Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Part 5 was good and you're all so mean :saddowns: Roy was a great substitute considering Jason was too dead to kill any nerds, Also the ending is easily rectified if you imagine Pam turns around, sees the masked Tommy, goes "WOW NOPE", and loving Mike Tyson punches him unconcious. Pam was a badass she could pull it off.

also Jason Goes To Hell is a FANTASTIC movie if you roll the credits after Jason's obliterated by FBI mortar fire. Frankly all slasher series' should be ended by the villian being vapourized by heavy military hardware. A second to late and it all goes to poo poo though.

EDIT: :murder: snipe, but with blue chevrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most local pizza joints are sub-pizza-hut bad. Pizza from a legit sit down place is usually good but takeout-style places are just awful 90% of the time.

Also, right-wingers are the real snowflakes in need of safe spaces. They fly into rages over flags n poo poo and if you ask them to source an argument it’s always some ranty conservative hugbox with an obvious bias.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, right-wingers are the real snowflakes in need of safe spaces. They fly into rages over flags n poo poo and if you ask them to source an argument it’s always some ranty conservative hugbox with an obvious bias.

I don't know how unpopular that is, but it's definitely true and hilarious, watching some dork like Adam Corolla use all those terms in a derogatory manner and put sooo much effort into being exactly what he hates from a different perspective is really something else. Honestly I find the whole safe space culture pretty irritating myself, but I'm not going to go out of my way to act like an even bigger coddled baby than the supposed perpetrators.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

phuo Bethesda is a really cool company that makes worthwhile games, even if they are always flawed. They are one of the better publishers out there right now that seems to allow their devs to have some creative freedom without turning everything into skinner box bs.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It is sexual harassment if your boss asks you to animate them with scantily clad characters. Right?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most local pizza joints are sub-pizza-hut bad.

Same but for local restaurants in general. I feel like way too many bad restaurants get a pass just because they are "local small businesses" that people feel good about supporting, but generally it's the same microwaved from frozen poo poo you'd get at a chain restaurant. If anything the chain restaurants are probably at least hygienic - it seems like in my hometown when a new non-chain restaurant opens up you find out a few months down the road that they have a massive amount of health code violations and shut down, only to be replaced by an equally bland inauthentic new one.

There are exceptions like maybe if you live in a big city, but in more suburbish/small town areas "hole in the wall" local-run restaurants are more likely to sell you food poisoning than authentic delicious food.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Same but for local restaurants in general. I feel like way too many bad restaurants get a pass just because they are "local small businesses" that people feel good about supporting, but generally it's the same microwaved from frozen poo poo you'd get at a chain restaurant. If anything the chain restaurants are probably at least hygienic - it seems like in my hometown when a new non-chain restaurant opens up you find out a few months down the road that they have a massive amount of health code violations and shut down, only to be replaced by an equally bland inauthentic new one.

There are exceptions like maybe if you live in a big city, but in more suburbish/small town areas "hole in the wall" local-run restaurants are more likely to sell you food poisoning than authentic delicious food.

There is a cafe in my town that everyone raves about and I got what had to be the most insane messup of the easiest food imaginable the only time I went there. They gave me a grilled cheese that they somehow prepared with no butter (I’m assuming) that literally didn’t taste like anything but toast and the tomato soup was either massively over cooked or had been sitting out all day because it was basically marinara sauce consistency and just tasted like burnt ketchup. I don’t know if it was some cook putting in their resignation or what but I was blown away by it. That place is one of the highest rated in town too

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

There is a cafe in my town that everyone raves about and I got what had to be the most insane messup of the easiest food imaginable the only time I went there. They gave me a grilled cheese that they somehow prepared with no butter (I’m assuming) that literally didn’t taste like anything but toast and the tomato soup was either massively over cooked or had been sitting out all day because it was basically marinara sauce consistency and just tasted like burnt ketchup. I don’t know if it was some cook putting in their resignation or what but I was blown away by it. That place is one of the highest rated in town too

There's a breakfast place where I grew up that's like this. It's always packed and everyone says it's the best restaurant in town for breakfast, but I was very underwhelmed. The only plus I have to give them is they actually poach the eggs on their eggs benedicts unlike dennys et al. who just slap an over easy egg on it. I mean it's not bad and it's a step above the 24 hour diner places like ihop etc but people oversell it way too hard.

Also grilled cheese without butter sounds awful. I know firsthand when I was hungover with only bread and cheese in the house and i didn't want to go shopping so I just made plain toast, put the cheese in it and microwaved it until it melted. I would not recommend.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made one in a little bit of bacon fat when I was out of butter once. It was fine, but probably took a decade off my life.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Even if you're adjusting the grading curve because it's a kids' movie, The Goonies is only "okay" at best.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nameless Pete posted:

Even if you're adjusting the grading curve because it's a kids' movie, The Goonies is only "okay" at best.

:mad:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Nameless Pete posted:

Die hopelessly in a car accident

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do they make kids' movies at all where the kids curse at each other and get into genuine peril like The Goonies or Stand By Me or even The Monster Squad any more or am I just overestimating how common movies like that actually were?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do they make kids' movies at all where the kids curse at each other and get into genuine peril like The Goonies or Stand By Me or even The Monster Squad any more or am I just overestimating how common movies like that actually were?

