Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
For those still playing along in Modern Skyblock 2, the creator realized the error of his ways and reverted the connector/relay recipes in the very next version.

I built up my battery just a little bit larger/faster before I'm shifting over to the newest version and locked out of it for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

For those still playing along in Modern Skyblock 2, the creator realized the error of his ways and reverted the connector/relay recipes in the very next version.

I built up my battery just a little bit larger/faster before I'm shifting over to the newest version and locked out of it for some time.

If I was in the middle of a "run" I would not change or update my version ever. These mod packs are delicate things, who knows that tinkering will do to your base. Only update between play throughs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If I were to play MSB2, which version should I use? Obviously one of the versions before the guidebook was removed, but which one?

edit: so uh how do IE wires work exactly? I read that if you exceed transfer rate they melt, but how do you control that? Do transformers automatically cap how much the lower side can output?

edit2: god drat it Age of Engineering keeps crashing. No crash log, either.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 4, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Probably the last 2.5.5.x version.

So I've been getting a little worn out on factory packs and I've been messing around with Conquest Reforged, the very same pack/texture set that Arda Craft (the to scale recreation of Middleearth project that's been in the works since 2014) is built on. Has anyone around here messed with Worldpainter at all? It looks like an awesome tool for coming up with a natural looking landmass to build on in a pinch, but looks like it's got a bit of a learning curve to it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

If I were to play MSB2, which version should I use? Obviously one of the versions before the guidebook was removed, but which one?

edit: so uh how do IE wires work exactly? I read that if you exceed transfer rate they melt, but how do you control that? Do transformers automatically cap how much the lower side can output?

edit2: god drat it Age of Engineering keeps crashing. No crash log, either.

If you connect a HV wire to a relay from a power source, and an LV wire to the same relay to somewhere else, the LV wire will get too much power and be destroyed. That's what transformers are for, they'll step down the power to what an MV/LV wire can accept. ...or you could just use HV wiring for everything, as there's nothing that requires LV/MV power input.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Black Pants posted:

If you connect a HV wire to a relay from a power source, and an LV wire to the same relay to somewhere else, the LV wire will get too much power and be destroyed. That's what transformers are for, they'll step down the power to what an MV/LV wire can accept. ...or you could just use HV wiring for everything, as there's nothing that requires LV/MV power input.

I thought you couldn't have wires connecting to any relays/connectors except the same tier?

From what I remember a wire will carry 4x as much power as the same tier connector, and connectors limit input/output, so to be completely safe just never marry more that 4 wires into a relay. My AoE base started with 42 watermills. Compared to every other power generation system they are very cheap.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Depends on the tier. The caps are listed in the game manual. HV wiring can carry up to 32k while individual connectors can only transmit 4k.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so i've had enough of QRAFT (betweenlands is Not Good imo, even though i loved the movement and guns), i've played Lost Travels and sort of run out of stuff to do, didn't click with Modern Skyblock, had enough of Age of Engineering... anyone playing any other interesting questy packs?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Nevets posted:

I thought you couldn't have wires connecting to any relays/connectors except the same tier?

From what I remember a wire will carry 4x as much power as the same tier connector, and connectors limit input/output, so to be completely safe just never marry more that 4 wires into a relay. My AoE base started with 42 watermills. Compared to every other power generation system they are very cheap.

Wires carry 8x as much power as the same tier connector, actually. And I've had upwards of 100 wires going into a relay for my thermogen stacks. Just need to keep the total below 32k ish (for HV) and you're golden.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
It's hard going back to 1.7.10 for Divine Journey, so many minor changes that are missing from the core Minecraft stuff. It does seem neat and I DO enjoy having a quest book though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Falcon2001 posted:

It's hard going back to 1.7.10 for Divine Journey, so many minor changes that are missing from the core Minecraft stuff. It does seem neat and I DO enjoy having a quest book though.
Yeah, one thing I really miss is Quark's "deposit to all" feature, but even a lot of the vanilla fundamentals like the revamps to doors end up bugging me. Still, it makes me realize how much I missed Thaumcraft.

