Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm real glad I unintentionally went with the "Wei never fucks" route because it's already difficult to be behind his decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

achtungnight posted:

Tremendously Creepy Douchbaggery?

What’s the maximum sentence for that?

In the modern US? Not much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

achtungnight posted:

Tremendously Creepy Douchbaggery?

What’s the maximum sentence for that?

A long and lucrative career in Hollywood.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Waffleman_ posted:

A long and lucrative career in Hollywood.

Or a presidency, really.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Bruceski posted:

In the modern US? Not much.

Even less in Hong Kong, I should warrant.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Night10194 posted:

Or a presidency, really.

Definitely Presidency.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Huh. I was not expecting to hear some Opeth in this game. That was The Grand Conjuration, if anyone's interested - from Ghost Reveries, possibly my favourite album of theirs.

I wasn't really into the growly-vocals style of metal at first either, but it was actually Opeth that changed my mind on that. (Specifically their album Watershed. I've got a 5.1 surround mix of that album, and man it's good.)

Yeah... stalker Wei. I think this is around where I stopped watching the previous LP of this game. Blech.

On the other hand; yay, Jackie Chan! Police Story is one of my favourites. Haven't seen it in ages. I wasn't aware of The Foreigner; might have to check it out. (Though it looks pretty different in tone to the movies of his heyday.)

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I actually saw The Foreigner last week. Thought it was quite good. Very different than the usual Dad fiction that it resembled from the trailers. Jackie is certainly old now, but he uses that to make the film feel a bit more grounded than his typical shtick.

Not much of a comedy though, this one's straight political drama/thriller with kung fu thrown in where possible.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm surprised nobody said anything when I forgot to update yesterday. I mean I went to a wedding this weekend instead of making a video, but that means I'll have to skip next week, not this one.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
We trust you, man. You're one of the most consistent LPers here. If you miss a day I'd just think that you posted about it and that I just missed the notice.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Apparently only killing people with firearms counts in Conroy's eyes. Murdering people with brutal takedowns doesn't count.

thingsareswinging
Jun 2, 2013
I get the feeling Conroy might not be entirely clear on what an undercover police officer can and cannot do.

Edit: Admittedly, I don't think Wei knows either.

thingsareswinging fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 31, 2017

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
a common thread in the intel on the water street gang is that they're not really big players and they'll probably never be big players. winston has serious anger issues and an explosive temper, uses steroids extensively, and tends to act before thinking. conroy, the second in command, is even worse in terms of his aggression. i remember one of the profiles suggesting that appointing conroy as second in command outright made the water street gang the weakest faction in the sun on yee.

the first minute or so of this update does a great drat job of showing how the gang operated until now and how wei's presence is changing things. dogeyes intentionally provokes winston. winston loses his poo poo, demands blood. conroy (who i keep wanting to call conrad for some reason) is 100% on board with it. then wei steps in and says "hey wait maybe instead of murdering everyone, we just murder a few people in such a way that dogeyes still gets hosed over but we manage to get in good with the higher ups in the gang." with the earlier dynamic, conroy would have eagerly encouraged winston's mindless rage and they'd probably have gotten in trouble for loving over the gang as a whole for petty vengeance. as it is, conroy still manages to be about as big an idiot as possible. if wei hadn't done most of the mission solo he'd probably have just killed everyone anyway because gently caress it, he wants to kill someone today. as it is, wei's managed to salvage things and in the process gained both winston and conroy's respect. slowly but surely, he's rising up the ranks.

also for gently caress's sake wei when you buy food actually eat some of it instead of just shoving it at your face and then throwing it on the ground :argh:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I didn't even know this LP had a regular update schedule.

Didn't know about the ability to give people cars from your garage either.

New Cast-

Siu Wah- Vic Chao.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
"I want to see blood on your hands," says the crook to Wei Shen, who had by that point already killed 62 people, most of them in public...

Remember when I was commenting that some of these sessions were quite light when it came to crimes? Yeah... I think this one made up for it.

So, as always, a lot of these actions are very difficult to parse out. For instance, Wei Shen goes into a hostile warehouse intending no good. He confronts a number of guards, one of whom has a knife. Taking the knife, he kills two people with it (he actually took down four with the knife, but only three are definitively dead). Is this an act of Second Degree Murder? Or First Degree Manslaughter? Even if we go purely by statute, it depends heavily on whose rules we're using. On the one hand, Wei did not actively go into the warehouse to kill these men, but on the other hand, he DID go there to commit a crime, and deaths caused in the commission of a crime are typically considered more heinous. In the end, I have to rely on circumstantial evidence. He verbally stated to one of his confederates that he was intending to kill Dogeyes' drug dealers. As such, I've tipped it up to murder.

Shoving a dude's head in a blast furnace is a little more obvious of course.

