Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If anyone is going to throw a nerd rage over that you wouldn't want to play with them anyway

Just give them all helmets and make the eyes extra glowy or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DrPop posted:

Alternatively get Prospero because MKIII + Ahriman

Criminal there isn't a MK IV and Tartaros and MK III and Cataphractii options. I need half of both boxes constantly.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Got in a game with a buddy returning for 8th today! He's one of those Warrior + Carnifex Tyranid players and is sort of excited for the upcoming book which looks like it is not going to be completely irredeemable and wanted to try out a game with the current rules to get a feel for how 8th edition plays. Because he was playing the bugs I took this opportunity to dust off my Harlequin force and give them a spin on the battlefield:

Overview of the table at the end of turn 1. His Nid force was mostly mid-range shooting units, so that allowed me to position myself up for a bunch of turn 2 charges without taking too much pain in return during his shooting phase.

And there they go! :getin:

He is also one of those Tyranid players who've secretly played Kronos this entire time, as you can see from this close up shot of the dakkafexes.

In the end I won at the end of turn 5 due to successfully keeping his dakkafexes unable to shoot most of my units and some inexperience with 8th on his part. He really liked the changes from 7th to 8th regardless of the loss and we're planning the next match already! (which I'm sure is going to be a tougher battle due to the codex improving the units he likes to use)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love the pastel Eldar.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
current ham status: got in a great 2k game, Death Guard versus Blood Angels. Disgustingly Resilient absolutely won the game, as it took a Baal Predator and a Repulsor two full turns of shooting (minus lascannons) to kill ~20 Poxwalkers. The hero of the game was surprisingly Foul Blightspawn, whose goonstink ability allowed my Helbrutes to murder four extra assault marines and who hosed down his Inceptors after they completely failed to wound a single Plague Marine. :smug:

Also the store had a 2-pack of Carnifices! :woop:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corrode posted:

So what are people hoping for from the BA/DA books?

I want BA squatlie Lieutenants. Specifically, I want to be able to run the contents of a Sanguinary Guard kit box as four jump pack Lieutenants and a relic blade Captain, as their own Supreme Command detachment, if I can

Some version of the Wings of Sanguinius psychic power to give infantry an extra move in the psychic phase, that would be a great way to make drop pod flamers viable and drop meltas more effective

a BA version of the vanilla marine stratagem to upgrade a captain model to a chapter master

+1 attack for Librarian Dreadnoughts, 3 is just :mediocre:

generally rules with the flexibility to support blood angels successor chapters. the flesh tearers got their own blurb in the index so they'll probably get their own chapter tactics/warlord trait or at least relics, but I hope to be able to choose from a few blood angel successor styles to run a <BLOOD ANGELS> army

+1 wound to death company, come ooooon

e:

goose willis posted:

I think Games Workshop did a fantastic job of making sure that every unit has a use and that there are tons of options for every army and you can really customize things in so many ways, but I think they went a little overboard on simplifying the psychic phase because it's nothing more than the formality of just getting off a few smites

a craftworld eldar psychic phase, even with just one farseer and the index powers, is both a hoot and a half and tactically crucial idk what you're talking about

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Aw man, Winters is a nazi?

I thought it was just StrikingScorpion who was a lovely brexiteer :smith:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The proper plural of "carnifex" is "OH gently caress"

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Lieutenants with jump packs
Better death company. Probably 5++ instead of 6++ and maybe +1a
Better ability to make a charge after deep striking
Baal predators that aren't completely outclassed by razorbacks
cataphractii/tartaros/contemptors/stormhawk/stormtalon/centurions
general points balance to match base marines
sanguinor given a massive power up, new model, and made into a LOW
sanguinary guard bonus changed so it makes sense to run them with a captain/dante, rather than being the same thing. If dante is your warlord taking sanguinary guard wastes their special rule.
inferno pistols not being a more expensive half range meltagun

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I just watch those Codex review things on mute anyway, so if they're quoting Wolfenstein or unironically referencing Starship Troopers as a good system of government I wouldn't know.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Criminal there isn't a MK IV and Tartaros and MK III and Cataphractii options. I need half of both boxes constantly.

