Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

I meant more along the lines of keeping him a year to lower the buyout. Its a bad look if you can't land the top prospect coach who was the face of your school for a while. Better to just keep Riley and go after then top guy next year. It would be like if Tebow was the hot coaching name and he turned down Florida for another school.

This is dumb. He’s a bad coach and they have more than enough money to pay the buyout. Would you have wanted Florida to keep McElwain another year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

This is dumb. He’s a bad coach and they have more than enough money to pay the buyout. Would you have wanted Florida to keep McElwain another year?

Nebraska isn't Florida, and Tim Tebow isn't the top coaching prospect.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Nebraska isn't Florida, and Tim Tebow isn't the top coaching prospect.

Nebraska is more than capable of hiring a good coach and shouldn’t be settling for 5-6 win seasons. They have a shitload of money, some of the best facilities in the country, and are in a super winnable division. They’re not gonna be a title team again but they can be way better than this and saying they should just give up because one coach turns them down is dumb as hell.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 5, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If UF wants Fuente I hope you enjoy never winning a big game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

lol dude come on. This is Rivalsy even by your standards

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm down with that.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Nebraska isn't Florida.

This is true; Nebraska has a nationwide fanbase.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

lol dude come on

What part of them needing literal goddamn miracles to beat FSU and GT, scraping by hapless UNC and lovely Cuse and loving STEAMROLLING VT isn't making sense?

Iowa State has more big wins in one season than VT has in its entire history.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crotch Bat posted:

I like Fuente, and think he was a great hire. He will close that gap, and VT will win the ACC sooner or later. Also at least he is beating the teams he should beat, unlike my coach Butch Jones.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

What part of them needing literal goddamn miracles to beat FSU and GT, scraping by hapless UNC and lovely Cuse and loving STEAMROLLING VT isn't making sense?

He’s coached one and one half seasons for you.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Crotch Bat posted:

I told you we aren't as bad as we looked against UNC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you lost to a really good team, it’s not the end of the world. Your starting QB is a true freshman! Fuente is an awesome offensive coach and VT is still gonna be a like top 20 team, you’re gonna be fine.

And “in its history” jesus christ. You played in a national title game!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I like Fuente, and think he was a great hire. He will close that gap, and VT will win the ACC sooner or later. Also at least he is beating the teams he should beat, unlike my coach Butch Jones.

:lol: what part of Fuente makes you do anything but remember Beamer's last lovely years? I mean be 100% honest, sit down and ask yourself where he is making the difference that will beat a coach like Dabo in the ACCCG. This isn't the snoozefest ACC of Beamer's day.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s coached one and one half seasons for you.

3 big games, 3 big failures. Only reasonably close game was when Jerod Evans carried the entire team.

Dilber posted:

I told you we aren't as bad as we looked against UNC.

Wouldn't use us as anything resembling a yard stick for success since we have no big win to speak of, you beat a nothing.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm going to scream it everywhere in the world, even if it's into a useless void. Tim beck should be summarily exec fired immediately and left out to dry with no buyout. He is the worst loving offensive coach I've ever experienced in my life. Imagine being worse than Shawn Watson

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

you lost to a really good team, it’s not the end of the world. Your starting QB is a true freshman! Fuente is an awesome offensive coach and VT is still gonna be a like top 20 team, you’re gonna be fine.

And “in its history” jesus christ. You played in a national title game!

Like, I feel like none of you get this: the loss isn't what loving bothers me, it's HOW we lose. Every single time we play a game worth a loving poo poo we get absolutely steamrolled. Every goddamn time. Turnovers, no aggression, lovely tackling, can't catch, coaches overwhelmed, team unprepared, zero effort or intensity shown. Every. Single. Time.

If we turned out against Clemson and Miami this year and lost one score games I would be totally fine because I didn't expect to necessarily win a big game this year but just getting humiliated over and over, nothing ever changes.

If Matt Campbell can take Iowa loving State and beat two top 5 teams in a season (fun fact: VT has one top 5 win ever) then Fuente should be able to take a much better VT program and appear competitive in any sort of game against a decent team.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Laterite posted:

This is true; Nebraska has a nationwide fanbase.

