Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Look Sir Droids posted:

Pickled herring is not bad. Texture is a bit weird, but tastes good.

In the UK you can buy big jars of pickled herring wrapped about pickled onion/gherkin slices, and friends, I will not lie I will eat the entire jar in one sitting.

https://www.autostraddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Rollmops.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

In the UK you can buy big jars of pickled herring wrapped about pickled onion/gherkin slices, and friends, I will not lie I will eat the entire jar in one sitting.

English cooking is now amazing. Pickled in wine sauce I assume?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

crazypeltast52 posted:

English cooking is now amazing. Pickled in wine sauce I assume?

Some sort of clear vinegar

I don't think we can take the credit for these though, pretty sure it's a Scandinavian thing we imported

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Yeah, these are called rollmops, and you can buy jars of them from the Blue Hill Bay brand (owned by Brooklyn's legendary Acme Smoked Fish Company) at Whole Foods. New York City bagel shops and "appetizing stores" like Russ & Daughters (absolute heaven for fans of smoked/cured/pickled fish) have them too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Spuckuk posted:

Some sort of clear vinegar

I don't think we can take the credit for these though, pretty sure it's a Scandinavian thing we imported

I think it’s Netherlands style pickled herring, which upon further review is actually called soused herring. It’s pickled raw in salt and vinegar for only a few days. That’s what I’ve had, served with onions, pickles, and mayo.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
HEB has jars of pickled herring in the fresh fish section but I have always been intimidated and it's kind of pricey. Reconsidering now, the 'dine thread fills me with courage!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Zoe posted:

HEB has jars of pickled herring in the fresh fish section but I have always been intimidated and it's kind of pricey. Reconsidering now, the 'dine thread fills me with courage!

Pickled herring is great, eat all the herring.

Also, a bar by me does fried smelts, any chance I can fry sardines for a similar resilt?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Fried sardines are, in fact, the bomb

Zoe posted:

HEB is where I get mine. Someone already mentioned Blue Hill rollmops if you wanna get very fancy (and delicious) but for just the fish I'd suggest the Acme stuff in dill sauce. You can get plain jane Vita stuff anywhere but I only can find the Acme stuff in HEB and boy is it great. Just eat some with crackers and you're good to go.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I love the vita herring in the cream sauce but it's all I've ever had in the way of pickled herring. we have it on new year's eve or whatever at midnight w/ lettuce but I really enjoy the taste/texture of it. it's just kinda pricey for me, unfortunately

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

crazypeltast52 posted:

Pickled herring is great, eat all the herring.

Also, a bar by me does fried smelts, any chance I can fry sardines for a similar resilt?

Yes!!!!! Take pictures too so I may live vicariously through you.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

crazypeltast52 posted:

Hell yeah you can, look at these: http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2014/09/fried-sardines-with-parsley-caper-sauce/

Gotta find fresh ones though

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
My wife's pregnant so due to her super sensitive nose and the fact that she's NOT feeling fish this trimester I find myself shamefully sneaking off to the garage to eat kippers and sardine snacks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
congrats! who's the lucky guy?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I don't know I was probably in the garage, eating kippers, when that went down.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Opened my Bandi sprats. They're good too -- nice and rich and smoky, and very small fish -- but I think the Riga brand is better.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
What about frying canned dines? Or is that just gonna stank up my apartment?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

What about frying canned dines? Or is that just gonna stank up my apartment?

I like to fry them in their own oil for pasta dishes (and I've made tempura w/ the canned ones too) but they pop and splatter a lot so be careful!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Saw a YouTube of a guy frying canned dines to go with a chimichurri sauce. He put parchment paper in the pan to prevent splattering and scorching the fishes. Just pour the can out on top of the parchment paper.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
bought my first sardines ever thanks to this thread. a can of King Oscars in olive oil, and another mediterranean. will report back later

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Stark Fist posted:

bought my first sardines ever thanks to this thread. a can of King Oscars in olive oil, and another mediterranean. will report back later

You selected well. You did eat them over the sink, drunk, in your underpants, correct?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Eat the fuckin veggies in those meds. Super delicious with the 'dines.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You selected well. You did eat them over the sink, drunk, in your underpants, correct?

There is another way?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Tried this kind of Baltic smoked herring, but it wasn't nearly as good as the Riga smoked sprats. Not as smoky, and the fish were much larger. I'll finish the can, but I'm glad I only bought one.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thicc

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Got into the extra virgin KOs. I'm surprised by how mild the flavor is. Not much odor either, but I did empty the can and immediately store it in a bag. I mixed them into a salad with baby kale, tomato, cuke and feta, with a little bit of added olive oil. Not bad! Too oily, I think the oil from the fish was enough. Probably going to try them with hot sauce on bread next time. Feeling very satiated but not full, which I don't usually experience with red meat.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Hey sardine thread.

Anybody have luck sourcing smoked haddock in the US? My GF tried cullen skink in Scotland and I wanted to try making it. Would Whole Foods or World Market have it?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Maybe on the east coast, where haddock is more common. I've never noticed it on the west coast, but I've never looked for it specifically. Is getting some raw haddock and smoking it yourself an option?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Maybe on the east coast, where haddock is more common. I've never noticed it on the west coast, but I've never looked for it specifically. Is getting some raw haddock and smoking it yourself an option?

Most likely not.

Oh well, guess it gives me another excuse to go back to Scotland.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I've been eating sardines every morning in my cube and nobody has said anything yet. The TJ's brand smoked in olive oil in the purple can are pretty good for the price

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Turtle Blogger posted:

I've been eating sardines every morning in my cube and nobody has said anything yet. The TJ's brand smoked in olive oil in the purple can are pretty good for the price

Usually the angry townspeople don't tell the monster about their torches and pitchforks.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

dinesmell haters are the fricken worst

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Long live spratchat! Gonna have some of these bad boys for a late night snack.

:yum:

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Have Blue posted:

Fugk.

Does anyone know where I can hook myself up with some of those in australia?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Inkfish posted:

Fugk.

Does anyone know where I can hook myself up with some of those in australia?

Is there an international grocery store that has a lot of Russian/Eastern European food? Probably there, if so.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Have Blue posted:

Is this brand good? I've seen them at Ocean State Job Lot. Do you just put the jar in the fridge after you open it?

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Male Tears posted:

Is this brand good? I've seen them at Ocean State Job Lot. Do you just put the jar in the fridge after you open it?

Yes and yes

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Male Tears posted:

You put the dines in your mouth after you open it

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’m going to try making gravlax for New Years. Anybody made it? Will high end grocery store salmon work or do I need higher quality. I’m pretty inland so off the boat isn’t going to happen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m going to try making gravlax

Thanks for helping me with a crossword puzzle. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m going to try making gravlax for New Years. Anybody made it? Will high end grocery store salmon work or do I need higher quality. I’m pretty inland so off the boat isn’t going to happen.

A nice filet from the fish counter will be fine. What recipe are you gonna use?