Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
its just a difference of opinion thats all. that nazism and not nazism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

its just a difference of opinion thats all. that nazism and not nazism.

You're contributing to discussion in a mature and intelligent way, and not at all being a douche in order to score some sort of internet points.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
sorry i didnt mean to make light of turning a blind eye to nazis so you can know whats in your space mans book

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just want to know how many points the Hive Fuhrer is now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Flavivirus posted:

Looks pretty good - the main thing I'd be wary of is people advancing up and munching your pathfinders/strike teams or deep striking to take out your broadsides, as you don't have much in the way of screening units. A unit of gun drones would work wonders there, if you have room to spare.
Similarly, I'm not sure the marker drones attached to your commanders are going to do much work. If neither has a drone controller, they're only hitting on a 5+ meaning a given pair has a ~50% chance of landing a single marker light. Switching them for gun or shield drones will give a lot more dakka/toughness respectively.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes though - I'm not sure how good broadsides are this edition and waiting to hear before I pick out my own heavy support.

I love Broadsides but they're 30-40 points overpriced. The heavy rail rifle is 63 points, has a profile of Heavy 2, S8, AP-4, D6 damage, and can cause a mortal wound on a 6+. It's basically a twin Lascannon but 50% more expensive and can only go on a single BS 4+ unit that you might be able to get to 3+ with an average of 100 points of marker drones.

But I love the drat things.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Strobe posted:

I love Broadsides but they're 30-40 points overpriced. The heavy rail rifle is 63 points, has a profile of Heavy 2, S8, AP-4, D6 damage, and can cause a mortal wound on a 6+. It's basically a twin Lascannon but 50% more expensive and can only go on a single BS 4+ unit that you might be able to get to 3+ with an average of 100 points of marker drones.

But I love the drat things.

I have so much Tau from when they were released. I think I have 7-9 Broadsides, for example.

Would grabbing 2 of the Christmas boxes modernize my Tau collection?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

dexefiend posted:

I have so much Tau from when they were released. I think I have 7-9 Broadsides, for example.

Would grabbing 2 of the Christmas boxes modernize my Tau collection?

Difficult to say before we have any idea what the codex might change. At present commanders and drones are the tau MVPs, but if they tweak things to make them useful stealth suits + crisis should be a good combo and the ghostkeel's pretty tanky. I'm trying out an army with the commander+ghostkeel+crisis+stealth combo tomorrow, will report back how well they do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Yeah man I agree with you on that one, smite is a very useful power but it's also bland as hell. Obviously it was a mess to go through the old psychic system of 7th edition, and a lot of powers were just copies of each other, but the fluff was so much better and they did a better job of hiding the repeat powers from you, because they all had cool names and nice blurbs about what they did. Smite is so boring, it's just "MY PSYKER THINKS REALLY HARD ABOUT YOU AND YOU TAKE DAMAGE"

Exactly. It should just be a gun at this point and we don't even need the psychic phase anymore. They've optimized it out of the game. I get that there was too much in 7th but this is the polar opposite, there needs to be more flavor and options.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Has anyone itt had any experience reposing Wraithlord legs? I wanna give my Wraithseer a pose suggesting them bracing as they fire the D-Cannon but I'm not much of a converter.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

Has anyone itt had any experience reposing Wraithlord legs? I wanna give my Wraithseer a pose suggesting them bracing as they fire the D-Cannon but I'm not much of a converter.

send pics? I'm curious because I'll get one eventually.

So is Gav's Eldar Omnibus worth it or no?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly. It should just be a gun at this point and we don't even need the psychic phase anymore. They've optimized it out of the game. I get that there was too much in 7th but this is the polar opposite, there needs to be more flavor and options.

My persistent use of veil of time and null zone say otherwise?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I think Games Workshop did a fantastic job of making sure that every unit has a use and that there are tons of options for every army and you can really customize things in so many ways, but I think they went a little overboard on simplifying the psychic phase because it's nothing more than the formality of just getting off a few smites

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goose willis posted:

I think Games Workshop did a fantastic job of making sure that every unit has a use and that there are tons of options for every army and you can really customize things in so many ways, but I think they went a little overboard on simplifying the psychic phase because it's nothing more than the formality of just getting off a few smites

Your dudes can't overwatch, lose -1 from all rolls, and fight last, because my Patriarch hypnotized them. Also, your tank shot its main gun into your own forward assault unit because my preacher thought really hard at it.

These things are awesome. :colbert:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It really depends on the army but a lot of times the offensive powers are done so poorly that smite is generally the better option

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artum posted:

My persistent use of veil of time and null zone say otherwise?

Well, even better then it depends upon which faction you play. Which is bullshit. Like yeah, I guess if I was playing Marines or Death Guard or Eldar it'd be okay. Everybody else...