I have never seen a Nebraska fan in the south, but Jesus Christ there are UF fans everywhere. Even here in Knoxville all I see (outside of Tennessee fans of course) are the following fans: Bama, Kentucky (these are basketball fans mainly), Virginia Tech (go more east like Johnson City and VT jumps to first), Florida, and random Ohio State, FSU, and UNC fan. That’s in order.

Also gently caress the local Bama fans who have nothing to do with school or the state. I seen several today walking around in their Bama gear in Knoxville. Good chance the closest they ever been to the state of Alabama is Chattanooga. Even my friend at work who went to Bama hates them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

:lol: what part of Fuente makes you do anything but remember Beamer's last lovely years? I mean be 100% honest, sit down and ask yourself where he is making the difference that will beat a coach like Dabo in the ACCCG. This isn't the snoozefest ACC of Beamer's day.

3 big games, 3 big failures. Only reasonably close game was when Jerod Evans carried the entire team.

Wouldn't use us as anything resembling a yard stick for success since we have no big win to speak of, you beat a nothing.

“We aren’t competing with the reigning national champions and losers of only two games in the last two years with our new head coach, WHAT IS HE EVEN DOING HERE?!”

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CB you have brain problems and are gonna be talking Fuente up again in like a week

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MourningView posted:

CB you have brain problems and are gonna be talking Fuente up again in like a week

I think Crotch had some of that Tennessee whiskey tonight.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“We aren’t competing with the reigning national champions and losers of only two games in the last two years with our new head coach, WHAT IS HE EVEN DOING HERE?!”

.500 Cuse can beat them but VT can't stay within 17, it's just :lol: that you guys excuse bad coaching failures.

I do like how you can't easily explain away getting rolled by Miami though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Clearly that one random game is the one that is representative of what Clemson is this year and not, like, every other game they’ve played.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I have never seen a Nebraska fan in the south, but Jesus Christ there are UF fans everywhere. Even here in Knoxville all I see (outside of Tennessee fans of course) are the following fans: Bama, Kentucky (these are basketball fans mainly), Virginia Tech (go more east like Johnson City and VT jumps to first), Florida, and random Ohio State, FSU, and UNC fan. That’s in order.

Also gently caress the local Bama fans who have nothing to do with school or the state. I seen several today walking around in their Bama gear in Knoxville. Good chance the closest they ever been to the state of Alabama is Chattanooga. Even my friend at work who went to Bama hates them.

Yeah of course if you're talking strictly SEC country. I'm saying you're far more likely to run into a Nebraska fan in, say, LA, Chicago, or Phoenix than a Florida fan.

And yes, dear god I hate seeing anyone here in the PNW wearing Bama gear. At least wear UW colors if you're gonna bandwagon.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

Clearly that one random game is the one that is representative of what Clemson is this year and not, like, every other game they’ve played.

And Iowa State is traditionally dogshit and VT is traditionally good but I'll trade in buckets of losses for not being humiliated every single time they play a big game.

Like I said, ISU has more top 5 wins in one season than VT has in 120 years of football. That's what is unacceptable to me and I'm sorry if that offends you.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Laterite posted:

Yeah of course if you're talking strictly SEC country. I'm saying you're far more likely to run into a Nebraska fan in, say, LA, Chicago, or Phoenix than a Florida fan.

Florida fans in Tennessee is just geography, but Nebraska fans in Chicago, that is the sign of Nebraska’s huge national fanbase.

Anyway all the good football players are already in Florida so really who cares?

Crotch Bat posted:

And Iowa State is traditionally dogshit and VT is traditionally good but I'll trade in buckets of losses for not being humiliated every single time they play a big game.

Like I said, ISU has more top 5 wins in one season than VT has in 120 years of football. That's what is unacceptable to me and I'm sorry if that offends you.

This is completely insane. You are a crazy person

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

I like when people say things are unacceptable even when they have no choice but to accept them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

.500 Cuse can beat them but VT can't stay within 17, it's just :lol: that you guys excuse bad coaching failures.

I do like how you can't easily explain away getting rolled by Miami though.

Jesus Christ Miami is pretty good, why are you melting down about this?

Also to be noted Iowa State has 2 of their three top 5 wins of 150 (however many) years of football this year. Their season is not a normal thing (you know this though and just want to be angry).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

This is not true and also completely insane.