Also DivineRPG is hands down the worst part of Divine Journey and it feels like the modmaker gradually came to realize that and so started downplaying the mod's integration for anything but the gating. Mobs so ugly they make Lycanites look good, a completely unbalanced and uninteresting equipment grind with no tangible distinctions, terrible mechanics, literally broken hitboxes, bosses that are guaranteed to hit you... seriously, the mobs are the worst part, overpowered, ugly, unenjoyable to fight, with nothing good to come of them. Early on I was exploring a Runic Dungeon and found an infinite durability sword that slows enemies and does 22 damage and is apparently quite late-game, so I've been using that since. But they're just so awful. I guess it gives the pack a unique flavor as it'd otherwise just feel like another Infinity Evolved, but I don't like it in practice. If you ask me it's already got a leg up on Infinity Evolved by virtue of not having loving IC2 in it.
Oh did I mention that below a certain level, these mobs can spawn in any light level? Every time I take my openblocks elevator down to my blood altar there's a bunch of superstrong superfast mobs that dart at me from my well-lit sanctum.

Lastly: be forewarned there's a quest somewhere that gives you one of those superfast signalum crossbows everyone wants to build in 1.7.10 so just worry about making it that far, then get some mossy bolts and slap a flux charger on the bow and you're basically golden.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, you guys know how the end game for almost all mods is just having infinite energy and items? And most of the highest tier machines and abilities in the larger mods revolve around just getting more stuff faster and easier? Can anyone think of a mod, aside from Avaritia or Spectrite, that could be used as a huge item/rf sink? Doesn't matter what the actual thing is, really, but just something that allows you to take all your infinite resources and actually do something with them. One idea brought up recently on my server was a hypothetical mod that gives you a computer mainframe that turns jillions of RF into bittcoins, which could possibly be displayed on a big scoreboard for E-peen waving, or used to purchase god/creative-tier stuff from admins or something.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Extended Crafting does that in 1.12, although what the stuff it gives you access to is used to craft is intentionally left up to the mod author. In MS2's case, yeah, it's the route to the creative items, although due to a variety of problems with the tuning of the endgame (not the mod's fault), no one's actually done it yet. It's intended to be used in conjunction with Minetweaker/Crafttweaker for an author to add his own goal recipes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neogeo0823 posted:

So, you guys know how the end game for almost all mods is just having infinite energy and items? And most of the highest tier machines and abilities in the larger mods revolve around just getting more stuff faster and easier? Can anyone think of a mod, aside from Avaritia or Spectrite, that could be used as a huge item/rf sink? Doesn't matter what the actual thing is, really, but just something that allows you to take all your infinite resources and actually do something with them. One idea brought up recently on my server was a hypothetical mod that gives you a computer mainframe that turns jillions of RF into bittcoins, which could possibly be displayed on a big scoreboard for E-peen waving, or used to purchase god/creative-tier stuff from admins or something.

I enjoy the way Project Ozone 2 handles this, by gating the most broken of all mods (Equivalent Exchange 2) behind massive Avaritia crafting recipes. This is the way to go, find the most broken and powerful mods out there and gate them behind massive resource sinks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone know how to configure Ex Nihilo Creatio to add more siftable items? I want to add like three new drops, but every item is in a "mod:itemname" format and I don't know how to look up the exact names.

code:
{
      "drop": {
        "name": "minecraft:quartz",
        "meta": 0
      },
      "chance": 0.8,
      "meshLevel": 4
    }
So if I wanted to add Ender Dust (from Ender Ore) or Uranium Dust from IE, where would I get the item names in the above format?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i went back to loving MSB2 again and started a new island, and am following the quests

i found out that the electric furnace from techreborn is ludicrously fast when given four overclocker upgrades

i think it is smelting 20 items a second and it's doing so for a tiny amount of power (my power grid at the moment is a single 88 RF/t waterwheel setup and it's not even budging my capacitor)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

I enjoy the way Project Ozone 2 handles this, by gating the most broken of all mods (Equivalent Exchange 2) behind massive Avaritia crafting recipes. This is the way to go, find the most broken and powerful mods out there and gate them behind massive resource sinks.

