Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can't argue against an irrational belief if the believer doesn't want to change his or her mind.

There's no logical way to convince someone that the world is a sphere, Chem trails are a fabrication, or that a 64 year old white dude killed 60 people if they hold a position without logic.

I just checked YouTube after I read this, there are probably hundreds of 'hoax' videos on the Las Vegas shooting already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

von Braun posted:

I just checked YouTube after I read this, there are probably hundreds of 'hoax' videos on the Las Vegas shooting already.

Only hundreds? Ha

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As someone said earlier, they see conspiracies because they need them to be true to have a single handle on the world around them.

If they know about the secret chemtrail conspiracy, then they have a secret advantage over everyone else, so when they get fired for being a weirdo creep they can blame the chemtrails, and when they get evicted they can blame the chemtrails.

It's a pretty vicious circle because these conspiracies just make your life worse when you delve into them, making it necessary to have new conspiracies to help explain all the bad poo poo that happened since you divorced yourself from reality.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's no way to get through to people once they start believing in things like "Crisis Actors" is there? Once they've crossed that threshold it's probably impossible to get them back huh?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can't argue against an irrational belief if the believer doesn't want to change his or her mind.

There's no logical way to convince someone that the world is a sphere, Chem trails are a fabrication, or that a 64 year old white dude killed 60 people if they hold a position without logic.

Tias posted:

Not so, fortunately. A lot of conspiracists crack from the strain of isolation and the symptoms of untreated mental illness and get help. We get the occasional poster here on SA saying they recovered, usually by improving other areas of their life and realizing they didn't need to see ghosts everywhere.
We could make the world such a better place if only we could make the world a better place.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Reading through Breitbart comments on the Las Vegas attack I saw people claiming multiple shooters, shooter is secret FBI agent, secret ISIS agent, etc.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Reading through Breitbart comments on the Las Vegas attack I saw people claiming multiple shooters, shooter is secret FBI agent, secret ISIS agent, etc.

Studies have shown people who believe one conspiracy theory will often believe multiple, even conflicting ones. They "know" something doesn't add up and will believe it just because its not the "official" story

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is making its way around CT circles

A lot of those things aren't true, and things that are, aren't really that special? Besides FALSE FLAG you always get people talking about how what they did is way beyond the capabilities of normal people. That what they did could only be done by highly trained Delta Force and Navy SEAL operatives.

Also no known motive does not mean no motive.

There's also this

do all :tinfoil: types have face blindness? They're constantly saying "Person x is actually Person Y" when they look nothing a like other than both being humans.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Don't know about the part where he disabled alarms, and "aimed" is a bit of an exaggeration when the target is enormous, but other than that yes, you've got the story straight.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And I'm pretty sure he paid some minimum wage hotel schlub to take his "cases" upstairs (on that modern wonder, Mr. Otis' miraculous Elevator, not step by step up 30 flights of stairs), and he didn't "remove" the window, he broke a hole in it, and it wasn't a secret snipers nest, it was his loving suite.

But other than that and the aforementioned...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Let me get this straight, a guy with no special training managed to get into a hotel room along with his luggage?!!?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This is so wildly inaccurate that it might be a parody.

https://townhall.com/notebook/stevesheldon/2017/10/05/please-stop-with-the-conspiracy-theories-regarding-the-las-vegas-shooting-n2390700

Are CTs this stupid? Of course they are.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ctOS is from the video game Watch Dogs, so yeah it is.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone have the original website that was promoting the crisis actor bullshit pre-Sandy Hook? I know James Tracy promoted it after Sandy Hook and that's when it really took off, but I remember seeing a website from before that linked in an older thread that was promoting the idea that had really obviously wrong accusations of various celebrities being the same alongside crisis actor accusations from earlier incidents that was pretty clearly a case of face blindness that seemed to be the original origin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's the Well Aware guy. He is legit crazy and insists everyone is actually a famous celeb. His evidence is a bunch of red lines going to facial features that don't match

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom watches this guy (and I think has sent him money). I can't decide if he is genuinely mentally ill, a scammer, or a little bit of both. I just can't sit through his videos all the way to watch them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3NFHqD3AAU90eqhI5XvOFA

She watches other videos from other people. I've had to tell her she's no longer welcome at our house and she still won't get help. As others have said, you can't force people to get better and get help. Its very frustrating that she believes randos on the internet over her own family. I have a degree in media arts and have worked in media and she still doesn't loving believe me. She's a flat earther too. Her clinging to her crazy ideas are more important to her than having a relationship with her only grandchild.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

twistedmentat posted:

That's the Well Aware guy. He is legit crazy and insists everyone is actually a famous celeb. His evidence is a bunch of red lines going to facial features that don't match

Is that what this is referencing?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah they both have TWO eyes. Code cracked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is that what this is referencing?

