Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What are some RPGs that let you set up detailed tactics for your party members, à la Dragon Age or Final Fantasy XII?

tales of hearts r?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stexils posted:

drugs are the ultimate microtransaction

In the end, it's all dopamine agonists

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

its just chocolate. find a new bar.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Reality Winner posted:

What's a good odyssey like game I can play to scratch my odyssey itch until I can play odyssey

banjo kazooie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Well, do you?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
3d world just ainy the the right 3d

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feed the cat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

Feed the cat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

the new Animal Crossing got weird

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got to the odyssey credits and I haven’t stopped smiling for like the last hour and a half

What a loving brilliant finale and outro

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genuine question: why do JRPGs and similar games place such a big emphasis on food? Seems like there are tons of RPGs where you can cook a huge variety of detailed dishes for buffs. That basically never happens in western games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

food is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Genuine question: why do JRPGs and similar games place such a big emphasis on food? Seems like there are tons of RPGs where you can cook a huge variety of detailed dishes for buffs. That basically never happens in western games.
most western rpgs have food systems too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You see, the Japanese salaryman longs for the delicious food he had as a child, a symbol of lost innocence~~

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You see, the Japanese salaryman longs for the delicious food he had as a child, a symbol of lost innocence~~

Hell I think they'd take anything better than convenience store food.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

conveyor belt sushi is real good and ill fight anyone who disagrees

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there's a place here that has all you can eat conveyor belt Tempura :discourse:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

most western rpgs have food systems too

No they don't. Thinking back on games I've played, the Japanese ones have always had the more elaborate and detailed food systems. That's the entire reason I asked about it, since it always struck me as odd.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

there's a place here that has all you can eat conveyor belt Tempura :discourse:
that's the good poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, witcher 3, skyrim? and like, its not like final fantasy or dragon quest have ever really had cooking systems in any game. i think you're just seeing a trend thats not really there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

i mean, witcher 3, skyrim? and like, its not like final fantasy or dragon quest have ever really had cooking systems in any game. i think you're just seeing a trend thats not really there.

Dunno about Witcher 3 but I don't remember any cooking in Skyrim. There was potion brewing for buffs but I never found myself gathering ingredients to make into anything other than a slurry of dubious liquid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXV had great cooking

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The Tales and Star Ocean games are a progenitor of this. Western RPGs are descended from D&D which put more emphasis on potions. The Ultima games had food crafting but they went out of style as 3D hit the scene.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

Here's a quick not particularly amazing OP for the November chat thread. I also apologize for going for a bad Guns and Roses pun title.

day 5: still can't open my SA Control Panel without getting G'n'R stuck in my F'n head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

The Tales and Star Ocean games are a progenitor of this. Western RPGs are descended from D&D which put more emphasis on potions. The Ultima games had food crafting but they went out of style as 3D hit the scene.

in pillars of eternity you can drink beer and eat chicken to get better at fighting

i am given to understand this is 100% how real life works

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eating food for HP and alcohol/beverages for ability points is a staple in many games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Just beat the final boss in Mario Odyssey and, well, you got me. It's the best Mario ever made

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can play fetch in Super Mario Odyssey, so

Looper posted:

It's the best Mario ever made

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Goddamn the new Wolfenstein goes some crazy places.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The lootbox drug basically doesn't do anything to me but the idle game drug? Hoooo boy that is dangerous for me. I think it's something to do with not knowing what comes next, whereas with lootboxes you always know what you could potentially get.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pigbuster posted:

The lootbox drug basically doesn't do anything to me but the idle game drug? Hoooo boy that is dangerous for me. I think it's something to do with not knowing what comes next, whereas with lootboxes you always know what you could potentially get.

*Activision employee does a giant like of coke* "OK right so what about procedurally generated loot"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Internet Kraken posted:

Dunno about Witcher 3 but I don't remember any cooking in Skyrim. There was potion brewing for buffs but I never found myself gathering ingredients to make into anything other than a slurry of dubious liquid.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Cooking

I mean I don't blame you for not remembering it since it wasn't very useful, but it was there. Whole bunch of recipes and everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Kraken posted:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Jay Rust posted:

What are some RPGs that let you set up detailed tactics for your party members, à la Dragon Age or Final Fantasy XII?

R-Type Final

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally got to start the second route of Nier: Automata and holy poo poo pitching the voice changer all the way down is the most fun I’ve ever had in years

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

*cartoon "doink" sound, laugh track*

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, I hope everybody is having a good weekend.

My weekend isn't going that well but that's largely due to a situation where I've run out of a specific medication I need and going from max dose to cold turkey is wrecking me in a lot of ways, but thankfully I will hopefully be able to get to see a doctor on Tuesday at the latest and possibly Sunday at the soonest.

I wish everyone else a good day. Lots of good games came out recently so I hope everyone is enjoying them, or otherwise enjoying playing whatever they're currently playing. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got to the credits in SMO now I have a dog with a hat following me

• Locked thread