This is, by a HUGE margin, the most lawless session yet. The crimes are many, serious, and fairly well varied. Behold:

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 19 (total: 168)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 28 (total: 90)

Crimes:

14 Counts Assault and Battery
4 Counts Assault with a Deadly Weapon
20 Counts Murder in the Second Degree
1 Count Aggravated Kidnapping in the First Degree
1 Count Conspiracy to Commit Arson in the First Degree
1 Count Misdemeanor Resisting Arrest
1 Count Grand Theft of a Police Vehicle
4 Counts Reckless Endangerment
5 Counts Misdemeanor Hit-and-Run
1 Count Petty Larceny
3 Counts Malicious Destruction of Property
1 Count Littering
1 Count Busting up a Highly Legitimate Loan Arrangement for no Reason
2 Counts Aggravated Violation of the Laws of Physics
3 Counts Carjacking
2 Counts Felony Resisting Arrest
2 Counts Murder of a Peace Officer in the First Degree
1 Count Grand Theft Auto (Motorcycle)
1 Count Vehicular Assault on a Police Officer
1 Count Grand Larceny
1 Count Vehicular Homicide

For a total sentence, from this session alone, of TWO DEATH SENTENCES, plus 729 Years, 3 Months.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to include capital punishments in this list, but the malicious murder of two police officers while engaged in fleeing the scene of tremendous other major crimes, is pretty much the textbook definition of a capital crime in every jurisdiction that employs the concept.

I've set up a spreadsheet to take care of the calculations, which caught several mistakes I had made previously. As such, the running adjusted total of the entire LP to date is now:

TWO DEATH SENTENCES, 8 Consecutive Life Sentences, and 1,638 Years, 9 Months.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Incidentally, presuming Bobbin and the thread's approval of course, I think from now on I'm only going to post the session-sentence, and keep the running total to myself until the end of the game, when we can all get amazed by just what a staggering slate of crimes Wei Shen has amassed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This takedown's definitely brutal, but I'd say the first time you shove a guy into a ventilation fan (which is what, the first environmental takedown in the game?) is the first "Jesus Christ, Wei" . They start visceral and brutal and never stop, somehow this game manages to avoid a lot of the desentization that happens.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
When Bobbin says the Big Smile Lee is considered evil even by triad standards, he's not kidding. In fact, one of my personal favorite characters in this game outright tells you just how much she detests his operations later on.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 1, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chimera-gui posted:

When Bobbin says the Big Smile Lee is considered evil even by triad standards, he's not kidding. In fact, one of my personal favorite characters in this outright tells you just how much she detests his operations later on.

One of the keys is that in his in-game description, they mention Lee is the kind of man who doesn't believe in long-term investments or any kind of controlling, stabilizing restraint. He's rich as hell, extremely powerful, and going to go down in flames and take a shitload of people with him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GenHavoc posted:

"I want to see blood on your hands," says the crook to Wei Shen, who had by that point already killed 62 people, most of them in public...

Remember when I was commenting that some of these sessions were quite light when it came to crimes? Yeah... I think this one made up for it.

So, as always, a lot of these actions are very difficult to parse out. For instance, Wei Shen goes into a hostile warehouse intending no good. He confronts a number of guards, one of whom has a knife. Taking the knife, he kills two people with it (he actually took down four with the knife, but only three are definitively dead). Is this an act of Second Degree Murder? Or First Degree Manslaughter? Even if we go purely by statute, it depends heavily on whose rules we're using. On the one hand, Wei did not actively go into the warehouse to kill these men, but on the other hand, he DID go there to commit a crime, and deaths caused in the commission of a crime are typically considered more heinous. In the end, I have to rely on circumstantial evidence. He verbally stated to one of his confederates that he was intending to kill Dogeyes' drug dealers. As such, I've tipped it up to murder.

Shoving a dude's head in a blast furnace is a little more obvious of course.

This is, by a HUGE margin, the most lawless session yet. The crimes are many, serious, and fairly well varied. Behold:

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 19 (total: 168)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 28 (total: 90)

Crimes:

14 Counts Assault and Battery
4 Counts Assault with a Deadly Weapon
20 Counts Murder in the Second Degree
1 Count Aggravated Kidnapping in the First Degree
1 Count Conspiracy to Commit Arson in the First Degree
1 Count Misdemeanor Resisting Arrest
1 Count Grand Theft of a Police Vehicle
4 Counts Reckless Endangerment
5 Counts Misdemeanor Hit-and-Run
1 Count Petty Larceny
3 Counts Malicious Destruction of Property
1 Count Littering
3 Counts Carjacking
2 Counts Felony Resisting Arrest
2 Counts Murder of a Peace Officer in the First Degree
1 Count Grand Theft Auto (Motorcycle)
1 Count Vehicular Assault on a Police Officer
1 Count Grand Larceny
1 Count Vehicular Homicide

For a total sentence, from this session alone, of TWO DEATH SENTENCES, plus 729 Years, 3 Months.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to include capital punishments in this list, but the malicious murder of two police officers while engaged in fleeing the scene of tremendous other major crimes, is pretty much the textbook definition of a capital crime in every jurisdiction that employs the concept.

I've set up a spreadsheet to take care of the calculations, which caught several mistakes I had made previously. As such, the running adjusted total of the entire LP to date is now:

TWO DEATH SENTENCES, 8 Consecutive Life Sentences, and 1,638 Years, 9 Months.