My problem with this approach (and why I + others came up with the idea of an infinite resource sink themed as buttcoin mining) is that if you just gate increasingly insane poo poo behind increasingly high resource sinks, you still eventually hit the point where you run out of things to sink resources into. When you can produce infinite power and resources, the only thing left to do is watch a number increase. And if you're going to just keep incrementing a number, why not have a public way to brag about it and show off how big your pretend buttcoin epeen is?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone know how to configure Ex Nihilo Creatio to add more siftable items? I want to add like three new drops, but every item is in a "mod:itemname" format and I don't know how to look up the exact names.

code:
{
      "drop": {
        "name": "minecraft:quartz",
        "meta": 0
      },
      "chance": 0.8,
      "meshLevel": 4
    }
So if I wanted to add Ender Dust (from Ender Ore) or Uranium Dust from IE, where would I get the item names in the above format?

Hold F3 and press H ingame, then mouse over whatever to see its full item id. Or possibly look into the mod's code.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MSB2

How do i make iron ore?

I have stone, i have iron alchemical dust, i have a variety of condensers and casings.... i just have no idea what to do with it.

(and how do i get diamonds quickly and easily? A stack of compressed stone yeilds 3-4 if im lucky.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dragonshardz posted:

My problem with this approach (and why I + others came up with the idea of an infinite resource sink themed as buttcoin mining) is that if you just gate increasingly insane poo poo behind increasingly high resource sinks, you still eventually hit the point where you run out of things to sink resources into. When you can produce infinite power and resources, the only thing left to do is watch a number increase. And if you're going to just keep incrementing a number, why not have a public way to brag about it and show off how big your pretend buttcoin epeen is?

Well, I mean at that point you build a sick doom castle with your infinite power, or you start a new save and try to do it again (but faster). I don't think you are going to be able to come up with a compelling eternal end game. It would just come down to who has the faster computer to generate more nether stars or whatever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Place a stone block on top of a condenser that has iron alchemical dust. Once it finishes the stone block disappears and an iron ore will be placed in the storage below. To automate you get have an AA block placer do the stone block placement for you.

And there's no easy way to farm diamonds for a while unless you do odd things with mechanical workers to do the lengthy chain in processing stone blocks into crushed stone (and refilling the cauldron). Once you can empower redstonia (or whatever the AA thingy is called) you can start into making the Sky Resources Stone Crusher and Stone Washer that condense the process down to two machines.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

MSB2

How do i make iron ore?

I have stone, i have iron alchemical dust, i have a variety of condensers and casings.... i just have no idea what to do with it.

(and how do i get diamonds quickly and easily? A stack of compressed stone yeilds 3-4 if im lucky.)

Put stone into the condenser space, where you would have put liquid glass.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Am i reading it two different ways?

1) actually place the stone block on top of the condensor (do i need the ring of 4 blocks around it?)

2) Just throw it inside the box?. (i did this by setting up a seperate dropper system. The stone just sat. I didnt see any progress in the condenser GUI so i picked up the stone.?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Get 73 coal. (There's a combustion recipe for charcoal -> coal.) Make 8 coal blocks. Craft the 8 coal blocks and 1 leftover coal into a hardened coal block, then combust that for a diamond. Rinse, repeat.

To make ludicrous amounts of charcoal, use a Forestry Charcoal Pit. It's slow, but extremely efficient for wood to charcoal.

Meskhenet posted:

Am i reading it two different ways?

1) actually place the stone block on top of the condensor (do i need the ring of 4 blocks around it?)

