Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RareAcumen posted:

I'd prefer if he went Queen of Hearts but considering how sue-happy Disney can be I can't say I'm holding my breath on that one happening.

He did also mention that FFIX is his favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqZgR_t9HU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hence the joke. Though fwiw, Queen Brahne's pretty much as close as Square's come to doing an old school Queen of Hearts-style Final Fantasy villain, so it also kinda works.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf02JPFdDhQ

Wrestling With Wregret is going to be covering all of the Marine films by WWE Studios this month.

edit: And as a bit of wrestling without context, John Cena was stabbed in a nightclub by Jesus to prevent him from defending his US championship at Armageddon.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 3, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to say I read multiple comments of people who watched Contra's and Blair's other debate and came over to Contra's side. They were Blaire fans until they saw Contra and learned a whole new way of seeing things. Maybe we can't convince everyone or even 10% of everyone. But it's not like she is giving Blaire any credibility by appearing on her channel. Things like No Platforming exist to keep these shitlords down but there is no keeping Blaire down on her own YouTube channel.

All debating with Blaire will do is reinforce the opinions of most of her lovely followers but maybe 1% will open their mind to someone actually intelligent and moral. That is worth the time wasted on her, I think.

Baka-nin posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I'm a big fan of Hugo's work (in the middle of 1793) and loved Lindsay's Les Miserables one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIy8rhhh9NE

I've only read Les Mis but it was absolutely amazing. I've wanted to read Nore Dame de Paris and Lindsay's review made me curious about something.

She brushed off Book Frollo as just an attempted rapist but is what I've heard true that he's a more nuanced character in the novel than in the Disney movie? Hugo is not a big fan of religion no matter how awesome the Bishop was and I could easily see his depiction of Frollo being more an attack on unhealthy Catholic traditionalism than the character himself. Frollo could be presented more as a product of a lovely system han as just an awful human being like "Judge Frollo" was.

But, as I said, never read the book so I can't say and was curious what someone who has read it has to say about Frollo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, well I see the reasoning behind his pick now.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

World Of Warcraft? No, you don't actually want servers with earlier versions on it. You think you do, because you've forgotten all the poo poo like weapon skills, only one class being allowed to tank, grinding mobs to level being optimal, and a whole bunch of other poo poo. Which is why Blizzard won't do it (because it won't retain players and get shut down), and you won't commit to a pirated server that you know will be shut down.

MisterBibs posted:

According to someone six months ago, even the most popular private server had a mere 37,000 accounts, with most far less. Another article on the topic has private servers advertising that they have active player numbers in the thousands.

Booming, they are not. Examples that players want to play obsolete versions of WoW, they are most definitely not.

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZyiYOzsSw

BLIZZARD IS RELEASING VANILLA SERVERS

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Corek posted:

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAH

lmao

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ok, that’s pretty funny

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Classic Final Fantasy XIV is probably the one that most likely will never come back, when it comes to older version of MMOs. It was a radically different game both in game design and tech design. It would be neat to see, but that's a shitload of work for little return. FFXIV is at its best right now, though I do think the models do need an overhaul. They're not bad but they're starting to show their age.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean XIV 1.0 nearly ruined Square-Enix completely so yeah I don't see them wanting to remind people of that. Besides, XI is still around for people who have a fondness for that more harsh, archaic style of Japanese mmo.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Someone just needs to put that in the OP for easy access. Because I have a feeling it's gonna be used often.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It should be his avatar

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Make it his mandatory signature

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Surgically fuse it to every one of his posts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Corek posted:

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAH

:discourse:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

so i'm now apparently going to lead a (small) group discussion to introduce people at a college campus to youtubers??? specifically ones that focus on media criticism, ideally connecting to feminism/LGBT stuff. I've got a few ideas in mind but I don't spend THAT much time watching videos. I'd be interested in any names people here might want to throw out

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

She brushed off Book Frollo as just an attempted rapist but is what I've heard true that he's a more nuanced character in the novel than in the Disney movie? Hugo is not a big fan of religion no matter how awesome the Bishop was and I could easily see his depiction of Frollo being more an attack on unhealthy Catholic traditionalism than the character himself. Frollo could be presented more as a product of a lovely system han as just an awful human being like "Judge Frollo" was.

But, as I said, never read the book so I can't say and was curious what someone who has read it has to say about Frollo.

Ooof, well I'm a little embarrassed to admit but I read Notre Dame many years ago, before I watched the Disney film so now when I think about the book its coloured by the film. Like I picture Frollo as Judge Frollo physically, even though that isn't how he's described. With that in mind I'm not sure if nuance is the right word, but he is different, especially with his relationship to Quasimodo. Disney basically split him into the Judge and the Archdeacon personality wise but its not really two halves situation its more of a constant mixing with his darker side coming out on top more often. He's more of a father figure to Quasimodo but definitely exploits that relationship for his own ends.

Your idea is interesting but I didn't really get that impression reading it. Frollo wasn't really a typical traditional Catholic, he was more of a cross between a priest and a sorcerer and he was personally driven. The rapist part is accurate though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

Ooof, well I'm a little embarrassed to admit but I read Notre Dame many years ago, before I watched the Disney film so now when I think about the book its coloured by the film. Like I picture Frollo as Judge Frollo physically, even though that isn't how he's described. With that in mind I'm not sure if nuance is the right word, but he is different, especially with his relationship to Quasimodo. Disney basically split him into the Judge and the Archdeacon personality wise but its not really two halves situation its more of a constant mixing with his darker side coming out on top more often. He's more of a father figure to Quasimodo but definitely exploits that relationship for his own ends.