I'm just gonna quote myself here:

VolticSurge posted:

That's some Judge Dredd poo poo.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Speaking of Judge Dredd, the 2012 Dredd movie was compared heavily to The Raid (2011), thanks to an almost identical set-up in both movies.

The Raid is a great action movie, but "brutal" is right. It's the reason I haven't watched the sequel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

GenHavoc posted:

Incidentally, presuming Bobbin and the thread's approval of course, I think from now on I'm only going to post the session-sentence, and keep the running total to myself until the end of the game, when we can all get amazed by just what a staggering slate of crimes Wei Shen has amassed.

Fine by me. I look forward to seeing a prison sentence that would have even Methuselah go 'gently caress's sake, man'.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was enjoying the running crime tally, but hey, whatever you have time and will to do. Just please keep up with the thread and post when you can thanks.

Edit- I misunderstood. No problem. I look forward to the total at the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Speaking of Judge Dredd, the 2012 Dredd movie was compared heavily to The Raid (2011), thanks to an almost identical set-up in both movies.

The Raid is a great action movie, but "brutal" is right. It's the reason I haven't watched the sequel.

The sequel is maybe even more brutal, so that's likely the right call.

The Raid 2 also has much more... plot. Like, there are themes and everything. A scene did some really clever stuff with dialog, conveying a lot quickly. It's still a brutal action movie, but it's trying to also be a clever crime drama.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

You know, it'd be nice if the favour missions (except for the cop ones and the one with Tiffany's gun) came up later in the game and plot more. The truck guy even says, "Let me know if you need anything," but Wei's one man campaign of favours across Hong Kong never comes up in the plot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boy, after looking it up, Jet Li was in some really... not-great Hollywood productions in the early and mid 2000's I forgot about, at least compared to the few Chinese productions I've seen (the big ones that made it to NA around the same time) that he starred in. I remember enjoying a few of the Hollywood movies in a sort of... disposable manner but looking at this list, with the exception of the one you may be reviewing next time, these are some Grade A Trashy films.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Kibayasu posted:

with the exception of the one you may be reviewing next time, these are some Grade A Trashy films.

Yeah, I think the one that Bobbin will be covering next would definitely be a good choice as the protagonist and antagonist use different styles as a means to compliment their characterization.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Boy, after looking it up, Jet Li was in some really... not-great Hollywood productions in the early and mid 2000's I forgot about, at least compared to the few Chinese productions I've seen (the big ones that made it to NA around the same time) that he starred in. I remember enjoying a few of the Hollywood movies in a sort of... disposable manner but looking at this list, with the exception of the one you may be reviewing next time, these are some Grade A Trashy films.

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then the movie you're referring to is on my list but it's not the next one up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Assuming you talk about all the movies directly referenced by the in game costumes, we'll be getting some prime Jet Li later anyways.

E: Fun fact: a young Jet Li was once asked by President Nixon to be his personal bodyguard, but Li turned him down. At least according to Jet Li himself, and why would he lie?

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 2, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GenHavoc posted:

I love these additions :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then the movie you're referring to is on my list but it's not the next one up.

Honestly I'm not sure if what you're thinking is what I'm thinking because I'm thinking it depends on what you (and I) think Hollywood breakout means. You probably have a better definition than I though. Hey, it'll be a bit of a surprise at least.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww yeah, The Raid proper. Love that movie. Its sequel is amazing, too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are you still accepting film requests via patreon? And would cowboy bar fights actually qualify?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Are you still accepting film requests via patreon? And would cowboy bar fights actually qualify?

I am, and I'd accept a movie about Western martial arts, but in that case most of the fighting has to be hand-to-hand or with melee weapons and the protagonist needs to be formally trained. So a boxing movie like Rocky or Raging Bull could qualify, but probably not a cowboy bar fight unless David Carradine is present.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Man, I thought I had a pretty good suggestion, combining reflection about film history with an odd take on the traditional Western brawls.

Oh well. Watch it anyway, s'good.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
By the time I'd thought of a suggestion, it was already taken.

So, I look forward to when it shows up :allears:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I've been a long time fan of Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer and their brand of raucous slapstick brawling. Their best film work together is probably still the spaghetti western parody "They Call Me Trinity", but the sequel "Trinity is Still My Name" is pretty good, too.

I figure their best brawls and stunts are in "Watch Out, We're Mad", a modern-day buddy picture which also features a scenery-chewing Donald Pleasance as a German psychiatrist with a few mental problems of his own.

The Hill and Spencer comedies are pretty formulaic, but that's no issue if you like the formula.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Man, I thought I had a pretty good suggestion, combining reflection about film history with an odd take on the traditional Western brawls.

Oh well. Watch it anyway, s'good.

You sure?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunraku_(film)

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Bunraku is a really good movie that blends western tropes with samurai drama in a surreal setting.

But I've already made my suggestion, so I"ll leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm surprised nobody said anything when I forgot to update yesterday. I mean I went to a wedding this weekend instead of making a video, but that means I'll have to skip next week, not this one.

Oh, I just thought you were making the Horror themed dlc, but I remembered that spoils the hell of the game just now.

• Locked thread