2) Just throw it inside the box?. (i did this by setting up a seperate dropper system. The stone just sat. I didnt see any progress in the condenser GUI so i picked up the stone.?

Actually place the stone block on top of the condenser. You don't need the ring of 4 blocks at all for a condenser to function -- they're just there to keep the crystal fluid from splashing all over the place. If you're using stone to make ore, you can leave it out entirely.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Aside: it's not really worth it to use stone over crystal fluid until late game. It uses dust at twice the rate of making ingots, so you have to at least double the ore to break even from it, and triple it for it to be a net gain, which you can't do till Mekanism.

If you want to automate massive amounts of charcoal and not worry about the hassle of charcoal pits, do a Forestry multifarm arboretum. You can fully automate all the inputs/outputs without a hell of a lot of effort, though the initial build is a good bit of work. It's flexible, though (you can convert individual quadrants of the farm to different products without having to rebuild the entire farm) and you'll be set on wood/charcoal (and by effect, diamonds) for more or less the rest of the pack.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Enderium casing/signalum condenser seems like a good point to start oreing it up, at least to me. And you can get secondary ore from the various pulverizing machines!

I'd suggest as an interim process for collecting charcoal, you could have bonsai trees running wood blocks into a furnace using the sticks as fuel (and the apples for other power generation). This can be expanded further with combusting the charcoal into coal and powering the entire thing on a steam dynamo or the equivalent. It's much less resource intensive.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Casing/condenser changes the output of the overall process, but doesn't change the efficiency gap of ore vs. ingot.

Now, if you want to do it because you can't be bothered making glass/crystal shards for the extra step, that's a different story. :eng101:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rutibex posted:

Well, I mean at that point you build a sick doom castle with your infinite power, or you start a new save and try to do it again (but faster). I don't think you are going to be able to come up with a compelling eternal end game. It would just come down to who has the faster computer to generate more nether stars or whatever.

And that's the problem, actually. Like, it's a fundamental problem with MC modding. All these mods are like "oh, we eventually make things easier and faster to get!" but they don't provide you with anything to actually do with those resources. Our server always has this problem and I'm sure all others at some point as well. Once you've built your sick doom castle, you've still got infinite resources and power. We're not even hoping to have something compelling for the end game, we just want some way of quantifying the fact that we've hit end game. Currently, it's just "welp, I can do all the things now. I guess I'll gently caress off to another server till this one resets.", and we're trying to help give people some sort of infinite objective to give them a reason to come around more often.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the problem is that you can't hide cool or core mechanics behind it; it has to be something fun and great that you can nevertheless play the game without, which, uh, limits your options

if this is specifically for servers then i guess insane recipes that give out command blocks that have creative/op commands could be a thing?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not to point out the obvious but maybe trying to find an "infinite objective" is difficult to do at a fundamental level because it's essentially asking for infinite replay value. There's a lot of things that games do that could provide engaging returns but they generally rely on solid gameplay, or at least some level of equilibrium Minecraft can't really achieve.
Reaching infinite resources and then immediately quitting seems counter-intuitive, because you figure hey, I worked so hard on this and now I have it and I'm not even going to use it. At the most I'll build a castle or a tower or something I could have made without infinite resources in a fraction of the time, and that's assuming I don't get bored halfway through. But reaching infinity is the goal in itself. It could just as easily be some other macguffin but in game terms nothing would feel as powerful as infinity as proof of conquest -- a scrap of paper with "you won!" just wouldn't feel the same.