I'll be over here waiting for a MK V or MK VI box.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love the pastel Eldar.

Surely you mean... Pasteldar.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Man, I really want to play an all-Primaris army but oh my god they are just not worth their points. :negative:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What is wrong with just playing whatever you like because it's cool?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

What is wrong with just playing whatever you like because it's cool?

Most people don't like getting pounded off the table every game

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Man, I really want to play an all-Primaris army but oh my god they are just not worth their points. :negative:

Play it anyway. Who cares? Enjoy putting the effort in and supplement it with cool detachments like Inquisitorial Assassin Teams or a Titan.

A Power Fist Captain, Lieutenant, three fully kitted 5 man Primaris squads, and a Warhound Titan is 1995 points.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Corrode posted:

Most people don't like getting pounded off the table every game

unlike your mother

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Soulfucker posted:

Got in a game with a buddy returning for 8th today! He's one of those Warrior + Carnifex Tyranid players and is sort of excited for the upcoming book which looks like it is not going to be completely irredeemable and wanted to try out a game with the current rules to get a feel for how 8th edition plays. Because he was playing the bugs I took this opportunity to dust off my Harlequin force and give them a spin on the battlefield:
Sweet army, and double sweet for using the OG Rogue Trader Harlequins, I wouldn't have thought of pastels myself but they look awesome :woop: I have an army of old sculpts myself that is next up on my painting queue (including six of the original metal jetbikes with the crazy face chassis).

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Endman posted:

Aw man, Winters is a nazi?

I thought it was just StrikingScorpion who was a lovely brexiteer :smith:

I thought they were talking about StrikingScorpion?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

quote:

Allies Of Convenience Podcast

For anybody who hasn't seen it yet...
Dark Angels & the Lion rules below.

Thanks to The Inner Circle facebook page

So the Codex is finally announced and a good friend of mine has given me some juicy tidbits.

Preorder on the 2nd of December
Available on the 9th of December

A few changes in a couple of units. Points moving to match the vanilla codex.

No Sammael in Sableclaw in the codex

Black knights and deathwing terminators may now be upgraded to a command squad (1 per army) this basically gives them the bodyguard ability.

Now the juicy stuff

Abilities

And they shall know no fear

Inner circle
This unit automatically passes morale checks. In addition it may reroll at to hit rolls against Heretic Astartes and all to hit and to wound rolls against Fallen in the fight phase

Ravenwing
If this unit moves it gains a 6+ invulnerable save to all shooting attacks. If it advances it gains a 5+ Invulnerable save to all shooting attacks

Grim Resolve
All UNFORGIVEN units may Overwatch on a 5+ and will only lose one model to a failed morale test

Have the same space marine stratagems as vanilla marines with the exception of
Masterful marksmanship
Cluster mines
Tremor shells

Also access to these unique stratagems

Fury of the First
2CP
Use this stratagem in your shooting phase. All plasma weapons may use the supercharge weapon template but ignore any mortal wounds that would be caused by a roll of 1.

Repent for Tomorrow You Die
Unforgiven Stratagem
1CP
Use this stratagem before overwatch, the UNFORGIVEN unit may fire overwatch at full BS.

Teleport Homer
Unforgiven Stratagem
2CP
Play at the beginning of your turn. Any DEATHWING unit may deepstrike from reserve within 9" of an enemy unit as long as it is within 6" of a RAVENWING UNIT

Deathwing Assault
Unforgiven Stratagem
2CP
Play at the beginning of your turn, any DEATHWING unit entering by deepstrike may fire twice or add 3" to a charge roll this turn.

Same standard space marine Warlord Traits as vanilla marines with the following unique ones.