Your idea is interesting but I didn't really get that impression reading it. Frollo wasn't really a typical traditional Catholic, he was more of a cross between a priest and a sorcerer and he was personally driven. The rapist part is accurate though.

Hm, fair enough. I just know from Les Mis he was not a big fan of religious monasticism and I wondered if Frollo being a sex-obsessed bastard was supposed to relate to the whole priests must be celibate thing which I would imagine Hugo saw as barbaric and unhealthy.

Thank you for the info.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Not to be a personal-life-question-asker, but...

So I recall in one of the recent Midnight Screenings episodes, Brad mentioned "his fiancee", rather than girlfriend (or Laura). It was only the one time, so I assumed he mispoke.

Tonight on Twitter there's a bunch of bachelor party pictures posted by Brad (and others of the Brad Cinematic Universe with @thecinemasnob tagged).

So-- is he getting married, or is that someone else?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lornekates posted:

Not to be a personal-life-question-asker, but...

So I recall in one of the recent Midnight Screenings episodes, Brad mentioned "his fiancee", rather than girlfriend (or Laura). It was only the one time, so I assumed he mispoke.

Tonight on Twitter there's a bunch of bachelor party pictures posted by Brad (and others of the Brad Cinematic Universe with @thecinemasnob tagged).

So-- is he getting married, or is that someone else?

It’s probably best he keep his personal life off the internet after last time. Lindsay Ellis is keeping her life far away from her content too, and that has to be the smart choice. Whoever’s party it was, I hope he had a fun time.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

business hammocks posted:

It’s probably best he keep his personal life off the internet after last time. Lindsay Ellis is keeping her life far away from her content too, and that has to be the smart choice. Whoever’s party it was, I hope he had a fun time.

Oh for sure, it was more of a curiosity since it was coming from his account.

Though with Lindsay, I imagine this third-act-twist where it turns out she's engaged to a French person whose actual last name is "Fiancee" and whose actual first name translates to "Tea".

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lornekates posted:

Oh for sure, it was more of a curiosity since it was coming from his account.

Though with Lindsay, I imagine this third-act-twist where it turns out she's engaged to a French person whose actual last name is "Fiancee" and whose actual first name translates to "Tea".
So like Grizz's fiancée, Feyoncé?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

It should be his avatar

ok

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well i'll be

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Brad did kinda of live his personal life online for a few years, especially when he was married the first time and even later when all the Jake drama went down, I guess he's decided to tone that down more recently, which might be smarter. Sarah and Brian are the best non-Lupa members of Team Cinema Snob, for future reference.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqKhJku39C8

Hurray, more Baywatching! With extra Newmie!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Monster Hunter World will not have microtransaction-fueled loot boxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7fJTSZ1vog

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Monster Hunter World will not have microtransaction-fueled loot boxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7fJTSZ1vog

makes sense, those didn't exist in the PS2-era and as such would be completely unfitting for a Monster Hunter game

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Like how it's completely unfitting for a WWE game or an NBA game or a Forza game?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Monster Hunter is a great argument for why loot boxes are such a terrible idea. If they just integrated things they sell in loot boxes into the actual gameplay it would make the game better. Instead, they're separated into bullshit mystery boxes, turning what could be a rewarding experience into a grind (or more of a grind, in some cases).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alacron posted:

Like how it's completely unfitting for a WWE game or an NBA game or a Forza game?

don't worry kid, you'll get jokes eventually

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it wasn't a very good joke tbqh

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TheMaestroso posted:

Monster Hunter is a great argument for why loot boxes are such a terrible idea. If they just integrated things they sell in loot boxes into the actual gameplay it would make the game better. Instead, they're separated into bullshit mystery boxes, turning what could be a rewarding experience into a grind (or more of a grind, in some cases).

you say this as if Monster Hunter isn't already a huge grind

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

you say this as if Monster Hunter isn't already a huge grind

TheMaestroso posted:

(or more of a grind, in some cases).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Monhun is a hollistic experience and if you got rid of the "grind" there'd be no game left. It only will ever appeal to a certain subset of the population but it is what it is.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Cool that it won't have loot boxes, shame I don't trust Capcom not to find some other way to gently caress everything up.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaHgdiqFwuw

So one of the worst PPVs that I have ever seen happened today and I expect only magic from Bryan Alvarez when he had this to say on twitter after the show

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/927386518145998848

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Corek posted:

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAH

I guess now's a good time to ask if it's worth checking out World of Warcraft. I've considered trying it on a few occasions. I don't really know what's different with the vanilla servers and the modern servers, but I'm sort of curious to see what it's like.

DoctorWhat posted:

Monhun is a hollistic experience and if you got rid of the "grind" there'd be no game left. It only will ever appeal to a certain subset of the population but it is what it is.

I've always heard Monster Hunter described as being grindy games, which doesn't't really grab me. That being said, I've never played a Monster Hunter game, and I don't know anything about the new one coming out, so like with WOW, I'm sort of curious as to what people think about the new one based on what they've seen.

I will say that the closest I got to Monster Hunter was MGS: Peace Walker, which apart from having cameo Monster Hunter content, also took some cues from the games as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
monster hunter being grindy isn't really something that bears out in my experience, I've played a fair few monster hunter games and generally you don't start repeatedly hunting the same monster for rare stuff until you're REALLY deep into the game, and that's generally in multiplayer where you can hang out with your friends while doing it

you can get a good 40-80 hours out of these games without really grinding much if at all

• Locked thread