Probably better for my strategy that I'm just not interested in psykers right now, I tend to go overboard. I'll just focus on making a cool nid army.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I want Geomortis back so that I can cast Worldwrithe again and move entire buildings across the table

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DiHK posted:

send pics? I'm curious because I'll get one eventually.

Current plan is to cut out a section of the tubing and just behind the kneepad then reposition it to a more bent angle. After that tidy up the leg with a bit of greenstuff and boom.

At least, that's the best case scenario.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I much prefer the new Psychic phase/system to 6th and 7th, but pretty much when it's used as intended. With 1-2 psykers per side, it creates interesting gameplay and unique abilities. I wouldn't be opposed to there being a cap on the number of times Smite can be cast per turn though, because Smite spam isn't fun or interesting for either player.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

goose willis posted:

There are some really clutch powers like Death Hex that can swing entire games depending on what it is being used against.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Uroboros posted:

There are some really clutch powers like Death Hex that can swing entire games depending on what it is being used against.

For Eldar, it takes a lot to tempt me away from the holy trinity of Doom, Guide, Fortune, but they do have a new damage-dealing power, Executioner, which seems potentially very nice against single-wound elite units.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

Current plan is to cut out a section of the tubing and just behind the kneepad then reposition it to a more bent angle. After that tidy up the leg with a bit of greenstuff and boom.

At least, that's the best case scenario.

Yeah, I find the ribbing at the back of the knee one of the easier things to greenstuff so it's feasable to seperate the knee cap from both upper and lower legs but this is trickier to pin and rebuild. You could build up half of the base and get him in a Captain morgan sort of pose.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

SteelMentor posted:

SteelMentor posted:

I did exactly this a few years ago:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
That looks awesome, well done!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Which of the two Horus Heresy boxed sets is the better value? Like which should I aim to get first for Christmas

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Do you want pure marines in Mark 4, or marines in Mark 3, sisters, and Custodes?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I have no preference for armor mark but I prefer <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DiHK posted:

Yeah, they are not bad. It's no ADB Night Lords trilogy but fine genre fiction.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Betrayal at Calth, no question.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So basically you get three whole squads of ten troops, one squad of five termos, a dread, and two HQs? And most of the models aren't mono-pose? That's a pretty great value and is basically what, a thousand points of dudes if you field the entire box as one army?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

So basically you get three whole squads of ten troops, one squad of five termos, a dread, and two HQs? And most of the models aren't mono-pose? That's a pretty great value and is basically what, a thousand points of dudes if you field the entire box as one army?

Give or take. The dread is not very posable but if you have a jewelers saw you can get two and cut together some Mortis dreads and change the angle at the waist fairly easily.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm a sucker for great values and I may even get that before Christmas

Looks like ~127$ is about as cheap as I'll get it on eBay yeah?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

goose willis posted:

I'm a sucker for great values and I may even get that before Christmas

Looks like ~127$ is about as cheap as I'll get it on eBay yeah?

You might be able to find the squads cheaper, I got the cataphractii and dread for like 20 bucks each

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I think I'll aim for the Calth box as a whole and then buy extra individual squads to expand it as my Tyranid friend expands his force

Prospero will probably have to wait for next year because the remainder of my Q4 2017 Fun Budget is going to be used for a Foo Fighters ticket

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, even better then it depends upon which faction you play. Which is bullshit. Like yeah, I guess if I was playing Marines or Death Guard or Eldar it'd be okay. Everybody else...

Probably better for my strategy that I'm just not interested in psykers right now, I tend to go overboard. I'll just focus on making a cool nid army.

Nids are going to have good powers. You've been whining about this since 8th dropped and no matter how many times it's explained that it's a temporary situation you won't loving shut up about it. Every single codex released so far has good, useful powers besides Smite. The Smite spam that remains is apparently being fixed in Chapter Approved when they limit it to 3x per turn. The problem is solved, get over it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

Nids are going to have good powers. You've been whining about this since 8th dropped and no matter how many times it's explained that it's a temporary situation you won't loving shut up about it. Every single codex released so far has good, useful powers besides Smite. The Smite spam that remains is apparently being fixed in Chapter Approved when they limit it to 3x per turn. The problem is solved, get over it.

Your pro-marine agenda is showing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

Calth it is then.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hooray, seeing Foo Fighters next summer, ticket purchased

It's about the same price as one of the Heresy boxes :eyepop:

That being said, I now have to think of a good chapter (or maybe legion) for the Calth boys

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Alternatively get Prospero because MKIII + Ahriman

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Your pro-marine agenda is showing.

Imperium rules xenos drools

E: used some Bullgryn today for screening/counter charging. Holy gently caress they are monsters.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would I run into any general issues if I picked up the Burning of Prospero box and ran the marines as Thousand Sons? I love the pre-Heresy colors and I’ve always loved the Thousand Sons.