Unforgiven
Hold at all costs
Your warlord and UNFORGIVEN units within 9" of your Warlord may roll a D6 for every wound sustained, on a 5+ it is ignored.

Unforgiven
Courage of the First Legion
UNFORGIVEN units in your army may use your Warlords Leadership for morale checks.

Deathwing
The Hunt
Any enemy Character that your Warlord slays in the fight phase grants one victory point

Ravenwing
Rapid Manoeuvres
Your warlord and any RAVENWING units within 6" of him may add 2" to all move, Advance and charge distances and add +1 to all JINK rolls

Relics

Sacred standard
Only one sacred standard can be taken per army

Standard of Devestation
All UNFORGIVEN units within 9" of the standard may fire twice in the shooting phase and automatically pass morale checks.

Standard of Retribution
All UNFORGIVEN units within 9" of the standard may attack twice in the fight phase and automatically pass morale checks.

Standard of Fortitude
All UNFORGIVEN units within 9" of the standard when suffering an unsaved wound may roll a D6 on a 5+ the wound is ignored and automatically pass morale checks.

Mace of Redemption
S+3 Ap-3 D2
If a unit suffers damage from this weapon reduce WS by 1 until the end of the next fight phase.
Against Heretic Astartes weapon is AP -4

Lion's Roar
When attacking with this weapon, choose one or both of the profiles below. If you choose both, subtract 1 from all hit rolls for this weapon-
Boltgun 24" Rapid Fire 1 S4 AP0 D1
Plasma 24" AssaultD3 S7 AP-3 D1

Foe Smiter
Rapid fire 3 S4 AP-1 D1

Monster Slayer of Caliban
S+2 AP-2 D d3
If this weapon causes at least one unsaved wound roll a D6 on a 6 the model is removed from play. Does not effect models with the VEHICLE keyword

Shroud of Heroes
The shroud of heroes confers a 4+ cover save and for each unsaved wound roll a D6 on a 6+ the save is ignored

And finally the biggest news in my opinion

Lion El’Jonson
M 8"
WS 2+
BS 2+
S 6
T 6
W 9
A 7
Ld 10
Sv 2+

Hope Melee Melee S+2 AP -3 D 2 If you roll a wound roll of 6+ for this weapon, it inflicts Mortal Wounds instead of its normal damage.

Despair 18” AssaultD3 S8 AP -3 D3 If a unit suffers any damage from this weapon, roll a D6 on a 6 the unit suffers D3 Mortal Wounds

And they shall know no fear

Master of the First – If your army is battleforged, you receive an additional 3 CP if Lion El’Jonson is your Warlord.

Armour of the Order – Lion El’Jonson has a 3+ invulnerable save. In addition all UNFORGIVEN units within 8” receive an 5+ Invulnerable save.

Blade Master - For every unsaved wound Lion El'Jonson causes in the fight phase he can immediately make an additional attack. This ability can only be used once per fight phase.

Master Strategist- each time a stratagem is used roll a D6 on a 4+ the CP for that stratagem is not spent

I Primarch – You can re-roll any failed hit and wound rolls for friendly UNFORGIVEN units within 6” of Lion El’Jonson

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm of the opinion that it's wishlisty bollocks but who can say?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If they were doing something as big as the Lion, you'd think they'd be making more song and dance about it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I’m building one knowing I will get beat, but that’s okay I’m new anyway.

What do they need to be more competitive?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

I’m building one knowing I will get beat, but that’s okay I’m new anyway.

What do they need to be more competitive?

Long-range anti-tank. More anti-tank in general, really.

More anti-horde that isn't Aggressors.

A niche for Intercessors. As of now, they're less versatile tactical marines.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

Personally I'm thinking Death Company should pick up the fight twice ability a la Berzerkers, which would go a long way towards making them more useful. Points drops across the board. I expect most of the stratagems to be the same, although I'd hope that the Angels ones are better than the base SM ones.