Yup.

Vice has a good article, for vice

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5gkm4k/this-man-believes-all-major-news-events-are-staged-by-actors

He thinks Morgan Freeman is Nelson Mandela, but also Jimi Hendricks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I think everyone but especially the people of Egypt would be better off if Eugene Levy was running the place.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Yup.

Vice has a good article, for vice

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5gkm4k/this-man-believes-all-major-news-events-are-staged-by-actors

He thinks Morgan Freeman is Nelson Mandela, but also Jimi Hendricks.

What the ever living gently caress? Mandela and Freeman sure, a passing resemblance at a quick glance, maybe I could even accept "they look alike" but Hendrix? He might as well have chosen a Chinese guy for his third.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

504 posted:

What the ever living gently caress? Mandela and Freeman sure, a passing resemblance at a quick glance, maybe I could even accept "they look alike" but Hendrix? He might as well have chosen a Chinese guy for his third.

These people are neurologically unable to recognize faces without extreme effort and long term personal exposure, and even then things as minor as a haircut will ruin their ability to recognize people.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Thanks! I love how even with all his bullshit about how absolutely every major event of the past century was a hoax even he finds the time to laugh at Flat Earthers.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Let me get this straight

*proceeds to bend truth*

:thunk:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

504 posted:

I also like that he gave up being a famous rock star to become a more famous movie star.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Thanks! I love how even with all his bullshit about how absolutely every major event of the past century was a hoax even he finds the time to laugh at Flat Earthers.

Yea, even thought flat earthers are the new hotness, they're still looked down upon by the rest of the CT community. They're the Orbital Laser brought down the WTC of the wider community.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So...................how about them there Kennedy papers released?

I can't lol hard enough that the FBI actually knew well before that Oswald was a crazy nut and didn't do anything about it. Considering it wouldn't be the last time our intelligence agencies knew about people that would eventually go on to kill a bunch of people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jiro posted:

I can't lol hard enough that the FBI actually knew well before that Oswald was a crazy nut and didn't do anything about it. Considering it wouldn't be the last time our intelligence agencies knew about people that would eventually go on to kill a bunch of people.

just being a crazy nut isn't enough. you have to catch someone while they are preparing for an act but before they've done it, which is a very small window. the fbi knew about adam lanza being a nut years before he did sandy hook but there wasn't poo poo they could do because he hadn't done anything illegal and so had no grounds on which to intervene. being a crazy nut isn't against the law

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

boner confessor posted:

just being a crazy nut isn't enough. you have to catch someone while they are preparing for an act but before they've done it, which is a very small window. the fbi knew about adam lanza being a nut years before he did sandy hook but there wasn't poo poo they could do because he hadn't done anything illegal and so had no grounds on which to intervene. being a crazy nut isn't against the law

This is also why you hear about those "the fbi basically gave this person a fake bomb and got them to push the plunger" cases.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

boner confessor posted:

Only in America does having a ton of guns and being a crazy nut isn't considered a threat. But then in the US government was sane and not lead around by the balls by the NRA, it probably would.

Truthers are scum

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/27/and-now-conspiracy-theorists-are-threatening-las-vegas-shooting-survivors/

Got some new Well Aware crazy too
Yul Brenner and Anton LeVey were the same person! For some reason

What??? Tim Conway is Halderman???

And this is just the cherry on the crazy sundae, Graham Chapman is Prince Charles!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Alterian posted:

My mom watches this guy (and I think has sent him money). I can't decide if he is genuinely mentally ill, a scammer, or a little bit of both. I just can't sit through his videos all the way to watch them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3NFHqD3AAU90eqhI5XvOFA

She watches other videos from other people. I've had to tell her she's no longer welcome at our house and she still won't get help. As others have said, you can't force people to get better and get help. Its very frustrating that she believes randos on the internet over her own family. I have a degree in media arts and have worked in media and she still doesn't loving believe me. She's a flat earther too. Her clinging to her crazy ideas are more important to her than having a relationship with her only grandchild.

If your mother is a flat-earther you can just buy a go-pro and a weather balloon to prove the earth is curved.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Only in America does having a ton of guns and being a crazy nut isn't considered a threat. But then in the US government was sane and not lead around by the balls by the NRA, it probably would.

technically he didn't own any guns, his mother did

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jiro posted:

There are a poo poo ton of crazies out there. If the fbi just swooped them all up, they’d deny us the glory of time cube and colloidal silver.

It’s the price of liberty really.

:911:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Triskelli posted:

If your mother is a flat-earther you can just buy a go-pro and a weather balloon to prove the earth is curved.