Uh, yes it is. VT was 1-29 all-time under Beamer against top 5 teams. It's 0-1 under Fuente and pre-Beamer VT probably was 0-fer against like top 20 teams much less top 5.

VT has A win against a top 5 team in its history.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I meant you wanting to actually trade places with Iowa State. You root for a good football teams. You are gonna wake up tomorrow and be the most insane VT homer on earth all over again. Go to bed, man.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Jesus Christ Miami is pretty good, why are you melting down about this?

Also to be noted Iowa State has 2 of their three top 5 wins of 150 (however many) years of football this year. Their season is not a normal thing (you know this though and just want to be angry).

So before this season VT had as many top 5 wins as Iowa State did, just so we're clear. That's totally acceptable, though, right?

You clearly didn't watch the game, you just saw the score and said "OK" and moved on. Miracles needed to beat a 2 win FSU or a .500 GT but them manhandling a so-called top 15 VT is totally fine because "Miami is pretty good". At no point should I hold my staff accountable for the total lack of preparation shown by the team though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I watched enough of the game to see Miami dominated the line of scrimmage defensively, which you shrugged off as unimportant--or untrue in which case you're an even bigger idiot--before the game when you were told it would probably happen.

You guys lost on the road to a good team and things snowballed, it happens.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Top 5 wins is some arbitrary poo poo. Top 5 teams are really good! They’re hard to beat! And really it’s not like a win over a team ranked 6th or 7th is fundamentally that much different. You’ve had a top 25 team almost every dang year for like two decades. You are extremely spoiled.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

So before this season VT had as many top 5 wins as Iowa State did, just so we're clear. That's totally acceptable, though, right?

You clearly didn't watch the game, you just saw the score and said "OK" and moved on. Miracles needed to beat a 2 win FSU or a .500 GT but them manhandling a so-called top 15 VT is totally fine because "Miami is pretty good". At no point should I hold my staff accountable for the total lack of preparation shown by the team though.

Iowa literally lost to Northwestern, literally. Scored 10 points. They scored 55 against Ohio State. Football is weird and high variance and sometimes a bad matchup or two leads to one team just walking away from another pretty good team.

Calm down and go to sleep.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like Kirk (winner of 5 of his last 6 home games against top 5 teams) but if you let me trade him for Fuente I would do it so loving fast. I will drive to Iowa right now in the middle of the night, pick him up, and then drive him to Virginia. Enjoy inexplicably losing 4 straight to UVA.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 5, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Iowa literally lost to Northwestern, literally. Scored 10 points. They scored 55 against Ohio State. Football is weird and high variance and sometimes a bad matchup or two leads to one team just walking away from another pretty good team.

Calm down and go to sleep.

Quick, ask me if I'd rather be Iowa or VT this year. You think I care about lovely losses to bad teams? VT does that anyway. Iowa plays with more heart against better teams than VT ever does, that's what I loving care about seeing.

MourningView posted:

Top 5 wins is some arbitrary poo poo. Top 5 teams are really good! They’re hard to beat! And really it’s not like a win over a team ranked 6th or 7th is fundamentally that much different. You’ve had a top 25 team almost every dang year for like two decades. You are extremely spoiled.

Great, take it all. Take the bowl streak, take the 10 win seasons, give me all the aches and pains you have as an Iowa fan and give me the big wins and the heart you guys pull out when the games actually matter. You think I give a gently caress about 10 win seasons?

Nothing about VT ever makes you jealous as a fan. Nobody sits down and wishes for VT's consistency. I don't care about it at all.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

I like Kirk (winner of 5 of his last 6 home games against top 5 teams) but if you let me trade him for Fuente I would do it so loving fast. Enjoy inexplicably losing 4 straight to UVA.

You guys are insane, you act like VT doesn't also lose inexplicably too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am extremely jealous of it! You’re basically ACC Wisconsin. I desperately want Iowa to be Wisconsin.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 5, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
CB, at risk of being the pot calling another pot black, you're being a gigantic retard.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Would you say VT is having a decade of spectacular failure

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You know what's worse than losing inexplicably? Losing explicably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd like to step back from this meltdown for a moment and reiterate to Thoguh and the other Iowa State guys here that a fan of a pretty good program is repeatedly moaning about Iowa State doing something they didn't :unsmith:

That will...not help when your coach is poached, but it is a nice moment.

• Locked thread