I watched the Monster Squad recently with my nephew, and I had totally forgot Dracula calling a five year old a bitch. :staredog: That wouldn't fly today.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Stranger Things.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stranger Things.

That's not aimed at children is it, though?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Randaconda posted:

My 8 year old nephew likes it. It's basically a pg-13 horror movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randaconda posted:

All fantasy is.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Nameless Pete posted:

:hai:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn’t even like The Goonies as a kid

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Goonies has my favourite Drew Struzan poster:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aren't they remaking it or doing a sequel or something?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I loathe Black Friday. I realize that many people just go out for the good deals, but taking time out of a day meant for being thankful and spending time with loved ones to stand in line for 15% off a toaster oven seems really bankrupt to me. It's fine to have a day devoted to the "first day of the holiday buying season", but the frenzy caused by Black Friday events is out of control and leaking too much into Thanksgiving. If you must go and do your holiday shopping, at least wait until Friday and spend some time with your friends/family.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's fun as a kid to go out in the middle of the night with your friends (with your parents' money) and participate in something really weird+crazy but as an adult there is no appeal. Just do the online deals or nothing, saving 50 bucks on a TV isn't worth getting up at 3 in the morning or even worse lining up on thanksgiving night and camping out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sounds like you just don't have any good restaurants around you. Theres usually plenty of local places that blow chain restaurants out of the water wherever you go.

The ones that I can't stand, are these buzzword driven, phony fine dining restaurants. Trendy places where your bartender is some bearded guy with a leather apron. it doesn't matter if everything is locally sourced and organic if you can't cook and your recipes suck. I feel like I've been stuck eating at those places so many times and the food is rarely good, I usually leave hungry, and it's impossible to get out spending less than $50 a person. They are always so highly rated and drat near all of them are poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Sounds like you just don't have any good restaurants around you.

Hence why I put in the caveat at the end that it's not necessarily true in big cities, which I do not and have never lived in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know you covered that. The general sentiment doesn't really work if it only applies to the small town you live in though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I know you covered that. The general sentiment doesn't really work if it only applies to the small town you live in though.

It's true in a lot of places though. Not everywhere is a NYC or san francisco or whatever where actual quality local restaurants can thrive.

The point was that the local restaurants in lovely areas (which is a lot of the US) get the same praise as the actual good ones in the cities that have the money/consistent clientele to pull it off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’mma specifically say that most big city local pizza in NYC or Toronto I’ve had was bleh. Not awful but not good.

Imo the way to go with local places is either immgrant-run or regional specialty. Frex my texas hometown has some great bbq, tamales, etc being sold out of shacks but local pizza or cajun or chinese? Nope. Hit up the Hut or PF Chang’s if you want decent quality.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Not related at all, but where the hell is your avatar from?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3gYwjLWjs8

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been wondering that for SO loving LONG

THANK you

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So that trailer made me look up the game and now I'm disappointed.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I watched the Super Best Friends play it and it looks like a badass beat-em-up.

I'd have loved it when I was little.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

So that trailer made me look up the game and now I'm disappointed.

Yeah :lol: i haven't even played it. it actually looks decent just not the type of thing I play much anymore.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

It's true in a lot of places though. Not everywhere is a NYC or san francisco or whatever where actual quality local restaurants can thrive.

The point was that the local restaurants in lovely areas (which is a lot of the US) get the same praise as the actual good ones in the cities that have the money/consistent clientele to pull it off.

When I'm road tripping long distance I try to pull off and hunt down the local joint instead of just getting whatever fast food is by the gas station and I don't think I've ever been disappointed :shrug:

But, the towns that have exits on a major interstate route are probably going to be getting by ok. When you start getting off the beaten path a bit, yeah, the restaurants just start serving despair.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never been impressed by any brunch item. It's always some variation of eggs and bacon and toast. It's good but not anything extraordinary. People just love brunch as an excuse to get hammered at 11am.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

When I'm road tripping long distance I try to pull off and hunt down the local joint instead of just getting whatever fast food is by the gas station and I don't think I've ever been disappointed :shrug:

But, the towns that have exits on a major interstate route are probably going to be getting by ok. When you start getting off the beaten path a bit, yeah, the restaurants just start serving despair.

Truck stops are an exception I think. They are almost always good (albeit pretty unhealthy, but nobody goes to the truck stop wanting to get a egg white and spinach omelette or whatever).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Truck stops are an exception I think. They are almost always good (albeit pretty unhealthy, but nobody goes to the truck stop wanting to get a egg white and spinach omelette or whatever).

:agreed: but I'm talking about actually heading into town and hitting up the cafe (which like half the time is going to be the same deal as the truck stop, but sometimes you'll hit gold and just get some crazy fresh and good food.)

Buuut I think this is still ultimately dependent on having a major truck stop or other big draw for the town, because you're not really going to find that out in the actual middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar
You should never coddle your kids, whether that means preventing them from doing things other kids are doing/being exposed to certain adult material at a reasonable age (like past 14) or preventing them from experiencing a consequence for their actions. That doesn't do the kid any favors.

A lot of parents I've noticed tend to be overly anxious about their kids & then later in life act apologetic about it, like they were/are only that way because they're a parent, when in reality that's a choice you make as a parent to be overly concerned about your child. I don't think most kids of parents like that appreciate it.