Assault marines not to suck. Assault marines to count as troops. Either/or.

Death Co. to be better.

Stephenls posted:

Surely you mean... Pasteldar.

:hfive:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SteelMentor posted:

If they were doing something as big as the Lion, you'd think they'd be making more song and dance about it.

That's possible, but it's also possible they're focusing on doing the Necromunda song and dance right now, and won't start hyping the return of Lion El'Jonson until... let's say the Monday following Necromunda's release. Can't interrupt your current big hype cycle with your next hype cycle, after all.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think that Dark Angels stuff looks pretty shady. Yes, the rules seem extremely strong, but that could technically be GW's usual weak balance. But would we really have a full stat breakdown of the next Primarch kit without even the sniff of a picture of the model? Seems odd someone was given a 'tidbit' of a complete breakdown of rules, but not sight of the book to mention what a new kit looks like.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think that Dark Angels stuff looks pretty shady. Yes, the rules seem extremely strong, but that could technically be GW's usual weak balance. But would we really have a full stat breakdown of the next Primarch kit without even the sniff of a picture of the model? Seems odd someone was given a 'tidbit' of a complete breakdown of rules, but not sight of the book to mention what a new kit looks like.

That leak in particular does indeed feel all sorts of suspicious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My rule of not trusting leaks about new units until we see the unit has paid off thus far.

Especially something as important as a primarch.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It is worth noting that in the leak about these new releases the guy said he asked the GW rep about the rules for the Lion and got a weird look. I'd guess we'll be seeing him in December even if these rules are bullshit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Deathwing rules alone scream wishlist to me.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
It seems to me like GW is in an odd place when it comes to introducing the Lion, because after Guilliman, it really feels like another Primarch deserves something like another Gathering Storm, except their publication schedule right now is super-dominated by the push to get as many codexes out as possible as quickly as possible; they don't have time to fit another hardcover and triumvirate release in. And, if they're planning on releasing the Lion as a mini, it'd be weird to release the Dark Angels codex without his rules... but it would be equally weird to put out the codex with the rules without a big buildup, and also equally weird to delay the Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves' codex releases for longer just to have time to build up the Lion and Russ and whatever the hell the Blood Angels will have as their equivalent, whether that'll be a jumped-up Sanginaire or a returned Sanguinius or whatever.

So given that all options seem equally awkward, I guess just doing all the "The Lion has returned!" plot in the DA Codex itself and releasing the mini alongside it doesn't seem any less probable than "They're doing a mini of him, but not for six more months, and then his rules will only be with the mini and not in the codex."

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Is this blog wrong on the repulsors?

https://spikeybits.com/2017/08/space-marine-repulsor-tank-analysis.html

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's too detailed and exact.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm the warlord trait that lets the army use your leaders LD when every unit already has a built-in commissar.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

At about 16 games deep on a mostly primaris army we really dont need more anti horde, repulsor redemptor and aggressors do just fine. Anti tank yeah but the rest of the marine armoury never went anywhere and a tank doesnt need to be a NounVerber festooned with stubbers to fit in with biglies.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While I'd like most of this to be true, it's probably fake. The Shroud of Heroes mentions a 4+ cover save which isn't a thing anymore and some of that stuff is pretty bonkers.

That said, the Lion's rules are pretty drat cool and I'd be happy if those were real.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I drew a stupid little comic at work

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I know those rules are fakes but I want the lion and one other primarch to come back so you can field a 3 primarch lord of war detachment

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I know those rules are fakes but I want the lion and one other primarch to come back so you can field a 3 primarch lord of war detachment

How many heavy bolters would you need to take that down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I spent the evening making repairs on and touching up a couple of older models, including my Dimachaeron:

Then, looking at the second picture I realized I had to do this in Photoshop real quick:

I really want a rule for letting bugs shoot death beams with their breath now