rate the top down shooter genre based on what I've played I'd say 1) Nuclear Throne 2) Monolith and 3) Enter the Gungeon. I did not like Deathstate, but I'm in the minority on that one

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 5, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

God dammit now when I get home from work I’ll have to explain why ADOM is true trash and why I still decided to ultra it with a human farmer and will drat well do it again with a volcanic cataclysm eating the chain once he finally finishes his updates in another six years

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I haven't played Hero Siege, but Monolith is very good. If I had to rate the top down shooter genre based on what I've played I'd say 1) Nuclear Throne 2) Monolith and 3) Enter the Gungeon. I did not like Deathstate, but I'm in the minority on that one

You'd rank Gungeon above Cryptark? Really?

I mean, yes, artistically it's side-on, but mechanically it's a top-down shooter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have not played Cryptark. I've had my eye on it though. I'm much more interested now that you've compared it to these.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Black August posted:

God dammit now when I get home from work I’ll have to explain why ADOM is true trash and why I still decided to ultra it with a human farmer and will drat well do it again with a volcanic cataclysm eating the chain once he finally finishes his updates in another six years

holy poo poo I read this post before reading the username and I knew it was you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I have not played Cryptark. I've had my eye on it though. I'm much more interested now that you've compared it to these.

Here's how I would describe these games:
  • Nuclear Throne: you enter a fugue state of constant violence and explosions.
  • Monolith: a cute, competent, but shallow and short twin-stick shooter.
  • Gungeon: plink, plink, plink, plink.
  • Cryptark: If I do everything exactly right, this mission will be easy! Wait, where did that leviathan come from?

If I had to rank them, it'd be Nuclear Throne > Cryptark > Monolith >>> Gungeon. The first three are all good games though, so check 'em out. Gungeon, on the other hand, is very much not to my tastes. The other games have much tighter pacing: in Nuclear Throne and Monolith both the entire game takes maybe 15-20 minutes. Cryptark is a little slower but is also set up so you can easily put the game down between missions and come back later. Even if you don't, a reasonably completionist run takes 45 minutes to an hour. Gungeon runs start at the hour length, and they just feel. so. slow. Why do I have to shoot these dumb little popcorn enemies so many times before they finally die? Why do I have to stop and reload my weapons all the time? Why are the levels so huge and yet so empty?

I love Gungeon's aesthetic and concept, and I was super-hyped for the game before it launched, but man they needed to run that game through the distillery a few more times to get a tighter play experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I deeply appreciate the hunter class in Gungeon for starting with a weapon that can actually one-shot the popcorn.