Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

frajaq posted:

What's a good guide to figure out how to survive in off-lane alone, I suck at it

guides for this game are dumb & unnecessary probably, just look at a thing that shows you what exp range is and stay within that without dying. if there's a chance to safely (you learn what this is by doing. if you died it wasnt safe) get a creep for the valuable 'gold' resource do it. get the bounty rune every even minute, hell maybe try to get both if the enemy isn't on point with them. consider rotating to perform the 'gank' maneuver to obtain gold and experience for yourself and upwards of four other players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Play as Clockwerk to learn offlane because he is fun

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like they wanted to get rid of the 'scepter is absolutely 100% required on tiny' thing above all else and made a way to work it into the hero's kit. probably absolutely needs some tweaking, though

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
rip

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

frajaq posted:

What's a good guide to figure out how to survive in off-lane alone, I suck at it

Surviving offlane solo is partly about who you've picked, what you're up against, and which side you're on.

If you have picked someone that has no ability to escape or to stay within xp range and you're up against a trilane full of stuns you're boned.

Don't solo offlane unless you've picked something appropriate and can rely on your team to come help out with ganks or to provide you with a lane-partner if it turns out the lane is otherwise going to be a shitshow of you feeding.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
solo offlane is about finishing that lane as quickly as possible without dying

if you're there its because you picked a hero that does a thing once it hits a certain amount of farm/levels

usually that means hit 6 and get your ult and/or farm a blink, once you're done go use it

now that they expanded the XP range it should be easier to just sit back and get early solo xp until you outlevel the 2 heros they have safelane and can get more aggressive

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Figure out if the lane can kill you and when, then lane appropriately. If you're tide against two week laners you can run over them, but someone softer has to hide in xp range. Pull from their hard camp when the lane is too pushed, gets you a free wave under their tower. If you're someone that can clear stacks, stack.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
creep camp stacking/lane pulling seem like very esoteric features that are not part of the grand 'fight other heroes at all times' ideal this game should be aiming for. kill the jungle i say

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Snazzy Frocks posted:

creep camp stacking/lane pulling seem like very esoteric features that are not part of the grand 'fight other heroes at all times' ideal this game should be aiming for. kill the jungle i say

Stacking just gives u more jungle to kill when you're done killing lane

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
I play solo offlane quite a bit. One of the best tips I can give is immediately get a ward and run to the bottom lane as fast as you can. Set up some defensive vision before the supports get there. You'll often catch them warding and you can get some free XP off the deward. You cant always win your lane also. If you are just hosed don't be too proud to leech XP from the trees. If you are not showing for a while the supports will sometimes wander off letting you kill the carry. When the runes spawn that's usually a good time to make your move.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brinner posted:

Or take him mid and force the enemy mid to go jungle from minute 1 :toot:

Yeah, it works really well when someone on your team doesn't pitch an autism fit over Bane mid.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

solo offlane where you're just leeching exp isn't very good if the enemy carry is any decent at denying. denies give gently caress all for exp again.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
dota

what can i say that hasn't already been said except

gently caress antimage

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

heres mine

guess what file is still stored locally and thus editable

Craig K fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 4, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Peace de Bundy posted:

dota

what can i say that hasn't already been said except

gently caress antimage

Looks like somebody sundered this guy's cabal....

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm really disappointed in valve for giving invoker a full closet of fashionable multicolored outfits just because he likes to juggle some balls

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Looks like someones never had their caballs juggled...

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I have sundered these balls.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is my hate for pudge justified or should I just learn the matchup

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Agoat posted:

Dont pick viper it's impossible to win vs pudge as viper mid.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Dont pick viper it's impossible to win vs pudge as viper mid.

Hehehe I remember that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Agoat posted:

The matchup for every hero is to stand behind creeps at a medium distance and click him. It's more exaggerated for ranged heroes but if you don't get hooked I don't think there's a single hero that loses lane to pudge

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

what if he approaches you :ohdear:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I think the most questionable move of all this patch was owning randoming in many different ways for no reason

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

I think the most questionable move of all this patch was owning randoming in many different ways for no reason

Reddit hates randoming so icefrog does too

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Wangsbig posted:

AR sucks now
SD is full of low priority shutters
RD got changed to be kinda tryhard

RIP Fun Dota modes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ability Draft still exists and is still the most fun Dota mode

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ability Draft still exists and is still the most fun Dota mode

Legends of Dota Redux is better because it doesnt take 5 minutes to draft only for some fuckwad to leave because he didnt get the carry skill he wanted, causing a cascade of leavers

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Neurolimal posted:

Legends of Dota Redux is better because it doesnt take 5 minutes to draft only for some fuckwad to leave because he didnt get the carry skill he wanted, causing a cascade of leavers

i LOVE legends of dota redux it's my testing ground for dumb and insanely broken heroes like my original character Dark Puck (c) me 2017 do not steal

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Craig K posted:

i LOVE legends of dota redux it's my testing ground for dumb and insanely broken heroes like my original character Dark Puck (c) me 2017 do not steal

Hell yeah :hf: my steam name's Greedo's Speedo, I play p regularly so you've probably seen me whine like a baby about people not enabling extra bans

This new patch has been hilarious because of CDR talents not being removed yet + Willow skills being ridiculous. If you go Drow and take Shadow Realm at 25 you can literally chain realms and the enemy can just go eat poo poo if they dont have an AoE silence

also valve didnt code Bedlam as an ult (which is why theres a delay in leveling when you skill up terrorize) so at level 3 you can run around with a 225 dps aura

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhzrb07hFn8

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
omni offlane seems really good now, you've got +90 gpm at level ten to help you finish up that radiance and then +90 damage (woah) (wow) once you hit level 15

I am not at an mmr where ppl are able to consistently deny creeps from you to stop you from outleveling their duo, but still theoretically you can CS with purify and repel decently enough, and once you get arcanes the lane is usually pretty easy

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Diffusal isn't BAD, but it blows my mind people keep rushing it on pangolier. Do they think his q procs on hits or something? :iiam:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Diffusal isn't BAD, but it blows my mind people keep rushing it on pangolier. Do they think his q procs on hits or something? :iiam:

...it does. The only modifiers it doesnt proc are ones based on your attack damage; cleave, lifesteal, or crit.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Neurolimal posted:

...it does. The only modifiers it doesnt proc are ones based on your attack damage; cleave, lifesteal, or crit.
It even procs Return Aura, I'm pretty sure. Its ticks seem like they're coded as a 0% damage autoattack plus the fixed damage value.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Hm, really? That seems like a pretty vital thing to leave out of the tooltip. It specifically says Heartpiercer has a chance to activate, but Essence Aura specifically says it can activate off of Arcane Orb and it doesn't work for any other orb effect.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the actual dueling fates update page mentioned how the ability worked, but the ingame tooltip does not

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Cuntellectual posted:

It's actually good and cool. The stat gain is nice and the slow helps landing all your spells and being the annoying pos you are. Add a linkens and an MKB and you poo poo out damage and are pretty untouchable. The meme build is to go treads into 5 javelins and watch your Q proc for 1600 dmg a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cuntellectual posted:

lol