The atmosphere causes lens distortions that high up. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"He was a crazy nut! Why wasn't he locked up?" is a really shaky line to cross. It seems easy now in retrospect, but you go into a really dark gray area when you start talking about imprisoning people and confiscating their property (or in the case of Adam Lanza, their family's property) when they haven't committed a crime. Considering all the powers police already abuse in America, giving them more isn't exactly something I'm eager to do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe we should invest in providing free public mental health care instead, since that would be in the public interest

Wait, would that possibly benefit poors or minorities? Maybe not then

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

He was on the radar because he had defected to the Soviet Union but he was such a loser, glory hound I imagine the people who were tasked with watching him didn't take him seriously. There was good evidence he tried to kill General Walker but that's never been confirmed 100% to my knowledge. It was also the 60's so I imagine the information didn't go up the chain fast enough or in a way that was taken seriously by higher ups.

The FBI totally dropped the ball, like someone always does when these things happen in the modern era, but it's reasonable to believe that Oswald wasn't taken seriously because his life had been a sad joke up to that point.

Fun fact, he bought his rifle through the National Rifleman, the NRA magazine. It was through an ad and mail order but even before the NRA going crazy they were at the center of a gun controversy.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 28, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There was good evidence he tried to kill General Walker but that's never been confirmed 100% to my knowledge.

It's been a while since I read about that incident, but I'm pretty sure that none other than Marina established to within very very little doubt that he he made that run at Walker. I believe they found recon photos of the general's home in Oswald's possessions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I was under the impression that him taking a shot at walker was pretty much confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

quote:

It takes a remarkable mind to undo decades and decades of programming in order to understand the big picture and what it all means. Water remains level everywhere and every scientific experiment proves it finds it's level and we have measured up to 200 miles and it is perfectly straight where there should be miles of curvature.

You just may want to redefine what is intelligence? Is it the ability to have your brain insert "facts" and then to regurgitate those "facts" onto a paper for a high score or the ability to hear those "facts" and go out and verify for oneself while also thinking for oneself. Too much trust being placed into the people that created the law for you to go to school, the same lawmakers that put you in jail when you do not pay their taxes that you never agreed to. The same lawmakers whom are indicted on sexual perversions with children and prostitutes every year. The same lawmakers that made it okay for yet another actor to take on the presidency? Give me a break you have Stockholm Syndrome and do not even realize it.

Everyone without fail, that seriously researches and does experiments looking for curvature becomes a flat earther. We all learned the same pseudoscience in school and we just questioned it and then validated it by the true scientific method which is TESTING your hypothesis. I tried debunking the flat earth as are all of us recent flat earthers. I have been trying for 3 years to find curvature or any non CGI picture from NASA. I have not found anything that indicates we live on a sphere moving eastwardly at 1000MPH.

I would love to find it and go back to a normal life unfortunately I am like Rorschach from Watchmen, I will not compromise myself in the face of truth. I will die standing behind the flat earth. Are you willing to lay down your life that the world is a sphere? Have you ever seen space personally? Have you looked down and seen a ball rotating or are you just going by what you have been given as evidence? Listen it is a very very clever tricked they pulled on everyone I bought their story hook line and sinker for 30+ years. It wasn't until I did the experiments to where I know NOT believe but KNOW (BIG DIFFERENCE) the earth is flat and stationary and the stars sun and moon move around us.

The thing is what they have planned for those that buy into the ball earth model WILL ultimately cost you your life so I am doing my part to warn and urge people to go out and research for yourself.

I will not answer any questions on this matter go do the research and if you have contention send me video proof of YOUR experiment proving otherwise and will retract all my statements and become a ball earther and give $10,000 cash to whomever can provide video evidence of their experiment and the results can be repeated.

The results for flat earth are repeatable step 1 find a body of water several miles across (preferably a still/calm lake) step 2 using telescopes or lasers measure just above the surface. Use this site to find the supposed curvature at the distance you are measuring http://earthcurvature.com/ step 3 find a deviation in inches or feet off the perfect parallel of the water. YOU WILL NEVER FIND A CURVE but good luck an easy 10 grand probably easier than whatever job you do. $10 ebay green laser pointer a styrofoam cooler lid (tape laser on top of the cooler lid) and place on top of still water and a body of water use google maps or whatever to calculate the distance. I will pay your costs for the laser pointer and cooler lid in addition to the $10,000. What do you have to lose but time and only money to gain?

This guy must be fun at parties.

Flat-Earthers are what I compare holocaust deniers to, to give them an idea of how retarded they sound (not that there's any getting through the layers of delusion), incidentally the Nazis had all sorts of batshit crazy ideas about cosmology to the point that they diverted men and radar equipment from the war effort to try and prove the Hollow Earth hypothesis.

• Locked thread