So maybe if you've played a world/save/modpack long enough to grind out infinite stuff you don't really need additional pressure to keep going. In packs and servers like these, infinity isn't really a resource to be spent or a tool to be used, it's a goal. Getting there is the fun of it, not the work. There's nothing wrong with you or your players wanting to move on at that point, I don't think.
At the very least I think trying to stretch anything like that into post-infinity -- in a game entirely structured around overcoming that scarcity -- is probably somewhat pointless.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neogeo0823 posted:

And that's the problem, actually. Like, it's a fundamental problem with MC modding. All these mods are like "oh, we eventually make things easier and faster to get!" but they don't provide you with anything to actually do with those resources. Our server always has this problem and I'm sure all others at some point as well. Once you've built your sick doom castle, you've still got infinite resources and power. We're not even hoping to have something compelling for the end game, we just want some way of quantifying the fact that we've hit end game. Currently, it's just "welp, I can do all the things now. I guess I'll gently caress off to another server till this one resets.", and we're trying to help give people some sort of infinite objective to give them a reason to come around more often.

I don't think it's much of a problem, but I don't really play Minecraft on servers. I think thats your biggest problem, you are trying to turn a challenge mod pack into an MMO. To make an MMO compelling you have to get the players to fight each other in the end game. You don't get to keep infinite power when someone will come by and nuke your house in the night! :black101:

Otherwise maybe reset the server every month? Then its a race to see who can complete the pack every month.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

And that's the problem, actually. Like, it's a fundamental problem with MC modding. All these mods are like "oh, we eventually make things easier and faster to get!" but they don't provide you with anything to actually do with those resources. ...

Lego. You can buy the kits, but ultimately what you do with the pieces is up to you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Hold F3 and press H ingame, then mouse over whatever to see its full item id. Or possibly look into the mod's code.

The f3 thing works for placable blocks, but what about items like dusts? Do I have to dig into the code for those too?

e: no wonder I couldn't get this working all day yesterday, I left out a comma in the .json. :downs:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 5, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

The f3 thing works for placable blocks, but what about items like dusts? Do I have to dig into the code for those too?

e: no wonder I couldn't get this working all day yesterday, I left out a comma in the .json. :downs:

It works for anything you can mouse over in your inventory/JEI.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

It works for anything you can mouse over in your inventory/JEI.
Ah, thanks, got it to work.

Hopefully last question: what would the name of this item be? There's a bunch of "immersiveengineering:metal" items, but how would I specify this specific item?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hopefully last question: what would the name of this item be? There's a bunch of "immersiveengineering:metal" items, but how would I specify this specific item?

/give playername immersiveengineering:metal quantity 14

replace playername with your player's name and quantity with how many you want to give (up to 64)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

neogeo0823 posted:

neo hits it on the head - we're looking for a way to people to sink their infinite resources and power into something that gives some sort of reward that has no tangible benefit beyond goodfeels and maybe getting the player to stick around awhile longer. A number that increments based off of power input that occasionally uses some of your infinite materials, to get you to stay on the server while you do whatever the gently caress else you feel like doing

Evil Mastermind posted:

It'll be immersiveengineering:metal:14 in your json.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 5, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

It'll be immersiveengineering:metal:14 in your json.
Thank you! That was the last ore/dust/whatever I wanted to add to the sieve registry, and even though it actually doesn't do anything or have a use, it was driving me nuts to just have that one last bit I couldn't figure out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

dragonshardz posted:

neo hits it on the head - we're looking for a way to people to sink their infinite resources and power into something that gives some sort of reward that has no tangible benefit beyond goodfeels and maybe getting the player to stick around awhile longer. A number that increments based off of power input that occasionally uses some of your infinite materials, to get you to stay on the server while you do whatever the gently caress else you feel like doing

Have some sort of giant server objective with a goofy theme to it? Like we need to get X super expensive Sparklonium blocks and 1 Trillion RF to contribute to the Space War which reboots the server or whatever. Have a big leaderboard with the number of blocks each person has contributed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Evil Mastermind posted:

You see that (#6252/14) after "Uranium Grit"? The /14 is it's metadata number. When referencing items that share the same base item (immersiveengineering:metal), you differentiate by appending the metadata after it, with another :. (immersiveengineering:metal:14). This works for every mod. Some items aren't differentiated this way but by NBT instead, which is way more complicated to work with, but mostly you can use the metaddata.